Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2011, 02:40 PM
braindoc_75

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey guys. I own a 2010 G37x and have had only mild jerking problems when slowing down (got better the more I drove). I did, however, have problems with hestitation when flooring it. I noticed it when trying to merge on the highway or when trying to pass someone a few times. So, I went to my local dealer (International Infiniti in Waukesha, WI) and got the most recent TSB done (a few days ago). I havent had time to test it out too much but it seems a little more responsive when flooring it in D mode(less of a hestitation) and I have no jerking issues when slowing down. Overall, I am pleased with the TSB but only time will tell how pleased I will be.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:02 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Chico: The "gear Hunting" is NOT referring to the Lagging on a downshift, but the complaint centers on when driving at slower local street speeds, being in traffic, 20, 30 to 40 mph , slowing down then speeding up a little, there is Gear hunting going on. It produces Jerky feelings while driving in tose situations. The lagging that everybody is referring to is just that: Step on the throttle and there is Lag or hesitation for the downshift , then it takes off. Not as Linear as one member mentioned. I'm scheduiled to bring my G37X in tomorrow for the TSB. I may postpone based on: the after Reflash comments here; and with 8,000 miles - I do feel it is better than it was. That is what my service advsor has been telling me since I took the car in June. I've been complaining about two day after I got. The answers were : It is what it is, there is no TSB offering a Reflash. So now there is and I'm debating ????
Old 01-04-2011, 04:17 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Just had mine re-flashed (09 G37xS). I'll post on my feelings after my drive home from work.

My issues were:
1. When slowing down, say 15mph to 5mph, the car would jerk. This is NOT the same problem as the 4-3 downshift TSB. I had that condition...and that TSB took care of it. This problem feels like a little jolt...as if it waited too long before downshifting (ie...tach too low) and then jumped down a gear.

2. "Flare" sometimes when shifting the tach would jump between gears...almost like a slipping tranny. Seach for "flare" and you'll see. It usually happens when the car is warm after sitting for a while. I'll just got back to work but will be leaving in an hour...that is when it would typically happen...on the drive down the street from my office. After it gets this one or two "flares" out of its system..then it doesn't do it.

I'll report back in a few hours.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:25 PM
Coprolite

Originally Posted by Mike S.
2. "Flare" sometimes when shifting the tach would jump between gears...almost like a slipping tranny. Seach for "flare" and you'll see. It usually happens when the car is warm after sitting for a while. I'll just got back to work but will be leaving in an hour...that is when it would typically happen...on the drive down the street from my office. After it gets this one or two "flares" out of its system..then it doesn't do it.

Would this flare feeling be along the lines of what you would feel when the traction control kicks in? Being an FWD, I sometimes lose front end grip on my TSX. I often get the same feeling (without the torque steer, of course) on the G when shifting up in gears <25 mph). I have kept an eye on the dash and haven't seen the light pop on. The only reason that I am semi paranoid is that I am running summer tires with the temperature around freezing at times.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:27 PM
Spathic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not all dealerships seem to have the re-flash. I just got my oil changed an hour ago at Brewbaker Infiniti in Montgomery, AL, and they hadn't even heard of this problem. I gave them the 10-075 number and they said they'd give me a call if/when they received the update.
Old 01-04-2011, 04:57 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by Mike S.
Just had mine re-flashed (09 G37xS). I'll post on my feelings after my drive home from work.

My issues were:
1. When slowing down, say 15mph to 5mph, the car would jerk. This is NOT the same problem as the 4-3 downshift TSB. I had that condition...and that TSB took care of it. This problem feels like a little jolt...as if it waited too long before downshifting (ie...tach too low) and then jumped down a gear.

Mike S : Did these Flares come after you applied TSB - ITB10-075 or before?
Old 01-04-2011, 10:31 PM
Mike S.

Update:

So after my drive home I conclude......that I have no conclusions. No really....I don't really notice any improvements. I take it back...it might be a little less laggy in the 20-40 mph range, but my "flare" is still there every once in a while and when coming to a stop, it sometimes jerks a bit from what i'm guessing is the 3-2 downshift at around 10-15mph.

Also, to clarify what I mean by "flare"...its basically a quick lock-unlock-lock sequence that the torque coverter seems to make while shifting. So as the rpms climb to say 3k...as it shifts to say 4th gear...the rpms make a split second jump before the car shifts. Its not a slow shift as a slipping tranny would be, but the quick jump in rpms has all the markings of the torque converter unlocking and then re-locking again.

The only reason I'm so clam about this is the "flare" maybe happens once per drive...so i've forgotten about it. And the downshift jerks...its pretty light so I don't really think about that either.
Old 01-04-2011, 11:59 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My experience with TSB - ITB10-075 so far on the other hand is very positive. After driving for about a week (about 150 miles city and highway), I still feel the car is much more smooth than before the TSB was applied. It jerked only once at speed > 50 MPH, but it didn't happen again no matter how I drive.

As I recall, another forum member reported the car became "heavy" after the TSB was performed. In my case, I feel my car is much "lighter". It just fly when I give it some gas. It doesn't lag like before. Lag still exist but only a split split second which is totally acceptable and expected. I don't need to shift to DS mode in NYC traffic anymore.

Also, engine braking is much less aggressive after TSB was performed.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Almatti

Mike S & Fish: I "chickened out" anmd didn't go to my dealer scheduled for today. I had not spoken with the Service Rep so I was unable to confirm if they in fact knew of this TSB. I put 'er through some paces last night on the way home: Now that I have over 8k miles, it is definitely a better drivie than before.......less jerky, still some lag when you step on the brakes, then hit the throttle [seems to be worse at 40-50 mph, not at all times], but overaqll a better ride, IMO.... After all of my griping about this since July including Numerous Posts here, I may delay this application until I get real confirmation fronm the Service Advisor / Service Manager at Pepe Infiniti in White Plains, NY. They have been terrific car dealer - best I'v ever experienced in over 40 years of owning cars.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:45 AM
Chico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Almatti
Mike S & Fish: I "chickened out" anmd didn't go to my dealer scheduled for today. I had not spoken with the Service Rep so I was unable to confirm if they in fact knew of this TSB. I put 'er through some paces last night on the way home: Now that I have over 8k miles, it is definitely a better drivie than before.......less jerky, still some lag when you step on the brakes, then hit the throttle [seems to be worse at 40-50 mph, not at all times], but overaqll a better ride, IMO.... After all of my griping about this since July including Numerous Posts here, I may delay this application until I get real confirmation fronm the Service Advisor / Service Manager at Pepe Infiniti in White Plains, NY. They have been terrific car dealer - best I'v ever experienced in over 40 years of owning cars.
I'll go to Pepe next weekend for my 1000-mile check up. I'll ask them about the update and I'll post.
Old 01-05-2011, 09:53 AM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does this flash have any effect on DS mode? Or are all the changes specifically to D?
Old 01-05-2011, 10:38 AM
Coprolite

@Mike - Thanks for the flare clarification. I believe that I have the same thing going on and I noticed it because I was watching for wheel slip in the cold/wet with the summer tires. A lot of the roads near my house have been chipped, but are now pure tar. When it gets wet, I get FWD wheel spin and have been watching for RWD spin in the G. The main symptom is a jump in rpm just like this flare and an occasion jerk when traction is restored, which I also feel a little when the torque converter locks in for the next gear.

Hope this all makes sense....
Old 01-05-2011, 12:07 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by Chico
I'll go to Pepe next weekend for my 1000-mile check up. I'll ask them about the update and I'll post.
Chico: You only have 1k miles on the car? With my 2010 G37X, it was terrible at first, I wanted to Turn it back in the next week. My dealer said to drive it in DS mode as much as possible, the Service Advisor had said: It is What It Is.... there was no TSBs for the 2010 ECU reflases. With more mileage I have to say it is truly better. That's whay I'm debating now to apply the ITB 10-075 Reflash. As a reference point concerning these Reflashes: On my 07 G35X, I had a reflash done for a Cruise Control issue which many members said on G35driver Forum at the time, that it corrected a Hard shift issue and did Not affect the throttle response. The 2007 G35s had a hyperactive throttle response - instant acceleration - actually head Jerking takeoffs - I loved it !! The TSB helped the hard shift, everything was Good. Then some time later I brought the car in for service, had a different service advisor, and he applied a new TSB that DID affect the throttle response - it even created some hesitation - I was FURIOUS !!! I didn't ask for it to be done, but they did it anyway {you that this is all warranty work - Infiniti pays the Dealers pretty well for tghis stuff}. Brought it back to the service manager; he took a ride with me, admitted that it was now driving differently, and odered a new Unadjusted ECU for my car !! It was installed a week later, it was better, BUT still not the same as before that TSB application. A lesson was learned in these day of new fangled digital ECU controlled cars, that if the ECU or TCM is reflashed with new software - there's No Going Back... That;s why I'm a little hesitant to go forth now.

Please post your results if you go this weekend at Pepe. You could post a message to me on the side if you wish. THX
Old 01-05-2011, 12:31 PM
Chico

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Chico: You only have 1k miles on the car? With my 2010 G37X, it was terrible at first, I wanted to Turn it back in the next week. My dealer said to drive it in DS mode as much as possible, the Service Advisor had said: It is What It Is.... there was no TSBs for the 2010 ECU reflases. With more mileage I have to say it is truly better. That's whay I'm debating now to apply the ITB 10-075 Reflash. As a reference point concerning these Reflashes: On my 07 G35X, I had a reflash done for a Cruise Control issue which many members said on G35driver Forum at the time, that it corrected a Hard shift issue and did Not affect the throttle response. The 2007 G35s had a hyperactive throttle response - instant acceleration - actually head Jerking takeoffs - I loved it !! The TSB helped the hard shift, everything was Good. Then some time later I brought the car in for service, had a different service advisor, and he applied a new TSB that DID affect the throttle response - it even created some hesitation - I was FURIOUS !!! I didn't ask for it to be done, but they did it anyway {you that this is all warranty work - Infiniti pays the Dealers pretty well for tghis stuff}. Brought it back to the service manager; he took a ride with me, admitted that it was now driving differently, and odered a new Unadjusted ECU for my car !! It was installed a week later, it was better, BUT still not the same as before that TSB application. A lesson was learned in these day of new fangled digital ECU controlled cars, that if the ECU or TCM is reflashed with new software - there's No Going Back... That;s why I'm a little hesitant to go forth now.

Please post your results if you go this weekend at Pepe. You could post a message to me on the side if you wish. THX
Yeah, I know what you're saying. Mine is not bad at all, it's just the hesitation issue. I'm not too crazy about updating it, but if it fixes the slow downshifting I might do it. I'll post an update.
Old 01-05-2011, 12:44 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I'm in the same position. I can't decide if i want to get this reflash or not. I'm at 6500 miles and it is definitely better than when it was new. Still some jerky and lag, but much improved over time. I am due for 2nd service soon, so I'm still debating if i want this done.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram