Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2011, 09:29 AM
jackal2001
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me dealer just got back to me. It seems that ITB10-075a was released on April 14th, 2011. My G37x was built in May 2011. According to my VIN my car was made after the TSB was released and he said it was not needed.

This TSB, even built in from factory, obviously doesn't fix the issues. Especially the hard downshifting I was getting from day one from 2nd to 1st when coming to a stop. I also have weird shifting issues at low speeds like the tranny doesn't know what gear it should be in.

My VIN ends in 355170 which is past this TSB.
Attached Thumbnails G37 7speed transmission reprogram-photo.jpg  

Last edited by jackal2001; 12-14-2011 at 09:38 AM.
Old 12-14-2011, 09:37 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by mw09g37
I spend more time in manual than i really should.. but it's dangerous to not have the power when you need it.
I use manual mode when it frustrates me. What's worse is when I forget I'm in manual, and wind out 1st gear! Passengers look at me strangely...
Old 12-14-2011, 03:56 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
I use manual mode when it frustrates me. What's worse is when I forget I'm in manual, and wind out 1st gear! Passengers look at me strangely...
I hate to admit, but I've done it a few times after sitting at a light a while and being distracted making me forget Im in manual.
Old 12-14-2011, 05:02 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
I have done the reset a couple times and each time the car feels fresh. For the most part I am able to live with the adaptive weird shifting, but as someone else here mentioned now that winter is upon us first thing in the morning it is more jerky.
Seems after warming up about 10 minutes of driving or so does the tranny start smoothing out a little. Made me think if it is all computer related why does it need warming up?
Old 12-21-2011, 06:39 PM
mikeb2004

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You describe all of the issues I have with this transmission perfectly ('11 G37 cpe). I'm tired of talking to them about it. I'm just going to replace this junk with the 335i that I should have bought in the first place. Honestly, I can't believe they can continue to sell these cars with this pathetic transmission. Worst transmission of ANY car I have ever owned. I have to use manual mode all the time, otherwise I want to pound my fists on something. It is always in the wrong gear. I've never regretted buying any car before, until this one. I also have little/no faith that they can correct the programming. The programmers of the shift logic obviously have never been behind the wheel of the car. Just get in ANY other car with a 6 or 7 or 8 speed auto and compare. The Infiniti transmission works like there's a temperamental child in the seat next to you randomly picking gears while picking his nose.

Originally Posted by bitNine
It's fun to read through this after having my car for awhile now. I seriously hate the 7AT.

I've got 10,300 miles on my 2011 G now, and the transmission is still crap. I pretty much always drive it in manual mode, because the transmission is stupid and never knows what the hell it is doing. Put it in DS, and it never drives as aggressively as I'd like it to, or I'm just cruising down the freeway, and suddenly it'll downshift to 4th when I give it just a little bit of gas, then it hangs in gear forever. It's never ready to give me power I need within a second, and when I don't want it, there it is. It takes at least 3 seconds in 7th gear from the time I floor it, to the time full power is applied. Sometimes it shifts down farther than I want it to... it's hard to hit the gear you want for the power you're looking for.

The other big one that drives me nuts is the 4-3 downshift. I drive a very predictable route to work every day, and I have a corner where I am going about 25mph, and there's no reason to use the brake. I will sometimes enter this corner >25mph, and the car is in 4th gear. At turn apex, I give it gas, and the car feels like it's stalled... 2-3 seconds of no gas and it finally springs to life... you can tell it's the transmission shifting. If I'm on top of it with the paddles, I can overcome it. But it's like the transmission gets stuck in the downshift and waits to apply power until the shift is complete. It's the strangest thing.

Then there's the 2nd gear torque converter release point... the point at which the car slows enough to have to release the torque converter, but not quite enough to have to shift down into first. I will come into a slightly aggressive stop in 2nd gear, and then start to let up on the brake nearing the end of the stop, and the release of the torque converter happens too late and causes the car to jump forward slightly, creating the sensation of not braking enough (ready to hit the car in front of you), causing you to want to brake harder, making it near impossible to make a complete stop without modulation of the brake pedal in some fashion.

In Manual mode, coming to a stop is painful... You always have to change brake pressure, and downshifts are extremely noticeable when done automatically. Something that doesn't happen in regular D mode, or even DS. I find in many cases, for the smoothest stop, I just drop the car in Neutral. So, basically, I have a manual without a clutch pedal. I also wish you could get back into DS from manual mode by holding the + paddle.

Then there's the 3-4 flare, which I can often replicate by being in manual mode in 3rd, and accelerating just a little bit, then shifting to 4th... Doesn't happen too often, but it's annoying.

The 7AT is great for those times when you want to drive like grandma and get great gas mileage, or drive it like a crazy person, completely out of control. But if you want to drive mildly aggressively, there's just no middle ground in this transmission. Manual mode is the only way to go.

I will complain to Infiniti every time I take the car in... I'll probably even send a threatening letter to Inifiniti. It wouldn't be my first time having to get a manufacturer to listen to and fix a problem with a car. Honestly, to me it feels like a ton of it could be fixed through software.

Last edited by mikeb2004; 12-21-2011 at 07:24 PM.
Old 12-21-2011, 07:19 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
MikeB2004; I agree that the 7AT problems are most likely software related. After all, if it were hardware, I don't think the trans would drive well one day and not the next / sometimes work well and sometimes not.

Personally, I have no serious complaints about my 2009 7AT other than the "D" delay which seems better after the s/w upgrade. (Maybe this is because I have driven a long line of cars with total POS transmissions before the G. (I'll let you guess the brands.;-)

About the BMW 335, IMHO, it is a nice car. However, before you jump, I'd suggest you read the BMW forums as to complaints 335 owners have about their cars / transmissions. Also, Consumer Reports etc. Mileage wishes and requirements have IMHO, made for some undesireable manufacturer trade-offs.
Old 12-26-2011, 11:08 PM
Lothar52

Originally Posted by Almatti
I am now waiting to hear from an Infiniti Engineer who is to meet with me and also address these Tranny Issues.

Lets's see how it goes with the engineer....There is no real FIX out there as far as i know..only BS. Too bad, they should have left the 5AT alone.

Any word on what the Infiniti Engineer had to say about the tranny?

Loth
Old 12-26-2011, 11:26 PM
Imua1

Originally Posted by TinsleyC

Think we all want a fix from Infiniti for the 7AT quirks...any idea if there is one coming?
Old 12-27-2011, 04:36 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Lothar, My app't is on Jan 4. I'll post the results as soon as I can. But with all these new frustrated memeber posts, this doesn't seem to be resolvable. If I can get them to take the car back, I'm Otta Here !!!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:21 PM
Schulminator

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
MikeB2004: Try web searching "carbon buildup on N54 engine" and this might change your mind on the 335i and their direct injected engine. It looks like Audi and BMW both have huge issues with excessive carbon buildup on the intake valves, which causes bad performance, idle, and throwing misfire codes....As I was going back and forth bewteen 335i and G37, and this helped to make up my mind (even though I have not made my purchase yet)...
Old 12-27-2011, 11:40 PM
rlo
Registered Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Schulminator
MikeB2004: Try web searching "carbon buildup on N54 engine" and this might change your mind on the 335i and their direct injected engine. It looks like Audi and BMW both have huge issues with excessive carbon buildup on the intake valves, which causes bad performance, idle, and throwing misfire codes....As I was going back and forth bewteen 335i and G37, and this helped to make up my mind (even though I have not made my purchase yet)...
Carbon buildup, valve leaks I know this all too well with a C class. If you are going to lease no problem, if you intend to keep the car longer than 75k miles something to definitely consider.
Old 12-28-2011, 11:55 AM
plorell

I've recently purchased a 2012 G37x Sedan (12/15/2011) and quickly discovered issues with the 7 AT. I sent the email below to my salesperson late last week. My car was picked up for service today.

"I want to thank you again for finding and delivering THE car I desired so quickly. I feel vindicated because I chose the correct dealership and the options that matter to me most in a car and both decisions turned out great!

However, there is an issue I would like to bring to your attention...

When we spoke yesterday afternoon I had previously noticed an issue with the behavior of the transmission that I had not yet investigated further so I didn't consider it noteworthy at the time. I took time last night to test the car under different scenarios that required the transmission to support various low to mid speed manuvers on major roads and residential neighborhoods. I spent about an hour and a quarter tank of gas validating my suspicions regarding the transmission. There is a noticable lag / lurch in the transmission in several low speed / stop and go type situations. The car struggles to find the appropriate gear when starting from any stand still position, accelerating from a slow speed situation like a turn from one street to another in a neighborhood and in executing all u-turn manuvers. Instead of moving quickly from one gear to the next, the car slowly selects a gear (as though it's taking a deep breath) then lurches forward and continues to lurch in a lesser fashion until heavier pressure is applied to the gas pedal. I did a little research on the matter and discovered that this is a known issue with the G's 7-speed automatic transmission (software):

Infiniti G37 Transmission Problems - Car Forums - Edmunds

Infiniti G37 Technical Support Bullitins (see ITB10-075a)

At the very least, the current behavior of the transmission is extremely annoying. At the very most, the current behavior of the transmission can be considered extremely dangerous for the driver and his/her passengers. For example: When turning onto a major road from a stand still or performing a u-turn, the car just doesn't perform as expected which could lead to misjudging oncoming traffic. As a result, I've recommended to my wife that she not drive this car in its current state.

Can you please contact me regarding this issue? I would really like to get this resolved immediately.

Thanks, again!"

I have to tell you all, I took the loaner for a spin around downtown Washington, DC and IT DROVE PERFECTLY. Shifted perfectly and performed like an automatic transmission should in every way (I also own a 2006 Lexus that runs great and it reminded me of that cars transmission). If my new car ran like this loaner, I would be extremely happy. I called the service department and informed them right away. Makes me feel like not all G37x's are doomed to have a permanently faulty transmission control system.

I'll let you all know how this turns out when I get my car back.
Old 12-28-2011, 01:38 PM
bitNine

Originally Posted by plorell
I have to tell you all, I took the loaner for a spin around downtown Washington, DC and IT DROVE PERFECTLY. Shifted perfectly and performed like an automatic transmission should in every way (I also own a 2006 Lexus that runs great and it reminded me of that cars transmission). If my new car ran like this loaner, I would be extremely happy. I called the service department and informed them right away. Makes me feel like not all G37x's are doomed to have a permanently faulty transmission control system.

I'll let you all know how this turns out when I get my car back.
What "loaner car" did you get exactly?

I will be headed to the dealer on Friday for some work, and I will print out the post I made about a month ago, and give it to them to read, along with the responses of other people who have said they experience the same exact issues as I posted. It's pretty frustrating.

Has anyone gone through Infiniti's dispute resolution process to try to get this problem solved? I may start down that route and if I don't get a response, I will get an attorney to represent me before I hit the one year old mark.
Old 12-28-2011, 02:33 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
plorell, I am very disturbed to learn of your post. I have been one of the most vocal members posting about my unhappiness with the 7AT. I continue to plow forward pursuing my Complaints directly with Infiniti, hoping for either a "real Fix" or for them to take my car back (leased) at no further cost to me { and maybe also get my upfront costs returned, but that would be a Utopian event}. Another Poster on this Thread, with a 2012 G37X, seemed to indicate that his car was good, the problems corrected, and that gave me a positive feeling that Infiniti has come up with the solution. Now your post takes US backward - you describe exactly what we are ALL feeling with the 7AT in 2009, 2010, 2011 models and now evidently in the 2012 models too....Sad...

Now with this new information, I intend to meet the Technical Engineer from Infiniti District Offices on Jan 4th and have no expectations of a FIX, but listen to more BS which they fed to me in July. Only alternative is to turn it back in.
Old 12-28-2011, 04:52 PM
keg

My experience with trying to get anyone to do anything about this has been the same. Infiniti Corp is useless in IMHO and they simply offload you to back to the local dealership who say there is no problem 1/2 the time and the other half say there is a problem but they are still working on a fix depending on who you talk with. A very sad customer service story here. I have all but given up on this problem and concede to the fact that they won't have this fixed for a long time if at all.

Now with this new information, I intend to meet the Technical Engineer from Infiniti District Offices on Jan 4th and have no expectations of a FIX, but listen to more BS which they fed to me in July. Only alternative is to turn it back in.
Almatti - good luck with your meeting with the Tech Engineer. I'm anxious to hear the results.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram