Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

HELP ! My engine is acting weird (600 mileage only)

Search this Thread

Old 12-31-2010, 09:16 PM
smashhell

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
HELP ! My engine is acting weird (600 mileage only)

I need help please.

Something went wrong with my brand new 2011 G37 coupe with only 600 miles on it.

The engine was acting weird when I started it today. It constantly vibrates/shakes, and the RPM never drop below 1200. It isn't a cold day(around 55'F) and I let it idle for more than 10 minutes. It still does it.

On top of that the "Service Engine Soon" light is on (I did make sure the fuel cap is tight, so that didn't cause it). When I tried driving, that light will keep flashing.

When I drive the car, the engine will make this weird noise almost like a motorcycle vibrating exhaust noise. When I tried stepping on the gas all the way, the RPM will not go over 4k.

It feels like something seriously is wrong with my car, please help !

*I filled my tank with Shell V-Power yesterday, that couldn't have caused it could it ? lol
Old 12-31-2010, 09:23 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
When Service Engine Soon light is on, don't drive. You could damage the engine if you continue to use your car when that light is on.

Call road side assistant to bring it to the dealer.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:35 PM
HappyG

It could be the gas you put in. Maybe contaminated. Let the dealer figure that out for you. Don't start your car, not worth the risk; let them tow it to the dealer. Good Luck.
Old 12-31-2010, 09:59 PM
Doggy

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Ya if the service engine light is solid it means the gas cap, if it's flashing it means something else that can't be good, take it to dealer.
Old 12-31-2010, 10:08 PM
NYCMaxima

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Do dealers keep G37's on the lot with premium gas?
Old 12-31-2010, 10:12 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
your car went into 'limp mode'. call the dealer to have them take a look. the check engine light could be anything, if you have an OBD II scanner or an Autozone nearby you can narrow down the cause.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:14 AM
smashhell

Thank you all for your help !

I was going to drive my car to the dealer since it still "moves". But I guess that was a bad idea lol.

I definitely need to take it in to the dealer to have them look at it. The car really shouldn't broke down like this with barely 600 miles on it.

The only problem is the dealer won't open for tomorrow or the day after that because of Holiday. So I am going have to wait till monday. Guess no car for me for the next few days than.

*I'll update on the status once I get the car in.

Originally Posted by rks
your car went into 'limp mode'. call the dealer to have them take a look. the check engine light could be anything, if you have an OBD II scanner or an Autozone nearby you can narrow down the cause.
Ahhh so thats what it is. I honestly thought the engine was going to die on me or even explode lol. Does the car do that when there is a major failure in the engine or something ?

Last edited by smashhell; 01-01-2011 at 02:13 AM.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:01 PM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

I love posts like these, they make me laugh. "OMG, my car is broke and I have 600 miles on it!!!!" Um, hellooooooo. It's a brand new car, have the dealer figure it out FOR FREE instead of you trying to figure it out on a forum. 4 year/60K Warranty....LOL
Old 01-01-2011, 12:07 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Is it possible that you may have accidentally put diesel fuel in the tank?
The only other fuel related problem that would cause this would be bad gas.
If you had put regular or mid-grade gas in the engine, it would not act like that.
Tom
Old 01-01-2011, 12:19 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
When Service Engine Soon light is on, don't drive. You could damage the engine if you continue to use your car when that light is on.

Call road side assistant to bring it to the dealer.

The "Service Engine Soon" light is just a reminder to have maintenance done on the vehicle. It's not harmful to drive when this light is on.

The "MIL" (malfunction indicator lamp), otherwise known as the "check engine light" is what indicates a problem with the vehicle. When the MIL is flashing, you shouldn't drive your car because you can cause damage to it. Typically, the damage can be caused because the engine has a misfire and there is raw fuel entering the exhaust system, which can damage the catalytic converter. If the MIL is on, but not flashing, it's okay to drive the vehicle. But you should still get it checked out and repaired ASAP.
Old 01-01-2011, 12:21 PM
MSCA
Banned

Originally Posted by smashhell
I need help please.

Something went wrong with my brand new 2011 G37 coupe with only 600 miles on it.

The engine was acting weird when I started it today. It constantly vibrates/shakes, and the RPM never drop below 1200. It isn't a cold day(around 55'F) and I let it idle for more than 10 minutes. It still does it.

On top of that the "Service Engine Soon" light is on (I did make sure the fuel cap is tight, so that didn't cause it). When I tried driving, that light will keep flashing.
Before you do anything, try this: Disconnect the negative battery cable and leave it disconnected for about 15 or 20 minutes. Then reconnect it and see if the car returns to normal.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:17 PM
SPDCRZ

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts
Just take it to the dealer! Stop trying to fool around fixing it yourself. Its only 1 day, I am sure you can survive.
Old 01-01-2011, 03:40 PM
smashhell

Originally Posted by movinon
Is it possible that you may have accidentally put diesel fuel in the tank?
The only other fuel related problem that would cause this would be bad gas.
If you had put regular or mid-grade gas in the engine, it would not act like that.
Tom
I still have the receipt from the gas station and nope just regular 91 gas.

Originally Posted by MSCA
The "Service Engine Soon" light is just a reminder to have maintenance done on the vehicle. It's not harmful to drive when this light is on.

The "MIL" (malfunction indicator lamp), otherwise known as the "check engine light" is what indicates a problem with the vehicle. When the MIL is flashing, you shouldn't drive your car because you can cause damage to it. Typically, the damage can be caused because the engine has a misfire and there is raw fuel entering the exhaust system, which can damage the catalytic converter. If the MIL is on, but not flashing, it's okay to drive the vehicle. But you should still get it checked out and repaired ASAP.
Yeah the MIL light didn't light up, just the Service Engine Soon light. But it doesn't stay solid. It constantly flashes when I tried to drive the car.

Originally Posted by BradManUWF
I love posts like these, they make me laugh. "OMG, my car is broke and I have 600 miles on it!!!!" Um, hellooooooo. It's a brand new car, have the dealer figure it out FOR FREE instead of you trying to figure it out on a forum. 4 year/60K Warranty....LOL
I am sorry I know I am overreacting a bit. But I can't take it to the dealer till Monday(because of Holiday) so I was gonna ask some help.

And many people was great help ! Thanks everyone !
Old 01-03-2011, 04:00 PM
smashhell

Ok, I got my car towed to the dealer and have them take a look at it.

They told me the reason my car is acting this way is because there are rodent damage. apparently some rats climbed inside my car and damaged some wires.

They want to charge me $700 buck to take apart my intake and parts to take a look at whats broken. And it's NOT covered under warranty so I have to pay out of my pocket.

Does this happen alot ? Of all the cars me and my family had, this never happened before. It sucks that I have to pay a grand(probably gonna have to) in repair for a car thats barely one month old.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:01 PM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
Originally Posted by smashhell
Ok, I got my car towed to the dealer and have them take a look at it.

They told me the reason my car is acting this way is because there are rodent damage. apparently some rats climbed inside my car and damaged some wires.

They want to charge me $700 buck to take apart my intake and parts to take a look at whats broken. And it's NOT covered under warranty so I have to pay out of my pocket.

Does this happen alot ? Of all the cars me and my family had, this never happened before. It sucks that I have to pay a grand(probably gonna have to) in repair for a car thats barely one month old.
\

Call your insurance, that most likely be covered under comprehensive.

Quick Reply: HELP ! My engine is acting weird (600 mileage only)