Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2012, 04:47 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Thumbs up My other problem also magically resolved after ITB12-027 was performed!

I drove about 30 miles in mixture of NYC traffic (local & highway) today. The car is very responsive. Maybe a split second lag once or twice, but that is normal automatic behavior, so I don't count it as lag. If my G continue to drive like this, I'll be very happy.

I noticed:

1. More low end torque. May be an illusion, but that is what I observed.

2. Less torque at higher RPM (like 6000 range). Again, maybe it is an illusion because it is a lot smoother through out.

3. Exhaust note is different after the update.

4. As others has already stated, the real time gas mileage indicator, displayed on the left side of my navigation screen, tend to stay near the 30 MPG more. Am I really getting better gas mileage while getting better performance, I don't know. It would be great if it is.

5. MAGICALLY, the strange shutdown noise that I have been experiencing is now GONE!!! The shutdown noise was definitely there right before ITB12-027 was applied. I have started and shut down my car more than 10 times since then and no more shutdown noise from the throttle body. NONE! I don't know what they did or what relationship does the throttle body shutdown noise has to do with ITB12-027, but for sure I'm very happy that the noise is gone now.

For your reference about my engine shut down noise:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...own-noise.html

I'm now a real HappyG!!!
Old 06-08-2012, 04:47 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
^ this is what I was trying to say in an earlier post. the first update fixed the harsh downshifts and mellowed out the car. it seemed less aggressive and have even less torque in the low end then it already does. however, with the new update, the car is more aggressive, with smooth shifts and very minimal lag now. still impressed with it after a week.

What sniper27 said ^^^^....so Far anyway..(500 miles sice Reflash)

You youngans out there probably haven't gone through the 90 or so pages of this thread. And there was another thread addressing the same issue in a different manner last year [I haven't seen recent posts there]. It seems that this thread has become the Favorite. If you read through many of the posts, you will find that members like, sniper, mikeb, chris11, Malu, and some others (and certainly including me, Almatti ) as regular posters to this thread have kept "Up the Fight" on this 7AT displeasure.
At the end of the day: Shame On You, Infiniti for hiding behind the statement: "It is operating as designed"....which was quoted to me on a number of occassions during the pursuance of the complaints I filed with Infiniti's Consumer Affairs, from Dealership Service Managers, District Managers, and Factory Techs.
In summary, the most puzzling thing about this and will remain puzzling, is the fact that the G was top rated Sport Perfromance Sedan by many {in fact a Top Pick in the category by Consumer's Reports for 3 years in a row), Never was the Lagging /hesitation / abrupt shifting, ever presented until recently. One of the menbers cited a link to one of the Major Car Mags some pages back that actually mentioned this issue in Nissan / Infiniti cars (it's a JATCO tranny).

I for one, will continue to monitor this thread, and occassionally post comments, especially if the problems rears It's Ugly Head.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:50 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sorry, HappyG (fellow NYer), I forgot to mention you as a regular Displeased Poster to the Thread.... Now it appears that you really are a : HappyG.
Old 06-08-2012, 05:11 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
What sniper27 said ^^^^....so Far anyway..(500 miles sice Reflash)

You youngans out there probably haven't gone through the 90 or so pages of this thread. And there was another thread addressing the same issue in a different manner last year [I haven't seen recent posts there]. It seems that this thread has become the Favorite. If you read through many of the posts, you will find that members like, sniper, mikeb, chris11, Malu, and some others (and certainly including me, Almatti ) as regular posters to this thread have kept "Up the Fight" on this 7AT displeasure.
At the end of the day: Shame On You, Infiniti for hiding behind the statement: "It is operating as designed"....which was quoted to me on a number of occassions during the pursuance of the complaints I filed with Infiniti's Consumer Affairs, from Dealership Service Managers, District Managers, and Factory Techs.
In summary, the most puzzling thing about this and will remain puzzling, is the fact that the G was top rated Sport Perfromance Sedan by many {in fact a Top Pick in the category by Consumer's Reports for 3 years in a row), Never was the Lagging /hesitation / abrupt shifting, ever presented until recently. One of the menbers cited a link to one of the Major Car Mags some pages back that actually mentioned this issue in Nissan / Infiniti cars (it's a JATCO tranny).

I for one, will continue to monitor this thread, and occassionally post comments, especially if the problems rears It's Ugly Head.
It was operating as designed. Just not the design that you liked.
Old 06-08-2012, 06:16 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
It was operating as designed. Just not the design that you liked.
If they designed it to be downright dangerous, they should pay for it in more ways than one.

Im going to go out on a limb and say they didnt "re-design" it because of a vocal few on this forum. There were actual issues (including that "in limbo" lag that could have caused an accident) that Infiniti knew about at some point, and they've at least attempted to fix it.

To me design is the transmission as a whole. Software + hardware. I think the DESIGN is OK. I think they failed in their IMPLEMENTATION, and are trying to correct that failure.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:33 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
If they designed it to be downright dangerous, they should pay for it in more ways than one.

Im going to go out on a limb and say they didnt "re-design" it because of a vocal few on this forum. There were actual issues (including that "in limbo" lag that could have caused an accident) that Infiniti knew about at some point, and they've at least attempted to fix it.

To me design is the transmission as a whole. Software + hardware. I think the DESIGN is OK. I think they failed in their IMPLEMENTATION, and are trying to correct that failure.
At least most of you are allowed to upgrade your 7ATs, I still don't understand why they're keeping us 09ers on the shelf, we've had to put up w/ these nagging quirks longer than anyone (I'd post an emoticon but there's none that express my true feelings right now).
Old 06-08-2012, 08:22 PM
matchan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking

OK, I finally picked up my 2010 G37 sedan today from the dealer with the following updates:

1) New steering wheel (paint chipping)
2) New driver side seat (excessive cracking, thigh support failing)
3) ITB12-027 applied

Boy oh boy! I feel that this is a BRAND NEW , TOTALLY different car.

Here is what is different
  • New steering is so grippy, looks nicer and feels much better
  • Seat support is SUPERB
  • The engine feels like it gained 35 hp at RPM < 4000
  • The engine is so much quieter and feels less stressed
  • The exhaust note is now raunchy and very much present.
  • The acceleration at lower speed (20-60mph) is phenomenal
  • The lag is about 75% gone. There is still some lag, but it feels normal. No lag would feel like a muscle car!
  • Feels more "torquey"

Overall the car feels faster, smoother, quieter, more eager and like a truer performance car than before. More pronounced torque curve between D and DS

Even my wife after a 1 mile drive from the daycare to home told me the car feels "soooo different and superb

So how does this compare to the 2012 I drove for the past 3 days ? The 2012 seemed to have slightly less lag than this. Cant complain

Overall, the BEST day in the life of my car so far. I am very very happy

If you have not yet gotten this update - RUN , dont walk to your dealer. This TSB transforms your 2010/2011 G37 into a completely different vehicle. There is no going back

NB: I had to escalate the TSB issue to the Service director as initially 2 different advisers told me that this is not applicable to my car as the VIN did not bring up the TSB automatically. A call to Infiniti tech line suggested they upgrade their software from Consult 3 to Consult 3c (or v)

Last edited by matchan; 06-08-2012 at 08:43 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:41 PM
matchan

Originally Posted by blnewt
At least most of you are allowed to upgrade your 7ATs, I still don't understand why they're keeping us 09ers on the shelf, we've had to put up w/ these nagging quirks longer than anyone (I'd post an emoticon but there's none that express my true feelings right now).
Time for a 12?
Old 06-08-2012, 08:50 PM
ljelaw

Took my 2009 G37 in for the update today and sadly can confirm there is no update for 2009s. This BLOWS! Why not? I'm happy for the 10 and 11-ers, but I really feel left out of the party. At least we weren't hallucinating when we identified the issue. And shame on Infiniti for hiding the issue. The masochist in me will probably test a 2012 just to feel what the car could have been like. This has been a rotten experience.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:57 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Ditto (again), see tagline.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:23 PM
matchan

09 owners, you need to escalate. I would say prepare a petition , get enough signatures and send it to Infiniti USA. This update is so huge that its worth it!
Old 06-08-2012, 10:08 PM
Imua1

Originally Posted by mikeb2004
Hmm, maybe your car is different somehow? I spent about an hour, on each of two occasions, playing with the 12 to see how it worked. When I got my 11 back reprogrammed, I played with it too, and to me it drives just like the 12 now. After more driving it continues to drive as well as the 12 as far as I can tell.

Look at my past posts, I have been very negative on this 7AT. I am NOT a fanboy of the 7AT, and have never defended its crappy behavior in the past - this is my own observation now after hating this car and almost putting a deposit on a bmw to trade this in, just a week before the reprogram!

So, I have to respectfully disagree, from my own observations anyway... After plenty of driving I feel that my 11 now drives just like the 12 I drove right before getting the reprogram. This is NOT an awesome automatic like the one in the new bmw I testdrove a couple times, however it does a very nice job now, and it responds when I want it to.

I drive both very aggressively at times and very calmly and it is doing what I expect from an automatic when I compare it to my other cars and when I consider that the new normal for autos is to emphasize fuel mileage (which this car does quite well considering its power). I no longer experience the frustration with it that I did before the reprogram.

For what its worth, my TECHNICIAN said the only difference over the years is the software in the control module. The tech has been very honest. Read my past posts. My tech openly admitted that the throttle response/lag has been a problem they are aware of and he said that it "is much worse on the sedans". So I believe this particular technician. Techs in my experience, do not follow the cover-your-*** routine like all other people at infiniti are trained to.
Guess we can agree to disagree. My quote from the dealer "...Infiniti will not state that after reprogramming your car, it will drive like a 2012...which they gave me via an email) speaks for itself. If it was comprable, am sure Infiniti would have not stated as such. With new TSB its better, but no cigar. Had they given me a 2011 loaner vice a 2012, I would have not known the difference..maybe there will be other updates, like the 075 tsb had a revision a (075a).
Old 06-08-2012, 10:15 PM
matchan

Originally Posted by Imua1
Guess we can agree to disagree. My quote from the dealer "...Infiniti will not state that after reprogramming your car, it will drive like a 2012...which they gave me via an email) speaks for itself. If it was comprable, am sure Infiniti would have not stated as such. With new TSB its better, but no cigar. Had they given me a 2011 loaner vice a 2012, I would have not known the difference..maybe there will be other updates, like the 075 tsb had a revision a (075a).

Yes, there is a difference between the 2010 & 2012. I drove the 2012 extensively for the past 3 days almost 100 miles/day just to get the feel. The 2012 has less hesitation than the 2010. Thats the only difference

So if you are a disconcerting driver, and you drive them one after another , you will be able to tell the difference. However, the difference is not large enough to "feel remorse" over. The update to the 2010 is so huge and so close to the 2012 that you dont feel left out.

Thats just natural evolution. Even with no visible changes, some things usually become better - maybe they used a different vendor for tranny parts , maybe there is a sub version of the TSB that 2010 wont get , maybe there is a subtle hardware difference that is not published etc.

Either way, be happy Infiniti has done something for 2010-11 owners and not washed their hands off. Can they do more ? Absolutely. But they made me very happy with this TSB. Hope the 09'ers get the update sometime soon
Old 06-08-2012, 10:26 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by matchan
Either way, be happy Infiniti has done something for 2010-11 owners and not washed their hands off. Can they do more ? Absolutely. But they made me very happy with this TSB. Hope the 09'ers get the update sometime soon
I agree - it's great now in my opinion. Good enough that I don't care to sweat the subtleties any further. In fact am 100% comfortable with a new model year being "better" than my previous model year. All I was looking for was correcting the defects. It's a great performing transmission now, comparable to the competition, not as good in some ways perhaps, but better in other ways I think. Doesn't have to be an exact carbon copy of 2012, even though it feels too close to call, to me. They are not obligated to make it exactly like a 12. They are only obligated to make it work properly, which it does now.

Originally Posted by Imua1
Yes, we can certainly agree to disagree about how well the transmission works, that is subjective of course and open to debate...

I'm going to be analytical about infiniti's statement in their email, just because I deal with this sort of language all the time. I think maybe you're reading too far into that sentence. If you hang around with lawyers a lot, you will find that they always make statements like this. These statements are expressly for the purpose of clarifying that nothing in fact was or is being said. It's very typical language to disclaim liability. It is intended to say, "we are not saying what you just implied we might be saying". There's nothing in that statement that should lead one to conclude "it is definitely different from 2012". Sure, it could be different. I'm not disputing that opinion. It only means that they are not promising 2012 behavior. Implying or promising ANYthing leads to liability, and they know that anything they say will be posted publicly in a forum. They want to clarify that nothing is implied. They do not want liability. This is VERY typical legalese in my experience.

Now on the other hand, I have spoken to someone who does not spout legalese: My technician says only software has changed. The infiniti techs seem to know what they are talking about (in my experience). The service advisers are as clueless as always. I am more inclined to believe the technician on this one. It's not a certainty that he is right nor truthful, but it is far more likely that this information is useful, than some legalese C.Y.A. B.S. that we've been hearing from day 1 from folks with no technical training whatsoever.

Like I said I am being analytical about this because I deal with it frequently. PLEASE take my paragraph with a grain of salt, as it is not intended to be anything personal, just my own experience with folks who spew this language all the time. When I call them out on it and inquire further, they usually explain that the statement is actually a NONstatement. It drives me nuts

Anyway as I said above, I am at the point where I find the 7AT very satisfying, and no longer want to get rid of the car now. It's comparable to others, so I don't regret the purchase anymore. Hopefully most people will be happy with this transmission now (for their sake, and for Infinitis reputation, I HOPE so!) Automatics in all brands seem to be getting more "character" shall we say, some of it can be odd at times. This trans was far too buggy for a bit too long for my taste. Similarly, I really hope for everyone's sake that Infiniti gets the 09's straightened out soon!!

Last edited by mikeb2004; 06-08-2012 at 11:46 PM.
Old 06-09-2012, 06:23 AM
playdjembe4god

Same issues for me on my 09. Boo!

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram