Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2012, 12:13 AM
Mike S.

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
What is crazy is that the 370z guys are silent on this. Its not like the 7at is a bad unit. While Nissan literally sells 10x more G's than 370z's, you'd think they would notice some issues. They rave about the 7at.
Old 02-02-2012, 08:35 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Strange thing is, before yesterday I didnt really feel this lag. All of a sudden, I do.

I was in the parking lot at work and needed to turn around (forgot something)....made a relatively tight U turn at a relatively high speed (there was no one around, and its nice to see how the AWD handles).....when I went to accelerate again the car kinda fell flat on its face, then took off (aka the lag eveyrone talks about). But, ever since then, I feel lag where I never did before, particularly under 2500RPM.

Only other thing that happened at the same time was that the car was low on fuel. I wonder if the filter ended up clogged from junk? or if its truly the transmission lag.

Im going to take the advice that the factory rep gave Almatti and try to drive it in DS for a while. I really do think that the lag didnt really show this badly in my car until now, and Im at 3900 miles. Kinda disappointing that they dont think there can be any more changes with the s/w.....and as someone else asked, how come this isnt an issue with the 370Z?
Old 02-02-2012, 12:05 PM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
I don't have the issues being described in the thread, but all I can say is hmmmmm...
I've had my 2010 for almost 2 years and put 18,000 miles on it. I have never experienced the transmission problems that some owners are complaining about. The reason I frequent these forums is to get a heads up on possible problems, but so far I have zero complaints about the G37.
Old 02-02-2012, 12:08 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by blnewt
Nice to know these forums do get some attention from those in the industry.
It really sucks to hear that nothing more can be improved via software, I've pretty much just gotten used to the quirks and overall the drive of the G is pretty good, and love the look of the car so at the end of the day I'm pretty happy w/ the car. Maybe there's still hope for a moderate improvement if they are indeed still trying to improve the performance of the 7AT. I'm a bit curious that maybe they're going to a new AT design in the near future so they're not going to give us w/ the current 7AT dilemma much attention or concern (sure hope not).
Thanks for your updates Almatti, wish you had something better to report
Originally Posted by hadokenuh
Thank you for the update Almatti. You've done very well!
Thanks for the accolades....I wish there was a "miracle" pill too. I am following the Tech's advice, drive the car in DS mode all the time for a week. He has found that there was some improvement in the performance and after she "adapts" there doesn't seem to be a major hit to the MPGs. As an additional note, the Tech also seemed to emphasize that the car is meant to drive like it was designed - a Personal Sports Perfromance Sedan. Meaning drive it hard...
Old 02-02-2012, 04:01 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Has anyone tried grounding wires to see if it helps with the lag that's mentioned here. From the reviews of grounding wires, it sounds like these wires improve throttle response and upshift/downshift times.
Old 02-02-2012, 04:26 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
As an additional note, the Tech also seemed to emphasize that the car is meant to drive like it was designed - a Personal Sports Perfromance Sedan. Meaning drive it hard...
How can I drive it hard in stop and go traffic in NYC?
Old 02-02-2012, 04:45 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
How can I drive it hard in stop and go traffic in NYC?
Paint your car yellow and put "taxi" on the roof
Old 02-02-2012, 04:52 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by blnewt
Paint your car yellow and put "taxi" on the roof
The problem is, I already drive more aggressive than them.
Old 02-02-2012, 05:39 PM
Yosemite Dan

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by HappyG
The problem is, I already drive more aggressive than them.
With all due respect no one drives more aggressively (ie: stupid) than cab drivers.
Old 02-02-2012, 10:39 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by Yosemite Dan
With all due respect no one drives more aggressively (ie: stupid) than cab drivers.
We all drive like that in NYC. Or we might as well walk.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:51 PM
MalbecG37S

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts
Originally Posted by awais
Has anyone tried grounding wires to see if it helps with the lag that's mentioned here. From the reviews of grounding wires, it sounds like these wires improve throttle response and upshift/downshift times.
I was going to ask the same. Although I have not experienced any issues with the trans (and I don't have the grounding wires yet) , the grounding wires are supposed to improve shifting times, etc, etc.

Anyone?
Old 02-03-2012, 07:52 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by MalbecG37S
I was going to ask the same. Although I have not experienced any issues with the trans (and I don't have the grounding wires yet) , the grounding wires are supposed to improve shifting times, etc, etc.

Anyone?
I did this mod on my 2000 Accord (which had bigger issues with the tranny than the 7AT will ever have) and didnt really feel any difference.

I understand the theory behind it, but I have to figure Infiniti sized the components correctly from the factory. *Maybe* if the car is really old and the factory ground wires start to corrode, sure this might help. But on a decently maintained car built in the last 3 or 4 years? Not so sure.

I actually made my own kit, you can go buy all the stuff from AutoZone, PepBoys, etc if you want to try it on your own. Its cheap enough that if you like the result you can dress it all up, or just replace it with a pre-made kit.
Old 02-03-2012, 10:25 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
I've been watching this thread for quite a while. I have a 2011 Sedan with 7000mi on it now. I've not had any issues, but am starting to "dislike" some programming of the transmission. I'm no where near the point of thinking it's bad or not liking the car as I think it is fine for daily driving. My biggest complaint is the shift points and gear selection. In the 40mph range being in 7th gear the car is flat. If you want to quickly change a lane in front of someone there is no power there. This is also true at other speeds. The car is always in to low of a gear. For test purposes I've been using the paddles exclusively in DS/Manual and find the car to be SO much more lively. Keeping 5th gear for 35-45mph cruising it has instant power as the RPMS are around 2500 and in the power band rather than 1000-1500rpm. Wish auto was a little more performance oriented...
Old 02-03-2012, 04:40 PM
Dub_37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
I've been watching this thread for quite a while. I have a 2011 Sedan with 7000mi on it now. I've not had any issues, but am starting to "dislike" some programming of the transmission. I'm no where near the point of thinking it's bad or not liking the car as I think it is fine for daily driving. My biggest complaint is the shift points and gear selection. In the 40mph range being in 7th gear the car is flat. If you want to quickly change a lane in front of someone there is no power there. This is also true at other speeds. The car is always in to low of a gear. For test purposes I've been using the paddles exclusively in DS/Manual and find the car to be SO much more lively. Keeping 5th gear for 35-45mph cruising it has instant power as the RPMS are around 2500 and in the power band rather than 1000-1500rpm. Wish auto was a little more performance oriented...
2012 G37S, had for about a month. I concur completely with everything you said.

Side note: maybe my favorite guitar is my late 80's black Ibanez 540R, signed and doodled on by Joe Satriani
Old 02-03-2012, 05:59 PM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
I've been watching this thread for quite a while. I have a 2011 Sedan with 7000mi on it now. I've not had any issues, but am starting to "dislike" some programming of the transmission. I'm no where near the point of thinking it's bad or not liking the car as I think it is fine for daily driving. My biggest complaint is the shift points and gear selection. In the 40mph range being in 7th gear the car is flat. If you want to quickly change a lane in front of someone there is no power there. This is also true at other speeds.
Yep that I agree with. Also compared to the G35 max torque on the G37 is at 5200 RPM's, the G35 was at 4800 RPM's. The higher max torque rating and liking to cruise in 7th gear is what causes my only gripe with this gearbox.

To get this car moving quickly from speed you need to get it to at least 4000 RPM's. You don't really feel anything below 3000 RPM's and it builds from there up.

Last edited by gugarci; 02-03-2012 at 10:49 PM.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram