Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 10:25 PM
Silver37
Registered Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
^^^^@blnewt:

Just pick your year/model and leave other fields blank and it will show you all the TSB for that one.

For example you can try 2011 G37 first, and you will see the ITB12-027 in there. It was there the same day the TSB came out.

When you see the new TSB for your '09, you're all set! Then just give your dealer a call. they will check their 'Asist' system and see if the TSB is there for you. Mine did not have it yet, so they asked me to email them a link to the TSB on the Infiniti site (LOL?). Anyway a day later their system had the TSB in it and they scheduled my appointment.

Not sure this will help us owners of the 2009s since the ITB is for 2010s and later will it? Yours is a 2010, so they just had to find it.
Old 05-26-2012, 01:07 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by jmurbas
I'll have "my guy" check this flash against my 09 and see if the VIN is within range and can take the update on Saturday and let you know. I'm not optimistic, but no hurt trying while it's in the shop anyway, right?
cool let us know... i seriously hate this transmission during traffic.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:48 AM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
^^^@Silver37: When there is a TSB that applies to '09 models, it will appear there. It does not matter if it is the same TSB or a separate one. A TSB will appear on the list of TSBs for the 09 G37 when one which applies to the '09 is available. So, yes, it is an easy way for '09 owners find out when an update is available.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:39 AM
firstinfiniti

50-mile update:

Coasting is still better than before. The car still feels lighter on its feet. I did notice the lag; barely. It is much more manageable and bearable. I am afraid, however, that once the trans adapts, it'll be back to "normal".
Old 05-26-2012, 11:51 AM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Infiniti talks about adapting all the time. It is a great way to trick you into going home and stop complaining, and it serves to work on your psychology so that you eventually "believe" it learns to work like you want it to. Really, no transmission does this, including Infiniti's. And I personally have not ever observed any adapting behavior with mine. Immediately (literally in the first 5 miles) after an ECU reset by the dealer, it works exactly like it does after a couple thousand miles of driving - lagging all the time. All the transmission adapts to is internal operations, solenoid apply pressures, and so on. Overall behavior of the trans (lags or no lags, upshift and downshift timing, is programmed not learned. It will respond differently in different situations of course (like when you press the gas harder or you are turning), but this is not "adapting" or "learning", it is just following its program parameters.

I've driven the new program (ITB12-027) enough to be satisfied that the lag is "gone" - by that I mean that it seems to respond predictably and quickly like my other automatics do. As has been said before, all autos will have some quirks or small delays. Before ITB12-027, this trans quirks and loooong delays were way above and beyond those of other transmissions. Now I would say the 7AT is on-par. Not exceptional but it is no longer "bad" either. IMO.

For me, the G37 is now a Keeper with this transmission update. Before ITB12-027, I was taking steps to sell it and move on.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 05-26-2012 at 08:24 PM.
Old 05-26-2012, 08:50 PM
-Red-
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Infiniti talks about adapting all the time. It is a great way to trick you into going home and stop complaining, and it serves to work on your psychology so that you eventually "believe" it learns to work like you want it to. Really, no transmission does this, including Infiniti's. And I personally have not ever observed any adapting behavior with mine. Immediately (literally in the first 5 miles) after an ECU reset by the dealer, it works exactly like it does after a couple thousand miles of driving - lagging all the time. All the transmission adapts to is internal operations, solenoid apply pressures, and so on. Overall behavior of the trans (lags or no lags, upshift and downshift timing, is programmed not learned. It will respond differently in different situations of course (like when you press the gas harder or you are turning), but this is not "adapting" or "learning", it is just following its program parameters.

I've driven the new program (ITB12-027) enough to be satisfied that the lag is "gone" - by that I mean that it seems to respond predictably and quickly like my other automatics do. As has been said before, all autos will have some quirks or small delays. Before ITB12-027, this trans quirks and loooong delays were way above and beyond those of other transmissions. Now I would say the 7AT is on-par. Not exceptional but it is no longer "bad" either. IMO.

For me, the G37 is now a Keeper with this transmission update. Before ITB12-027, I was taking steps to sell it and move on.

Agreed! I've driven in excess of 250 miles since the update. I think this did the trick.
Old 05-26-2012, 09:50 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by -Red-
Agreed! I've driven in excess of 250 miles since the update. I think this did the trick.
I'm waiting to hear feedback from people after a couple thousand miles. My experience is the tranny goes back to it's laggy and jerky self after a couple thousand miles after a ECU reset.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:28 AM
Silver37
Registered Member

^^^@Silver37: When there is a TSB that applies to '09 models, it will appear there. It does not matter if it is the same TSB or a separate one. A TSB will appear on the list of TSBs for the 09 G37 when one which applies to the '09 is available. So, yes, it is an easy way for '09 owners find out when an update is available.
Yup...thanks! I'm eager to get the same type of update. Someone mentioned that it might also be related to which ECU i have, so I'll check with the dealer since my ECU was replaced for the high frequency noise. It's worth a try.
Old 05-27-2012, 08:34 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Back from dealer. Got the reprogram done on my 2011

First impressions:

_____LAG_____IS______GONE______

DOMO (yes 8 of them)

Yep, got my update today. No more delay/lag. Didn't get to put a lot of miles on it yet, but it also seems to respond more quickly to your right foot (downshift), and pulling away from a stop seems a bit easier to modulate. Before, it was hard to pick anything between "slow" and "rocket launch" mode.

Almatti, are you here? RUN to your Infiniti dealer!!
I GAVE UP HOPE< UNTIL I CHECKED THIS THREAD AGAIN....OH HAPPY DAY !!!!

I just learned of this from a Edmunds.com forum email to me. I copies it and sent it to my Dealer servcei rep. I will schedule the appointment Pronto !!
Old 05-27-2012, 09:48 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
I GAVE UP HOPE< UNTIL I CHECKED THIS THREAD AGAIN....OH HAPPY DAY !!!!

I just learned of this from a Edmunds.com forum email to me. I copies it and sent it to my Dealer servcei rep. I will schedule the appointment Pronto !!
I think Infiniti should dedicate this TSB in your honor

Im gonna wait another week or two before getting on my dealers case to install it.....Im interested if this is going to be another TSB where the car reverts back to its normal (shameful) self.
Old 05-27-2012, 11:13 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE

Im gonna wait another week or two before getting on my dealers case to install it.....Im interested if this is going to be another TSB where the car reverts back to its normal (shameful) self.
Go and get the update! If it does revert back then you're no worse off than right now. Sounds like this update has done the trick.
Old 05-27-2012, 05:48 PM
jackal2001
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jay Bizniss
3 days since his last post.. Either its so good that he hasn't gotten out of the car yet, or its so bad that he crashed his car into the Infiniti Dealer and he is in jail... Bail money anyone? I wanna know!
Sorry guys. For some reason I haven't been getting emails about this thread updating or they were going into spam.
For the past 2 weeks I've been on vacation from work so I've been only doing limited driving.
So far it looks like the harsh downshifts are gone and I noticed the lag has disappeared as well when coasting to getting back on the throttle. Starting Tue I'll be going back to work.

Last edited by jackal2001; 05-27-2012 at 05:55 PM.
Old 05-27-2012, 06:37 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Does the update retain rev matching? I like it when engine slows down the car when you take the foot of the gas, saves me from having to tap on the brake.
Old 05-27-2012, 07:06 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by sneakers
Does the update retain rev matching? I like it when engine slows down the car when you take the foot of the gas, saves me from having to tap on the brake.
It sounds like that is retained in Sport Mode (DS), but now shouldnt happen (if it ever was) in plain old D.
Old 05-28-2012, 08:34 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE

Chris, thanks for the "accolades"....but the thousands of posts here and elsewhere I'm sure got their attention. As far as the "cure" for the 7AT ills is concerned, I CAN"T WAIT....IMO, anything that could possibly correct THE major Flaw with the car, is making me RUN not walk to the Dealer. I didn't even look at the VINs yet....Sorry for being a little too emotional about this. But until I checked that email of a post at Edmunds that announced this new TSB, I was in the same boat as Mike: ready to do anything short of laying out extra bucks to early terminate the lease.

You refer to this as an ECU reset....From what I'm reading, it is actually and re-programming of the TCM/ECU which should have lasting affects to the behavior. I learned from my 07 G35X, once the ECU is Reprogrammed, there's No Going Back unless you replace the ECU with a new one which has the Old Program. In my 07, there was a TSB - ECU reprogramming issued that was to alleviate the Head Snapping Takeoff - it was responsive and touchy throttle - which I enjoyed. On a service visit in 2008 or early 2009, the Service Advisor "decided" to apply it since it was issued withoiut asking me about it. That creates a nice Warranty charge that they recover from infinti. I was livid, met the Manager, he had to order a new ECU without the New programming and installed free of charge. It still wasn't the same but better than the new ECU which really tempered down the original take off responsiveness..... There were complaints out there about exactly that: head snapping acceleration from a a stop...I loved it...Oh yeah, there was NO LAGGING with the 5 AT !!!

Last edited by Almatti; 05-28-2012 at 08:35 AM. Reason: additions to the post

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram