Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2012, 11:49 AM
blackhawksfan81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How long should the update take? I have an appointment for this afternoon at 1 pm. Last time they told me they needed a full business day.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:59 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by blackhawksfan81
How long should the update take? I have an appointment for this afternoon at 1 pm. Last time they told me they needed a full business day.
Mine took about 1.5 hrs. and I drove in without an appt.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:10 PM
Dus1101

Originally Posted by MaluG37

Dus1101 prepared a great write up. Here are my comments:
A)Agree - the throttle is more responsive and the transmission seems to make decisions faster and the shifts are firm and direct. Sometimes the faster/firmer shifts make the transmission feel a little rough. (not a big deal, but maybe another update can fix this)
I wouldn't be holding my breath for another update. And I think if Infiniti does release one, I would (at least initially) be hesitant to accept it. I would not want to gamble on decreasing the performance for perhaps some marginal increase.

Almost a week since the update here and still loving it! Feels like I just got a new car!

Wishing that the '09 owners can have their update soon too... Good luck!
Old 06-05-2012, 12:25 PM
Dus1101

Originally Posted by 1BadAssG
Ive been having a huge smile on my face whenever im driving for the past 3 days since I updated. It is awesome and I can feel the difference between before and now. I just hope it doesn't return to normal after a few weeks like before.
I agree with you here!! I'm so excited to get in my car again even for short trips.

I hope this is the 'new normal'!

I had the update about a week ago. The more I drive the car, the more I realize that there has definitely been some tweaks in not only the transmission shifts but also in the power transfer. I don't know how they achieved this but there is definitely improvement in the 0-60 acceleration and low-end torque. Without measuring directly, I would have the say that I think the car is definitely faster. Perhaps they also tweaked the engine combustion ratios to improve the HP/torque output, especially at low RPM's. Or another thought is that they tweaked the power transfer for the AWD into more low-end rear wheel power when there isn't any front wheel slippage.

Yesterday when driving, I was at a complete stop, making a right. Went WOT part way through the right turn and the car took off like a bullet. After 4 seconds looked behind me and the intersection was a distant memory. I was fast approaching 60 mph. Eased off the gas at that point but felt the car had a lot left to give at that moment.

I'm curious if someone can benchmark the 0-60 and power output before and after the update to see. This definitely feels more like the 330 HP I was expecting when I bought the car in the first place!

I'm loving the car so much more now versus when I first got it. I agree with some comments that the 20-30 mph acceleration point is a bit of a weakness in the car but my guess is that's the tradeoff with the 7AT and presumably better mpg during city driving.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:37 PM
jim1969

does the 2012 share the exact same transmission (gearing, etc.) as the prior years?
Old 06-05-2012, 12:46 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^ yes, but the programming in the tcm and ecm appear different in how they drive compared to older years.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:57 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Dus1101
I agree with you here!! I'm so excited to get in my car again even for short trips.

I hope this is the 'new normal'!

I had the update about a week ago. The more I drive the car, the more I realize that there has definitely been some tweaks in not only the transmission shifts but also in the power transfer. I don't know how they achieved this but there is definitely improvement in the 0-60 acceleration and low-end torque. Without measuring directly, I would have the say that I think the car is definitely faster. Perhaps they also tweaked the engine combustion ratios to improve the HP/torque output, especially at low RPM's. Or another thought is that they tweaked the power transfer for the AWD into more low-end rear wheel power when there isn't any front wheel slippage.

Yesterday when driving, I was at a complete stop, making a right. Went WOT part way through the right turn and the car took off like a bullet. After 4 seconds looked behind me and the intersection was a distant memory. I was fast approaching 60 mph. Eased off the gas at that point but felt the car had a lot left to give at that moment.

I'm curious if someone can benchmark the 0-60 and power output before and after the update to see. This definitely feels more like the 330 HP I was expecting when I bought the car in the first place!

I'm loving the car so much more now versus when I first got it. I agree with some comments that the 20-30 mph acceleration point is a bit of a weakness in the car but my guess is that's the tradeoff with the 7AT and presumably better mpg during city driving.
I dont think there is "more power", I think the torque converter/computer were hampering the pwoer all along. It was locked when it should be unlocked, took too long to unlock, etc.

Now that it seems to be working as expected, we *feel* what seems like more power, but is really just how it should have always been.

Im noticing a little lag every now and then all of a sudden. not sure if it has to do with the fact that I ran really low on fuel before filling up again (gunk attached to the intake in the tank?) or if its just how Im driving it. It seems to be that the car still drives a little based on how you start off. if you gently go from a light then get on it, it takes a little longer to respond than if you got into the throttle a little more from a dead stop THEN really hammered it.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:01 PM
blackhawksfan81

Originally Posted by sniper27
Mine took about 1.5 hrs. and I drove in without an appt.
Awesome, thanks, can't wait to get it done. Hope it goes smoothly.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:11 PM
DadsTaxi

Have my appt on Thursday for my 15K service and hope to be getting this done at the same time. Can't wait till I get it back.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:16 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Im noticing a little lag every now and then all of a sudden. not sure if it has to do with the fact that I ran really low on fuel before filling up again (gunk attached to the intake in the tank?) or if its just how Im driving it. It seems to be that the car still drives a little based on how you start off. if you gently go from a light then get on it, it takes a little longer to respond than if you got into the throttle a little more from a dead stop THEN really hammered it.
The lag I have is minimal as well. Compared to where we were, I'm not complaining. The one to two second delay after coasting was down right dangerous.

The lag comes up especially pulling into my driveway from the stop sign by my house. Seems the car is either trying to shift or just isn't as response to throttle input unless I push down more than just lightly apply it. Since I don't want to go flying into my place I need to go easy on from that stop lol.

The car seems more willing to downshift to pass now at highway speeds and I feel my mpg may have improved actually as the car is overall more responsive.

It definitely feels like 328hp now. I should need to fill up by the end of this week and see how my city and hwy mileage is after the update.
Old 06-05-2012, 02:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I'm sure hoping there isn't something different w/ the earliest 7AT ECMs that's going to keep us that have been left off the upgrade list from getting this seemingly much improved transmission. Does anyone know if the ECMs are all identical throughout the 7AT model years??
Old 06-05-2012, 03:05 PM
G_Spot_37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My city mileage used to be 17.8 before the fix. It is at 15 now. Anybody noticed anything similar?
Old 06-05-2012, 03:44 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by G_Spot_37
My city mileage used to be 17.8 before the fix. It is at 15 now. Anybody noticed anything similar?
Are you sure this isn't just a direct result of your testing the improved responsiveness of the throttle and transmission.
Old 06-05-2012, 04:10 PM
philh

I went to Beshoff Infiniti and had the update performed on my 06/11 Journey. The update took about 1 1/2 hours.

Stay away from Frontier for service as they had no idea about the update or if it could be performed on my car. I even asked the service rep on three separate occasions if the update could be applied and they said no.

I definitely notice the improvement in the responsiveness of the shifting and haven't noticed any delay after coasting yet.

Thanks everyone for informing us of this nice update!

Last edited by philh; 06-05-2012 at 04:16 PM.
Old 06-05-2012, 05:18 PM
G_Spot_37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't think so. I did test it for a couple of days when got it last week, but I am on a new tank today and did my usual driving to work and home today under pretty much the same traffic conditions. It just keeps higher rpms which I like...but it's probably why it takes more gas now...

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram