Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 11:13 AM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
This MT quote suggests that the problem is related to the programming that responds to the gyroscopic sensor(s). Others have talked about lag while coming out of tight turns at lower speeds. That could easily be traction control-related, especially when the dash light is is confirming it (as some have reported!!).

The tranny is supposed to be smart enough to not upshift in a corner if it seems like you are driving in a spirited manner. As we know, the programming leaves something to be desired, but it seems as though it is consistently not responding to cornering-related inputs, likely because (as others have speculated) the throttle (which we know the original mapping was ludicrous), TC, corner force sensors and the tranny are not all "talking to each other" intelligently/properly.

Originally Posted by MaluG37
Finally someone has noticed the poor shifting of the 7AT...where was this article 3 years ago when the 7AT was introduced?

MotorTrend:
"The biggest complaints revolved around the Infiniti's seven-speed automatic transmission, which is an elementary school dropout in terms of programming intelligence. The car was never in the right gear coming out of a turn, and sport mode did little to correct the problem. The only time the sport setting did anything was in the constant, tight sweepers of Decker Canyon, when it was unnecessary. The tranny would downshift one or more gears for no apparent reason, each time letting out a spooky wail from the relatively gutless 2.5-liter V-6."

Sporty Luxury Sedan Comparison - Mercedes-Benz C250, Volvo S60 T5, Infiniti G25, Lexus IS 250, Buick Regal GS, Acura TSX, BMW 328i, Audi A4 - Motor Trend

I've learned to live with the problem, but I wish I knew about this before buying the car.

Last edited by Marc Collins; 03-09-2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old 03-09-2012, 11:22 AM
Marc Collins

Has it been CONFIRMED that another tranny programming revision is under development and is to come out this summer (I think it was suggested), or not?
Old 03-09-2012, 11:50 AM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Doesn't seem to me to be related to cornering, other than that cornering usually involves slowing down, so the relationship is just coincidental, and I can easily reproduce the problem in straight line too. Never does this coincide, for me, with a traction control warning, unless I'm driving it like an ***. I am talking about mildly spirited and very smooth driving, WELL within the limits of grip, so no traction issues.

It is the most irritating in turns because you are expecting a smooth transition from braking to throttle, and the car is often simply not capable of it, unless you downshift well in advance using the paddles.

I think I've figured out the pattern of what is going on... When you go to apply a little throttle after some slowing, during the time when the transmission is "thinking about" dropping a gear and rev matching it, the trans seems to be not ready for a second or so, and this results in the lag followed by the jerk when it finally overreacts to the throttle input. I believe it is the rev matching routine that is keeping the trans and ecu busy and results in it ignoring the throttle input for a moment. Think about it - the rev matching involves ignoring driver throttle input temporarily and instead using a programmed throttle opening to match the revs. I think the whole idea is a waste of time, and annoying, and I wish they would remove that "feature", because I believe it is the source of the lag problem. This trans, in "D" should just stop thinking so much and shift like every other automatic trans out there - properly and predictably. I don't care what sort of razzle dazzle **** games they want to play in DS, just leave D like a normal trans.

I want to set up logging of throttle position, rpm, etc, and a camera to capture all of this, if I ever get time. I want to document this better, but at the same time I'm starting to not care about this car anymore and would rather spend time looking for a 3 series and cut my losses while I can. I can easily reproduce this lag effect a few times times in a row, whether in a turn or driving straight, and it happens multiple times per drive, even my most oblivious of passengers is noticing it now.

To my knowledge only one person has said new programming is coming this summer and there was no confirmation from any other source whatsoever, so I am not holding my breath.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 03-09-2012 at 12:03 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 02:35 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
From a 2011 article?
I was referring to the info relating to the transmission. We shouldn't be hearing about this from MT or whoever at this point, they should have noticed this earlier during their road tests. At this point we should be getting solutions from the manufacturer.
Old 03-09-2012, 03:45 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by MaluG37
I was referring to the info relating to the transmission. We shouldn't be hearing about this from MT or whoever at this point, they should have noticed this earlier during their road tests. At this point we should be getting solutions from the manufacturer.
Oh, but I thought you knew how all the car mags work (except Consumer Reports). They can't survive without the freebie supply of test vehicles, and the freebie travel and accommodations to go to exotic places to test them, so there is rarely if ever any realistic criticism or true comparison of new cars. Only once a vehicle is ready to be replaced (so the sugar daddy can address the criticism by it being fixed in the next model), or, the existing complaint is widespread enough that they can't be pinned for "starting it," will you ever see an actual direct critical comment.

As others (or maybe you) mentioned, Nissan has now acknowledged the problem because they had to explain JD Power results, etc., so it's OK for the mags to talk about it. They can't be seen to overlook something that it is already "common knowledge" or they might be accused of being biased (/sarcasm).

It is for that reason I asked the other question about a new fix coming. If the mags are noting the problem, odds are Nissan/Infiniti might actually be planning to do something about it.

My personal favourite topic is around NVH (noise, vibration and harshness), which Infiniti (at least the G) is at the bottom of the heap. The current generation engine was improved over the last one (3.5), and that got talked about in every story. No one talked about how the previous one was a problem when those cars were tested. No one talks much about how the 3.7 is still worse in this area than just about everything else out there (including such esteemed vehicles as a Chrysler minivan). But if the 2014 has a new, smoother engine (it better if Infiniti wants to survive), suddenly you will hear lots about how rough and noisy the 3.7 is compared to Lexus, Acura, BMW, etc.

Last edited by Marc Collins; 03-09-2012 at 03:50 PM.
Old 03-09-2012, 08:20 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm sure manufacturers get feedback from the magazines (without publishing it). It's then the manufacturers (Nissan) responsibility to take action. So far I haven't seen much action.
Old 03-26-2012, 05:05 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm Still at it... Had some PC troubles and I was unable to access this forum. I see that this Thread has become much less active the past few weeks. I guess all of the Unhappy Campers out there are "waiting" for the Big Fix which has been proported on this thread to be coming out this Summer....Sounds like a Movie Trailer...

I'm preparing another round of filing renewed complaints with Infiniti Consumer Affairs but with a renewed effort to Go Up The Ladder. Going to Infiniti Financial got me Nowhere. No early termination agreement, nada...
Old 03-26-2012, 05:48 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
I'm Still at it... Had some PC troubles and I was unable to access this forum. I see that this Thread has become much less active the past few weeks. I guess all of the Unhappy Campers out there are "waiting" for the Big Fix which has been proported on this thread to be coming out this Summer....Sounds like a Movie Trailer...

I'm preparing another round of filing renewed complaints with Infiniti Consumer Affairs but with a renewed effort to Go Up The Ladder. Going to Infiniti Financial got me Nowhere. No early termination agreement, nada...
I fixed the issue on my own: traded it in for a 6MT

Good luck, chief! (No sarcasm).
Old 03-26-2012, 08:36 PM
keg

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good luck with the next round Almatti.

I've just been resetting the ECU weekly to get me by until the "Big Fix".
Old 03-26-2012, 09:36 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
MikeB2004, all automatic up shift to the next gear if you let off the throttle. This 7sp up shift to 7th whenever it has a chance. Yet it will down shift 2 or more gears if you suddenly stomp on the gas. Two or more gear down shift will cause hesitation and jerks. For now you can try tapping the brake when coming thru a corner, that will make the trans down shift, easy on the gas and you still have a fast corner exit.
Old 03-27-2012, 05:39 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti

Yeah, I've sort of been busy too much to keep pondering the 7AT's issue. I've been test driving BMWs and Audis. I have a few reasons to wait a few more months:

1) If by some miracle Infiniti fixes this transmission in the "rumored" (by just one person?) summer update, I would love to keep the car because I'm happy with it other than the 7AT.

2) I'm going to wait to see if BMW loosens up the interior color limitations. When you order the Sport package, you're limited to black or gray or red interior. They have other colors that I'd prefer.

3) 2013 Audis and BMWs are due soon (ish).

Originally Posted by CodeG
MikeB2004, all automatic up shift to the next gear if you let off the throttle. This 7sp up shift to 7th whenever it has a chance. Yet it will down shift 2 or more gears if you suddenly stomp on the gas. Two or more gear down shift will cause hesitation and jerks. For now you can try tapping the brake when coming thru a corner, that will make the trans down shift, easy on the gas and you still have a fast corner exit.
Not related to the problem I am having, but yes I have noticed that you can persuade a downshift by jabbing at the brake. That is not how I drive. I drive very smoothly, and do not want to stab at the brake pedal to get the 7AT to stop being stupid in corners. I'd rather get a car that drives right, than learn how to play with one that doesn't

By the way, neither the BMWs nor the Audis I drove had any issues of lag or jerking, nor do any of my other 5 cars. I've driven a few of each (A4 and 328) already, and tried all sorts of things to make the drivetrain upset. The programming is obviously far more robust and predictable in those than in the Infiniti 7AT.

Out of curiosity, I also drove a 2012 Focus like I stole it, for about 40 minutes... with the new dual-clutch auto. Interesting transmission... It is very predictable and does a good job, albeit a little slow with the shifts considering its a dual clutch. Not a fast car by any measure, and the trans seems to need some more maturing, because once when I put it in reverse the engagement was a little rough.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 03-27-2012 at 05:49 PM.
Old 03-27-2012, 08:40 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I was given a 2012 loaner today and it definitely has a different tranny program than my fully patched 2009.
Old 03-28-2012, 10:02 AM
drpthemc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I was given a 2012 loaner today and it definitely has a different tranny program than my fully patched 2009.
how did the loaner drive compared to your '09?

was your '09 reprogrammed with the current TSB?
Old 03-28-2012, 10:50 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by drpthemc
how did the loaner drive compared to your '09?

was your '09 reprogrammed with the current TSB?
The '12 sedan had just over 2k miles so it was new. It was tight and responsive, didn't have the tranny lag that my '09 does. Yes my '09 has the latest TSB.

For example, when I merge onto a street out of a fairly sharp right turn, my '09 will cut out when I hit the gas before finally accerating. I made the same turn in the '12 and did not experience it. The '12 did seem to, however, hold gears a bit longer and 'wind out' a bit more.

The '12 tires were new and mine are needing replacement... I like the feel of mine better, not so "mushy" feeling!

It really was a noticeable experience. Again, I think it has a different program than the 2009 model.
Old 03-29-2012, 12:37 PM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I agree, I drove a brand new 11 as a demo (had it for 24 hours) and it drove like my 09 (with both tsb flashes), excpet the "flare" was gone. I leased a new 12 and it is better than the 11. When cold, my 09 and BRAND NEW 11 would stumble as you pull away from a rolling stop sign...as if it got hung up in 2nd when slowing down. As you started away, the car would accelerate then drop down to 1st...causing a stumbe. This was a direct result of the 2nd TSB. My 09 did not do that new or after the 1st flash. However, the next morning after the 2nd flash, it did it. I knew the programing was to blame.

My 09 also was not smooth when slowing down if the engine wasn't under the load of the A/C compressor. The 11 was the same way! Again, that car 15 miles it when I drove it.

My 12 is smooth. As I noted in my post about my new 12, the tach behaves the same as in my 09 (seems to hold 3rd gear too low - to about 800 rpm - and then bounces up to 11-1200 rpm as 2nd engages) but it feels butter smooth. Despite what my eyes are showing me, there is no jerk. In my 09, the exact same scenario produced a jerk. I hated it.

I'll try to capture it on video tonight.

Mike S.

2012 7AT FTW!

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram