Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

HELP ! My engine is acting weird (600 mileage only)

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2011, 04:05 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by smashhell
They told me the reason my car is acting this way is because there are rodent damage. apparently some rats climbed inside my car and damaged some wires.
What??? This is a first. I guess rats love your new G...it is just too attractive!

Good luck with the repair.
Old 01-03-2011, 04:22 PM
Coprolite

I would have them show me the evidence. It would be more likely to be eaten by rodents on the boat ride over than in someone's house... The problem wouldn't necessarily show itself right away until wires short to each other or to ground. Of course, now you'll say that you park it in your barn and lubed a wiring harness squeek with cheese spray...
Old 01-03-2011, 04:34 PM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Coprolite
I would have them show me the evidence. It would be more likely to be eaten by rodents on the boat ride over than in someone's house... The problem wouldn't necessarily show itself right away until wires short to each other or to ground. Of course, now you'll say that you park it in your barn and lubed a wiring harness squeek with cheese spray...
Good post
Old 01-03-2011, 04:50 PM
smashhell

I would have them show me the evidence. It would be more likely to be eaten by rodents on the boat ride over than in someone's house...
That is very true, I haven't thought of that. I didn't park my car in the garage. My car was parked on the driveway, there is nothing next to my car. No other cars got damaged but only mine. It doesn't add up =/
Old 01-04-2011, 01:07 AM
needsoju
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Smashhell,

are you messing with our b*lls or are you serious about rodent damage?
I have never heard of this.. This sounds unbelievable.
Old 01-04-2011, 01:38 AM
majin ssj eric

I have heard of this (Inside Line's LT Corvette had a dead rat in its engine). Still, I'd investigate further before paying anything out of pocket...
Old 01-04-2011, 02:10 AM
BradManUWF
Registered Member

I've found a mouse sitting on top of my first truck's radiator on a cold day after shortly driving home from school. Guess he liked the warmth coming from it. Well I saw him after I opened the hood to check stuff, and he jumped into the engine area and I never found saw him come out underneath. Well, a couple weeks later there was a smell of roadkill coming from under my hood. So I can vouch for rodents being found under the hood, and I've definitely heard of them chewing on wires and such in houses and cars. So I believe it, but the hard part is knowing when it happened and I can't really fault the dealer for not repairing it for free since it wasn't doing it when it left the lot, it's not a warranty item, and there's no way of knowing when it happened. Call your insurance, I'm sure that's covered and I hope you don't have a $1000 deductible. You could also just repair the damage yourself. All the wires are color-coded so it wouldn't be hard to remove bad spots and reconnect them, would just be tedious.
Old 01-04-2011, 05:44 AM
smashhell

Originally Posted by test007
Smashhell,

No I am not messing with anyone.

This is what my dealer told me in exact words.

There are rodent damage in the engine compartment of my car. Some rats crawled inside my car and chewed up some wires.

They even showed me that I have rat sh*t inside my engine ! Biggest surpsie of my life !

Originally Posted by BradManUWF
I've found a mouse sitting on top of my first truck's radiator on a cold day after shortly driving home from school. Guess he liked the warmth coming from it. Well I saw him after I opened the hood to check stuff, and he jumped into the engine area and I never found saw him come out underneath. Well, a couple weeks later there was a smell of roadkill coming from under my hood. So I can vouch for rodents being found under the hood, and I've definitely heard of them chewing on wires and such in houses and cars. So I believe it, but the hard part is knowing when it happened and I can't really fault the dealer for not repairing it for free since it wasn't doing it when it left the lot, it's not a warranty item, and there's no way of knowing when it happened. Call your insurance, I'm sure that's covered and I hope you don't have a $1000 deductible. You could also just repair the damage yourself. All the wires are color-coded so it wouldn't be hard to remove bad spots and reconnect them, would just be tedious.
Yep, my dealer told me they wouldn't cover it under warranty too. Because it happened 1 month after it left the lot so they're not at fault.

The worst part though, is that I called my insurance and they said they wouldn't cover rodent damage as well. Not even with deductible and stuff.

I am just having the worst of luck buying a brand new car and less than a month I have to pay at least $700 buck out of pocket for repair already.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:32 AM
MSCA
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by test007
Smashhell,

It's actually a lot more common than most people would believe. Rodents are somehow attracted to the insulation on wiring and wiring harnesses. I've seen some severe damage done to cars by rats and mice. They can chew through harnesses and calls all kinds of short circuits.
Old 01-04-2011, 08:34 AM
Coprolite

If there was corrosion on the exposed bits, i would have raised hell if I were in your position. Given the droppings, you may be SOL. Were they in a location that you know was clean on delivery? I know that I looked over my engine pretty well...

First the floods, now the rats. What next?
Old 01-04-2011, 08:46 AM
JohnEnglish
Registered Member

I know some people who park their cars outside and have had mice and racoons make nests in the engine bays and chewed one wires and hoses.
Old 01-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Kidcane
Florida G Club

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Sorry but I lol'd when I read "rodent damage" but this does happen all the time. I remember a thread on Driver where it looked like a family of mice were living in some dudes air ducts. Had a nice little nest built and everything.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:11 AM
TVPostSound
Registered Member

Received 115 Likes on 88 Posts
It.s not unheard of.
Here in SoCal the weather's bit kinda cold, and critters love the engine heat.

Sorry to hear that.

Did you check your homeowners policy, (assuming you live in a house)

Old 01-04-2011, 05:58 PM
smashhell

If there was corrosion on the exposed bits, i would have raised hell if I were in your position. Given the droppings, you may be SOL. Were they in a location that you know was clean on delivery? I know that I looked over my engine pretty well...

First the floods, now the rats. What next?
Yeah I am pretty sure the dealer were in a clean location, it's a pretty clean and open lot.

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
I know some people who park their cars outside and have had mice and racoons make nests in the engine bays and chewed one wires and hoses.
I parked my car outside because my garage being "full". It happened during the week when we had 10 days straight rain in So Cal. Guess some rats was looking for a place to hide and decide my engine bay is a good place to get away from the rain.
Old 01-05-2011, 02:12 AM
y3chen86

I once had a rodent climb into my engine bay. When I turned on the car, it was shredded to pieces while destroying my timing belt. I opened my hood and saw rodent blood and guts everywhere. Quite disgusting... and it's not uncommon for rodents to climb into the engine bay of cars...

Quick Reply: HELP ! My engine is acting weird (600 mileage only)