Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-2011, 04:53 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
the Ghost, THX for the update.....My Dealer has not volunteered to have Reps from Infiniti "monitor" my car. Never in my entire 40+ years of driving, owning , and renting cars - numerous cars - have I ever heard that "Heart Monitors" are now Required.....WTF is that. Is the Patient Dead???
Old 06-06-2011, 06:00 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by Morrissey
what is early trade in? a lease term? I bought my car oct 2010. am I eligible?
Originally Posted by Mudgen
I drive full time in DS, VDC off, unless the roads are wet or other slippery conditions exist. The only time I've experienced lag is when I've pushed the car to the limits of adhesion and then stand on it coming out of a corner, with the VDC engaged. It then behaves like all 3 of my previous VDC equipped Subarus, dumping speed before taking up the throttle.

Almatti, it does sound like your car may be among the few with actual defects. I think that there are indeed thousands of posts about 7AT issues if you dig them up on all the threads in all the forums where they've been discussed. For the most part, they seem to be remarks from people who don't like the way the 7AT works by design, but there are certainly some, like yours, that report what appear to be anomalies from the normal characteristics of the transmission. I suspect that there's so much background noise from folks who just don't like the way the thing works that it's difficult to get dealers to recognize actual problems for the few who have them.

So, what's next for you? Have you started narrowing down your choices?
Mudgen, considering a Caddy CTS; maybe, just maybe.....a Lincoln MKS; or Ford Taurus SHO AWD; Bimmer ??; Audi ??and also strongly looking at a 09 M35X as a CPO with lower mileage. But that is only if I can "break" the Lease (Called Early Termination) without a Charge or need for any other paydown on my part... My Dealer mentioned that commencing July 1 I would qualify for an early Termination. Ileased in Mid June 2010...
Old 06-06-2011, 07:19 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Audi DSG tranny is the smoothest tranny i've ever driven.
Old 06-06-2011, 08:55 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by sniper27
Audi DSG tranny is the smoothest tranny i've ever driven.
The S4 is SOOOOOO sweet, A CPO S4 is on my short list next year
Old 06-06-2011, 09:36 PM
dirtymaf

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So, I just had the ECU/TCM update performed on my 2009 g37x and it definitely shifts a lot smoother right now. I don't feel the throttle kick up as much as it used to between shifts. But how much of that is attributed to the learning buffer? I also notice that DS mode is a lot less aggressive than it used to be.

When I had the work done, I was driving a 2010 loaner g. That car also seemed to shift pretty smooth compared to what I had gotten used to on mine, so that gives me some encouragement. Keeping my fingers crossed.
Old 06-06-2011, 11:38 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Im starting to notice the lag/quirks with my 7AT. Im not too worried about it (there is always paddle shifting ), but the only thing I can say about it is that the transmission obviously has the ability to act correctly after an ECU reset, so it seems like its definitely a software issue.

Hopefully Nissan/Infiniti can track it down. Surely there are tons of complaints out there somewhere, since it seems even the Ms might have the same problem.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Im starting to notice the lag/quirks with my 7AT. Im not too worried about it (there is always paddle shifting ), but the only thing I can say about it is that the transmission obviously has the ability to act correctly after an ECU reset, so it seems like its definitely a software issue.

Hopefully Nissan/Infiniti can track it down. Surely there are tons of complaints out there somewhere, since it seems even the Ms might have the same problem.
Ditto Chris11LE....I'm not too hopeful. Have you guys seen other new Added Threads to the Tranny Issues. It's truly wonderous that there are so many complaints about this 7AT.
The last two days, I've now tried to implement another member's drive style with this car. When cruising and you need to accelerate shift into DS mode for a "quicker" reaction downshift, when you blance out shift back to D mode. Same with a quick braake and gas move. seems to help a little IMO....but if I leave it in D Mode- still get that Lag....I can't stand it when my $40K car does that. Worse part of it: Everything else is so great about this car: style, ride, HANDLING, Braking, the interior (could a bit roomier), except for this freakin 7 speed Auto Tranny.
Old 06-07-2011, 07:02 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The fact that Nissan added a "cannister" to monitor data leads me to believe they are at least taking the problem sorta seriously. Hopefully its just a simple thing like tweaking a learning algorithm, adjusting a sensor, etc. There are lots of things at play with this tranny, including a yaw sensor. Any glitch in those values might lead to inaccurate stored data. Im actually fairly hopeful they can find something, especially if they have a working baseline (i.e. reset ECU and it works fine for a bit).....it could just be a matter of comparing data before and after shifting gets wonky.
Old 06-07-2011, 10:27 PM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
The fact that Nissan added a "cannister" to monitor data leads me to believe they are at least taking the problem sorta seriously. Hopefully its just a simple thing like tweaking a learning algorithm, adjusting a sensor, etc. There are lots of things at play with this tranny, including a yaw sensor. Any glitch in those values might lead to inaccurate stored data. Im actually fairly hopeful they can find something, especially if they have a working baseline (i.e. reset ECU and it works fine for a bit).....it could just be a matter of comparing data before and after shifting gets wonky.
This thread has proven quite valuable, I still have a non-reflashed 09 and will continue to just live w/ its' quirks until we get (hopefully) a reflash that addresses the real issues of the 7at problems. Hearing that it also mellows some of the 7ATs aggression is another thing keeping me away from the reflash. I just wish I had my 5AT from my 07 w/ the current 3.7 VVEL on my 09, then I'm fairly certain I'd be extremely happy w/ everything but the crummy paint
Old 06-10-2011, 10:21 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I've had my reprogram since October of 2010, and I can't be happier with it.

Every once in a while it seems confused, but for the most part no problems.

It is hands down so much improved over what is was from the factory when I bought it.

I feel you though, if you have continued problems with the tranny after the reprogram.

I still feel that my G has plenty of power, good throttle response (from a stand still, slow rolling, and highway speeds).

I too am very glad this thread exists.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:42 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

It is hands down so much improved over what is was from the factory when I bought it.

I feel you though, if you have continued problems with the tranny after the reprogram.

I still feel that my G has plenty of power, good throttle response (from a stand still, slow rolling, and highway speeds).

i got the reflash and also think it is improved a little. less jerky downshifts and smoother upshifts. it's still a little jerky from 2-1, and there are still some lag from hard brake to quick throttle. overall, some improvement, but not a cure.
Old 06-10-2011, 10:54 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by PeterUbers

In case you have not actually read the thread, it started as an announcement about a TSB and reflash issued in December 2010, a couple of months after your reflash.

Just curious: what is it about this thread that makes you like it more than the gazillion other ones about the same issues? Or are you glad all of them exist?
Old 06-10-2011, 12:42 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Just curious: what is it about this thread that makes you like it more than the gazillion other ones about the same issues? Or are you glad all of them exist?
In some sense, I actually am glad that the other thread exists. If Infiniti staff is reading this forum, then they can tell their boss that in fact the transmission has issues.

I was browsing a 370Z board the other day and found no complaints about the 7AT in the first 10 pages or so. I am confused

I have yet to have my 09 updated with the latest re-flash because it doesn't seem to fix 2 issues that I experience:

1. Flare when it's warm
2. Hesitation when I drive around 60, slow down to 20, then try to accelerate.

I did have the first re-flash though. And that definitely fixed the 4-3 downshift jerkiness.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:00 PM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
In case you have not actually read the thread, it started as an announcement about a TSB and reflash issued in December 2010, a couple of months after your reflash.

I read the thread, from day 1 of it's creation.

I'm glad this problem is getting attention. It's information is getting to more and more owners, and while I can not prove that Infiniti reads these, I know that more and more people are posting that they are discussing these trans. issues with their service advisors.. and that definitely gets to infiniti. I knew this car had its 7AT issues prior to purchase, and I took extensive, multiple test drives to make sure I could live with it. And while the initial tranny program I could not live with (the factory setting), the subsequent re-program made this a new car for me, and I am very happy with it.

Hope that answered your question.

Is this the smoothest transmission I've ever driven, hell no. Do i wish it was better? Heck yeah. I do not regret my decision to purchase car, but will never buy a 7AT from Infiniti again. I'm just very glad it's driveable now and i can get my 80k miles out of it ('till my extended warranty is up) and get a new car without any significant problems.

Last edited by PeterUbers; 06-12-2011 at 01:02 PM. Reason: forgot to add a few lines
Old 06-12-2011, 06:17 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Peter, my point was that your reflash pre-dated the one this thread is about, and that's not an "in your face thing", it's because some folks may not have realized there are multiple flashes out there. I do apologize for suggesting that you had not read the thread, I guess that did have an "in your face" tone. Glad you find the performance acceptable now.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram