Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2012, 10:49 AM
IMTASE

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The reprogram covers all 2010 and 2011 G37 and must be done using Consult 3+, not Consult 3 or it will not list any available software versions. The alleged "tech" probably didn't follow proper procedure as outlined in the TSB and the advisor went to another tech to get it done right.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:39 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nishalp
Hey Guys. Noticing something wierd after update. I went into the Diagnosis mode on the navigation unit trying to see if the ECU / TCM number would show there. In there I found in the Error History a error called CAN_COM_CIRCUIT with a count of 22. This was not occuring before the update. Can you check this out if you have update and see if you are getting this?

To get to Diag Mode - Start Engine.
Turn off the Radio
Press and hold the Settings button - While keeping this pressed, turn the volume **** 40 clicks or more in either direction till you hear a beep and let go.

Now in Diagnostics mode. Go to second option (Not Self Diagnosis) and then go to Error History... Do you see it?
I don't have the latest update and I just noticed mine has CAN_COM_CIRCUIT count of 36.
Old 06-02-2012, 02:15 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
HappyG, Chris11, and Mike: See my post of a few minutes ago. Upon further investigation - my Dealer found that the TSB IS applicable to my car. They performed the Reflash this morning, car is ready to pick up !! Hopefully, I will expereince the very positive results all of members have posted thus far.
Although I must say I'm thrilled for you Almatti since you've stuck your neck out the most around here trying to get this situation addressed, I must say I'm getting a bit more upset by the day regarding the 09s being excluded. Fellow 09 owners may need to band together and demand an explanation if this isn't addressed soon, just seems so unjust
Old 06-02-2012, 05:36 PM
Dub_37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
After some more persistence on my part, the Service Advisor had the Tech look into this exclusion factor some more. Fortunately, after double checking two Infiniti sites (according to the advisor), they found that my car DOES Fall into the category !!!...Be persistent with the Dealer.
After your post a few days ago when they said your car wasn't included I was like 5...4...3...2...1 seconds until Almatti comes back saying exactly what you did about hounding the dealer until they woke up.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:04 PM
autodoof

Sniper27: I have a used G37 and haven't hooked up with a dealer for any work yet. Could you mention who this dealer is here in Southern California?

Thanks.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:46 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I am quoting myself below, since I think it bears repeating this completely reasonable explanation for why the '09 update is not available yet. Infiniti's biggest problem all along has been not telling us "we are fixing it soon, stay tuned". I was livid about all this up until the day they suddenly fixed it. Up until that point there was no hint from infiniti that they had any intention to recognize nor fix it. I believe that is where the '09 people are now, and I think it is best to just have some faith (for a month at least) that the update will be available soon.

Originally Posted by mikeb2004
^^@blnewt: Well there are probably a few different "flavors" of 09's out there now, depending on which updates the ECU and TCU have received so far if any. My understanding (and I could be wrong) is that the updating process looks at what is in the ECU/TCU now as a safety measure and then updates it up to the current program. I think they may need to have a separate routine or check for each "variety" of 09 currently on the road. So, I suspect they are still working on those and will release it soon. The '10-'11 G37 update came just a month after the G25 update, so it should not be too long, IMO. Remember with the 075a bulletin update they updated all of the 7 speed G's to 2011 programming. I believe they will do that again to bring everyone up to 2012 programming - there is simply no reason not to.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:20 PM
JENG37S

Well i have been waiting until something would happen with an update. Got it on Thursday and then I was a little skeptical about it. But now I can say that yes it is allot better, no more waiting on turns or brake and go.
All I can say is FINALLY! Happy!
Build 08/11.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:43 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by autodoof
Sniper27: I have a used G37 and haven't hooked up with a dealer for any work yet. Could you mention who this dealer is here in Southern California?

Thanks.
I went to Glendale Infiniti since I was in the area. Ask for Steven Chen. He is really good.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:55 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Although I must say I'm thrilled for you Almatti since you've stuck your neck out the most around here trying to get this situation addressed, I must say I'm getting a bit more upset by the day regarding the 09s being excluded. Fellow 09 owners may need to band together and demand an explanation if this isn't addressed soon, just seems so unjust
blnewt: Thanks for the comments. I will post the results after a few more miles but the initial drive today does yield a vast improvement of the performance. My car seems to idle better too. The braake and Go is much better, the coasting is better, and shifts both Up and Down are smoother.

Two of the service advisors gathered aas I was pickig up the car. One has a FX, the other a 2011 M. Both feel the same Lagging & hesitation. They were very curious to see if this was the "fix". My advisor asked me to contact her as soon as convenient to see what the results are. I did later in the day. She confided with me that everyone has complained about the 7AT, but I was the number One PIA pursuing the issue at their Dealership. I was also informed that more Reflashes were coming for the M and G owners for other years (I guess 2009 - Gs). I would not Hesitate -excise the Pun - to garner all the 2009 owners - and YELL at Infiniti Consumer Affairs. Post emails, make the calls and file the complaints. It's a Pain in the Butt and somewhat time consuming, could help to move this along for you guys.

PS: I was the first to have this TSB administered at the Dealer (Pepe Infiniti) - just came out May15th and for that reason, the tech failed to find the proper qualifications. So they told me.
Old 06-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Almatti

Infiniti talks about adapting all the time. It is a great way to trick you into going home and stop complaining, and it serves to work on your psychology so that you eventually "believe" it learns to work like you want it to. Really, no transmission does this, including Infiniti's. And I personally have not ever observed any adapting behavior with mine. Immediately (literally in the first 5 miles) after an ECU reset by the dealer, it works exactly like it does after a couple thousand miles of driving - lagging all the time. All the transmission adapts to is internal operations, solenoid apply pressures, and so on. Overall behavior of the trans (lags or no lags, upshift and downshift timing, is programmed not learned. It will respond differently in different situations of course (like when you press the gas harder or you are turning), but this is not "adapting" or "learning", it is just following its program parameters.

I've driven the new program (ITB12-027) enough to be satisfied that the lag is "gone" - by that I mean that it seems to respond predictably and quickly like my other automatics do. As has been said before, all autos will have some quirks or small delays. Before ITB12-027, this trans quirks and loooong delays were way above and beyond those of other transmissions. Now I would say the 7AT is on-par. Not exceptional but it is no longer "bad" either. IMO.

For me, the G37 is now a Keeper with this transmission update. Before ITB12-027, I was taking steps to sell it and move on.
I put another 500 miles on it today, highway and city driving. The problems are gone. I have at least 1000 miles on the new program.

Plus there are some subtle improvements that make it an all-around MUCH better trans. Wow, this is actually fun!

I have to say I am very happy with this car now!!! A month ago, I was planning to replace it.
DOMO

I only have 50 miles on the New Clock (I reset the B trip button from the time I picked it yesterday). What Mike says......I now can say so far: I really Like the Car now !!!! In fact, I washed and waxed 'er yesterday with more gusto than before.....DOMODOMO
Old 06-03-2012, 01:54 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by Dus1101
Been driving my 2011 G37x sedan some more after having the update applied yesterday. In my opinion, the improvement is more than 'just a tad' as has been described. Notable improvements include:

A) Have not encountered the gas pedal being ignored (after coasting, cornering, or otherwise). The few times I've tested this, I get some instant response in RPM's. Sometimes there is a shift shortly after hitting the gas hard when coming from a coast, but before the shift there is some acceleration due to the increase in RPM's at the higher gear.

Prior to the update, the gas pedal would have no effect on anything for 1-2 seconds.

Sometimes the delay before the downshift is a bit later than I would like (but the RPM's still go up in the higher gear). I think this is just because it's an AT vs. MT. I don't think it can get any better without going to paddle shifters or MT. It's still pretty damn good though.

B) Coasting to a stop - prior to the update, there would be a notable 'clunk' downshift near the end. With the update, coasting to a stop is incredibly smooth.

C) Coasting to a near stop and then accelerating - No lag when pressing the gas. Car starts to accelerate almost instantly.

D) Cornering and applying gas part way through turn - prior to the update, if gas is applied half way through turn it was a coin-toss whether the car would ignore the gas pedal or not. The few times I've tried since the update, the gas pedal gives an immediate RPM response and depending on speed, potential downshift. The first few times I did this I was pleasantly surprised by the response. In fact, the force out of the turn was so great that I managed to drift a couple of times and the stabilization control kicked in. Note that I have 245/50/17 tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S) for improve traction compared to the OEM Goodyear RS-A tires).

I was never able to do this before the update - in most cases the lag just caused me to be super cautious since I had effectively lost one locus of control during the turn (before the update).

E) Acceleration from stop - The shifting seems to be much smoother. I think that the shift points have been slightly modified for a much better acceleration experience. WOT acceleration feels like the car has more torque at the low end. Also, easing off the gas during WOT acceleration, and then continuing with WOT is much smoother.

Still very happy with the update. Will update the thread more after continued driving. On a side note - prior to the update, I did notice that the blatant gas pedal being ignored lag 'seemed' to be worse as the outside temperature was colder. The last day (with the update) was relatively warm. Today is a somewhat cold day, and the lag is still gone. So FWIW, another positive observation for the update.

^^^ DUS1101, I didn't feel B) too much but I had the previous TSB 10-075 applied Feb 2011....But you are right on with the description. I would add that I sense the idling better, so quiet that I think the car is off!!! Idling in Drive , warm engine, I'm seeing 600 RPMs on the guage. before that it was definitely a little higher. Much better response and quicker gear selection, less lagging. I'm Very Happy with this adjustment.

Oh Yeah: it changed the DS mode some too.... seems less aggressive, but I will test that some more.
Old 06-03-2012, 03:07 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I drove about 40 miles yesterday in a lot of stop and go traffic in wonderful so. cal. lag was very minimal and shifting is much much improved. so far so good.
Old 06-03-2012, 07:25 PM
nishalp
Registered Member

Yeah. From my research this just means some of the onboard computers could not be communicated with by the can system. I went ahead and reset the error log and has not happened in last 3 days. Let's see...
Old 06-03-2012, 07:32 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I only have 50 miles on the New Clock (I reset the B trip button from the time I picked it yesterday). What Mike says......I now can say so far: I really Like the Car now !!!! In fact, I washed and waxed 'er yesterday with more gusto than before.....DOMODOMO
This is so funny... I also broke out my best $35 bottle of glaze yesterday and put 3 coats on, after detailing every mm of the car. It's great to be finally really happy with the G !!!

Prior to yesterday the G had only seen cheap wax
Old 06-03-2012, 09:12 PM
warpeacelove

Received 38 Likes on 33 Posts
I have to chime in about this update. Since receiving the update the Car has been a Beast, no lag, smoother acceleration, better down shift = ))

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram