Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Review Stillen SC, Tranny Cooler and Exhaust Install

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2011, 07:13 PM
mikelr

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
i learned from other members, they say Hi flow CAT's will eventually fail on SC cars. only a matter of time and i'll decide which ones i'm gonna go with when i get down to GTM
As compared to stock cats? GTM bases their kit on using stock cats, I just happened to already have had HFC's before hand and didn't want to swap back. I would assume that the failure that you speak of would be due to the SC'd motor running a rich mixture and dumping additional unburnt fuel down the exhaust to react in the cats and higher EGT's from the elevated hp levels..melting them over time. I would imagine the HFC would resist this over the stock piece due to less restriction and possibly due to the metallic core material it is made of.
If there are any GTM systems out there that are running HFC's and have had failures due to the SC system, I'd like to hear about them...

Last edited by mikelr; 01-09-2011 at 07:15 PM. Reason: add more info
Old 01-09-2011, 07:59 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by mikelr
As compared to stock cats? GTM bases their kit on using stock cats, I just happened to already have had HFC's before hand and didn't want to swap back. I would assume that the failure that you speak of would be due to the SC'd motor running a rich mixture and dumping additional unburnt fuel down the exhaust to react in the cats and higher EGT's from the elevated hp levels..melting them over time. I would imagine the HFC would resist this over the stock piece due to less restriction and possibly due to the metallic core material it is made of.
If there are any GTM systems out there that are running HFC's and have had failures due to the SC system, I'd like to hear about them...
yeah, i know. i'm just hearing what others had posted about it and not saying that it will melt or fail. i sure hope not since most more than likely i will be running my stock cat's.
Old 01-09-2011, 08:27 PM
4drScreamer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the time they fail, you'll be onto a new setup (or car) anyway!
Old 01-09-2011, 08:45 PM
Buddy Revell

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mikelr
Does Berk make high flow cats for factory turbocharged cars? Perhaps their cats are more durable than Stillens? On a related note, anyone with an SC or TT Z/G have an EGT gauge to see what kind of exhaust temps we're dealing with here?
Old 01-09-2011, 08:52 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by Buddy Revell
Does Berk make high flow cats for factory turbocharged cars? Perhaps their cats are more durable than Stillens? On a related note, anyone with an SC or TT Z/G have an EGT gauge to see what kind of exhaust temps we're dealing with here?
Shumby has one!
Old 01-09-2011, 09:38 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Berk does make HFC for the Evos.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:16 PM
dal1307

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
OK folks, I am dropping her off at MAC tomorrow to start the install. I can't stay long tomorrow morning but I will try to take some pictures of the shop. This will be my last post to this thread. I will start a new one after this. Wish me luck and Wei, I hope your new install turns out great, keep us posted.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:26 PM
Weiboy718

Originally Posted by dal1307
OK folks, I am dropping her off at MAC tomorrow to start the install. I can't stay long tomorrow morning but I will try to take some pictures of the shop. This will be my last post to this thread. I will start a new one after this. Wish me luck and Wei, I hope your new install turns out great, keep us posted.
hey! Good Luck on your build! mines is next week and you know for sure that a new GTM vs Stillen thread will pop up soon!

AK locked up my thread for some reason LOL.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:45 PM
4drScreamer

Good luck! Keep us posted. I hope it all goes great.
Old 01-12-2011, 04:38 PM
akuma_83

Goodluck ! And I hope you reach your power goal !
Old 01-12-2011, 05:33 PM
GraphiteG37S

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts
Good luck OP... looking forward to your built/review. Come join us in this thread from time to time to talk some BS! lol. GL.
Originally Posted by Weiboy718
hey! Good Luck on your build! mines is next week and you know for sure that a new GTM vs Stillen thread will pop up soon!

AK locked up my thread for some reason LOL.
Yeah, I can't believe AK locked your **** up on 370... That whack... You're gonna have to make another thread with your comparison between your Stillen & GTM kits.. Hopefully they won't shut you down over there. And GL next week at GTM! hit me up if you're gonna be chillin there and I'll try and make the trip if I'm not at school or work!
Old 01-12-2011, 09:53 PM
superchargedg

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good luck man!!!