Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2012, 09:44 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
I only have 50 miles on the New Clock (I reset the B trip button from the time I picked it yesterday). What Mike says......I now can say so far: I really Like the Car now !!!! In fact, I washed and waxed 'er yesterday with more gusto than before.....DOMODOMO
If Almatti is happy with this fix, it gotta be good. My mouth is watering...
Old 06-03-2012, 09:51 PM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Happy for you 7AT drivers. I hope it's a long term solution.

I have a friend with a 2010 7AT. I'm going to give him the heads-up on this.
Just to be sure, it's TSB ITB12-027 ?

Does anyone have a pdf of this TSB yet...like the older TSB found at infinitihelp?
Old 06-03-2012, 11:36 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
If Almatti is happy with this fix, it gotta be good. My mouth is watering...
I was going to say.. then this has to be good. I really hope Infiniti comes through for us 09 owners - can't wait.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
awais: Just don't sit on your Hands....so to speak. Call them, email them, insist on some action. Cite this Forum for reference. I'm not saying that my persistent Squeaking is the result of this happening, but my Dealer (Pepe Infiniti) told me that I was certainly the most vociferous. I stated earlier, the Service Advisors admitted to me on Saturday, when picking up the car, privately, that "they hope it is the fix". Their own vehicles have the same lagging/hesitation which is a major Flaw of the 7AT (probably rushed into production to achieve better mileage - which it DOES do).

Good luck, follow my advice....you file complaints on their web site under Consumer Affairs. Additionally, way back on this thread, I posted comments after meeting the District Manager in July 2011, when they admitted the lagging and hesitation IS there..I was offered the Elite Maintenance program as a consolation )big deal, Free Oil Changes ). The DM asked me please do NOT Blog this on the forum.....Interesting comment for they did not want this issue to spread nor have to offer further "consolations Prizes'...I wanted to Trade the Car on the lease, but they wouldn't go for it.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:45 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I think its interesting that now, all of a sudden, we start hearing about how "everyone" has complained about the 7AT (service techs, dealer employees, etc). Yet before a couple weeks ago it was "by design".

As happy as I am that Infiniti seems to have fixed the issue, they really deserve some sort of negative for running people thru the "by design" bs. At best we're talking a minor annoyance, but at worst we're talking a safety issue......someone coulda been stranded in front of oncoming traffic while the "by design" transmission tried to figure out WTF it was supposed to do.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:07 AM
rpm&my_G35
Registered Member

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
I think its interesting that now, all of a sudden, we start hearing about how "everyone" has complained about the 7AT (service techs, dealer employees, etc). Yet before a couple weeks ago it was "by design".

As happy as I am that Infiniti seems to have fixed the issue, they really deserve some sort of negative for running people thru the "by design" bs. At best we're talking a minor annoyance, but at worst we're talking a safety issue......someone coulda been stranded in front of oncoming traffic while the "by design" transmission tried to figure out WTF it was supposed to do.
It was 'by design'. Unfortunately they just failed to admit (until recently) it was a poor design.
Old 06-04-2012, 07:57 PM
Gtransformer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I got the new reprogram on my 2011 a few days ago, it's still early, but I can say that the car now drives much better, smoother shifts and a more responsive gas pedal, it appears the lag and the harsh downshifts are now just a bad memory, time will tell if this is a permanent fix, so far this update makes for a happier driver...
Old 06-04-2012, 08:18 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE

Chris, that is what they are Required To Say.....Remember way back,on this thread, everything is now designed for Mileage Gains across the board for each Car Maker. I'm bitter about this too. But I'm also happy for Little Miracles. Today's drive to and from work was a "pleasure" - much better Throttle response (used to feel like mush - rubbery), less lagging, smoother shifts (that was the most drastic difference I felt Immediately), and the general Coasting issues GONE.
Old 06-04-2012, 09:30 PM
MaluG37

Originally Posted by Dus1101
Been driving my 2011 G37x sedan some more after having the update applied yesterday. In my opinion, the improvement is more than 'just a tad' as has been described. Notable improvements include:

A) Have not encountered the gas pedal being ignored (after coasting, cornering, or otherwise). The few times I've tested this, I get some instant response in RPM's. Sometimes there is a shift shortly after hitting the gas hard when coming from a coast, but before the shift there is some acceleration due to the increase in RPM's at the higher gear.

Prior to the update, the gas pedal would have no effect on anything for 1-2 seconds.

Sometimes the delay before the downshift is a bit later than I would like (but the RPM's still go up in the higher gear). I think this is just because it's an AT vs. MT. I don't think it can get any better without going to paddle shifters or MT. It's still pretty damn good though.

B) Coasting to a stop - prior to the update, there would be a notable 'clunk' downshift near the end. With the update, coasting to a stop is incredibly smooth.

C) Coasting to a near stop and then accelerating - No lag when pressing the gas. Car starts to accelerate almost instantly.

D) Cornering and applying gas part way through turn - prior to the update, if gas is applied half way through turn it was a coin-toss whether the car would ignore the gas pedal or not. The few times I've tried since the update, the gas pedal gives an immediate RPM response and depending on speed, potential downshift. The first few times I did this I was pleasantly surprised by the response. In fact, the force out of the turn was so great that I managed to drift a couple of times and the stabilization control kicked in. Note that I have 245/50/17 tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S) for improve traction compared to the OEM Goodyear RS-A tires).

I was never able to do this before the update - in most cases the lag just caused me to be super cautious since I had effectively lost one locus of control during the turn (before the update).

E) Acceleration from stop - The shifting seems to be much smoother. I think that the shift points have been slightly modified for a much better acceleration experience. WOT acceleration feels like the car has more torque at the low end. Also, easing off the gas during WOT acceleration, and then continuing with WOT is much smoother.

Still very happy with the update. Will update the thread more after continued driving. On a side note - prior to the update, I did notice that the blatant gas pedal being ignored lag 'seemed' to be worse as the outside temperature was colder. The last day (with the update) was relatively warm. Today is a somewhat cold day, and the lag is still gone. So FWIW, another positive observation for the update.
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
Still putting miles on the update. Still no lag, still none of the problems which have plagued this thing since day 1.

I agree with Dus1101 on all of his points A~E: The changes are quite significant, many noticeable improvements for the better. Not "a tad" better. This trans was a nightmare for me before the update. Now I am totally satisfied. I would say it is as fixed as it's going to get. It is not "awesome" like the 8 speed in the new bmws that I test drove, but it's damn good now, and there are aspects to it that dare I say are better than the bmw's....

I feel like I finally HAVE the great powertrain that I thought I was buying in 2011.
I've been able to drive the G for over 500 miles this weekend after getting the ITB12-027 update on friday. I must say the highway drive was great. Passing is predictable and effortless. A small amount of pedal pressure would increase the speed 5-10 mphs quickly for smooth passing. If you mash the pedal for a more dramatic pass, the transmission shifts quickly and the car pulls hard and with authority (seems to pull harder than before...my wife even noticed the difference). Seems like less pedal pressure is required for higher speeds. I remember driving through NYC before the update and how terrified I was to cut into the fast lane to make a pass when a faster car or truck is quickly approaching (if you've driven through major city traffic you know how tight the openings are) only to find out after making the move the 7AT decides to take a "timeout" to figure out what gear to pick...not anymore, the throttle and transmission are commited to responding and downshifting quicker.

MPG has not been negatively effected...I might even say its improved. Easily got 28 mpg on the highway and about 26 overall (80% highway, 20 city).

Dus1101 prepared a great write up. Here are my comments:
A)Agree - the throttle is more responsive and the transmission seems to make decisions faster and the shifts are firm and direct. Sometimes the faster/firmer shifts make the transmission feel a little rough. (not a big deal, but maybe another update can fix this)

B)Agree - so far no clunking downshifts.

C)Agree - car accelerates with a little lag to make a gear selection (depending on speed), but certainly way better than before. I feel the car still has a hard time accelerating in the 20-35 mph range. I think there are 2-3 gear shifts in that speed range so the 7AT has to select to right one. (again not a big deal)

D)Agree - I haven't tried to drift the car but I did notice a number of times where I got the inside rear tire to momentarily break loose when making right turns on wet roads. What impressed me was that my car has AWD and I wasn't trying to break them loose, just normally accelerating from a stop onto the main road. Before the update, the indecisive transmission would always hesitate before it got going through a turn. Doesn't seem to be an issue anymore.

E)Agree - Accelerating from a stop feels better and smoother. Infiniti definitely did something with the gear selection to increase torque on the low end. At times the car feels like it has another 30 hp under the hood. I still love how quickly I can pull away from people on the highway or on winding back roads without waiting for the 7AT to get it's act together.

I've only put about 570 miles on the update so we will see how it holds up. Like mikeb2004 said, "It is not awesome ... but it's damn good now".
Old 06-04-2012, 09:33 PM
MaluG37

Originally Posted by rpm&my_G35
Happy for you 7AT drivers. I hope it's a long term solution.

I have a friend with a 2010 7AT. I'm going to give him the heads-up on this.
Just to be sure, it's TSB ITB12-027 ?

Does anyone have a pdf of this TSB yet...like the older TSB found at infinitihelp?
Yes it's ITB12-027. I asked for a copy, but only got the first page.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:01 PM
1BadAssG

Ive been having a huge smile on my face whenever im driving for the past 3 days since I updated. It is awesome and I can feel the difference between before and now. I just hope it doesn't return to normal after a few weeks like before.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:17 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
About 250 miles driven over the weekend since the update on Friday. So far so good. Lag is still minimal and harsh downshifting has not occurred yet.
Old 06-05-2012, 12:12 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
You know it's really painful reading all these positive reviews while I'm still lagging and clunking around in my 09. Until we're included I hate you all (just kidding, kinda)
Old 06-05-2012, 05:29 AM
anamiti

I also noticed an immediate and significant improvement after ITB12-027. I felt like I was driving a different car off the dealership's lot. I haven't put many miles on the car yet, but I'm excited to. This was the first (and probably last) transmission TSB update for my '10.
Old 06-05-2012, 09:27 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MaluG37
Yes it's ITB12-027. I asked for a copy, but only got the first page.
Im surprised its not out on the net yet.

Im seriously considering a 1 day pass to infiniti-techinfo.com. Only 20 bux and you can get the PDFs of every TSB, along with service manuals, etc.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram