Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2012, 05:17 PM
njnewsman

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Just back from getting TCM Re-Flashed

Just got my 2011 back from the dealer with the new TCM fix installed.

So far so good.
No more lag when shifting from park or reverse to drive (used to be 3-5 seconds)
Seems to be much more responsive on accelerating from stop
The lag between braking and accelerating seems to be gone.
Seems responsive after braking, but then quickly downshifts. A bit odd but a heck of a lot better than it was with the 1-2 second lag.

Of course, not we wait while the "adaptive learning" kicks in. Hopefully it will not have the same issues.

As for now, it's a new car!

DOMO
Old 05-24-2012, 05:22 PM
nishalp
Registered Member

Originally Posted by mikeb2004
Went for another drive (20 miles or so) after getting the new program. I previously tested "city driving" and didn't have any lag problems. This time did a spirited, twisty hilly road sort of thing where I previously would get lag on tight (20-25 mph) turns. No problems.

So far so good. Long term will tell if it is "fixed all the time" or whether it does something strange once in a while. I'm optimistic so far. Feels like a different car in a way. Very happy so far.
I wonder if they are somehow keeping the car in a low gear for a longer period of time to prevent downshifting. Can you guys also let us know if you see a difference in gas mileage. Wonder if it uses slightly more gas?
Old 05-24-2012, 05:28 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here is what I see it doing, before and after. I tested it literally dozens of times.

BEFORE ITB12-027: Coasting or braking mildly down to around 25 MPH, it would start "thinking about" downshifting from 4th to 3rd. This process would take anywhere from a half second to almost 2 seconds depending on the driving situation. If you applied the gas any time while it was "thinking", you would get absolutely nothing, as if the gas pedal was disconnected, and then the car would wake up suddenly after it finished completing its downshift.

AFTER ITB12-027: The downshift from 4 to 3 happens at the same speed as before, except there is no "thinking" period. It does it in a small fraction of a second and the car is ready to go, so there is no delay, or if there is, it is pretty small and no longer an issue for either regular or aggressive driving. So far, this is what I am seeing with the new software.

I do not think there will be any effect on fuel mileage because this is happening when slowing down. The upshifts during normal driving seem to happen as they should, it does not seem to be hanging onto lower gears any longer than before when accelerating normally or cruising, but I do see it being a little bit more willing to downshift when you press harder on the gas. So if you are constantly gassing it, sure you'll get worse mileage I guess but that would be true anyway. The old program seemed more resistant to downshifting out of 7th at say 48mph than the new program. New program (so far) does NOT give that feeling of "I am stuck in 7th and there's nothing you can do to change my mind" like the old program. Those are my initial impressions anyway.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 05-24-2012 at 05:34 PM.
Old 05-24-2012, 11:42 PM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
any 2009 owners ask about getting this done? I don't see how a 2009 is different than a 2010 or 2011...
Old 05-24-2012, 11:56 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by mw09g37
any 2009 owners ask about getting this done? I don't see how a 2009 is different than a 2010 or 2011...
We all know it can be done since the previous TSB was applied on 2009-2011s, maybe they just want us to trade in our "junky" 09s for a nice shiny 2012 taking up space on the lot
I'm sure they'll get around to us, if not we can start a rather ugly group campaign against the company.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:32 AM
DadsTaxi

Here is what I see it doing, before and after. I tested it literally dozens of times.

BEFORE ITB12-027: Coasting or braking mildly down to around 25 MPH, it would start "thinking about" downshifting from 4th to 3rd. This process would take anywhere from a half second to almost 2 seconds depending on the driving situation. If you applied the gas any time while it was "thinking", you would get absolutely nothing, as if the gas pedal was disconnected, and then the car would wake up suddenly after it finished completing its downshift.

AFTER ITB12-027: The downshift from 4 to 3 happens at the same speed as before, except there is no "thinking" period. It does it in a small fraction of a second and the car is ready to go, so there is no delay, or if there is, it is pretty small and no longer an issue for either regular or aggressive driving. So far, this is what I am seeing with the new software.

I do not think there will be any effect on fuel mileage because this is happening when slowing down. The upshifts during normal driving seem to happen as they should, it does not seem to be hanging onto lower gears any longer than before when accelerating normally or cruising, but I do see it being a little bit more willing to downshift when you press harder on the gas. So if you are constantly gassing it, sure you'll get worse mileage I guess but that would be true anyway. The old program seemed more resistant to downshifting out of 7th at say 48mph than the new program. New program (so far) does NOT give that feeling of "I am stuck in 7th and there's nothing you can do to change my mind" like the old program. Those are my initial impressions anyway.
Thanks for the update. Guess we will see after a few weeks. My '11 is due for the 15K service in the next couple months so I think I'll have this done, barring any bad news from folks.
Old 05-25-2012, 07:06 AM
Nukulus

Originally Posted by blnewt
We all know it can be done since the previous TSB was applied on 2009-2011s, maybe they just want us to trade in our "junky" 09s for a nice shiny 2012 taking up space on the lot
I'm sure they'll get around to us, if not we can start a rather ugly group campaign against the company.

Actually I asked my service guy yesterday (who's always been very helpful and has gone out of his way to make me satisfied)--He said that software/firmware updates of any kind can only be applied to the cars with those specific VIN numbers, as their computer that applies the update won't work if the car has a VIN outside its designated range.
Old 05-25-2012, 08:12 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Originally Posted by Nukulus
Actually I asked my service guy yesterday (who's always been very helpful and has gone out of his way to make me satisfied)--He said that software/firmware updates of any kind can only be applied to the cars with those specific VIN numbers, as their computer that applies the update won't work if the car has a VIN outside its designated range.
I know what you're referring to regarding allowing only a specific range of VINs access to the reflash. What I was saying is we know it can be applied to 09s because the previous reflashes applied to 09s and beyond. They sure as hell better not screw the 09 owners, if so this will be my last Infiniti.
Old 05-25-2012, 09:35 AM
Sobriety

Got an appt. to update this Tuesday.....looking forward to losing the stupid pause after coasting!!!
Old 05-25-2012, 10:39 AM
jmurbas

I'll have "my guy" check this flash against my 09 and see if the VIN is within range and can take the update on Saturday and let you know. I'm not optimistic, but no hurt trying while it's in the shop anyway, right?
Old 05-25-2012, 11:28 AM
mikeb2004

Now that '10 and '11 are out of the way, I am very confident it is just a matter of time till you see the '09 update, probably a month or so.

Keep monitoring this site to see when a new TSB comes for the '09. They update that site immediately. In fact that site is updated a couple days before the dealers even have the ability to do the TSB!:

Infiniti Publications

http://www.infiniti-techinfo.com/TSB...px?tsbType=TSB
Old 05-25-2012, 02:08 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Now that '10 and '11 are out of the way, I am very confident it is just a matter of time till you see the '09 update, probably a month or so.

Keep monitoring this site to see when a new TSB comes for the '09. They update that site immediately. In fact that site is updated a couple days before the dealers even have the ability to do the TSB!:

Infiniti Publications

Infiniti Publications
Thanks a lot for the link Mike. What keywords or Document title do you enter, I tried ITB12-027 w/ no luck (probably because it's not for the 09s yet). I'm fairly certain they'll get all affected vehicles included in the TSB, kind of frustrating that they just won't get them all from the start, but maybe it's not to cause to much of a rush to the service depts. Keep us updated on how you're liking the reflash
Old 05-25-2012, 03:15 PM
firstinfiniti

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
First impression after the update:

I haven't had a chance to drive much but the car feels more responsive and lighter on its feet. Engine breaking on coasting is definitely better than before. I haven't noticed the lag just yet. I have only driven 3 miles so it could very well be due to the reset; before it "learns" to lag again .
Old 05-25-2012, 03:16 PM
mikeb2004

^^^^@blnewt:

Just pick your year/model and leave other fields blank and it will show you all the TSB for that one.

For example you can try 2011 G37 first, and you will see the ITB12-027 in there. It was there the same day the TSB came out.

When you see the new TSB for your '09, you're all set! Then just give your dealer a call. they will check their 'Asist' system and see if the TSB is there for you. Mine did not have it yet, so they asked me to email them a link to the TSB on the Infiniti site (LOL?). Anyway a day later their system had the TSB in it and they scheduled my appointment.
Old 05-25-2012, 04:03 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

^^^^@blnewt:

Just pick your year/model and leave other fields blank and it will show you all the TSB for that one.

For example you can try 2011 G37 first, and you will see the ITB12-027 in there. It was there the same day the TSB came out.

When you see the new TSB for your '09, you're all set! Then just give your dealer a call. they will check their 'Asist' system and see if the TSB is there for you. Mine did not have it yet, so they asked me to email them a link to the TSB on the Infiniti site (LOL?). Anyway a day later their system had the TSB in it and they scheduled my appointment.
Will do, thanks again for the info!

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram