Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-2012, 04:25 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nishalp
But I have seen in the past with other car MFR's and dealers that they dont like being told what to do. Kinda like going to a doctor today and telling them what you have and want from research on the net... I would get pissed off as well. Just my thoughts.

When I know there is a TSB I don't say anything about it to them...I just make sure to describe my symptoms just like in the TSB.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:29 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by burtonsnowbds
Does your car have to be under warranty for them to correct this for nothing or since it is a known issue will they fix it?
It should be free under 4year/60K warranty. If not, I'd expect them to charge 1 hour of labor, probably around $100. If you have a cool service advisor, he might give you some discount. Also check their website, there might be some coupons, etc.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:23 PM
thholr

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Now we just need this fix for the 2009 model. Come on infiniti !!!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 09:16 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
It should be free under 4year/60K warranty. If not, I'd expect them to charge 1 hour of labor, probably around $100. If you have a cool service advisor, he might give you some discount. Also check their website, there might be some coupons, etc.
Even under the 6 year warranty as well because that warranty covers transmission issues so if anybody pays anything for this TSB then the dealer is ripping them off.

Last edited by Yosemite Dan; 05-29-2012 at 09:18 PM. Reason: none
Old 05-29-2012, 10:10 PM
nishalp
Registered Member

So got my car back. Much better. Smoother shifts. I agree with what everyone else is saying. When I turn at around 25 MPH on this one corner I used to feel a big hesitation in the tranmission where it wants to change but dosent so I get this 2 second gap. While the transmission is still confused on the turn, the gap is less than a second now. So far so good. Funny thing is my advisor has only done this and 1 other car. Trying to get feedback so I guess will need to tell her so far so good. And she has already been getting complaints from M owners not getting this... She was not sure if and when M would get it...
Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by nishalp
So got my car back. Much better. Smoother shifts. I agree with what everyone else is saying. When I turn at around 25 MPH on this one corner I used to feel a big hesitation in the tranmission where it wants to change but dosent so I get this 2 second gap. While the transmission is still confused on the turn, the gap is less than a second now. So far so good. Funny thing is my advisor has only done this and 1 other car. Trying to get feedback so I guess will need to tell her so far so good. And she has already been getting complaints from M owners not getting this... She was not sure if and when M would get it...
If you dont mind, when you give feedback to your advisor, can you ask when they might release the update for 2009... pretty please
Old 05-30-2012, 12:54 AM
nishalp
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sneakers
If you dont mind, when you give feedback to your advisor, can you ask when they might release the update for 2009... pretty please
I will ask her for sure and see if she knows.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:37 AM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm scheduled for this friday morning. I'll try to get the official TSB paperwork if they will give it to me. Just like some others I've been looking to get rid of my G earlier than I wanted just because of the transmission. I actually test drove the G37S 6 speed manual and was really close to taking a loss on my G37x. This car comes alive with the manual and it convinced me that the 7AT takes away from the overall driving experience. Hopefully Infiniti has taken a big step in the right direction with this update, because I really don't want to buy another car right now.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:53 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MaluG37
I'm scheduled for this friday morning. I'll try to get the official TSB paperwork if they will give it to me. Just like some others I've been looking to get rid of my G earlier than I wanted just because of the transmission. I actually test drove the G37S 6 speed manual and was really close to taking a loss on my G37x. This car comes alive with the manual and it convinced me that the 7AT takes away from the overall driving experience. Hopefully Infiniti has taken a big step in the right direction with this update, because I really don't want to buy another car right now.
I havent been unhappy with my 7AT (paddle shifters help a LOT once you can predict when the tranny is gonna act weird) but Ive vowed that my next car will be a manual.

Hopefully the wife wont mind inheriting my '11 with the 7AT, then I can get the next gen coupe with a 6 speed
Old 05-30-2012, 10:09 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
I havent been unhappy with my 7AT (paddle shifters help a LOT once you can predict when the tranny is gonna act weird) but Ive vowed that my next car will be a manual.

Hopefully the wife wont mind inheriting my '11 with the 7AT, then I can get the next gen coupe with a 6 speed
my favorite has still been VW/Audi's DSG.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:16 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
my favorite has still been VW/Audi's DSG.
I dunno, seen way too many people have other troubles with VW/Audi. Engine and tranny? Rock solid

EVERYTHING else, not even close. Electrical, leather, window regulators, you name it.

Although with my luck always being the opposite of the norm, maybe Id end up with a perfect VW/Audi!
Old 05-30-2012, 11:30 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
electrical issues and window regulators were a big problem in the past. Actually, window regulators seem to be a big issue for Europeans in general. My mom's Mercedes had 2 regulators go out in the same yr. But they are a lot better today. THe leather on my Audi is 1000x better than the Infiniti. No creases, butt bubbles, or cracks.

But if Infiniti can come up with a dual clutch system like the DSG, then I'm in for that. Until then, this 7AT reprogram will have to do.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:51 AM
nishalp
Registered Member

Originally Posted by sneakers
So I did speak with her and she is not aware of any 2009 update. She did mention that it was odd that 2009 has a problem as they only started hearing about this problem from 2010 on. But still nothing heard on 2009 yet.
Old 05-30-2012, 11:58 AM
ashmostro

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
My 2010 is getting the TSB done today. Will report back on results!
Old 05-30-2012, 04:17 PM
Dus1101

Smile

Hi,

I just registered with this site. I've been lurking here ever since searching for 'G37 transmission lag' last year. I bought my Infiniti G37x sedan in August 2011.

The lag is (was?) terrible. I was so torn since besides this blatant problem, the car has met or beat all my expectations. I ended up writing a letter to the dealership a week before the TSB was released in which I described my frustration and vowed never to buy Infiniti again unless there was a suitable fix.

Fast forward to last week - when I heard the TSB was released, I sent a follow-up e-mail to the dealership and the service manager confirmed they received the TSB. I was scheduled in for the update today - and I just returned back after a 50 km drive with the 'new program'.

Impression - so far, it seems excellent. I'm probably paying much more attention now then I ever have and I've tried to 'produce' the problem with no success! I don't know if it's just me, but the car feels a lot more sporty after this update. The transmission generally feels more responsive.

Before the update sometimes it felt like trying to push on a loose string. Now there is some 'tension' between the gas pedal and the engine. That's the best analogy I can use to describe the improved responsiveness. I haven't experienced the dreaded brake->coast->gas pedal lag-> (scream swear word) problem yet.

I'll post another update in a couple days. I've promised the service manager I would update them since I'm the first car they've updated.

BTW - I'm in Canada and had the car updated at Guelph Infiniti Nissan.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram