Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37X NEEDS manufacture update on the DS Mode

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2011, 03:33 PM
mymarch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
G37X NEEDS manufacture update on the DS Mode

I have a 2010 G37XS... a trade from the 2008 G35X

DS mode of the G37X does not act like a DS mode vs older Gs.

1) It goes back as if you are running D mode very quickly and goes to high gears

2) Going on turns, it does not downshift as fast as the old Gs unless you give it HARD breaks. And then it upshifts real fast as if you are back in the D mode.

There are several other problems but the final point is that it just DOES NOT ACT LIKE A DS mode and Infiniti needs to update and re-program the DS mode in the new G37. When we are in the DS mode, WE WANT DS performance and not save a 1$ or 2$.

Please pass this info and get this matter heard by Infiniti so that they would send out a patch or update the ECU.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:40 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
mymarch: Unfortuantely, the new 2010 G37s do not Drive like my older 07 G35 in D Mode or DS Mode. It's the result of "new technology" of the 7 speed AT. Check the treads about the Transmission Issues. There are at least 10 pages of messages (including a number left by me) about the TSB ITB10-077 which deals with the 4 to 3 hard shift BUT seems applicable to other driveability issues of the 7 AT Auto G37s....... There are posts from people that have had the Reflash of the ECU done - some good results, some No Change results, some - I guess bad results... I was supposed to get it done, but I "chickened" out for now. I'm still testing mine. After 8 k miles on the car, I have found it less jerky (not Gone but less offensive), But a slight Lag exists. I know what you mean about the DS mode, it is differently different in this car, but as noted earlier, the blame lies on the 7 spd AT. Better mileage is there - at least I'm seeing that over my 07 G35X.
Old 01-10-2011, 04:50 PM
TheIvoryG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mymarch
1) It goes back as if you are running D mode very quickly and goes to high gears

2) Going on turns, it does not downshift as fast as the old Gs unless you give it HARD breaks. And then it upshifts real fast as if you are back in the D mode.
I don't mean for this to sound bad...but are you sure you are driving in DS and not in D? The above two points are exactly how the car should act in D. If you are truly in DS, I would bring it in as there is something wrong. I have had two Gs, and my DS works for the most part the same in my '10 as it did in my '07.
Old 01-10-2011, 05:23 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It looks to me like the OP does not drive it hard enough on D or DS and the computer has adapted to your style. Just my 2c.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:04 AM
smashhell

Originally Posted by hadokenuh
It looks to me like the OP does not drive it hard enough on D or DS and the computer has adapted to your style. Just my 2c.
Does the car's computer actually do that ?

Do you HAVE to drive your G like a madman all the time in order for it to be responsive ? lol
Old 01-11-2011, 02:14 AM
jhenka

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
OP try this...
1. Unhook the negative terminal ~10 mins.
2. Wire it all back together
3. Reset your windows.
4. Drive your car like you stole it for ~10-15 miles.
5. Enjoy!

These cars come with a dynamic "learning computer" if the car feels sluggish, thats because its used to you driving it like a grandaddy!!!
Old 01-11-2011, 08:31 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by smashhell

Do you HAVE to drive your G like a madman all the time in order for it to be responsive ? lol
Yes it does that. It changes the shifting patterns mostly. My DS mode is now very much like my D if I am just driving along. It is only different if I punch it or brake, then it will hold gears longer. Once my speed steadies, it goes right back to being like D.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:55 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by jhenka
OP try this...
3. Reset your windows.
5. Enjoy!

These cars come with a dynamic "learning computer" if the car feels sluggish, thats because its used to you driving it like a grandaddy!!!
thats a cool signature picture.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 AM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by KLB
Yes it does that. It changes the shifting patterns mostly. My DS mode is now very much like my D if I am just driving along. It is only different if I punch it or brake, then it will hold gears longer. Once my speed steadies, it goes right back to being like D.
Which is exactly what it should do. Act more or less like D for placid driving, but with cat-like response switch to sport mode as soon as any aggressive throttle or brakes or cornering occurs.

Would we want a stupid car that holds gears and acts like you are racing it ALL THE TIME IT IS IN "DS" MODE even though you are experiencing a variety of conditions? If you are at a race track, you should be using manual mode. If it is in DS, it means you still want some automatic operation.
Old 01-11-2011, 12:11 PM
jhenka

Originally Posted by cvroom
thats a cool signature picture.
thanks! believe it or not there wasn't any photo shop involved just point and shoot
Old 01-11-2011, 11:24 PM
roots4x

I obviously can't compare new and old, partly because I have a 6MT, but I'd imagine that putting a car in DS wouldn't stick it in gear forever. I mean, automatic transmissions are smart, but they can't read your mind. If you really want that much control, why not use the stick and shift yourself?

I feel you though. Being used to one thing and getting another can be jarring.
Old 01-12-2011, 12:29 AM
devil2k
Registered Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by hadokenuh

Yes, my tiny little underpowered Mazda 3 2.0L ATX likes to rev till redline. It's been well trained...
Old 01-12-2011, 08:15 PM
smashhell

Originally Posted by jhenka
OP try this...
3. Reset your windows.
5. Enjoy!

So ... I am driving my car like a grandpa for it's breakin period.

Do you suggest it's a good thing to do to reset the terminal right after the 1000 miles mark ? Is it gonna have a noticeable improvement ? Also, if someone else drive my car, would it "relearn" into being sluggish again ?

Thanks !
Old 01-12-2011, 11:36 PM
jhenka

So ... I am driving my car like a grandpa for it's breakin period.

Do you suggest it's a good thing to do to reset the terminal right after the 1000 miles mark ? Is it gonna have a noticeable improvement ? Also, if someone else drive my car, would it "relearn" into being sluggish again ?

Thanks !
Ok here's how it works it relearns while you drive it, so figure you drive it like a grandpa but then you put the foot down and you go nuts for a little, the car will get up and go but eventually go back to the grandaddy state. When you do a terminal reset and drive it nuts for a little while that will be the default grandaddy state. It will hold the Revs generally be more responsive, until you reteach it the grandaddy state which will take ~30-40 regular miles. The grandaddy state is made to be more economical, so it will always eventually go back to it because you won't always drive it like you stole it... Thats what I did, first 1250 miles I drove it slow then after that did a reset and drove it like I stole it, I really can't complain it still gets up and goes verry nicely and I just hit 10k. If after all that it still isn't responsive invest in the black Betty grounding wires, they tend to solve the lag problem to a certain extent.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:22 AM
KLB

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Which is exactly what it should do. Act more or less like D for placid driving, but with cat-like response switch to sport mode as soon as any aggressive throttle or brakes or cornering occurs.

Would we want a stupid car that holds gears and acts like you are racing it ALL THE TIME IT IS IN "DS" MODE even though you are experiencing a variety of conditions? If you are at a race track, you should be using manual mode. If it is in DS, it means you still want some automatic operation.
It is vastly different than it was when I bought the car. It often won't even drop gears when you move from D to DS on the highway any more.

It is far from cat-like now. I honestly would prefer something between what it was when I bought it and what it is now. I don't want to start over and reset the ECM though.