Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2011, 07:27 PM
JENG37S

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well it's been a couple of months since I did the TSB. All I can say is that the lag is still there but I've adapted to give it a little throttle and let the tranny catch up then accelerate. Dealer told me that they know about it and that to check back every month.
I guess it's a waiting game now.
Old 03-30-2011, 07:34 PM
bmcdaniels

Talking

The flash worked wonders on my transmission. I have virtually no lag at all. Before, I would try to accelerate quickly, and there was a noticable lag. In fact, dangerous, IMHO. I'm much better now!
Old 03-30-2011, 10:01 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Unhappy Just a Matter of Time Before Someone...

The other day, I had 2 elderly passengers in my G. Driving westbound on LIE to BQE, then to Manhattan. Regular stop and go traffic all the way as usual. On BQE, I was on the middle lane and saw an opening on the right lane. I calculated it was safe to do so. So I stepped on the gas peddle a little. No response. So gave it a little further push. No response. By that time, I'm already about 3/4 the way on the right lane and the car behind on that lane is fast approaching. So I had to give it a further push. Vrooooom!!! The rocket was activated!!! The car thrust forward and the passengers glued to the seats. I immediately know I was in BIG trouble. I was flying toward the car in front and that car was not moving. I hit the brake hard and thought I couldn't stop on time. Thankfully the G's brake was pretty good, it stopped just inches behind the car ahead. That was a close call. However, the stuff in the trunk went into chaos. My son's car seat was no longer on the passenger seat. And worst, the elderly passengers almost had heart attack.

The car was predictable since the last ecu reset over a month ago. I had a good feel driving it. But all the sudden, for this 1 time when I really need it, it chose to surprise me.

Infiniti gotta make this car more predictable or people will get hurt. It is just a matter of time.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:41 AM
Imua1

Originally Posted by 15951
Not to kick an already tenderized horse, but do you put the parking brake on before you put it into park and allow it to settle? If you don't, it will still be difficult to shift out of park.

Yes I do...To all ...just count the number of folks commenting and tracking G37 auto transmission problems on this forum (36 pages and growing). Hope Infiniti is listening. I previously owned a 2004 G35 6MT, loved the car! Traded it in on a 2011 G37S, got the auto vice the 6MT becasue the 7 speed first gear had more pull off the line than the manual. Plus had drive sport and paddle shifters. Did not expect all these trans issues to surface. Again, hope Infiniti is listening to your customers. Aloha, IMUA1
Old 03-31-2011, 12:25 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
The other day, I had 2 elderly passengers in my G. Driving westbound on LIE to BQE, then to Manhattan. Regular stop and go traffic all the way as usual. On BQE, I was on the middle lane and saw an opening on the right lane. I calculated it was safe to do so. So I stepped on the gas peddle a little. No response. So gave it a little further push. No response. By that time, I'm already about 3/4 the way on the right lane and the car behind on that lane is fast approaching. So I had to give it a further push. Vrooooom!!! The rocket was activated!!! The car thrust forward and the passengers glued to the seats. I immediately know I was in BIG trouble. I was flying toward the car in front and that car was not moving. I hit the brake hard and thought I couldn't stop on time. Thankfully the G's brake was pretty good, it stopped just inches behind the car ahead. That was a close call. However, the stuff in the trunk went into chaos. My son's car seat was no longer on the passenger seat. And worst, the elderly passengers almost had heart attack.

The car was predictable since the last ecu reset over a month ago. I had a good feel driving it. But all the sudden, for this 1 time when I really need it, it chose to surprise me.

Infiniti gotta make this car more predictable or people will get hurt. It is just a matter of time.
Originally Posted by Imua1
Yes I do...To all ...just count the number of folks commenting and tracking G37 auto transmission problems on this forum (36 pages and growing). Hope Infiniti is listening. I previously owned a 2004 G35 6MT, loved the car! Traded it in on a 2011 G37S, got the auto vice the 6MT becasue the 7 speed first gear had more pull off the line than the manual. Plus had drive sport and paddle shifters. Did not expect all these trans issues to surface. Again, hope Infiniti is listening to your customers. Aloha, IMUA1
Fish, your Back !! Sorry to hear about your episode of Lagging..... Suddenly the last few days my car has been better. But I've had the same issue, suddenly, the hesitation / lagging will be there.

Many posts here and elswhere on this forum have alluded to the Paddle Shifters. I don't have them, but they can be added relatively easily. Imua1, do they help in avoiding these lagging issues? I get the hesitation in DS mode too, which in fact, is soooo dfifferent then the DS mode of my old 07 G35X. I've driven in Manual mode and experience better control of these lagging issues. But I use that only some occassions, not frequently b/c I drive in too much traffic.

Fish: The BQE, labelled the "worst Highway in America". There has been construction on one or more portions of that road over my entire 60 years on this earth. I think it took First Place in the Worst Road category over the other atrociuos road in the NY Metro area: The Cross Bronx Expressway. Funny how they used the term "Expressway" for these two wonderful roads.... What a misnomer !! Sorry for the digression of this thread topic. Couldn't help myself.

Last edited by Almatti; 03-31-2011 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 12:39 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I think the paddle shifters only help because they are covering up the issue. There is no lag because there is no thinking for the transmission to do.....you are in what gear you are in (the only thinking it seems to do is the automatic downshift if you are too lazy/slow on the downshifting yourself)

The car feels a lot better in manual mode though. I tend to use it when I can, but I find myself not really being in a position to utilize it as much as I want (i.e. short trips, traffic, etc). The car is fast enough that even partially winding up 1st or 2nd gear puts you on someones tail, so you need to upshift anyway or just stay in D/DS because its too much of a hassle to be up and downshifting with everyone in your way.
Old 03-31-2011, 02:02 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by Almatti
Fish: The BQE, labelled the "worst Highway in America". There has been construction on one or more portions of that road over my entire 60 years on this earth. I think it took First Place in the Worst Road category over the other atrociuos road in the NY Metro area: The Cross Bronx Expressway. Funny how they used the term "Expressway" for these two wonderful roads.... What a misnomer !! Sorry for the digression of this thread topic. Couldn't help myself.
Almatti: You forgot to mention the countless number of potholes on BQE. Insane!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:09 AM
Imua1

Fish, your Back !! Sorry to hear about your episode of Lagging..... Suddenly the last few days my car has been better. But I've had the same issue, suddenly, the hesitation / lagging will be there.

Many posts here and elswhere on this forum have alluded to the Paddle Shifters. I don't have them, but they can be added relatively easily. Imua1, do they help in avoiding these lagging issues? I get the hesitation in DS mode too, which in fact, is soooo dfifferent then the DS mode of my old 07 G35X. I've driven in Manual mode and experience better control of these lagging issues. But I use that only some occassions, not frequently b/c I drive in too much traffic.

The paddle shifters only help because they are quicker to use than DS, but it would be better if the trans was just more responsive in auto. It almost needs a sport mode switch, cuz the default design appears to be gas miliage mode. Which is Ok for Chevy Impala but not a sport sedan.
Old 04-01-2011, 06:52 AM
mag37x

Originally Posted by JENG37S
Well it's been a couple of months since I did the TSB. All I can say is that the lag is still there but I've adapted to give it a little throttle and let the tranny catch up then accelerate. Dealer told me that they know about it and that to check back every month.
I guess it's a waiting game now.
I had the reflash done 2500 miles ago. The car still has very noticeable lag. The driving in the 30-40mph range in traffic is awful. Still searches for gears. I am turning 1200rpm's in 5th gear at 30mph...I want to get out and push. hard shifting from 3rd to 4th intermitantly . I have to take back to the shop...I have not noticed any real change from the reflash. Do I have them reflash....again??? Obviously, my car is a slow learner!! I want to throw the keys on the service desk and walk away and never come back!!
Old 04-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
I have about 150 miles on mine since the TSB. IMHO

My first impressions, and with only ~150 miles, that's about all I can offer now, I'd say the D has a bit more DS in it as far as holding gears, however, it is smoother. DS seems very close to what it was, but, automatic downshift while slowing to a stop seems less "aggressive".

I like the 7AT in that I can let it shift in full auto and forget it. Or DS to hold gears, etc. If I don't feel like I want an auto, I can use the paddles or go to manual. IMHO, sweet and better with the TSB.
Old 04-05-2011, 06:27 PM
JDunker

I purchased my G37x in November 2010. Like everyone else here I am having the hesitation issue. I have been to the dealership (Internation Infinity)three times now and the flash / update applied. Car seems OK for a couple hundred miles and then problems start again. Back to the dealership for the fourth time last Friday 4/1. Drove with a tech who confirmed the issue. I am now meeting with "an Infinity rep" on 4/25 who promises me he will make sure the issue is resolved.
In Wisconsin, if a dealership is not able to fix a problem in four tries in the first year of ownership the car is deemed a lemon. Has anyone thought of this route? After having the car in three times for the same problem, my dealer is very attentive....I have already spoken with an attorney who states there is a very good case here.
Old 04-06-2011, 11:09 AM
Almatti

Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
Almatti: You forgot to mention the countless number of potholes on BQE. Insane!

You Got That Right!!! My son who drives a 2010 Subaru Legacy (we just traded a 08 Mazda 3 for it in February), takes the BQE everyday to and from work. Yesterday, he hit a blown out tire [as debris] in the middle lane where he couldn't swerve to avoid it. It smacked up and cracked the front bumper, lucky it didn't bust the fog lights.....he's so pissed off, because he pays for 1/2 the car now too [insurance and loan payments].. Fortunately, he's Ok, no accident. He may have learned a lesson: my son, tends to tailgate a little, I think He may have learned to back off.....But thank you BQE !!!
Old 04-06-2011, 11:22 AM
Almatti

Dealer Update on the 7 AT !!!

Folks: I have posted before a pages back, that I entered a formal complaint to Infiniti North America - Consumers Affairs Division. They called me after the email was sent. Called my Dealer : Pepe Infiniti in White Plains, NY. They spoke with the Service Manager with whom I met today to follow up on Infiniti's request. He drove the car, and said that "it is operating as it is designed to do"...he said further that he is aware of the num,erous complaints from thier customers, AND that some people like the performance, but the majority, especially like myself, customers who had previous models with the 5 AT, Hate it!! Hesitation, Lagging, Gear Hunting is a chronic problem and is completely a result of the electronics / ECU / TCM controls. I beleive earlier on this thread, a member Mark fully described the mapping of the affects of the electronics. The Manager further said, thet there is nothing we can do to change or modifiy that since the Tranny is completely computer controlled. Off the record, he "thinks" that Infiniti will come out with a better "fix", but he qualified the statement by saying it was an off the record comment. I told him that there is a daily change in how the car performs. He agreed, saying that all variables: outside temperatures, barometric pressure, whether turning, braking, cruising, etc. etc....all affect how the ECU/TCM operate. he confirmed with me that all of this is to produce better mileage - especially across the entire fleet of cars to meet the MPG requirements of the US gov't Regs.

That's my status report. He did say that I will probably feel it operates better in the warmer weather due to the prementioned variables affecting the electronics.
Old 04-07-2011, 09:39 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Just had the flash done. No more rough downshifts! I will have to give it more mileage though since I drove it for only 10 miles or so lol
Old 04-07-2011, 10:00 PM
HappyG

He agreed, saying that all variables: outside temperatures, barometric pressure, whether turning, braking, cruising, etc. etc....all affect how the ECU/TCM operate. he confirmed with me that all of this is to produce better mileage - especially across the entire fleet of cars to meet the MPG requirements of the US gov't Regs.
I want predictability (aka safety) over better MPG. Unpredictability can physically hurt people; bad MPG can only hurt my wallet (a little).

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram