Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2012, 11:09 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by matchan
Time for a 12?
matchan, That statement could very well be part of the Lag" (excuse the Pun Please), the 09ers are feeling the "Fix".... Car makers Think of Everything - like a 3 year life based on leases coming due for 09 Leases. But on the other hand, would a displeased 09 owner go into a new 2012 ??? I would bet that the Fix will be issued for the 09 Gs....I posted earlier: Keep emailing and calling Infiniti Consumer Affairs and your dealers. This TSB only came out May 15th. The M owners are waiting too.
Old 06-09-2012, 11:17 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
NB: I had to escalate the TSB issue to the Service director as initially 2 different advisers told me that this is not applicable to my car as the VIN did not bring up the TSB automatically. A call to Infiniti tech line suggested they upgrade their software from Consult 3 to Consult 3c (or v)

I also had to insist with the Dealer (Pepe Infiniti) to double check the applicability to my car. At first, I was told No Go for me !!!!! After the tech went to Consult 3c (?), it was discovered that my G37X was applicable.

Like so many have said already, a number of differences in the vehicle are Immediately apparent.

The change in the car gives you a new positive feeling : If it doesn't rain today - I think I'll Wax 'er Again...
Old 06-09-2012, 11:43 AM
harp00n

Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts
Btw, does this new fix include coupes or not?
Old 06-09-2012, 11:51 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
If they designed it to be downright dangerous, they should pay for it in more ways than one.

Im going to go out on a limb and say they didnt "re-design" it because of a vocal few on this forum. There were actual issues (including that "in limbo" lag that could have caused an accident) that Infiniti knew about at some point, and they've at least attempted to fix it.

To me design is the transmission as a whole. Software + hardware. I think the DESIGN is OK. I think they failed in their IMPLEMENTATION, and are trying to correct that failure.
I can't comment on this, since I never felt any "danger" from driving the car. What I found myself doing though, is when I needed acceleration, I slammed the shift lever to the left, much like changing gears. No more lag. So maybe because I compensated, I never had an issue.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:01 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
matchan, That statement could very well be part of the Lag" (excuse the Pun Please), the 09ers are feeling the "Fix".... Car makers Think of Everything - like a 3 year life based on leases coming due for 09 Leases. But on the other hand, would a displeased 09 owner go into a new 2012 ??? I would bet that the Fix will be issued for the 09 Gs....I posted earlier: Keep emailing and calling Infiniti Consumer Affairs and your dealers. This TSB only came out May 15th. The M owners are waiting too.
I'm betting Infiniti will want the leased 09's updated as a valued customer goodwill gesture, befitting a luxury brand such as Infiniti. Also.. before the 09's are turned back in and have to be resold. As a sidebar, IMHO, there is a four year run on lemon laws for the 09's in at least some states. (If the car was "safe and operating as designed", the updates would not have been necessary for the 2010-2011 MY.)

Last edited by Boomer-Bob; 06-09-2012 at 12:02 PM. Reason: To improve the reader experiance, and my crappy paste
Old 06-09-2012, 12:14 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by harp00n
Btw, does this new fix include coupes or not?
Yep, it fixed my coupe.
Old 06-09-2012, 12:50 PM
matchan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
The change in the car gives you a new positive feeling :
Amen to that brother!

Went for a drive again this morning. Felt like a kid driving a race car for the first time. Had a big grin on my face. All this at street legal speeds - the mellow engine and torque available at lower rpm changes the character of the car.

Wife went to some party today and I insisted she take my car so she could experience the superlative driving characteristics for herself... Hope she does not try to keep the car for herself!

I am guessing the learning transmission has been reset. So only time will tell
how this holds up (i.e does it remain the same or get better)!
Old 06-09-2012, 12:53 PM
matchan

At some level, I was a bit dissatisfied with the car, and since I always wanted a convertible as weekend car, i was shopping around... looking at vettes, m3's etc, while keeping the g37 as a DD.

Now, I dont have the urge for something different or better. I still want a convertible, but that can wait - i get all the joys I need for now thanks to the new TSB in my G!
Old 06-09-2012, 01:19 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Went for a drive again this morning. Felt like a kid driving a race car for the first time. Had a big grin on my face. All this at street legal speeds - the mellow engine and torque available at lower rpm changes the character of the car.
Lower end torque is making it easier and more pleasurable to drive in stop and go traffic conditions such as in NYC. Prior to the update, I always have to worry about when it will lag...now I can be myself and enjoy zipping thru traffic, so far so good.

Wife went to some party today and I insisted she take my car so she could experience the superlative driving characteristics for herself... Hope she does not try to keep the car for herself!
I told my wife about the re-flash. She took my G for the day right after I come back from the dealer. When she came home in the evening, she was like this:
Old 06-09-2012, 01:46 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Absolutely correct about the stop and go driving.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:35 PM
Imua1

Yes, there is a difference between the 2010 & 2012. I drove the 2012 extensively for the past 3 days almost 100 miles/day just to get the feel. The 2012 has less hesitation than the 2010. Thats the only difference

So if you are a disconcerting driver, and you drive them one after another , you will be able to tell the difference. However, the difference is not large enough to "feel remorse" over. The update to the 2010 is so huge and so close to the 2012 that you dont feel left out.

Thats just natural evolution. Even with no visible changes, some things usually become better - maybe they used a different vendor for tranny parts , maybe there is a sub version of the TSB that 2010 wont get , maybe there is a subtle hardware difference that is not published etc.

Either way, be happy Infiniti has done something for 2010-11 owners and not washed their hands off. Can they do more ? Absolutely. But they made me very happy with this TSB. Hope the 09'ers get the update sometime soon
Agree, "they can do more" and will keep the complaint active through the power train warranty till they get it right.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:43 PM
Imua1

Originally Posted by mikeb2004
I agree - it's great now in my opinion. Good enough that I don't care to sweat the subtleties any further. In fact am 100% comfortable with a new model year being "better" than my previous model year. All I was looking for was correcting the defects. It's a great performing transmission now, comparable to the competition, not as good in some ways perhaps, but better in other ways I think. Doesn't have to be an exact carbon copy of 2012, even though it feels too close to call, to me. They are not obligated to make it exactly like a 12. They are only obligated to make it work properly, which it does now.

Yes, we can certainly agree to disagree about how well the transmission works, that is subjective of course and open to debate...

I'm going to be analytical about infiniti's statement in their email, just because I deal with this sort of language all the time. I think maybe you're reading too far into that sentence. If you hang around with lawyers a lot, you will find that they always make statements like this. These statements are expressly for the purpose of clarifying that nothing in fact was or is being said. It's very typical language to disclaim liability. It is intended to say, "we are not saying what you just implied we might be saying". There's nothing in that statement that should lead one to conclude "it is definitely different from 2012". Sure, it could be different. I'm not disputing that opinion. It only means that they are not promising 2012 behavior. Implying or promising ANYthing leads to liability, and they know that anything they say will be posted publicly in a forum. They want to clarify that nothing is implied. They do not want liability. This is VERY typical legalese in my experience.

Now on the other hand, I have spoken to someone who does not spout legalese: My technician says only software has changed. The infiniti techs seem to know what they are talking about (in my experience). The service advisers are as clueless as always. I am more inclined to believe the technician on this one. It's not a certainty that he is right nor truthful, but it is far more likely that this information is useful, than some legalese C.Y.A. B.S. that we've been hearing from day 1 from folks with no technical training whatsoever.

Like I said I am being analytical about this because I deal with it frequently. PLEASE take my paragraph with a grain of salt, as it is not intended to be anything personal, just my own experience with folks who spew this language all the time. When I call them out on it and inquire further, they usually explain that the statement is actually a NONstatement. It drives me nuts

Anyway as I said above, I am at the point where I find the 7AT very satisfying, and no longer want to get rid of the car now. It's comparable to others, so I don't regret the purchase anymore. Hopefully most people will be happy with this transmission now (for their sake, and for Infinitis reputation, I HOPE so!) Automatics in all brands seem to be getting more "character" shall we say, some of it can be odd at times. This trans was far too buggy for a bit too long for my taste. Similarly, I really hope for everyone's sake that Infiniti gets the 09's straightened out soon!!
Oh and the tech I talked with did share there were hardware differences between the 2012 and 2011. Different stories from different people? Discertations aside, it is an issue of cutomer satsifaction....glad your satisfied...I think there is more work to be done on this 7AT (as do others)...again agree to disagree and lets hope Infiniti continues to improve and move foreward with 127A.
Old 06-09-2012, 04:46 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I took my 09 in for trans fluid change (routine maintenance). Dealer said there is a new re flash just came out for the trans. Hollycow, I still have goosebumps after a drive. It felt like a new car, no hesitation, no rubber band, no jerks, just acceleration. I am thrilled.
Old 06-09-2012, 07:23 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by CodeG
I took my 09 in for trans fluid change (routine maintenance). Dealer said there is a new re flash just came out for the trans. Hollycow, I still have goosebumps after a drive. It felt like a new car, no hesitation, no rubber band, no jerks, just acceleration. I am thrilled.
Do you have the service order for this handy? The 09 still doesn't show up on the TSB site, only the 2010&2011s. Have you ever had the trans flashed before? You may have gotten the previous 175A flash, if not I NEED to know how you were able to get this done, PLEASE!!
Old 06-09-2012, 07:47 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I never had my car flashed before. The service manager insisted that the re flash just came out a few days ago. They did not list the actual service number, just "Found tcm update, reprogrammed TCM"
Dealer is OC Infinity.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram