Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 08:55 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I just got the update. I was just driving past the dealership and decided to pop in. Asked if the new update was available, and without any hassle, questions, or even a test drive, the service advisor wrote me up and took the car without an appt. The porter gave me a ride home, then picked me up when the car was ready 2 hrs later. I only drove a whole 2 miles home, but seems better so far. Acceleration is much smoother and the harsh downshifts are gone. Lag is drastically reduced. Like others stated, there is almost immediate response when you step on the gas after braking or coasting. I say there may be less than 0.5 sec. lag now, whereas before the update, nothing would happen for 2 seconds after you step on the gas pedal. I'll do some more driving this weekend and see how it is.

I did glance through all the work papers and confirmed the update was ITB12-027. I also saw some pages with my VIN# and ECU/TCM id # on it. I assume that was confirmation whether my car was covered under this TSB or not.
Old 06-01-2012, 09:43 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
For those of you who got the ITB12-027 update, please kindly post your G's build date. This could be interesting.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:26 PM
sniper27

sticker on my door says 3/2010. Purchased 4/2010.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:34 PM
1BadAssG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I took my car to service today and got a 2012 loaner, man that car is so much more refined transmission wise. Later I got a call that they did applied the newest update that was released 2 weeks ago. While driving it home, I felt a little acceleration but then when I was on freeway, the car did not feel anything like the 2012 I drove earlier. Idk if it supposed to be like this but I have not seen any drastic improvement yet. I'll drive a little more tomorrow and update how it is.

Thanks Infiniti for at least trying.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:04 AM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by philh
Thanks. Yeah I even gave them the exact ITB after they said there was no update and they even printed out the complete 10 page ITB for me. They couldn't give me an exact explaination of why it didn't apply and I didn't really want to make a big scene about it.

Has anybody had this ITB applied in the Bay Area, CA or specifically Frontier Infiniti in San Jose?
I've had this new ITB done today. I live in Santa Clara, right down the street from Frontier, but I've never dealt with them from a service perspective. I take my car to Beshoff and deal w/Joey specifically.

My '10s build date is April 2010.

The harsh downshift has not happened in D so far and the shifts are much smoother, the car is also much more lively and responsive. I would say the lag after coasting is nearly completely gone. Pulling into my driveway I noticed a little bit of a lag, but that may have been my fault modulating the throttle since there is a stop sign by my house. I would say the car drives 75-90% better, but I need to see as the transmission adapts and will keep everyone posted after a few thousand miles are put on the car.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:05 AM
nishalp
Registered Member

Hey Guys. Noticing something wierd after update. I went into the Diagnosis mode on the navigation unit trying to see if the ECU / TCM number would show there. In there I found in the Error History a error called CAN_COM_CIRCUIT with a count of 22. This was not occuring before the update. Can you check this out if you have update and see if you are getting this?

To get to Diag Mode - Start Engine.
Turn off the Radio
Press and hold the Settings button - While keeping this pressed, turn the volume **** 40 clicks or more in either direction till you hear a beep and let go.

Now in Diagnostics mode. Go to second option (Not Self Diagnosis) and then go to Error History... Do you see it?
Old 06-02-2012, 12:51 AM
sniper27

Originally Posted by nishalp
Hey Guys. Noticing something wierd after update. I went into the Diagnosis mode on the navigation unit trying to see if the ECU / TCM number would show there. In there I found in the Error History a error called CAN_COM_CIRCUIT with a count of 22. This was not occuring before the update. Can you check this out if you have update and see if you are getting this?

To get to Diag Mode - Start Engine.
Turn off the Radio
Press and hold the Settings button - While keeping this pressed, turn the volume **** 40 clicks or more in either direction till you hear a beep and let go.

Now in Diagnostics mode. Go to second option (Not Self Diagnosis) and then go to Error History... Do you see it?
Mine says CAN_COM_CIRCUIT_21. Not sure what this means or if I had it before the update. I never knew I could do this.

Last edited by sniper27; 06-02-2012 at 01:32 AM.
Old 06-02-2012, 04:14 AM
PlasticCity

Hey guys, hopefully I will be an avid member here soon. With that said, I'm looking at a 2010 G37x with a salvage/rebuilt title and was wondering if I can have this service done on the car regardless of title? Thanks fellas
Old 06-02-2012, 07:28 AM
1TUFG37XS

One of the posts after the update mentioned shift points changes. I assume all of the 7sp are this way but I've always been disappointed that at say a low mph roll (10 mph) this transmission only downshifts to 2nd (should be 1st) and at 40mph it only drops to 3rd. Does the new programming fix this by chance? Yes I know I can manually drop it but we all know then up shifting from there on is never going to be timed right and happen at the best rpm point.
Old 06-02-2012, 07:42 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
I hate to be the optimist.... (because I'm usually a pessimist)....

But I am very confident they are working on the program for the earlier cars. They did the G25, then a month later they did the newer G37, so my guess is that the "older" cars will be next, probably within June. Let's face it... these cars are still under powertrain warranty, and they are dangling this great solution in front of us. It would be public relations suicide to withhold the update from the earlier cars. I don't care how low of an opinion you have of Infiniti (and I admit that i did for a while), but there is simply no way they will make the huge mistake of failing to update the earlier cars.
In addition, I wonder if they are going to work on further updates for this transmission. Kinda like how the 5AT ended up just about perfect for an AT, I wonder if they can/will get the 7AT to the same point.

I could just be greedy.....for now the 7AT acts a lot better than it did before (although Im interested to know why someone thinks an actual '12 felt better than a '10 or '11 with the new update installed)
Old 06-02-2012, 07:59 AM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
I just heard from my Dealer _ The new TSB ITB12-027 DOES NOT APPLY to my car. The ECM / TCM reflash is NOT applicable to my car based on the listed production dates. So, No Happy Day for me....I inquired to be sure that was accurate and informed that it was double checked.

I need to re-emphasize my efforts back to early termination of the lease. Boy, I'm Pissed.
That sucks man. Was hoping you finally get some resolution. Didnt you have your ECM box replaced? If so than how they can go by car's production date. Just thought this might be another angle you can try.

Hope us 09ers get some love soon, so jealous from all the positive feed backs.
Old 06-02-2012, 08:10 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by sneakers
That sucks man. Was hoping you finally get some resolution. Didnt you have your ECM box replaced? If so than how they can go by car's production date. Just thought this might be another angle you can try.

Hope us 09ers get some love soon, so jealous from all the positive feed backs.
It seems strange that it's not covering the entire G 7AT range. Why are some being excluded from this? Did Infiniti use different ECMs that aren't compatible w/ this new software upgrade, I seriously doubt it. There must be a logical reason behind this but I'm having a tough time figuring out what it could be

That would really suck if there's something incompatible in the 09s & early 10s that keeps us from getting this improvement (which is sounding pretty significant from all the positive reviews).
Old 06-02-2012, 10:14 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Latest News Regarding the previous post: After some more persistence on my part, the Service Advisor had the Tech look into this exclusion factor some more. Fortunately, after double checking two Infiniti sites (according to the advisor), they found that my car DOES Fall into the category !!!

She just called, to come and pick up my car. The Reflash was administered. She siad: hopefully, I will be more satisfied with the drive. Seems that they did not drive it, but leaving it up to me. I had also asked about a BT update (different Thread - "Software Update") which she told me was not applicable. That TSB indicates that the BT will get to making a call quicker. I have Navi and that does take far too many steps to make simple phone call.

I will report my results as soon as i can.

Morale to the story: the TSB appears to be for all 3.7 Gs 2010-2011, I couldn't understand how mine could be EXCLUDED...Be persistent with the Dealer.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:20 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
This is very bad! I wonder what is the real reason they don't apply to all 2010/2011.
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Yeah that doesnt seem right to me.

Has anyone tried cross-checking the TCM/ECU version numbers between the old TSB and the new one?

There were an awful lot of versions listed on the new one as applicable, Im surprised Almatti's car didnt fall in there.

Unless right now its just very late 10's and all 11's? I know Nissan/Infiniti like having ".5" model years, so anything after half of the production year is a .5....maybe this TSB really applies to 2010.5 and newer?
HappyG, Chris11, and Mike: See my post of a few minutes ago. Upon further investigation - my Dealer found that the TSB IS applicable to my car. They performed the Reflash this morning, car is ready to pick up !! Hopefully, I will expereince the very positive results all of members have posted thus far.
Old 06-02-2012, 10:22 AM
philh

Dus1101, just out of curiosity, what is the production date of your G37? Mine is June 2011, and I'm just wondering if maybe June and later does not apply?

Thanks for the suggestion about Beshoff Hapa. I might try giving them a call and see what they say.

Almatti, what did you ask them the second time you called? I might have to try this to see if I can get mine applied as well!

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram