Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2012, 08:40 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Sniper, see my other post to Chris11. From what I gather, this is a Real re-programming of the ECU /TCM , not just a reset of it that you can accomplish by the manner posted way back on this thread (Pumping the Throttle in the prescribed order or by disconnecting the battery). Anything that reduces or actually eliminates this dreaded LAG, is a Grand Slam.....Can't Wait To Step Up To The Plate.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:47 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Chris, thanks for the "accolades"....but the thousands of posts here and elsewhere I'm sure got their attention. As far as the "cure" for the 7AT ills is concerned, I CAN"T WAIT....IMO, anything that could possibly correct THE major Flaw with the car, is making me RUN not walk to the Dealer. I didn't even look at the VINs yet....Sorry for being a little too emotional about this. But until I checked that email of a post at Edmunds that announced this new TSB, I was in the same boat as Mike: ready to do anything short of laying out extra bucks to early terminate the lease.

You refer to this as an ECU reset....From what I'm reading, it is actually and re-programming of the TCM/ECU which should have lasting affects to the behavior. I learned from my 07 G35X, once the ECU is Reprogrammed, there's No Going Back unless you replace the ECU with a new one which has the Old Program. In my 07, there was a TSB - ECU reprogramming issued that was to alleviate the Head Snapping Takeoff - it was responsive and touchy throttle - which I enjoyed. On a service visit in 2008 or early 2009, the Service Advisor "decided" to apply it since it was issued withoiut asking me about it. That creates a nice Warranty charge that they recover from infinti. I was livid, met the Manager, he had to order a new ECU without the New programming and installed free of charge. It still wasn't the same but better than the new ECU which really tempered down the original take off responsiveness..... There were complaints out there about exactly that: head snapping acceleration from a a stop...I loved it...Oh yeah, there was NO LAGGING with the 5 AT !!!
Yeah, I knew its not a reset...I was referring to the last re-flash that "worked" for about a week or two then the tranny went back to doing what was supposed to be fixed with the flash.

Even you seem optimistic about this one so maybe they really did fix it.

Im going to call my dealer tomorrow and try to get it in for the flash. Ive never complained about these issues before, so it might take some finagling but hopefully not too much.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:26 PM
DadsTaxi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Im going to call my dealer tomorrow and try to get it in for the flash. Ive never complained about these issues before, so it might take some finagling but hopefully not too much.
i think that it all depends on your dealer. Some tow the Infiniti line and are a$$es others seem to really care about things. Maybe I'm lucky but my dealer has been up front with me since I asked about the harsh shifting and lag. He has said that he knows its an issue. I hope it won't be an issue for you to get it done. I know I'm planning on getting it done as soon as possible.
Old 05-29-2012, 12:46 AM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I put another 500 miles on it today, highway and city driving. The problems are gone. I have at least 1000 miles on the new program.

Plus there are some subtle improvements that make it an all-around MUCH better trans. Wow, this is actually fun!

I have to say I am very happy with this car now!!! A month ago, I was planning to replace it.
DOMO
Old 05-29-2012, 01:13 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Sniper, see my other post to Chris11. From what I gather, this is a Real re-programming of the ECU /TCM , not just a reset of it that you can accomplish by the manner posted way back on this thread (Pumping the Throttle in the prescribed order or by disconnecting the battery). Anything that reduces or actually eliminates this dreaded LAG, is a Grand Slam.....Can't Wait To Step Up To The Plate.
Ya, as Chris said, usually a reprogram is accompanied by an ECU reset. I just don't want the effects of the reprogram to be a result of the reset and then revert back to it's old behavior. But it seems, as some has demonstrated with decent miles, that this might fix our issues. I'll wait another few weeks or so until I need my next oil change for more confirmation that this reprogram has fixed the tranny issues in the long run.
Old 05-29-2012, 08:20 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by DadsTaxi
i think that it all depends on your dealer. Some tow the Infiniti line and are a$$es others seem to really care about things. Maybe I'm lucky but my dealer has been up front with me since I asked about the harsh shifting and lag. He has said that he knows its an issue. I hope it won't be an issue for you to get it done. I know I'm planning on getting it done as soon as possible.
Just talked to mine, explained that I just had the whole "coasting, then getting on gas to turn left across traffic but the car did nothing" issue (which oddly enough I just did this morning)

They said theyd need the car for the day, gave me a loaner. I added that I had seen on the net there might be an update, the service advisor said yes they knew there were a couple updates possible depending on VIN. Ill leave it at that and drop the car off for them (Thursday). Hopefully they find and install the new update....looks like its really promising!
Old 05-29-2012, 11:13 AM
kurens

how much dealer will charge me for re-flash?
i got salvage g37 so no warranty for me
thanks
Old 05-29-2012, 12:11 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Chris11, Good.....
I don't want to sound ridiculous about this whole thing, and over-reactive, to all members that have read and posted to this thread, but Mike's comments in recent posts including today, have created some real excitement about correcting the flaw in this car. My appointment has been set for Friday. I'm now going to double check my VIN no. to be sure it's included in the TSB. Unlike you Chris where you have NOT complained to your dealer, my complaints are well documented both with the Dealer and Infiniti Consumer Affairs.
As an aside, the ECU reset that is referred to (Battery Disconnect & reconnect) is totally different that ReFlashing & Resetting the ECU / TCM... The Reflash is correcting & changing the integral Software, probably by-passing the "Adaptive Driving Control" feature so that it doesn't change or revert back to the Adapting feature. The TSB from Jan 2011 which was a Reflash of the ECU only addressed minor performance issues - but Never to this extent.

Hopefully we will have attained the same delightful results as Mike, and can now Love the G.....
Old 05-29-2012, 01:22 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
I'm due for my next oil change in a month of so. If Almatti is satisfied with this update by then, I'm in.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:49 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm liking all the positive feedback from this update. I might schedule an appointment for this friday. Has the DS mode sufferred from this update? The one thing I've been disappointed with through all the updates is the negative impact on the DS mode.
Old 05-29-2012, 01:50 PM
tejasg37x

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I had never complained about mine to the dealer before and when I took it in this time I just mentioned the transmission issues and my service advisor immediately said he would check the updates for mine and did it with no hassles at all.
It made a huge difference in the operation of the transmission...smooth shifting, no lagging, smoother throttle response...
Seems good so far...
Old 05-29-2012, 02:28 PM
nishalp
Registered Member

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
I had never complained about mine to the dealer before and when I took it in this time I just mentioned the transmission issues and my service advisor immediately said he would check the updates for mine and did it with no hassles at all.
It made a huge difference in the operation of the transmission...smooth shifting, no lagging, smoother throttle response...
Seems good so far...
Mine is in the shop now as I post for fix. I think it really does depend on each dealer. I find one good Service Advisor and make sure I stick with that person rather than random people. She has been good to me so I dont push her. When I asked her last time nicely about the old TSB she said that didnt work and that Inifiniti was working on a new one that was not out yet. So I just left her a message saying I noticed a new one is out and could it be applied to my car. She responded and said bring it in with no hassle, takes 1 hour and had a loaner ready for me.

But I have seen in the past with other car MFR's and dealers that they dont like being told what to do. Kinda like going to a doctor today and telling them what you have and want from research on the net... I would get pissed off as well. Just my thoughts.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Sobriety

Originally Posted by tejasg37x
Seems good so far...
Just got mine done at Lia Infiniti in Latham NY....I agree with you completely!!!
Old 05-29-2012, 02:41 PM
burtonsnowbds

Does your car have to be under warranty for them to correct this for nothing or since it is a known issue will they fix it?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:32 PM
jim1969

Wonder if a similar TSB will be issued for the M and FX owners.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram