Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2012, 04:31 PM
stickstickly

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Dammit, i want this for my 2009 coupe so bad i can taste it!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:41 PM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
had my 2011 done on Friday. Seemed to help a tad
Old 05-30-2012, 06:20 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by jddssc121
had my 2011 done on Friday. Seemed to help a tad
Just a tad?

Can you verify exactly what TSB was applied?
Old 05-30-2012, 06:33 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nishalp
So I did speak with her and she is not aware of any 2009 update. She did mention that it was odd that 2009 has a problem as they only started hearing about this problem from 2010 on. But still nothing heard on 2009 yet.
Thanks for the follow up, greatly appreciate it. I am still optimistic they will release an update for us 09ers but will we be happy with the "fix"...time will tell.
Old 05-30-2012, 07:03 PM
kurens

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stickstickly
im with you on this one!
Old 05-30-2012, 07:16 PM
jddssc121

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Just a tad?

Can you verify exactly what TSB was applied?
ITB12-027

"lag to accelerate from coasting" is better, but still not great

the occasional "crappy rough downshifts for no reason" are still present. No change for the better noticed
Old 05-30-2012, 09:07 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by stickstickly
Ditto, see tag line...
Old 05-30-2012, 09:44 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Ditto, see tag line...
I'm checking the TSB website daily, just hoping it'll show up there soon, c'mon Infiniti let's make this thing right for ALL the 7AT owners NOW!
Old 05-31-2012, 08:21 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Just dropped my car off for this update. Only told the service guy "lag after coasting but not coming to complete stop" and "two rough downshifts in 5K miles of ownership".

He said he knew about an update that came out earlier this month, then described what the TSB said and that they would apply it (yay!)

Here's to hoping its a good fix, and they dont brick my ECU/TCM
Old 05-31-2012, 09:24 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nishalp
But I have seen in the past with other car MFR's and dealers that they dont like being told what to do. Kinda like going to a doctor today and telling them what you have and want from research on the net... I would get pissed off as well. Just my thoughts.
Or the other way. I don't think I like it when I'm sick and the doctor tell me nothing is wrong with me. Same when the dealer tell me nothing is wrong with my car...it is what it is...it was by design...
Old 05-31-2012, 09:52 AM
-Red-
Registered Member

Originally Posted by HappyG
Or the other way. I don't think I like it when I'm sick and the doctor tell me nothing is wrong with me. Same when the dealer tell me nothing is wrong with my car...it is what it is...it was by design...
From what I've seen, it's usually less about the information you give them than how you actually approach it.
At the end of the day, they are human, just like doctors. If you don't focus their attention on your problem, they can and sometimes do miss whatever it is. Usually, even when I go with a printout of a tsb, I'll just say, "I looked up to see if anyone else is having a problem and came up with this....."
Old 05-31-2012, 10:47 AM
Dus1101

Been driving my 2011 G37x sedan some more after having the update applied yesterday. In my opinion, the improvement is more than 'just a tad' as has been described. Notable improvements include:

A) Have not encountered the gas pedal being ignored (after coasting, cornering, or otherwise). The few times I've tested this, I get some instant response in RPM's. Sometimes there is a shift shortly after hitting the gas hard when coming from a coast, but before the shift there is some acceleration due to the increase in RPM's at the higher gear.

Prior to the update, the gas pedal would have no effect on anything for 1-2 seconds.

Sometimes the delay before the downshift is a bit later than I would like (but the RPM's still go up in the higher gear). I think this is just because it's an AT vs. MT. I don't think it can get any better without going to paddle shifters or MT. It's still pretty damn good though.

B) Coasting to a stop - prior to the update, there would be a notable 'clunk' downshift near the end. With the update, coasting to a stop is incredibly smooth.

C) Coasting to a near stop and then accelerating - No lag when pressing the gas. Car starts to accelerate almost instantly.

D) Cornering and applying gas part way through turn - prior to the update, if gas is applied half way through turn it was a coin-toss whether the car would ignore the gas pedal or not. The few times I've tried since the update, the gas pedal gives an immediate RPM response and depending on speed, potential downshift. The first few times I did this I was pleasantly surprised by the response. In fact, the force out of the turn was so great that I managed to drift a couple of times and the stabilization control kicked in. Note that I have 245/50/17 tires (Michelin Pilot Sport A/S) for improve traction compared to the OEM Goodyear RS-A tires).

I was never able to do this before the update - in most cases the lag just caused me to be super cautious since I had effectively lost one locus of control during the turn (before the update).

E) Acceleration from stop - The shifting seems to be much smoother. I think that the shift points have been slightly modified for a much better acceleration experience. WOT acceleration feels like the car has more torque at the low end. Also, easing off the gas during WOT acceleration, and then continuing with WOT is much smoother.

Still very happy with the update. Will update the thread more after continued driving. On a side note - prior to the update, I did notice that the blatant gas pedal being ignored lag 'seemed' to be worse as the outside temperature was colder. The last day (with the update) was relatively warm. Today is a somewhat cold day, and the lag is still gone. So FWIW, another positive observation for the update.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:10 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Still putting miles on the update. Still no lag, still none of the problems which have plagued this thing since day 1.

I agree with Dus1101 on all of his points A~E: The changes are quite significant, many noticeable improvements for the better. Not "a tad" better. This trans was a nightmare for me before the update. Now I am totally satisfied. I would say it is as fixed as it's going to get. It is not "awesome" like the 8 speed in the new bmws that I test drove, but it's damn good now, and there are aspects to it that dare I say are better than the bmw's....

I feel like I finally HAVE the great powertrain that I thought I was buying in 2011.
Old 05-31-2012, 05:13 PM
1BadAssG

Oh man all of these positive reviews are giving me the itch to call the dealer and setup an appointment.

I'm glad that it's finally fixed but wouldnt cross my fingers yet until I see the stupid adaptive learning kick in like the previous updates.
Old 05-31-2012, 06:40 PM
FootLong

Has this update fixed the stupid "FLARE" issue?

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram