Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 09:05 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Just thought I would worthlessly chime in on this 35 page thread that I have not read all of...

I have a 2011 with 4-500 miles and have not experienced a single issue yet with the 7 speed automatic. Actually think it's been great thus far.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:16 AM
Warp37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Here's my $.02

I haven't really noticed any problem with the transmission, per se. In D, I experience the lag at 30-40 mph -- it seems I have to press the accelerator fairly far to get it to downshift. And then it drops two (or three) gears, not one. It's all or nothing. But I don't think it's the trans; it's the throttle response. In DS, the car is more responsive.

As for the car downshifting aggressively when braking in DS, it is supposed to do that. It is in sport mode and the idea is that you'll have your foot back in it again; the car is ready to rock and roll, rather than waiting again for you to get back in the throttle before downshifting. But yeah, I liked the 5-speed better.
Old 03-27-2011, 10:57 AM
movinon

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Just thought I would worthlessly chime in on this 35 page thread that I have not read all of...

I have a 2011 with 4-500 miles and have not experienced a single issue yet with the 7 speed automatic. Actually think it's been great thus far.
+1
I have a 2010 that I've put 9,000 miles on. The transmission has been fine. I do a lot of high speed passes on 2 lane roads, if I had experienced any lag and the dealer couldn't fix it, I'd of gotten rid of the G.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:17 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r

I assume you drive mostly highway and traffic speeds that is NOT around 40mph. Or if you don't drive in traffic congestion conditions, chance is that you won't experience the issues being discussed here.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:29 AM
blnewt
Movin On!

Received 4,943 Likes on 4,176 Posts
Originally Posted by jb606
Lmua, I don't want to sound like an *** but you could be driving a car with a six figure price tag and it would do the same thing. The G has a very short shift lever and any stress on the parking pawl will make it very hard to pull out of park.

Firstinfiniti has the right idea. I don't know about anyone on this board but I don't trust a very small pin to hold my 3800 pound car on any kind of slop.

If you park your car on flat ground and the shifter is hard to pull then take it to the dealership. Otherwise just put your ebrake on before putting the car in park.
Well put, I always e-brake on inclines prior to shifting lever to park. Just too much stress put on those parts. I would trust it to hold the vehicle though as I'm sure if your car just snapped out of park and started rolling there would be millions in lawsuits.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:40 AM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
I assume you drive mostly highway and traffic speeds that is NOT around 40mph. Or if you don't drive in traffic congestion conditions, chance is that you won't experience the issues being discussed here.
No, I live in the suburbs where majority of the roads are 35mph. So I drive 35-45 most of the time. ??? I dunno, I haven't had the car very long so only time will tell. The only thing I noticed, once, was from those speeds I had to push accel. pretty far to get a downshift from rolling, but I think is fairly normal from the "luxury" side of the transmission being in regular "D". If it downshifted real easy everyone would be complaining of that. In DS that issue is not apparent. ..as I see someone must have previously mentioned the heavy downshifting/reving in DS mode - it is intentional rev matching for spirited driving. No issue.

...again I haven't read the whole thread, just browsed, but I think SOME are experiencing legitimate problems (jerking & gear searching) but some others just don't understand each driving mode, or are expecting Cadillac like smoothness from a vehicle built and marketed towards performance and spirited driving. My opinion, take it or leave it. Good luck to those who do have legitimate issues.
Old 03-27-2011, 11:51 AM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Gosh, I just read the first 18 pages and last 2 of this thread, and the things that strike me most are

1)How many posters can't read: Hey guys, I have [some or all of the same symptoms that have been described repeatedly in the thread], has anybody else seen this?

and

2) How many posters can't write: Uh fishgrbled the trsny and it upsit bat 40 dun th duller sey no udate. Whr snibbled far goggen?

Those are sort of paraphrasals, but you no doubt get the idea.

Anyway, on my 2011 G37x sedan, @1800mi, I'm seeing the oft-described "flare", kick-down lag, and hard 2-1 shift (I think), so I'll be asking the dealer to evaluate ITB10-075 against my symptoms at the first service. That will probably be in May. I'll likely open a new thread on results since this one has gotten nearly impossible to wade through.

Interestingly, when I traded my Subaru Legacy GT for this G, the Subie was scheduled for a torque converter replacement for an issue that felt just like the flare description, essentially a flutter of the TC through lock-unlock-lock under light throttle from about 40-50mph. After the dealer tech had been "unable to reproduce" twice, I dug up the TSB for it myself and took him on a ride and was able to reproduce in the first half mile from the dealership. I don't get why dealer service departments are so bad at identifying stuff that will get them paid more money.
Old 03-27-2011, 05:33 PM
Imua1

7 speed auto PARK problems

Originally Posted by jb606
Lmua, I don't want to sound like an *** but you could be driving a car with a six figure price tag and it would do the same thing. The G has a very short shift lever and any stress on the parking pawl will make it very hard to pull out of park.

Firstinfiniti has the right idea. I don't know about anyone on this board but I don't trust a very small pin to hold my 3800 pound car on any kind of slop.

If you park your car on flat ground and the shifter is hard to pull then take it to the dealership. Otherwise just put your ebrake on before putting the car in park.
To all: Did take care to dealership...do use the parking brake, bottom line brute force should not be required to take out of park. Have owned alot of cars, the park issue, plus all the other 7 speed auto issues speak for themselves...poor design.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:04 PM
Warp37

I've had that happen a couple times -- doesn't come right out of park. Perhaps instinctively, I took my foot off the brake and then back on. Came right out. Give it a shot.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:09 PM
Warp37

Originally Posted by Almatti
Red : did it again this morning VDC OFF, comong into turn at 40 mph, hit the brakes, make the turn, step on the gas, and BINGO - a 1 second Lag.. You know what I mean by Lag, right? That pull back - hesitation - and then torque coming out of the turn.. Hate it, can't stand it. My 2010 CRV doesn't do it, My new 2010 Subbi Legacy [just got it on a trade in of our Mazda 3 s ] doesn't do it, the 2010 Ford Fusion at work doesn't do it....the Mazda didn't do it !!!!!
If you haven't already, try this: in DS, come in hot, brake fairly aggressively (before the actual turn, of course), and she should kick down; get back into it at the apex and she should take right off. At least, nowhere near a one-second lag.
Old 03-27-2011, 07:23 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Imua1
To all: Did take care to dealership...do use the parking brake, bottom line brute force should not be required to take out of park. Have owned alot of cars, the park issue, plus all the other 7 speed auto issues speak for themselves...poor design.
Not to kick an already tenderized horse, but do you put the parking brake on before you put it into park and allow it to settle? If you don't, it will still be difficult to shift out of park.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:46 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Just thought I'd give an update after the reprogram. I was able to get 25.6 mpg on a 240 mile trip consisting of 60% highway and 40% suburban roads. I did this same trip and only managed barely 24 mpg before the reprogram. During both trips, the tires were set at 35 psi, used conventional engine oil, shell premium fuel and had four passengers. The car has 2000 miles on it since the reprogram.

During my regular commute I can drive her relatively hard and still manage 21 mpg, when before I could ony get 17-18 mpg.

The car drives smooth and accelerates hard when called upon. Only complaint is the jerky downshifts below 35 mph (especially in stop and go traffic). But thats just the nature of the beast I guess. I mean there are 3-4 shifts before 35, so the trans is doing a lot of work. I still experience the lag, but only when steping on the throttle hard after coasting. If I slowly get on the gas there is less of a lag. Then again I know a lot of you don't want to get on the gas slowly and want to make use of the power under the hood, so step on it. Do it once and you might get a lag, but do it again and the engine and trans will be ready. I've done this many times and its a thrill when engine/trans rev match and choose the right gear. This all can be done in D mode. The DS mode is of course more aggressive. This trans is a compromise of a fast shifting sports car and smooth shifting luxury car while still being fuel efficient. It's trying to do it all, which is hard to do.

About the parking gear...try shifting into P, then use the parking brake before letting go of the brakes. If the car rolls back onto the parking pin then you will get a hard shift. If the parking brake can't hold the car on an incline while in neutral, then you will always get a hard shift when getting out of P.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:10 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Thanks Warp37. I've tried that - its better, but I guess I'm just spopiled with what I had in the 07 G35X. I was finally able to reset the ECU by the Throttle method, took quite a few tries. Drove it agreesively for 100 miles or so. Better results, but it does revert back to its quirkiness / jerkiness in traffic and other scenarios when braking and throttling quickly. Is it me or do you guys sense a difference in different temperatures. The NY Metro area got colder again the past few days, and I sensed some of the quirkiness returning and just a different "feel'. I wish I had my 07 Back !! Even with 10% better mileage.....That's why we have the 7 AT
Old 03-29-2011, 12:54 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Thanks Warp37. I've tried that - its better, but I guess I'm just spopiled with what I had in the 07 G35X. I was finally able to reset the ECU by the Throttle method, took quite a few tries. Drove it agreesively for 100 miles or so. Better results, but it does revert back to its quirkiness / jerkiness in traffic and other scenarios when braking and throttling quickly. Is it me or do you guys sense a difference in different temperatures. The NY Metro area got colder again the past few days, and I sensed some of the quirkiness returning and just a different "feel'. I wish I had my 07 Back !! Even with 10% better mileage.....That's why we have the 7 AT
I sense some difference with temperature change, I think. The tranny was a lot better after the reflash and ecu reset up until last week when we had a couple days of hard rain and cold temps. The car was more quirky than usual. Today, it's sunny and in the high 70s and so far, it's perfect.
Old 03-30-2011, 06:08 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
sniper27, Agreed. I sense the same. I forget who, but one poster wrote quite a disertation and explanation of the operations of the ECU and TCM. Many variables seem to affect it the performance: temps, widing roads, whether DS is on or not, whether VDC is off or not, etc....

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram