Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 05:12 PM
burtonsnowbds

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
thanks Mikeb....I just cancelled my appointment. Hopefully they are working on a complete fix? Does anyone know if they are for sure?
Old 06-07-2012, 09:38 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Today I brought my car in for a scheduled oil change. While the service advisor was writing up the order I said I read on the internet there is a fix for some of the harsh downshifting and lag the transmission is experiencing. (Side note: I haven’t really experienced the harsh downshift too many times, but I’ve said on this forum, the car is tough to drive in slow moving traffic due to the tendency not to unlock the TC and then downshift abruptly and then surge forward.)

Without blinking, the service advisor said they just received a transmission update for the M and a lot of people were complaining about the 7AT. He said he would look into it and apply whatever fix was applicable to my car.

When I picked the car up, I noticed on the paperwork they did in fact apply 12-027.

The car’s personality with this update is totally different. No more lag in slow moving traffic. Press on the gas for an almost instant downshift. I’m sure my gas mileage will go down, but now the car drives as intended, IMO.

While I really wasn’t dissatisfied with the car prior to the update, this update adds a definite level of refinement to the way the transmission operates.

As an aside the service dept. also found a nail in one of my tires and provided a complimentary fix. And of course the car wash. And when I walked in this am, the greeter offered bagels and coffee.

You have to love Infiniti customer service. Of course you pay for it.
Old 06-07-2012, 11:06 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Today I brought my car in for a scheduled oil change. While the service advisor was writing up the order I said I read on the internet there is a fix for some of the harsh downshifting and lag the transmission is experiencing. (Side note: I haven’t really experienced the harsh downshift too many times, but I’ve said on this forum, the car is tough to drive in slow moving traffic due to the tendency not to unlock the TC and then downshift abruptly and then surge forward.)

Without blinking, the service advisor said they just received a transmission update for the M and a lot of people were complaining about the 7AT. He said he would look into it and apply whatever fix was applicable to my car.

When I picked the car up, I noticed on the paperwork they did in fact apply 12-027.

The car’s personality with this update is totally different. No more lag in slow moving traffic. Press on the gas for an almost instant downshift. I’m sure my gas mileage will go down, but now the car drives as intended, IMO.

While I really wasn’t dissatisfied with the car prior to the update, this update adds a definite level of refinement to the way the transmission operates.

As an aside the service dept. also found a nail in one of my tires and provided a complimentary fix. And of course the car wash. And when I walked in this am, the greeter offered bagels and coffee.

You have to love Infiniti customer service. Of course you pay for it.
i actually haven't seen a decrease in mpg after a week with the update.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:09 AM
TRZ06

Sounds like the typical behavior is starting to kick in again. I'm SO glad I went ahead with my lemon law case.

Car is due to be turned in in the next couple of weeks.

I have a Corvette Z06 all lined up. I can't wait to not only have a car with a ton of HP and TQ again, but one that responds instantly to my throttle input.

I have had enough, I am not going to be Infiniti's guinea pig.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:14 AM
CougarRed

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got my 2010 Sedan done today.

Agree with the statements above: The car’s personality with this update is totally different. On my way home, I noticed I'm driving a different car. Much more responsive.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:42 AM
Imua1

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Its been asked and answered (by a few people here that I consider very good sources) that the 2012 7AT is no different than the previous years, hardware-wise.
Your right the question has been asked and answered. Again, to quote the dealer "...Infiniti will not state that after reprogramming your car, it will drive like a 2012...:And they were right, though better with the TSB it did not drive as well as the 2012, which suggests the problem in the 2009 through 2011's are not just software, but hardware.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:44 AM
Imua1

Originally Posted by blackhawksfan81
what year/build date is your car?
2011 g37s
Old 06-08-2012, 01:02 AM
PENROSE

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Imua1
Your right the question has been asked and answered. Again, to quote the dealer "...Infiniti will not state that after reprogramming your car, it will drive like a 2012...:And they were right, though better with the TSB it did not drive as well as the 2012, which suggests the problem in the 2009 through 2011's are not just software, but hardware.
Complete bummer to read this
Old 06-08-2012, 07:23 AM
Audi_2_G37x

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sneakers
Question to those with the latest update. When you do spirited drives or passing, do you mash the pedal or gradually press it? I notice on my 09 with old update, if I mash the pedal, I sometimes get the lag but gradual pressing of pedal, acceleration is exponential. When this happens what a rush!! (Albeit I have hypertech, switched to synthetic oil & k&n filter)
I have an 09 X coupe with the 7AT and after reading the first and last couple pages, it seems like I have the same issue as you and many other people with my 09 7AT. Rough 2 to 1 down shift, hesitation in acceleration of coasting, and lag when mashing the pedal.

I just bought my 09 coupe 2 weeks ago with 16,000 on the odo. I'm guessing the flash was never done to my car. Now its the question of whether I take it to a dealer or not...
Old 06-08-2012, 08:24 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Or Infiniti is CYA-ing as they have been this whole time.

Or they are working on incremental updates to bring everything up to par

Or yeah, maybe it really is different hardware.

Honestly I feel a little lag working its way back in. Not necessarily instant downshifts, but not nearly as bad as it was before. Time will tell I guess.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:44 AM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Hmm, maybe your car is different somehow? I spent about an hour, on each of two occasions, playing with the 12 to see how it worked. When I got my 11 back reprogrammed, I played with it too, and to me it drives just like the 12 now. After more driving it continues to drive as well as the 12 as far as I can tell.

Look at my past posts, I have been very negative on this 7AT. I am NOT a fanboy of the 7AT, and have never defended its crappy behavior in the past - this is my own observation now after hating this car and almost putting a deposit on a bmw to trade this in, just a week before the reprogram!

So, I have to respectfully disagree, from my own observations anyway... After plenty of driving I feel that my 11 now drives just like the 12 I drove right before getting the reprogram. This is NOT an awesome automatic like the one in the new bmw I testdrove a couple times, however it does a very nice job now, and it responds when I want it to.

I drive both very aggressively at times and very calmly and it is doing what I expect from an automatic when I compare it to my other cars and when I consider that the new normal for autos is to emphasize fuel mileage (which this car does quite well considering its power). I no longer experience the frustration with it that I did before the reprogram.

For what its worth, my TECHNICIAN said the only difference over the years is the software in the control module. The tech has been very honest. Read my past posts. My tech openly admitted that the throttle response/lag has been a problem they are aware of and he said that it "is much worse on the sedans". So I believe this particular technician. Techs in my experience, do not follow the cover-your-*** routine like all other people at infiniti are trained to.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 06-08-2012 at 08:54 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:28 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
i actually haven't seen a decrease in mpg after a week with the update.
Maybe if I stop "testing" it on every occassion my gas mileage will increase.
Old 06-08-2012, 09:56 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just a thought on the new update: I think what Infiniti might have done was to modify the original software that came with 2009 model and only fixed the 4-3 harsh downshift.

When I first got my 2009, I remember it was pretty aggressive at downshifting. My only complain was the very noticeable downshift coming to a stop. It almost felt like I push the brake hard then release it every time. The first update fixed that 90%, but at the same time introduced the lag. The 2nd update just made the entire acceleration more linear.

Anyhow, glad you guys all love the new software. This definitely shows some good customer service from Infiniti. I just hate it when they say they don't know much about the issue, and now they admit everyone was complaining.
Old 06-08-2012, 11:28 AM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Audi_2_G37x
I have an 09 X coupe with the 7AT and after reading the first and last couple pages, it seems like I have the same issue as you and many other people with my 09 7AT. Rough 2 to 1 down shift, hesitation in acceleration of coasting, and lag when mashing the pedal.

I just bought my 09 coupe 2 weeks ago with 16,000 on the odo. I'm guessing the flash was never done to my car. Now its the question of whether I take it to a dealer or not...
First, congrats on the purchase and dont let this damping your experience with the car. This is a great car. I love my car more and more each time I drive it.

That said, just my 2cent and personal preference, if I had the option to undo the original flash and live with the harsh shifting I would. The car was more responsive and aggressive pre-flash. However, the older flash for me did fix the harsh shifting but tame the beast quite a bit. Suggest you wait for the latest/greatest flash for 09, if/when they release it. If all possible during your next oil change ask for a loaner so you have a comparison for later.

In case dealer didnt reset your ECM before selling the car, try reseting your ECM (look in DIY section on ECM reset. Took me 4 tries and its all timing). If all possible drive little more aggressive (do at you own risk, cya) so the adaptive learning, learns how you want it to react for at least couple of weeks (depends how often you drive. I do it every chance I get but not recklessly).

And I also switched to synthetic oil. I had good experience with pennzoil ultra (look at engine section, quite a few member recommended it). I didnt believe it either on how it smooths out the engine until I tried it. To see it for yourselves, for $27 for 5qt at walmart and $20 for Midas to do the oil change & tire rotation. You cant beat that with a bat. I bring to dealer every other oil change to let them inspect the car and free bagel/coffee .
Going to give the grounding cable a try (Do a search on grounding cable and post in that thread. Reason being its debatable and to keep this thread clean).
Old 06-08-2012, 11:38 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
^ this is what I was trying to say in an earlier post. the first update fixed the harsh downshifts and mellowed out the car. it seemed less aggressive and have even less torque in the low end then it already does. however, with the new update, the car is more aggressive, with smooth shifts and very minimal lag now. still impressed with it after a week.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram