Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2011, 11:49 AM
ged1067

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think I feel the opposite of everybody else: I would like more slow down when I release the gas pedal, not less. I loved my previous auto which allowed me to keep in pace with traffic just by putting the foot on gas and taking it of when I wanted to slow down. I do it now with down shifting but it's not as good...takes too long to take effect.

GED
Old 06-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ged1067
I think I feel the opposite of everybody else: I would like more slow down when I release the gas pedal, not less. I loved my previous auto which allowed me to keep in pace with traffic just by putting the foot on gas and taking it of when I wanted to slow down. I do it now with down shifting but it's not as good...takes too long to take effect.

GED
ged, exactly, that's why I think the Paddle Shifters could be used in those instances and not require you to be in Manual or DS mode. In my car, the DS modes is Soooo different than my 07 G35X. But the entire 7AT performs sooooo differently than my 07 G35X. I have an 09 G35X loaner today, yes, it does exhibit some of the same characteristics of my 2010, but not quite as bad, less hesitation - still there - but less, similar coasting jerkiness though. I was fooling a little with my 2010 G37X over the weekend, before I brough it in for service today. I found that on local roads, 30-40 MPH, is the absolute worse. Shift into DS mode and tap the Upshift, I find that I'm in 6th or 7th gear with 1500 RPMs, at 38 MPH. That's the problem: The TC is locked up at much too high a gear - all for the sake of higher mileage...In those driving scenarios, it feels sluggish, I "feel" the Torque Conterver lockup [very similar to older cars when they first introduced Overdirve gears].
Old 06-27-2011, 12:47 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by Mudgen
Interesting that the paddles on the CVT Subie are responsive. I was a dyed in the wool Legacy GT enthusiast ('05, '08) until they decided to stop putting an auto in the turbo models. But the paddles were so slow to shift that I didn't bother with them, the 5EAT shifted better on its own.

The previous generation Legacy GT was no $40K car, to be sure, but I always relished the notion that I was just a smidgen off BMW 330 performance for many thousands left. They abandoned this old arthritic guy who can't handle a clutch in rush hour traffic any more, and it's my gain. I've come to really like the 7AT, quirks and all. As I've said before, yours doesn't seem to work the way it's supposed to, and I do hope you get some relief from Infiniti.
Mudgen, the CVT surprised me too.... First tried it in Morano a few years back. No Paddles on that car, and a new concept of CVT which was consistent to the complaints at the time: You don't feel or sense the gear changes when accelerating.. The 2010 Subbie's CVT is different, more Traditional Auto Tranny- like, IMO. This is a Vastly different car for Subaru - larger, smoother, much more attractive than the designs of yesteryear) and with some more refinements (better interior materials mostly), this car is going to give the others something to really worry about. Subbie sales are doing very well and the Legacy and Outback are the reasons.
Old 06-30-2011, 08:42 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by ged1067

GED
I hear ya..

I did come to get used to that "engine braking" effect, and appreciated it in bumper to bumper traffic as well when I was driving back and forth from Chicago to the burbs and v.v.

Oh well..
Old 06-30-2011, 08:51 AM
coolraz

Originally Posted by PeterUbers
I hear ya..

I did come to get used to that "engine braking" effect, and appreciated it in bumper to bumper traffic as well when I was driving back and forth from Chicago to the burbs and v.v.

Oh well..
Well....since the transmission is programmable, the best thing woudl be for someone like Uprev to fully understand how it works (right now they have only cracked some of the basic functions), so that you can get a custom tune for the tranny and decide on whatever you want so it fits your driving style!
Old 06-30-2011, 11:09 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
This is a Vastly different car for Subaru - larger, smoother, much more attractive than the designs of yesteryear) and with some more refinements (better interior materials mostly), this car is going to give the others something to really worry about. Subbie sales are doing very well and the Legacy and Outback are the reasons.
Yes, to each his own. They're doing well, bless 'em, by going for the greatest common denominator. I guess the take rate for automatic Legacy GTs was low enough that dumping that clientele was a wash for them.

I did prefer the previous generation Legacy styling to the current Maxima-like upsized model, but it's a family sedan first, with a performance model almost as an afterthought.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:20 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Originally Posted by coolraz
Well....since the transmission is programmable, the best thing woudl be for someone like Uprev to fully understand how it works (right now they have only cracked some of the basic functions), so that you can get a custom tune for the tranny and decide on whatever you want so it fits your driving style!
Yep, I think either custom trans programs or a menu of programs from Infiniti would be the only ways to quiet this controversy. Of course, unless they're free there will be controversy about the cost.

Me, I'm among the many who have come to appreciate the way their 7AT works. Yesterday its aggressiveness was a delight as I picked my way through 5 miles of interstate populated with people going from 50-65 in a 70 zone with no apparent reason for a slowdown.
Old 07-01-2011, 10:48 AM
Almatti

Me, I'm among the many who have come to appreciate the way their 7AT works. Yesterday its aggressiveness was a delight as I picked my way through 5 miles of interstate populated with people going from 50-65 in a 70 zone with no apparent reason for a slowdown.<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Mudgen, I would certainly expect a 306 HP Sport sedan to handle that scenario with ease as you described. It's when you get into stop n go traffic 5-20/25/30 mph that the quirkiness / the jerkiness comes to light. And then, after slowing and you step on the gas to quickly jump into another lane, whoa.... what l a g g i n g.....sometimes it feels like a solid 2 seconds before she finds the proper downshift gear. The Torque converter locks up to quickly as has been posted here so many times. At 35 - 40 MPH on a local suburban street - RPMS are at 1400-1500 in 6th or worse 7th gear. That's engineered to get the mileage gains. Too high a gear for that driving scenario...I feel the lumbering - felt it the day I drove it home in June 2010....Two days later, and one year later I'm still pursuing the answer or trade 'er in w/o cost to me for a different car.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:20 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

^Hmm. My G37 sedan is 328hp.
Old 07-01-2011, 11:43 AM
Almatti

Oh yeah, I am still focued on my 07 G35X...you're right 328HP.
Old 07-05-2011, 07:03 AM
hscac

I have heard you guys talking abt 45mph+ and being not enough power (at 6 or 7th gear and only 1500rpm). That is good for milage but bad for performance and passing on highway.

However, I have questions regarding speed between 25 - 32mph.
I found that if i m crusing at 24mph (just below 40kmh, like in a slow city traffic), the 7AT often stays at 3th gear (in D, not in DS or manual) and rev at approx. 2000rpm and NOT upshifting. (I cannot override it by putting it to manual, 3th -4th gear shift point is at 40kmh, or 25mph)

Same for 33mph (just below 53kmh, city speed limit is 50kmh), the gearbox holds at 4th gear (in D, not in DS or M), and rev again at 21000rpm and NOT upshift til 53kmh, or 34mph. (Again, in manual mode the shift point is 53kmh and I cannot upshift to 5th gear).

This is actaully a problem especially in city driving. In a city slow crusing i definitely do not need the performance (engine braking and feels like i am prepared for racing anytime). I checked and I found out that the gas milage by crusing at 39kmh (24mph) gives you 13L/100km, (that's really bad for CRUSING), and crusing at 50kmh(32mph) gives you 11.5L/100km (that's stupid when you comparing my frd's BMW 335i crusing at 50kmh steady gives you less than 8 L/100km).

Do you guys have the same shift point and similiar characteristics?

PS: If I accerlate from 0 - 50kmh (32mph) very slowly and steady (only in straight line), sometimes the tranny (in D auto) actaully upshift very early and yield very good gas millage in slow speed crusing.
It shifts to 5th gear already when I reach 40kmh (only about 1100rpm) and at 50kmh(33mph) it stays at 1100rpm and i believe its at 6th gear already...
Is this actually a upshift and convertor lock early?
This yield very good gas milage for slow speed crusing (only 6.7l/100km at 50kmh @1100rpm, compare to above 11.5/100km)

Please advise and comment.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:34 AM
manbeing
Registered Member

why did you cruse at 24m/h?

Originally Posted by hscac
I have heard you guys talking abt 45mph+ and being not enough power (at 6 or 7th gear and only 1500rpm). That is good for milage but bad for performance and passing on highway.

However, I have questions regarding speed between 25 - 32mph.
I found that if i m crusing at 24mph (just below 40kmh, like in a slow city traffic), the 7AT often stays at 3th gear (in D, not in DS or manual) and rev at approx. 2000rpm and NOT upshifting. (I cannot override it by putting it to manual, 3th -4th gear shift point is at 40kmh, or 25mph)

Same for 33mph (just below 53kmh, city speed limit is 50kmh), the gearbox holds at 4th gear (in D, not in DS or M), and rev again at 21000rpm and NOT upshift til 53kmh, or 34mph. (Again, in manual mode the shift point is 53kmh and I cannot upshift to 5th gear).

This is actaully a problem especially in city driving. In a city slow crusing i definitely do not need the performance (engine braking and feels like i am prepared for racing anytime). I checked and I found out that the gas milage by crusing at 39kmh (24mph) gives you 13L/100km, (that's really bad for CRUSING), and crusing at 50kmh(32mph) gives you 11.5L/100km (that's stupid when you comparing my frd's BMW 335i crusing at 50kmh steady gives you less than 8 L/100km).

Do you guys have the same shift point and similiar characteristics?

PS: If I accerlate from 0 - 50kmh (32mph) very slowly and steady (only in straight line), sometimes the tranny (in D auto) actaully upshift very early and yield very good gas millage in slow speed crusing.
It shifts to 5th gear already when I reach 40kmh (only about 1100rpm) and at 50kmh(33mph) it stays at 1100rpm and i believe its at 6th gear already...
Is this actually a upshift and convertor lock early?
This yield very good gas milage for slow speed crusing (only 6.7l/100km at 50kmh @1100rpm, compare to above 11.5/100km)

Please advise and comment.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:04 PM
Almatti

hscac: That's what I hate about this Tranny. The too soon upshift to 6th or 7th gear at a local road speed of say 30-40 MPH...RPMs at 1500. The Tranny feels as though it is almost lumbering, it has that Torque Converter Lock up feel of cars of yesteryear when Overdrive Auto Trannies came out.... I hate that. I'll sacrifice the extra mile per gallon for better - quicker response when I step on the gas.

My 07 G35X didn't do that....she seemed to be in the "right" gear most of the time without using DS mode. In fact, the DS mode in the G37X is not the same either, less responsive, just drives so differently than my 07.

Your description of being in a lower gear at slower speeds in D mode, and unable to upshift to higher gear in Manual Mode at those speeds, seems to indicate that your car does indeed have different Shift points set in the throttle mapping / ECU behavior??
Old 07-06-2011, 01:56 PM
hscac

At much as I hate to, the city core traffic is getting slower and slower.
24mph is about 39kmh.

Originally Posted by manbeing
why did you cruse at 24m/h?
Old 07-06-2011, 02:00 PM
hscac

Can u briefly tell me your shift point for the first 5 gears?

For both manual and D and DS, the tranny shift point is at: (in kmh)

1 >2gear @ 7kmh (4.3mph)
2>3 @ 20kmh (12.5mph)
3>4 @40kmh(25mph)
4>5 @ 53kmh(33.125mph)
5>6 @ 60kmh(37.5mph)

In manual, if I try to upshift before that limited, the beepx2 sounds off.

PS: I haved applied the TSB 075 update in March already.

Originally Posted by Almatti
hscac: That's what I hate about this Tranny. The too soon upshift to 6th or 7th gear at a local road speed of say 30-40 MPH...RPMs at 1500. The Tranny feels as though it is almost lumbering, it has that Torque Converter Lock up feel of cars of yesteryear when Overdrive Auto Trannies came out.... I hate that. I'll sacrifice the extra mile per gallon for better - quicker response when I step on the gas.

My 07 G35X didn't do that....she seemed to be in the "right" gear most of the time without using DS mode. In fact, the DS mode in the G37X is not the same either, less responsive, just drives so differently than my 07.

Your description of being in a lower gear at slower speeds in D mode, and unable to upshift to higher gear in Manual Mode at those speeds, seems to indicate that your car does indeed have different Shift points set in the throttle mapping / ECU behavior??

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram