Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-2012, 01:46 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Had my car in yesterday for the update.

On Tuesday I called service and explained to them occasional lag and hard downshift. Service advisor stated she knew about an update or two that might apply.

Dropped car off yesterday morning, service manager knew off the top of his head that there was a TSB released "middle of this month [May at the time]". Looked it up, said yep same symptoms as you are saying, we'll install it if it applies to your specific car.

So I guess its a crapshoot as to who knows what. Maybe the service manager is more privy to recently released TSBs than anyone else in service? Dunno. I DO know that I like the service department that I go to, for this very reason. I will continue to give them my business even after the warranty is up (although they've only done warranty work for me so far....I do my own oil changes, etc)
Old 06-01-2012, 03:03 PM
philh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi, long time reader of this thread but first time poster. I got my G37 in Aug of last year and had experienced the hesistation when accelerating after coasting and occassionally the harsh downshift when coasting to a stop. I brought my car into Frontier Infiniti and told the symptoms and that I heard about the ITB fix. They hooked my car up and said that the ITB did not apply. Have any other people had their 2011's denied this update?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:10 PM
Dub_37S

Originally Posted by Dus1101
Now that this one is seemingly solved, time to start griping about the intelligent cruise (will start a new thread on that after I complete my datalogging experiments with a GPS tracer).
So I don't have to keep looking for this thread, what exactly are you having an issue with with the Intelligent Cruise Control? I have used mine quite a bit and it seems flawless? Maybe I don't want to know, ignorance is bliss!

G37S '12
Old 06-01-2012, 03:11 PM
Dus1101

Originally Posted by philh
Hi, long time reader of this thread but first time poster. I got my G37 in Aug of last year and had experienced the hesistation when accelerating after coasting and occassionally the harsh downshift when coasting to a stop. I brought my car into Frontier Infiniti and told the symptoms and that I heard about the ITB fix. They hooked my car up and said that the ITB did not apply. Have any other people had their 2011's denied this update?
Phil,

That's surprising to me since by the sound of the ITB it applied to all 7AT 2010 and 2011 G37's. Especially if you got yours in August 2011 (same as me).

I know there was an earlier ITB (075 I believe) which was another transmission related bulletin. That one, DID NOT apply to my car (my VIN was out of range). However, the May 15 bulletin certainly did:

2010-2011 G37 shift responsiveness issues.
ITB12-027 Released: 5/15/12

I would suggest calling your dealership and asking exactly which ITB they were testing for, and if it was the ITB12-027. If they said it was 12-027 and it doesn't apply to you, I would press for a further explanation (i.e. VIN out of range, wrong ECU/ECM etc to get details).

Good luck - I hope every G37 owner gets this update. One of my neighbours has a sweet looking black G37S coupe (I've seen it parked on his driveway) - been hoping to see him to tell him about the update

Last edited by Dus1101; 06-01-2012 at 04:25 PM.
Old 06-01-2012, 03:16 PM
philh

Originally Posted by Dus1101
Phil,

That's surprising to me since by the found of the ITB it applied to all 7AT 2010 and 2011 G37's. Especially if you got yours in August 2011 (same as me).

I know there was an earlier ITB (075 I believe) which was another transmission related bulletin. That one, DID NOT apply to my car (my VIN was out of range). However, the May 15 bulletin certainly did:

2010-2011 G37 shift responsiveness issues.
ITB12-027 Released: 5/15/12

I would suggest calling your dealership and asking exactly which ITB they were testing for, and if it was the ITB12-027. If they said it was 12-027 and it doesn't apply to you, I would press for a further explanation (i.e. VIN out of range, wrong ECU/ECM etc to get details).

Good luck - I hope every G37 owner gets this update. One of my neighbours has a sweet looking black G37S coupe (I've seen it parked on his driveway) - been hoping to see him to tell him about the update

Thanks. Yeah I even gave them the exact ITB after they said there was no update and they even printed out the complete 10 page ITB for me. They couldn't give me an exact explaination of why it didn't apply and I didn't really want to make a big scene about it.

Has anybody had this ITB applied in the Bay Area, CA or specifically Frontier Infiniti in San Jose?
Old 06-01-2012, 04:20 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
I'm getting a little pissed that they're dragging their feet w/ the 09s, we've been putting up w/ this crap the longest, we should be the first in line. We need this fixed damn it!
Old 06-01-2012, 04:24 PM
Dus1101

Originally Posted by Dub_37S
So I don't have to keep looking for this thread, what exactly are you having an issue with with the Intelligent Cruise Control? I have used mine quite a bit and it seems flawless? Maybe I don't want to know, ignorance is bliss!

G37S '12
It is good - but definitely not flawless. The issue is the deceleration curve is waaay too steep when approaching a slow vehicle from high speed. For example, set at 125 kph and approaching slow moving vehicle going 100 kph. I would expect the 'intelligent' cruise to measure the distance to the leader car, and gradually slow down to meet the set following distance. So it would smoothly (say, over 25 seconds, or 1 kph/s deceleration) reduce from 125 to 100. Instead, it seems to bolt right up to the leader car at 125 kph and then hit the brake hard to bring you down to 100 kph way too fast . No point in doing so ... made a long 10+ hour road trip and this happened way too often as I'd approach slow moving vehicles in the fast lane.

Anyway, it's not a huge deal and I still like the feature a lot - but I think it could use some improvements. I'm an engineer and I tend to notice these sort of things. My plan was to datalog the speed response using my wrist-watch running GPS and suggest some improvements to Infiniti customer service with some graphs and simulations LOL
Old 06-01-2012, 04:35 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I just heard from my Dealer _ The new TSB ITB12-027 DOES NOT APPLY to my car. The ECM / TCM reflash is NOT applicable to my car based on the listed production dates. So, No Happy Day for me....I inquired to be sure that was accurate and informed that it was double checked.

I need to re-emphasize my efforts back to early termination of the lease. Boy, I'm Pissed.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:43 PM
Almatti

phil, I have a 2010 - see my other post. I have been one of, if not, the most agreesive member posting notes on this thread. "No Soup For You.....(Jerry Seinfeld).
Old 06-01-2012, 05:13 PM
fldriver

Originally Posted by Almatti
I just heard from my Dealer _ The new TSB ITB12-027 DOES NOT APPLY to my car. The ECM / TCM reflash is NOT applicable to my car based on the listed production dates. So, No Happy Day for me....I inquired to be sure that was accurate and informed that it was double checked.

I need to re-emphasize my efforts back to early termination of the lease. Boy, I'm Pissed.
Can you tell me the listed dates? I have a 2010 with the 3-4 upshift problem that I need to get fixed.

This will be the 4th time going to Infiniti to try to fix it. I'm going for lemon law if it doesn't this time.

Thanks.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:29 PM
Almatti

fldriver, the TSB does not list VINs (see an earlier page on this thread), but indicates ECM & TCM numbers. That is what I presume they checked for my car. You should bring it in to the dealer and Squawk Loudly about the problem. Let them check your car against the TSB.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:34 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti

This is very bad! I wonder what is the real reason they don't apply to all 2010/2011.
Old 06-01-2012, 05:46 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
This is very bad! I wonder what is the real reason they don't apply to all 2010/2011.
Yeah that doesnt seem right to me.

Has anyone tried cross-checking the TCM/ECU version numbers between the old TSB and the new one?

There were an awful lot of versions listed on the new one as applicable, Im surprised Almatti's car didnt fall in there.

Unless right now its just very late 10's and all 11's? I know Nissan/Infiniti like having ".5" model years, so anything after half of the production year is a .5....maybe this TSB really applies to 2010.5 and newer?
Old 06-01-2012, 05:49 PM
Dus1101

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Yeah that doesnt seem right to me.

Has anyone tried cross-checking the TCM/ECU version numbers between the old TSB and the new one?

There were an awful lot of versions listed on the new one as applicable, Im surprised Almatti's car didnt fall in there.

Unless right now its just very late 10's and all 11's? I know Nissan/Infiniti like having ".5" model years, so anything after half of the production year is a .5....maybe this TSB really applies to 2010.5 and newer?
How do you check the TCM/ECU without an ODB-II scanner?
Old 06-01-2012, 08:51 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I hate to be the optimist.... (because I'm usually a pessimist)....

But I am very confident they are working on the program for the earlier cars. They did the G25, then a month later they did the newer G37, so my guess is that the "older" cars will be next, probably within June. Let's face it... these cars are still under powertrain warranty, and they are dangling this great solution in front of us. It would be public relations suicide to withhold the update from the earlier cars. I don't care how low of an opinion you have of Infiniti (and I admit that i did for a while), but there is simply no way they will make the huge mistake of failing to update the earlier cars.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 06-01-2012 at 09:11 PM.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram