Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2012, 11:03 AM
mcbaes72

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Printed out and will bring to dealership when next service is due in a couple of months. Thanks for the link.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:55 PM
loarmistead

I'm updating after running several months with the transmission update.

The hesitation and clunking when downshifting from 2nd to 1st is still gone. Overall shifting and performance is still just like it was immediately following the update.

One time in heavy stop and go traffic, the transmission started to act hesitant in 1st and 2nd, but as soon as traffic picked up again, the hesitation went away and never returned.

The shuddering under light acceleration in lower gears is completely gone and has not returned since the update.
Old 01-10-2012, 09:01 PM
DJ JMARx87

So the service manager called me back today after my survey and told me they would perform the update. They even offered to come pick up my car.
Old 01-10-2012, 10:39 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I think it's important for everyone to note that there are two different categories of complaints here...

(1) Those with the 2009s or 10s whose transmission was VERY obviously flawed... Nobody should be driving with the old pre-TSB software, IMO. That case is "fixed" by the TSB and puts you in category 2. By "fixed" I mean that Infiniti calls it "working as designed" and considers the problem solved. All this fix (TSB) does is put you in category 2. Those of you who started in category 1 are probably thrilled with the TSB, because the 7AT was truly a mess before the TSB. No doubt it seems like a huge improvement for those who suffered with it before.

(2) Is the people like myself who have the latest software or latest TSB already done, and Infiniti is saying "it is working as designed" even though we still have the very annoying (but a bit more subtle than the category 1) issues with the transmission. For me, these issues ruin the car, but for some people it is apparently not annoying. If I drive the car very very calmly, the problems are minimal, but if I drive it like I drove my G35 for 7 years, and all my other cars, then the problems are very frequent and aggravating. I know the trans is better with the newest software, but if you regularly switch between multiple cars like I do, it becomes very apparent that it is still quite unrefined and 'dumb'.

I await a new TSB, but I am not optimistic. They are only going to do the minimum they can get away with of course. For what its worth, I heard a rumor that another one is coming, in a magazine article talking about how the #1 complaint from Infiniti owners surveyed is the 7AT.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 01-10-2012 at 11:02 PM.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:40 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by mikeb2004
I await a new TSB, but I am not optimistic. They are only going to do the minimum they can get away with of course. For what its worth, I heard a rumor that another one is coming, in a magazine article talking about how the #1 complaint from Infiniti owners surveyed is the 7AT.
Although I'm also not overly optomistic about a super upgraded TSB that will solve all of the 7AT quirks I seriously doubt Infiniti engineers are only doing the minimum regarding this issue. The Infiniti G and especially the G with the AT is a huge majority of their sales volume. It's becoming more of a "known issue" w/ these cars and has to have a negative impact on sales. I'd be very surprised if Infiniti engineers aren't working overtime trying to figure out how to make this transmission perform without these current quirks.
It sounds like the 2012s are performing better but this is hard to quantify since many w/ new cars are still in the honeymoon phase and are so excited about a fresh new ride that annoyances may be overlooked. If the 2012s do indeed have a fresh software version and they're withholding it from the rest of us that would be a shame. If that's the case I sure hope a new TSB is coming out to get us less fortunate G owners back into a car that we're totally happy with.
I'm happier w/ my AT since the last TSB, but it's still not the drive I was expecting coming from my 07 G w/ 5AT.
Good post Mikeb2004, I'm firmly in category 2, sure hoping there's a final category 3 FTW soon
Old 01-11-2012, 12:02 AM
mikeb2004

What I would like to see them do is ditch the silly "smart" rev matching and "anticipating" downshifting that it does when it is in auto mode. To me it is pretty clear that it is causing/contributing to the delays and other annoyances. Having the rev match in manual mode is slick, but in auto mode, it should not be gunning the engine while you are braking aggressively for a turn. That's just ridiculous, and it's very distracting while I am trying to smoothly maintain momentum through a tight corner. I think many people driving these cars do not regularly brake hard entering a turn... The transmission drama in auto mode is crazy. Put it in sport mode and it is downright insane. I'm braking for heavens sake, and this thing is slamming the throttle down like a video game. Let me maintain momentum through the turn like every other automatic and then when I apply gas coming out of the turn, then it can downshift. They screwed up two things in this respect.... If you enter the turn really aggressively, it downshifts like crazy and you lose momentum... Then the exit gear is a mystery until you hit the gas and it "catches" after the delay. If you enter the turn more gently, then it does not downshift, and when you exit the turn the damn thing REFUSES to downshift until you really get on it, and by then you are too annoyed to even bother trying to have fun.

So, to sum up... What I would like to see them do is make it work like every other automatic in the garage: Mazda (best auto trans for an affordable car IMHO), Audi (amazingly refined and buttery smooth when you expect it to be and super responsive when you expect it to be), BMW, Hyundai, Jaguar. Or, If they want to be "uniquely Infiniti", then make the 7AT use the "brains" that the 5AT had 8 years ago, perhaps with a little more refinement. OR better yet, buy the trans from ZF (used in Audi and other euro makes). Hyundai was wise and put the ZF (German designed) auto trans in the Gen Coupe - it shifts excellently too.

Heads-up tuners: If you build a 7AT 'chip' or flash, we will line up to buy it.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 01-11-2012 at 12:23 AM.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:16 AM
DJ JMARx87

Got the TSB

Went to the dealer yesterday and they perfromed the TSB in about 45 mins. I then had to fight through traffic into Atlanta. The car felt much "lighter" some fo you will know what I mean. It didnt have the rough downshifts (well not very much) and I swear my fuel economy is better now.

For the dealer: I think they did an excellent job remediating my concern. The service manager even came and greeted me while I waited to have the car serviced.

DOMODOMODOMO

2009 G37s Sedan Moonlight White
Old 01-13-2012, 09:21 AM
gugarci

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I think it's important for everyone to note that there are two different categories of complaints here...

(1) Those with the 2009s or 10s whose transmission was VERY obviously flawed... Nobody should be driving with the old pre-TSB software, IMO.
Sorry Mike I have an 09 and I have never re-flash my gearbox. The only issue I used to have was the harsh downshift. But I decided a long, long time ago not too re-flash my car and that issue is long gone. My car has 37k.

My only issue with this gearbox is that is like to cruise around town in too high of a gear for my taste. I wish 6 & 7 gear would not be available at speeds below 45mph's. But I have adjusted to this issue and use the paddles while in "D" if I need more immediate power.
Old 01-13-2012, 03:29 PM
BTHURBER
Registered Member

My reprogram experience

2009 37x sedan

The lead tech wanted to take a drive with me to understand the problem better. He asked if I wanted him to drive or for me to drive. I had him drive. While he was driving I couldn't feel much rough shifting. I did notice some engine braking. He said the 7 speed transmission is busy because of all the gears it has to work with - which I guess makes sense. This busy-ness seems to bother some customers. (Busy-ness isn't an excuse not to be smooth though in my opinion). He also said that he thinks sometimes it is trying to do what is best for fuel economy rather than for comfort. I would agree here. It seems like a little more RPM might be nice at times. All take a little less MPG for better operation, thank you!

When we finished the drive he plugged it into the computer and found that it needed the engine and transmission updates - which he performed. Took about 40 minutes. He didn't see any error codes other than tires were low on pressure at one time. I think it feels a bit less "heavy" and "different" after the reprogram. I am not sure if it is better yet.

I bought this car used in December and I really like it. I did have one of those "come on car, find a gear before someone rear-ends me!" moments yesterday which prompted me going after this update . As a 3-time owner of Maxima's I was looking a hard look at them before going with the G. It's funny - over in their forum some of them are longing for the 7-speed AT that INFINITI has over their CVT. Oh well. The grass is always greener...

Brad
Old 01-13-2012, 04:22 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
What I would like to see them do is ditch the silly "smart" rev matching and "anticipating" downshifting that it does when it is in auto mode. To me it is pretty clear that it is causing/contributing to the delays and other annoyances. Having the rev match in manual mode is slick, but in auto mode, it should not be gunning the engine while you are braking aggressively for a turn. That's just ridiculous, and it's very distracting while I am trying to smoothly maintain momentum through a tight corner. I think many people driving these cars do not regularly brake hard entering a turn... The transmission drama in auto mode is crazy. Put it in sport mode and it is downright insane. I'm braking for heavens sake, and this thing is slamming the throttle down like a video game. Let me maintain momentum through the turn like every other automatic and then when I apply gas coming out of the turn, then it can downshift. They screwed up two things in this respect.... If you enter the turn really aggressively, it downshifts like crazy and you lose momentum... Then the exit gear is a mystery until you hit the gas and it "catches" after the delay. If you enter the turn more gently, then it does not downshift, and when you exit the turn the damn thing REFUSES to downshift until you really get on it, and by then you are too annoyed to even bother trying to have fun.

So, to sum up... What I would like to see them do is make it work like every other automatic in the garage: Mazda (best auto trans for an affordable car IMHO), Audi (amazingly refined and buttery smooth when you expect it to be and super responsive when you expect it to be), BMW, Hyundai, Jaguar. Or, If they want to be "uniquely Infiniti", then make the 7AT use the "brains" that the 5AT had 8 years ago, perhaps with a little more refinement. OR better yet, buy the trans from ZF (used in Audi and other euro makes). Hyundai was wise and put the ZF (German designed) auto trans in the Gen Coupe - it shifts excellently too.

Heads-up tuners: If you build a 7AT 'chip' or flash, we will line up to buy it.

(1) Those with the 2009s or 10s whose transmission was VERY obviously flawed... Nobody should be driving with the old pre-TSB software, IMO. That case is "fixed" by the TSB and puts you in category 2. By "fixed" I mean that Infiniti calls it "working as designed" and considers the problem solved. All this fix (TSB) does is put you in category 2. Those of you who started in category 1 are probably thrilled with the TSB, because the 7AT was truly a mess before the TSB. No doubt it seems like a huge improvement for those who suffered with it before.

(2) Is the people like myself who have the latest software or latest TSB already done, and Infiniti is saying "it is working as designed" even though we still have the very annoying (but a bit more subtle than the category 1) issues with the transmission. For me, these issues ruin the car, but for some people it is apparently not annoying. If I drive the car very very calmly, the problems are minimal, but if I drive it like I drove my G35 for 7 years, and all my other cars, then the problems are very frequent and aggravating. I know the trans is better with the newest software, but if you regularly switch between multiple cars like I do, it becomes very apparent that it is still quite unrefined and 'dumb'.

mikeb, very well said and described. I don't recall seeing your frustrations posted in this thread before, but hey, I've been posting here for a year, and there's Too Many pages to remember.

After having to reschedule my Factory Tech meeting via ICA, It's et for Jan 24th. But after reading these recent posts and those on Edmunds.com Infinti Forum posts, I'm not expecting much at all at this time. I've been down the road in July with the District Manager (DM), who admitted to the quirkiness - hestitation, but as you posted I'm in category 2. (had the "famed: TSB applied in February 2011). Most discouraging recent news was reading on Edmunds' site that owners of the 2012 have mentioned the same problem, not all of them, but a few recent ones have indicated the same behavior. It's Too that I was not agressive enough right at the first ride home when I picked up the car in June 2010, that I didn't just return it then and there...The battle continues. The comments in the following post, about the member meeting a Tech with the expression of ignorance on the issue.....He should read this forum, the owner surveys and magazine articles citing the Nissan 7AT issues and displeasure. At the End of the Day: the car gets better mileage ratings than my 2007 G35X - that's what this is all about.
Old 01-13-2012, 05:42 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by gugarci
Sorry Mike I have an 09 and I have never re-flash my gearbox. The only issue I used to have was the harsh downshift. But I decided a long, long time ago not too re-flash my car and that issue is long gone. My car has 37k.

My only issue with this gearbox is that is like to cruise around town in too high of a gear for my taste. I wish 6 & 7 gear would not be available at speeds below 45mph's. But I have adjusted to this issue and use the paddles while in "D" if I need more immediate power.
so basically, your symptoms are still there. all you did was worked around it by using paddles in D. but what if you didn't have paddles? or simply tried to step on your car when you need more power (like you should be doing), and get that long lag? we shouldn't need to work around this or just accept it as an annoyance. it should just work.
Old 01-13-2012, 08:40 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I had some work done today and they had to reset my ECU. It does feel better, more crisp - after that. I have an 09 and the latest tranny update.

Still, the rent car always seems faster & more nimble. Who knows.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:31 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

My one and only complain is the braking nearly to a stop and then gassing it. That delay in between responding when I press the throttle and having the car move is scary. It seems like once the tranny "figures" out that I'm pressing the throttle, it thinks that I'm gunning it causing a super rough acceleration/jerk. I have had the new tranny TSB done for ~5000 miles too.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:49 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by bingpwr
My one and only complain is the braking nearly to a stop and then gassing it. That delay in between responding when I press the throttle and having the car move is scary. It seems like once the tranny "figures" out that I'm pressing the throttle, it thinks that I'm gunning it causing a super rough acceleration/jerk. I have had the new tranny TSB done for ~5000 miles too.
Can anyone recall if this behavior was present in pre-TSB update. I do remember that it was more agressive in downshifting in both D and DS modes. The TSB did smooth out the engine breaking when coasting, but I feel that it introduced or made worse this gas/brake/gas lag situation.
Old 01-13-2012, 11:52 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by awais
Can anyone recall if this behavior was present in pre-TSB update. I do remember that it was more agressive in downshifting in both D and DS modes. The TSB did smooth out the engine breaking when coasting, but I feel that it introduced or made worse this gas/brake/gas lag situation.
yes it was.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram