Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2011, 05:47 AM
firstinfiniti

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Imua1
Aside from all the 7-speed auto problems, my 2011 G37S sedan is difficult to take out of park, even with the slightest incline. Dealer says its normal, citing parking pawl. Even when using the parking brake, real difficult to take out of park sometimes. Have owned a lot of cars in my life, never had this before. Any body else had this problem?
Try this next time:
1. Pull into the parking spot.
2. Put car in N
3. Put the ebrake on.
4. Let go of the brake
5. Put car in P
Old 03-13-2011, 07:45 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by AKG37
Has anyone had this TSB applied to their vehicle?
https://www.myg37.com/forums/tsb-tec...reprogram.html
This whole thread is about that flash and people that have gotten it (or not) on their car.
Old 03-15-2011, 12:15 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
This whole thread is about that flash and people that have gotten it (or not) on their car.
And the success or lack of success to making the G37 dirve like it should !! But now with the disaster that has struck Japan, these things become so much more less menaingful....
Old 03-15-2011, 12:21 PM
usrsld

Received 12 Likes on 7 Posts
Aside from all the 7-speed auto problems, my 2011 G37S sedan is difficult to take out of park, even with the slightest incline. Dealer says its normal, citing parking pawl. Even when using the parking brake, real difficult to take out of park sometimes. Have owned a lot of cars in my life, never had this before. Any body else had this problem?
I also have this "issue", mostly in the morning when it's cold. And mine is parked in a flat garage.
Old 03-15-2011, 05:27 PM
Almatti

Well, I finally heard back from Infiniti of North America pursuant to my notice complaining about the driveability of my 2010 G37X. They just informed me that I am to make an appointment with and take my test drive with the Service Manager at my Dealership. I will post the results as soon as I can do this. But I'm not expecting much because the regular technician has already informed me that this is the Way The Car Is... The funniset thing I'm still experiencing is that the car will drive differently on some days. Yesterday, it drove like it is designed to !! Seemed more responsive, less jerky, and I didn't feel that Lag on a Stop and then Go situation. Weird....I did Not reset the ECU, I tried but could not get the Throttle Method posted on this thread after 10 or more tries.
Old 03-17-2011, 12:21 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Did you use a stopwatch or second hand? The timing is critical, I could not get it right without one.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:18 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Did you use a stopwatch or second hand? The timing is critical, I could not get it right without one.

I'll try a stopwatch. Didn't realize, although I should have since this is digital precision.
Old 03-17-2011, 06:31 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
so i decided to get the update done. the downshifts are a little smoother. the jerkyness is still there, but not as bad from 2-1 in traffic. upshifts seems a little laggy at first, but after doing the ECU reset, car felt much better. acceleration was quick and smooth, but we'll see how long that lasts.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:21 PM
Imua1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks for the process step...the point really is, should all those steps have to be done on a high end sports coupe. The real answer might be that Infiniti 7-speed auto is plagued with design flaws.
Old 03-20-2011, 07:52 PM
Imua1

Originally Posted by usrsld
I also have this "issue", mostly in the morning when it's cold. And mine is parked in a flat garage.
Thanks, this 7-speed auto apparently is plagued with design flaws. My concern, wife or kid may be driving, at a long stop light and struggle to get it out of park
Old 03-20-2011, 07:53 PM
Imua1

Originally Posted by firstinfiniti
Try this next time:
1. Pull into the parking spot.
2. Put car in N
3. Put the ebrake on.
4. Let go of the brake
5. Put car in P
Thanks for the steps, but should all this really be required on a high end sports sedan? Bottom line as evidenced by the string of transmission complaints, is there are some design problems with the 7 speed auto
Old 03-20-2011, 11:20 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for the steps, but should all this really be required on a high end sports sedan? Bottom line as evidenced by the string of transmission complaints, is there are some design problems with the 7 speed auto
No offense, but you have 4 posts here, and the three in a row you just posted are talking of defective design with the 7AT.

Wife/kid at a stoplight having trouble getting it out of park? Hmm, I dont put mine in park at a stoplight. Thats what the brakes are for. if you were referring to the fact that sometimes its hard to get out of park on an incline, Ive had the same issues with many other vehicles. Part of the reason I dont park at a stop light. It can also be alleviated if you put the car in park and engage the parking brake before you let off the brake pedal. And no, thats not a workaround......if you think about the mechanicals involved, its actually pretty common sense.

I look at a design flaw as something that cannot be fixed. I still believe the "issues" (the real issue being the 1500 RPM lag) can be fixed via a software update. It would be nice to know, though, if the folks at corporate are working on it.
Old 03-26-2011, 05:20 PM
Imua1

No offense but you sound like the Infiniti dealer not wanting to acknowledge a problem. Brute force should not be reqd to take a car out of park. That should be "actually pretty common sense."
Old 03-27-2011, 06:44 AM
maxfinity

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Just take it to the dealer and complain to them about it, Whining about it on the forum won't help the situation. The only time i have a problem getting my car out of park is if I park on a surface thats not level without applying the e- brake before putting the car in park, and even then, it doesn't require much force.
Old 03-27-2011, 08:43 AM
jb606

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Lmua, I don't want to sound like an *** but you could be driving a car with a six figure price tag and it would do the same thing. The G has a very short shift lever and any stress on the parking pawl will make it very hard to pull out of park.

Firstinfiniti has the right idea. I don't know about anyone on this board but I don't trust a very small pin to hold my 3800 pound car on any kind of slop.

If you park your car on flat ground and the shifter is hard to pull then take it to the dealership. Otherwise just put your ebrake on before putting the car in park.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram