Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2012, 08:55 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Dub_37S
Side note: maybe my favorite guitar is my late 80's black Ibanez 540R, signed and doodled on by Joe Satriani
Mine is Jewel Blue. However, it is not signed by Satriani
Old 02-03-2012, 09:15 PM
Racer_X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Mine is Jewel Blue. However, it is not signed by Satriani
I've seen him 5 times. Best was with Satch on The Extremist tour with non other than Eric Johnson opening. Ah Via Musicom was just released that week as well.

**back on topic**
Old 02-04-2012, 01:09 PM
blackhawksfan81

I took my 2011 X sedan to the dealer last week for the transmission lag.

They found no codes and said it was driving fine. Mine was built after the TSB but still has some of the symptoms listed in the TSB.

Anyway, they did find that my battery charge was low. They charged it up and since then it's been driving and shifting perfectly. Even after a week of normal stop-and-go driving.

It could just be a coincidence. Improper voltages can play hell with electrical systems, but I believe the alternator should provide the proper current.
Old 02-04-2012, 10:07 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by blackhawksfan81
Anyway, they did find that my battery charge was low. They charged it up and since then it's been driving and shifting perfectly. Even after a week of normal stop-and-go driving.

It could just be a coincidence. Improper voltages can play hell with electrical systems, but I believe the alternator should provide the proper current.
They probably had to disconnect the battery to charge it which reseted the ecu. Thats one way of getting around the transmission issues to keep reseting the ecu.
Old 02-05-2012, 01:42 AM
roydotmp3

Originally Posted by Dub_37S
2012 G37S, had for about a month. I concur completely with everything you said.

Side note: maybe my favorite guitar is my late 80's black Ibanez 540R, signed and doodled on by Joe Satriani
Bought a 2012 G37S as well 2 days ago, and I as well agree everything OP said.
overall still a great car, i love the machine.
Old 02-06-2012, 02:39 PM
moomax

Hi All,
My 2011 G37X is experiencing these exact same transmission problems!! It usually happens when I'm driving on the highway and try to accelerate to switch lanes. I press on the gas pedal but the car just sits there for a good 2-3 seconds before recklessly accelerating forward! The tac shoots up rapidly and the car emits a pretty loud wine when it happens. I also have the issue when I'm calmly trying to accelerate in stop and go traffic! I can only imagine what the long term damage this is going to have on the transmission... not to mention the whole safety issue behind this!

Interestingly enough, there does seem to be a "fix" out there! When I took my 2011 in to get serviced, I spent the day driving around in a 2012 loaner and it didn't have any of these issues! I did notice the 2012 seemed to hover at a higher RPM and emitted a little more noise than my 2011 does. Anyone have any luck getting infiniti to pass the 2012 change down to us 10s and 11s! Guess I'm going to have to call customer affairs a few hundred more times...
Old 02-07-2012, 12:37 AM
blackhawksfan81

Originally Posted by awais
They probably had to disconnect the battery to charge it which reseted the ecu. Thats one way of getting around the transmission issues to keep reseting the ecu.
Possible... but it has been 2 weeks in daily stop-and-go traffic with a light foot, and no lag has resurfaced. Oh well. I'm still hoping for a 2012 upgrade.
Old 02-07-2012, 03:59 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
HappyG, You know what he meant...... Meanwhile, Been driving it in DS mode for just about a week. A little better at times, in non traffic scenarios, but still getting considerable lag at stop and go & stop and turn situations. Other recent posters keep referring to a "fix"....Are you not reading my reports and those from others a few pages back: There is No Fix.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:01 PM
cereal2k
Mr. Drop it like it's hot

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
Don't get the lag confused with this TSB

https://www.myg37.com/forums/tsb-tec...reprogram.html

Totally different.
Old 02-08-2012, 08:34 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
HappyG, You know what he meant...... Meanwhile, Been driving it in DS mode for just about a week. A little better at times, in non traffic scenarios, but still getting considerable lag at stop and go & stop and turn situations. Other recent posters keep referring to a "fix"....Are you not reading my reports and those from others a few pages back: There is No Fix.
I think everyone was referring to (and hoping for!) the "fix" being what was supposedly authorized for the M and FX: flashing the TCU to disable/remove the adaptive learning portion of the programming.

Youd figure something like that WOULD be possible, and if it was determined the learning is whats messing everything up then removing it WOULD fix at least some of the lag.

But maybe someone just heard something from someones brothers dog or something like that

Drove my car to work today and left it in DS the whole way. While the lag is still there it seems like I can more reliably stab at the fun pedal just enough to get it to reliably downshift (instead of looking like the torque converter is confused). And paddle shifting still works fine. I also had a couple spots where I could drive the car "like it should be driven" (per your tech) and after 30 seconds or so it started to feel a little better in regards to shifting. So does it adapt to being pushed hard? Maybe....how long the adaptation stays programmed, I dont know.

Im quite surprised we (especially Almatti, after all the dealing with Infiniti directly) have never been able to get a really good, straight explanation of how the adaptive learning works. Im not asking for trade secrets, but things like how long does the programming "keep" in memory, does driving the car harder make it shift better, prevent TC lock, etc., things like that.
Old 02-08-2012, 02:40 PM
qirex

UPDATE 3

After 2 weeks of arbitration, phone calls, letters, and complaints I was informed that Infiniti officially refuses to act on the matter. At 18 months into my lease I had enough of bringing my car in to the dealer with problems and wasting countless hours and requested they take back the lease. Just received a phone call with "The problem isn't significant enough to act on" and formally denied my request of getting into another vehicle. Next step, better business bureau, consumer affairs, and then perhaps council.
Old 02-08-2012, 06:54 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by qirex
UPDATE 3

After 2 weeks of arbitration, phone calls, letters, and complaints I was informed that Infiniti officially refuses to act on the matter. At 18 months into my lease I had enough of bringing my car in to the dealer with problems and wasting countless hours and requested they take back the lease. Just received a phone call with "The problem isn't significant enough to act on" and formally denied my request of getting into another vehicle. Next step, better business bureau, consumer affairs, and then perhaps council.
Good luck!

I really cant believe Infiniti is taking that stance on something that could end up being a safety issue......at some point, someone is going to be in the middle of a "should I or shouldnt I" left hand turn and the car is going to respond completely opposite of what they expect, and there the transmission will be, "lagging" in the middle of oncoming traffic. I sure hope no one gets hurt, but I wonder what Infiniti would do then.......unless they are planning on "Toyota"-ing it and figuring those one-off cases would cost less than actually fixing the issue in every 7AT to begin with.

I mentioned the lagging on the 2 JD Power/Mercer surveys I got on the quality of the car, both times noting that I feel it could be a major safety issue.
Old 02-09-2012, 08:34 AM
Lothar52

What I dont understand.....is that the 7AT in my EX35 is PERFECT - no lag, no engine breaking, NO GEAR SEARCHING.....yet the 7AT in my G37S...not so much!!
Old 02-09-2012, 11:18 AM
dvuong85

I just dropped my 2011 G37S off this morning for 7,500 mile service. I mentioned the lag issue and harsh downshifting (I have the latest software update) to my service adviser and he said he is positive that Infiniti is working on something. He is aware of all the complaints, said he's noticed the issues too, and is glad people are bringing it up to Consumer Affairs. He's even contacted them himself.

He seemed extremely confident that there would be a fix out soon. I'm not saying that my adviser knows any more than any of the other reps you have spoken to, but just letting you know what I'm hearing from my end.
Old 02-09-2012, 05:15 PM
moomax

Has everybody here with the transmission lag called up Infiniti Consumer Affairs yet? If not, PLEASE DO!!! ( Infiniti USA - Contact Us )The rep I spoke with today knew about the exact issue I was talking about and even described it better than I did! He told me they are aware of the problem but need more people to call in in order to propagate the issue forward. So please, if you haven't yet, CALL ICA and let them know you're having this issue!!

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram