Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2011, 12:02 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
keg, Thanks.... Perhaps we the Posters here should get together in a group Fashion and harrass Infiniti. Let's think about it. There is Strength In Numbers, sometimes !!

The Bottom Line to me: I actually like this car alot.... I really hope there is a FIX, but Porell has put aKaboosh on that it seems with his new 2012 G37X. If I am successful on the Turn in due to this "malfunction", I am afraid to trade up to the M37X ( a little larger - actually more preferable to me), but that car seems to have the same problems. There are Pro and Con posts there too !!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:10 PM
Racer_X

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 1BadAssG
The lag is gone but still exists.
Old thread, I know. Reading through this thread and had to quote this.

Possible sig material.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:59 PM
qirex

Originally Posted by mikeb2004
You describe all of the issues I have with this transmission perfectly ('11 G37 cpe). I'm tired of talking to them about it. I'm just going to replace this junk with the 335i that I should have bought in the first place. Honestly, I can't believe they can continue to sell these cars with this pathetic transmission. Worst transmission of ANY car I have ever owned. I have to use manual mode all the time, otherwise I want to pound my fists on something. It is always in the wrong gear. I've never regretted buying any car before, until this one. I also have little/no faith that they can correct the programming. The programmers of the shift logic obviously have never been behind the wheel of the car. Just get in ANY other car with a 6 or 7 or 8 speed auto and compare. The Infiniti transmission works like there's a temperamental child in the seat next to you randomly picking gears while picking his nose.
I came here to post exactly this. Still 20 months left on my lease, if anyone knows how to get out of it, let me know!
Old 12-29-2011, 07:18 PM
juicybusa

I had the 75a revised software update earlier today. I've driven approx 150 miles mixed city and interstate. Much much improved! I will tell you the service manager said he expects yet anther revision within the next month or so. However the 75a revision on my 09 made a dramatic improvement. I hypothesize that those that didn't see any improvement may have not had a fully successful reprogram since this involves both an ECM and Tcm reflash.
Old 12-29-2011, 09:36 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by juicybusa
I had the 75a revised software update earlier today. I've driven approx 150 miles mixed city and interstate. Much much improved! I will tell you the service manager said he expects yet anther revision within the next month or so. However the 75a revision on my 09 made a dramatic improvement. I hypothesize that those that didn't see any improvement may have not had a fully successful reprogram since this involves both an ECM and Tcm reflash.
When was the 75a reflash released for the TSB? I had mine done back in June, anything newer than that? It sure sounds like those w/ the 2012 Gs are having less issues so it's be great if the rest of us could get the same software tweak to our Gs
Old 01-04-2012, 12:04 PM
WirelessAndy

Does anyone know if the 75a flash overwrites any UpRev ECU programming?
Old 01-04-2012, 02:20 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I just visited my dealer for oil change. While I was there, I told my service adviser about the lag I'm still experiencing from time to time. Guess what? Same old story, I got the answer "unable to duplicate". I guess I'll continue to report the same complaint every time I am there until they have a fix.
Old 01-04-2012, 02:50 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I experience the lag every time I drive. If you drive the car 'aggressively' all the time, it happens very frequently. By aggressively, I mean, brake, turn, gas. Winding roads, quick cornering, etc. This 7AT falls flat on its face when driven spiritedly.

And there's different types of lag too... There's the annoying kind that just makes the car annoying to drive and you wish you were in your other car. And there's the dangerous kind where the car just does not GO, for a couple seconds.

I experience the dangerous kind pretty rarely, but after it happens a few times, you lose all faith in the car's ability to GO when commanded. It may as well have 200HP, because the 330 is not consistently on tap. I'll take consistently-moderate-acceleration over "awesome acceleration most of the time except once in a while".

I'm not talking about an occasional sprint or flooring it or taking one turn a little faster than 'normal'. This car is great in the test drive, it sucks when you want to drive it like a sports coupe every day.

I am talking about steady spirited driving, maintaining some speed thru turns (within VERY SAFE limits) and getting back on the gas at the optimum time. This is simply not a driver's car like the G35 5AT was. Heck, I am sad to say it is not even the driver's car that a Hyundai is either. Using manual mode you can avoid the lag about half the time. It still downshifts unexpectedly in a turn even in manual mode though. None of my other AT cars have this problem and I drive them all spiritedly, like I have been driving for 20+ years.

Whats even more maddening is that the stupid 7AT isn't luxurious either! It's just always rough, always unrefined, and usually in the wrong gear. Don't think so? Drive a Hyundai, or a Mazda, or an Audi, or a BMW, or a Ford, and compare.

The consumer surveys are quite clear and documented and Nissan has acknowledged that the single biggest complaint about Infiniti vehicles in the last few years is the transmission. It's not because "some of us" are complainers. It's defective. For those who disagree, you're just not driving it *consistently* spiritedly, or you're hoping to protect your investment, like I was for a while, keeping silent about this.

(2011 7at coupe with paddles)

Last edited by mikeb2004; 01-04-2012 at 03:11 PM.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:40 PM
HappyG

mikeb2004, have you tried to reset the ecu?

I took my car back from the dealer and done some city driving. Very responsive and no lag at all. They didn't tell me, but I guess they reset the ecu while my car was at the dealer. But I'm sure history will repeat itself and I will experience lag again in stop and go traffic a week or 2 later.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:46 PM
keg

Originally Posted by HappyG
mikeb2004, have you tried to reset the ecu?

I took my car back from the dealer and done some city driving. Very responsive and no lag at all. They didn't tell me, but I guess they reset the ecu while my car was at the dealer. But I'm sure history will repeat itself and I will experience lag again in stop and go traffic a week or 2 later.
HappyG, give it 2-3 weeks and it will be back to the herky jerky transmission. I have tested this approach quite a few times.

I think I just reset now just to appease myself from driving it through the dealer's showroom window
Old 01-04-2012, 04:51 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
it shouldn't be a requirement to reset a car's ECU in order to have a smooth tranny, just to have it go back to jerky a couple weeks later. i consider that a flaw, not a fix.
Old 01-04-2012, 04:55 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by keg
HappyG, give it 2-3 weeks and it will be back to the herky jerky transmission. I have tested this approach quite a few times.
Same here.
Old 01-04-2012, 05:03 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by sniper27
it shouldn't be a requirement to reset a car's ECU in order to have a smooth tranny, just to have it go back to jerky a couple weeks later. i consider that a flaw, not a fix.
I wish Infiniti could provide me their source code. I'll prepend ecu reset to the start button action list. Just a wishful thinking...
Old 01-05-2012, 03:13 AM
TRZ06

Anybody file a lemon law for this issue yet? Mine is terrible and has almost got me rear-ended a few times
Old 01-05-2012, 11:30 AM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by TRZ06
Anybody file a lemon law for this issue yet? Mine is terrible and has almost got me rear-ended a few times
Getting rear ended is not the trannys fault, it's the fault of the idiot behind you.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram