Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-2012, 04:11 PM
jepva

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mocoso
so the arguments on the tranny all talk about programming, sw, and how other cards dont do it etc but nobody mentions the traction control... I can tell you in my other car if I do what is mentioned here to reproduce (slam on brake and then shove the throttle on the firewall) the ATC will kick in and cut power to mantain control... yes granted its a C6 with 400ftlb of torque but the point is could this simply be the car lagging power to ensure traction is held? What are the road conditions when it happens? what is the tire wear?
Has someone turned the traction control off and still experienced it?
I don't experience any of the issues mentioned in this thread, period. I am one of the few 7AT owners who seems to think it is fine..
Old 02-21-2012, 04:16 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by jepva
I don't experience any of the issues mentioned in this thread, period. I am one of the few 7AT owners who seems to think it is fine..
Those who have the issues would say you are not driving the car properly to reproduce the problem.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:18 PM
littleguy1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Document, document, document, then when Nissan tells you repeatedly after many failed reprogrammings that the transmission operates normally, if you are in Canada, use the Canadian Automobile Manufacturers Vehicle Arbitration Plan (CAMVAP.com).

I received an Arbitration award, and Nissan was ordered to buy the vehicle back. Nissan resisted all the way, 'defending' the operation of the transmission as normal, and criticizing my driving style. The Arbitrator saw it differently.

I had my vehicle over 1 year and the entire ownership experience was hell. Many times I felt like giving up and trading or selling the vehicle. Perhaps that was the Nissan strategy.

Everyone with this issue, in Canada, should use the CAMVAP process. Good luck to all of you, and don't give up !! I hope to see more postings like mine in the future.
Old 02-21-2012, 07:56 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Those who have the issues would say you are not driving the car properly to reproduce the problem.
And them those us who don't have the issue could say maybe your driving style causes your gearbox to lag. Feel better.
Old 02-21-2012, 08:20 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by gugarci
And them those us who don't have the issue could say maybe your driving style causes your gearbox to lag. Feel better.
I don't have the issue, but I have felt "some stuff" in the tranny. When I know I want to hit it though, I shift into DS mode if I'm going to hit the gas heavyily.
Old 02-23-2012, 01:26 PM
G37x Driver

My car was updated yesterday with new ECM flash and programming. It certainly feels a lot more responsive now, especially when slowing down in traffic and hitting the accelerator to speed up. Definitely an improvement.
Old 02-23-2012, 04:08 PM
thebals

Originally Posted by G37x Driver
My car was updated yesterday with new ECM flash and programming. It certainly feels a lot more responsive now, especially when slowing down in traffic and hitting the accelerator to speed up. Definitely an improvement.
Can you please post the specific details of the update that was performed on your car?
Old 02-23-2012, 05:47 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by thebals
Can you please post the specific details of the update that was performed on your car?
^ DITTO for me too....Hope your not talking about the initial TSB Reflash at the begining of this Thread !!!
Old 02-23-2012, 06:01 PM
G37x Driver

Originally Posted by Almatti
^ DITTO for me too....Hope your not talking about the initial TSB Reflash at the begining of this Thread !!!
I'm looking at the paperwork now and it states the following:
ITB10-075A
Updated ECM and TCM Asper Bulletin.

Service rep told me they performed two items. Certainly the number is the same but not sure if both items are covered in the original update. Sorry if this is the same thing, I've only had the car since July. I was exclusively a VW owner for the past 10 years. Have to say, great car overall but miss the feel of a German car.
Old 02-23-2012, 10:11 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've only had the car since July.
And the car is... year/etc?

(edit)
Nevermind, I found it in an older post: 2011 G37x Sedan w/ Premium package, paddles added
Old 02-23-2012, 11:04 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

I'm looking at the paperwork now and it states the following:
ITB10-075A
Updated ECM and TCM Asper Bulletin.

Service rep told me they performed two items. Certainly the number is the same but not sure if both items are covered in the original update. Sorry if this is the same thing, I've only had the car since July. I was exclusively a VW owner for the past 10 years. Have to say, great car overall but miss the feel of a German car.
I believe that reflash was available a long while ago?
Old 02-25-2012, 11:50 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Those of you who know me on here will know I am a hold-out with original programming on my '09.

After driving a '12, I am now ready to get the latest update. Since there are so many contradictory comments about the changes I will add mine to the mix.

2009 Programming:

D Behaviour:
Fairly aggressive downshifting. Responsive upshifting...tending towards letting the rpms go to the higher end of the spectrum.

DS Behaviour:
Very aggressive downshifting. Aggressive upshifting with anything other than the lightest throttle.

2012 Programming:

D Behaviour:
Mild downshifting...equivalent to most other auto tranny cars out there. Responsive upshifting...tending towards letting the rpms go to the higher end of the spectrum. Slightly smoother shifts both up and down.

DS Behaviour:
Fairly aggressive downshifting. Responsive upshifting, but will act like D until fairly aggressive throttle action is applied.

In summary: The 2012 DS is similar to 2009 D. 2012 D is now similiar to an everyday car rather than like the 2009 aggressively keeping the car in the right gear to pounce on a moment's notice. If you want 2009 DS behaviour in the 2012, better get used to using manual shift.

For me, I rarely use 2009 DS because it is too pronounced an effect...unless you are at a track day. The new DS is a very nice balance in my opinion. If I was at a track day, I would use Manual shift regardless--no automatic shifting will ever be sufficient, so it was a bit of a useless mode. With 2012, I can imagine using DS the vast majority of the time. It will be retain the same downshifting I have now in D that I like because you don't have to use the brake so much in urban traffic (if you anticipate traffic properly) and will only go into aggressive mode if I want it to by applying some decent amount of throttle.

The new D would be fine for people who don't really want a sport sedan. I can imagine occasionally wanting to "coast" along as if I were a grandpa. It is at least smooth and predictable.

For any serious driving, I have the paddles and Manual mode.

So, I will finally go for the update at the next convenient opportunity. The new DS is a blend of the old D and DS keeping the right elements. D is there if you want to pretend you bought a Lexus ES. And M is still there for serious driving. At first glance, it seemed like they just dumbed-down the programming (they did, a bit), but I think it is actually a good blend of useful options.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:30 AM
mikeb2004

@Marc Collins:

A couple things to note:

ITB-075A has been around for almost 12 months, and is the currently available update for 09-11 G's.

ITB-075A makes the car like a late 2011, not a 2012. I know because I have a late 2011. In response to my complaints about the issues with the shifting they tell me that I already have the latest software available, the same version as what would be applied with ITB-075A.

I believe we do not know for sure yet if the software version is different for 2012 models or if it is compatible with 2011's (though I would think it should be).

I also don't think we have evidence yet that the 2012 "fixed" all of the issues that people have complained about with the 2011 and the current ITB-075A update. I will need to drive a 12 myself before I am convinced, because I have never experienced a G that did not have the same problems mine does.

SO, I would hold off on your update. ITB-075A will give you 2011 behavior, not like the 2012 you drove. This is based on the idea that 2012 is different than 2011. If true, then I would expect a new ITB soon after Infiniti is convinced the 12's produce less complaints. I have yet to drive a 12.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 02-26-2012 at 09:43 AM.
Old 02-26-2012, 11:21 AM
Dub_37S

Originally Posted by mikeb2004
I have yet to drive a 12.
So go ahead and drive one already you say that after every post in this thread! Inquiring minds want to know your opinion on the '12's behavior.
Old 02-26-2012, 12:17 PM
mikeb2004

Originally Posted by Dub_37S
So go ahead and drive one already you say that after every post in this thread! Inquiring minds want to know your opinion on the '12's behavior.
Well the Infiniti dealer is a one hour++ drive from here. So that's not a big priority. I've been busy with - you know - life and work and leisure.

Also been keeping my eyes open for a replacement vehicle, BMW or Audi most likely.

So, yeah, I want to know about the 12s, but the Infiniti dealership is frankly the last place I feel like going. I get the oil changed at Nissan which is nearby.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram