Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2011, 11:03 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
cvroom, see my post to Steprudd. Follow that mode - see what happens...
great job researching this. thanks.
Old 05-25-2011, 06:01 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Maxdog & iandii, This was the main thread concerning the Reflash of the ECU/TCM per the TSB issued in January 2011. Read thur this too for further opinions and comments. Even if you go to Edmunds' Forums, you will find complaints about the 7 AT there too.

Actually, it is a Shame that Infiniti elected to go with the configuration and not really correct it to the satisfaction of G and seems the M owners too.
Old 06-03-2011, 11:18 AM
Morrissey

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
what is the tsb number and specs?
Old 06-03-2011, 08:56 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Morrissey
what is the tsb number and specs?
My first thought was "Oh, no you dint". Then I realized Almatti said "issued in January 2011". There was a TSB on the 7AT in January 2011? I'd like the number, too. This whole thread ensued from 10-075, issued in December 2010 (and updated last month with VINs).
Old 06-04-2011, 10:08 AM
Almatti

That's the Same TSB I referred to. I saw it on this Thread - thought it was issued in January 23, 2011...... No Matter the 7AT STILL SUX !!!

I am looking to return - early trade in of my 2010 G37X. I am starting my "shopping" today. Yesterday, I experienced the Worse LAG - Hesitation ever, with a fully warmed up engine, in a hard brake then step on the gas situation to go around some idiot on Route 25 in Nassau Long Island, that I have ever felt. It felt like the engine shut off for almost 2 seconds, then engaged and took off. INFINITI HAS RUINED THIS CAR !!
Old 06-04-2011, 01:36 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Sorry to hear that, Almatti. Just curious about a couple of things. Were you in D or DS? Was the VDC engaged or disengaged?

Oh, and one more: what are you thinking of getting next?
Old 06-04-2011, 01:58 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
After several months of driving, I am getting used into the habit of shifting to DS mode whenever I need to get out of situation. Every time I reset the ECU, the lag is gone for a while...then eventually come back after driving in different traffic conditions.

I don't trust the D mode anymore. I almost got into an accident as I stated in my previous post couple of months ago. Now, whenever I'm in traffic and need to change lane, I train myself to shift into DS mode, then accelerate. After I'm done, I shift back to D mode. It works and I intend to stay this way as I don't feel like reseting the ECU every other week.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:11 PM
Almatti

I was in D Mode, no VDC Off. I have driven in DS modes with and without VDC engaged, still not lovin It...It's just not the ride of the 07 G35X.
Old 06-04-2011, 02:17 PM
Almatti

I hear Ya Fish. But that's not what this car should be. As I mentioned above, even in DS mode I experience Lagging. I had the reflash done, etc..... I am certain that this problem is related to the Torque Converter and the related electronics - way back on this thread, a member described it at length. What surprises me, is that there are not many more posts about this. Yes, there are hundreds, but there should be Thousands.
Old 06-04-2011, 04:06 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

I drive full time in DS, VDC off, unless the roads are wet or other slippery conditions exist. The only time I've experienced lag is when I've pushed the car to the limits of adhesion and then stand on it coming out of a corner, with the VDC engaged. It then behaves like all 3 of my previous VDC equipped Subarus, dumping speed before taking up the throttle.

Almatti, it does sound like your car may be among the few with actual defects. I think that there are indeed thousands of posts about 7AT issues if you dig them up on all the threads in all the forums where they've been discussed. For the most part, they seem to be remarks from people who don't like the way the 7AT works by design, but there are certainly some, like yours, that report what appear to be anomalies from the normal characteristics of the transmission. I suspect that there's so much background noise from folks who just don't like the way the thing works that it's difficult to get dealers to recognize actual problems for the few who have them.

So, what's next for you? Have you started narrowing down your choices?
Old 06-04-2011, 09:38 PM
Morrissey

I am looking to return - early trade in of my 2010 G37X. I am starting my "shopping" today.
what is early trade in? a lease term? I bought my car oct 2010. am I eligible?
Old 06-05-2011, 09:51 AM
theGhost

Folks: I have posted before a pages back, that I entered a formal complaint to Infiniti North America - Consumers Affairs Division. They called me after the email was sent. Called my Dealer : Pepe Infiniti in White Plains, NY. They spoke with the Service Manager with whom I met today to follow up on Infiniti's request. He drove the car, and said that "it is operating as it is designed to do"...he said further that he is aware of the num,erous complaints from thier customers, AND that some people like the performance, but the majority, especially like myself, customers who had previous models with the 5 AT, Hate it!! Hesitation, Lagging, Gear Hunting is a chronic problem and is completely a result of the electronics / ECU / TCM controls. I beleive earlier on this thread, a member Mark fully described the mapping of the affects of the electronics. The Manager further said, thet there is nothing we can do to change or modifiy that since the Tranny is completely computer controlled. Off the record, he "thinks" that Infiniti will come out with a better "fix", but he qualified the statement by saying it was an off the record comment. I told him that there is a daily change in how the car performs. He agreed, saying that all variables: outside temperatures, barometric pressure, whether turning, braking, cruising, etc. etc....all affect how the ECU/TCM operate. he confirmed with me that all of this is to produce better mileage - especially across the entire fleet of cars to meet the MPG requirements of the US gov't Regs.

That's my status report. He did say that I will probably feel it operates better in the warmer weather due to the prementioned variables affecting the electronics.
Guys: I too have had lots of issues with the transmission on my g37. I have also I entered a formal complaint to Infiniti North America - Consumers Affairs Division. After talking with me they sent out a factory rep to meet me at my dealership so that they can add some kind of recording canister that was hooked up to my ecu (which they did). The factory rep said that they had many complaints from consumers but that they were working on a software fix for it and thats why they needed my help to get some readings off my car.

FYI: I did go to my dealer before filing a complaint 3 times for the same issues. I have only had my car less then 2 months and i have asked the Consumers Affairs Division rep that i wanted to be taken out of the car and put into another car and i was declined.

At this point I have contacted a lawyer friend of mine that deals with consumer law and he said that he would look over the paperwork to see if I have a lemon law case.

I will keep you all posted, And if i do have a case and any of you want to make this a class action suit please feel free to let me know. But lets just wait till I meet with the attorney first before sending me e-mails.

I hope to be able to resolve this issue soon, none of us should have to deal with these issues on a NEW car.
Old 06-05-2011, 12:22 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by theGhost
Guys: I too have had lots of issues with the transmission on my g37. I have also I entered a formal complaint to Infiniti North America - Consumers Affairs Division. After talking with me they sent out a factory rep to meet me at my dealership so that they can add some kind of recording canister that was hooked up to my ecu (which they did). The factory rep said that they had many complaints from consumers but that they were working on a software fix for it and thats why they needed my help to get some readings off my car.

FYI: I did go to my dealer before filing a complaint 3 times for the same issues. I have only had my car less then 2 months and i have asked the Consumers Affairs Division rep that i wanted to be taken out of the car and put into another car and i was declined.

At this point I have contacted a lawyer friend of mine that deals with consumer law and he said that he would look over the paperwork to see if I have a lemon law case.

I will keep you all posted, And if i do have a case and any of you want to make this a class action suit please feel free to let me know. But lets just wait till I meet with the attorney first before sending me e-mails.

I hope to be able to resolve this issue soon, none of us should have to deal with these issues on a NEW car.
Thank you for the update!
Old 06-05-2011, 12:50 PM
joselitopr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
to me it feel better,and my biggest notice is in DS mode if i do hard breaking it down shift hard ,but i like it and i am expecting it and i have exhaust and i like the sound. Now if I drive normal no hard breaking at all.
Old 06-05-2011, 04:57 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have experienced the laggy nature of the 7AT. But even with a manual trans, it would takes time to shift from 7th gear to 4th gear. Some times you can't even down shift 2 or 3 gears without crunching the syncros, and the engine will not have enough torque to overcome the high gearing. You can put the 7AT on notice that you intend to drive it like you stole it by manually shifting or put in DS and drive by the throttle. Better yet, trade it for a CTS-V. Of course that leave a lot of empty space in the wallet.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram