Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 10:32 PM
G_Spot_37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just had the new ITB12-027 applied to my G37 2011 sedan. Very happy with the changes. Agree with Dus1101 on everything. The delay is still there but it is nothing compared to what it used to be and it feels normal for an Auto. I feel like DS mode got affected by this reprogram in a very positive way. The previous reflash made DS almost non-existent, at least that is how I felt about it. Manual shifts are very smooth now and switching from D to DS gives you that immediate boost you'd expect and which did not happen for me before. Not sure what you call flare FootLong, but I don't get that feeling that transmission skipps and doesn't engage anymore. It keeps higher rpms. As primitive as my descriptions of this new fix are, I thought I'd share
Old 06-01-2012, 08:30 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Just put a few miles on my newly flashed transmission and I have to agree its acting much better. More like automatics Im used to. Yes there is still a little delay to downshift but its at least a little better than my other auto-tragic vehicles.

Its definitely a lot more consistent and a lot more predictable now. Ive already learned about exactly how far I need to press the fun pedal to initiate a downshift, and the downshifts actually happen. Watching the tach its clear the computer is now less confused than before. The first jump in RPMs is the torque converter unlocking, then if it needs to it will downshift. The converter seems to unlock a LOT faster now, which is translating to much better performance and response.

I also went back to the one spot I can always recreate the "hung out there waiting" lag after coasting, and it seems to have been solved.

Note I did all my testing in plain ole D. Used DS for a little bit afterwards but didnt notice any big differences with it.....not sure if its because I didnt use it enough, or if DS was always working OK for me.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:18 AM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just got the ITB12-027 reprogram done this morning. I only drove about 15 miles with it so far, but the transmission is reacting better than before. I wouldn't say that I'm completely satisfied with the update, but it's a huge difference from the clumsy & slow to react trans I started with. I don't want to write too much without driving it more, but I'm going to be putting a lot of miles on it this weekend and will post my findings.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:27 AM
blackhawksfan81

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question for those with the update: did you specifically request the TSB, or describe your symptoms and let them figure it out?

I ask because one dealer last year told me they basically refuse to apply any software updates unless I was complaining of specific symptoms.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:45 AM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by blackhawksfan81
Question for those with the update: did you specifically request the TSB, or describe your symptoms and let them figure it out?

I ask because one dealer last year told me they basically refuse to apply any software updates unless I was complaining of specific symptoms.
told them my symptoms, and told them the # of the TSB to fix it
Old 06-01-2012, 11:56 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dus1101
Been driving my 2011 G37x sedan some more after having the update applied yesterday. In my opinion, the improvement is more than 'just a tad' as has been described. Notable improvements include:

A) Have not encountered the gas pedal being ignored (after coasting, cornering, or otherwise). The few times I've tested this, I get some instant response in RPM's. Sometimes there is a shift shortly after hitting the gas hard when coming from a coast, but before the shift there is some acceleration due to the increase in RPM's at the higher gear.

Prior to the update, the gas pedal would have no effect on anything for 1-2 seconds.

Sometimes the delay before the downshift is a bit later than I would like (but the RPM's still go up in the higher gear). I think this is just because it's an AT vs. MT. I don't think it can get any better without going to paddle shifters or MT. It's still pretty damn good though.

B) Coasting to a stop - prior to the update, there would be a notable 'clunk' downshift near the end. With the update, coasting to a stop is incredibly smooth.

C) Coasting to a near stop and then accelerating - No lag when pressing the gas. Car starts to accelerate almost instantly.

D) Cornering and applying gas part way through turn - prior to the update, if gas is applied half way through turn it was a coin-toss whether the car would ignore the gas pedal or not. The few times I've tried since the update, the gas pedal gives an immediate RPM response and depending on speed, potential downshift. The first few times I did this I was pleasantly surprised by the response. In fact, the force out of the turn was so great that I managed to drift a couple of times and the stabilization control kicked in. Note that I have 245/50/17 tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S) for improve traction compared to the OEM Goodyear RS-A tires).

I was never able to do this before the update - in most cases the lag just caused me to be super cautious since I had effectively lost one locus of control during the turn (before the update).

E) Acceleration from stop - The shifting seems to be much smoother. I think that the shift points have been slightly modified for a much better acceleration experience. WOT acceleration feels like the car has more torque at the low end. Also, easing off the gas during WOT acceleration, and then continuing with WOT is much smoother.

Still very happy with the update. Will update the thread more after continued driving. On a side note - prior to the update, I did notice that the blatant gas pedal being ignored lag 'seemed' to be worse as the outside temperature was colder. The last day (with the update) was relatively warm. Today is a somewhat cold day, and the lag is still gone. So FWIW, another positive observation for the update.
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
Still putting miles on the update. Still no lag, still none of the problems which have plagued this thing since day 1.

I agree with Dus1101 on all of his points A~E: The changes are quite significant, many noticeable improvements for the better. Not "a tad" better. This trans was a nightmare for me before the update. Now I am totally satisfied. I would say it is as fixed as it's going to get. It is not "awesome" like the 8 speed in the new bmws that I test drove, but it's damn good now, and there are aspects to it that dare I say are better than the bmw's....

I feel like I finally HAVE the great powertrain that I thought I was buying in 2011.
I agree with DUS1101, great discertation and explanation of the problematic functioning of the 2010-2011 G's 7AT. You are Spot On and I have had the same from Day 1 (June 2010). I don't recall seeing previous posts from DUS on this issue?

Mike continues to fortify the consensus of the results of this Reflash - curing the Ills of the 7AT. Mine's in the shop today. I will report likewise early next week.
One quick comment, my Dealer is Pepe Infiniti in White Plains, NY (proclaimed to be the seller of the most Infiniti's on the East coast , if not countrywide). I asked the Service Advisor again this morning if the "masses have come in droves" to get this applied. I'm told no: I am the first one and have been the most chronic complainer, even though, others ahe cited it, I have been the most vocal and insistent. Pepe was unaware of the TSB until I showed a copy this morning.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:05 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by Almatti
One quick comment, my Dealer is Pepe Infiniti in White Plains, NY (proclaimed to be the seller of the most Infiniti's on the East coast , if not countrywide). I asked the Service Advisor again this morning if the "masses have come in droves" to get this applied. I'm told no: I am the first one and have been the most chronic complainer, even though, others ahe cited it, I have been the most vocal and insistent. Pepe was unaware of the TSB until I showed a copy this morning.

That's interesting to hear that some dealerships are not aware...I'm not sure how that works; whether the dealerships are supposed to take an active role in keeping updated on TSBs or if Infiniti notifies them...or if the dealer is notified and doesn't acknowledge it.

When I took my car to Grubbs Infiniti in Euless, Tx I just told my service advisor my symptoms and he immediately said he would check for the latest TSB. He called me an hour later and said they were performing the TSB on my car.
I never had to plead with him to fix it or make mention of the TSB.

It does drive much nicer as others have explained...
Old 06-01-2012, 12:43 PM
Dus1101

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
I agree with DUS1101, great discertation and explanation of the problematic functioning of the 2010-2011 G's 7AT. You are Spot On and I have had the same from Day 1 (June 2010). I don't recall seeing previous posts from DUS on this issue?
I hadn't posted before Wednesday. As I mentioned I was lurking on this thread for a while and figured added complaining wouldn't do much But I further figured since I was probably one of the first to have the update I would describe my experience.

Would someone care to explain the 'flare' issue? This is something I never really noticed - so I can't say if it's gone or not.

For those who were wondering on the process to get the service manager to apply the update: Once I heard of the TSB, I e-mailed the service manager (who I had a discussion with over e-mail a week or so earlier). Prior to the update, she was recommending I take the car in so a tech to examine (which I figured was pretty futile, a largely a generic response). I delayed doing so but coincidently and luckily saw the TSB update come in. Subsequently I e-mailed her, said there is a TSB for the exact issue. She said they hadn't heard of it, and would let me know when they do. A few days later, I got an e-mail that they received the bulletin and I can make an appointment to have my car flashed . When I took it in, she showed me the bulletin (which I had already seen) and I just said "Yup - I have all those symptoms".

And it's been pretty smooth sailing since then.

Now that this one is seemingly solved, time to start griping about the intelligent cruise (will start a new thread on that after I complete my datalogging experiments with a GPS tracer).
Old 06-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
going in today at 1pm to get it done, hope this helps. Had a harsh down shift this morning, it was nuts.
Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by Dus1101
Would someone care to explain the 'flare' issue? This is something I never really noticed - so I can't say if it's gone or not.
the "flare" is the engine revving during shifting between gears...like it's slipping instead of firmly shifting.

I believe the issue is shifting from 2nd to 3rd...
Old 06-01-2012, 01:06 PM
HappyG

This 7AT is driving me crazy. Now I cannot reproduce any of the symptoms. But I know it will eventually act up again when I need it the most. I almost got into an accident last time it lagged. I hate to go into the dealer to have them tell me "cannot reproduce symptoms" and tell me to bring it back when I can consistently reproduce the problem. Heck, I'll reset my ECU and baby it for a week or 2 before I bring it into my dealer.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:15 PM
tejasg37x

Something else I noticed that no one else has commented on...

The typical noise heard on cold start up is not there so much anymore. It seems the update changed something in the cold start up air/fuel/vvel sequence too.

Anyone else notice this?
Old 06-01-2012, 01:21 PM
jddssc121

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
Something else I noticed that no one else has commented on...

The typical noise heard on cold start up is not there so much anymore. It seems the update changed something in the cold start up air/fuel/vvel sequence too.

Anyone else notice this?
you mean the "did i buy a diesel" sound? mine is still very much there on cold starts**

**For this scenario cold = been turned off for at least 7-8 hours. Driving home and then 2 hours later running to the store doesn't count as cold.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:24 PM
tejasg37x

Originally Posted by jddssc121
you mean the "did i buy a diesel" sound? mine is still very much there on cold starts**

**For this scenario cold = been turned off for at least 7-8 hours. Driving home and then 2 hours later running to the store doesn't count as cold.
Yep, that sound...

After I had my car updated I drove it home and it sat in my garage for a week before I started it again...so yes, cold start up.
Old 06-01-2012, 01:28 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
This 7AT is driving me crazy. Now I cannot reproduce any of the symptoms. But I know it will eventually act up again when I need it the most. I almost got into an accident last time it lagged. I hate to go into the dealer to have them tell me "cannot reproduce symptoms" and tell me to bring it back when I can consistently reproduce the problem. Heck, I'll reset my ECU and baby it for a week or 2 before I bring it into my dealer.
You probably don't need to reproduce the problem. The 1st update I got last year, I just told them the symptoms and they performed the TSB. It sounds like most people with the new update just told them what the symptoms they are experiencing and they will apply the update.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram