Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2011, 01:56 PM
Boomer-Bob
Registered Member

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by burningembers
Guess the real answer for me is to do an after-market paddle shift install since I don't have paddles, and just shift how I want to shift when necessary
Riverside Infiniti has them for ~$250.00 takes about an hour to DIY. Check threads on this site.
Old 03-07-2011, 04:28 PM
bitNine

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've got about 750 miles on my G now, and I have noticed the jerk 2-1 downshift a few times. It's pretty annoying. I'll have them do this when I take it in for its first oil change.
Old 03-07-2011, 10:41 PM
wpmcnamara

So I ordered the gear to interface with the car's CAN bus today. Pretty much the entire car is accessible via the bus, which is brought out on the ODBII port. I got the interface electronics to take the ODBII port and convert it to bluetooth so I can connect it to my laptop.

Now, here is the interesting thing. There is no direct connection between the shifter/paddles and the transmission control unit. It is all via the CAN bus. Theoretically, this means I could put my car in manual mode and run a custom shift program from my laptop. About the only thing it looks like I can't control is the torque converter lockup. It is a lot of programming to do the custom shift program and I don't know if it is worth it or not. My first goal to to capture the TCM parameters to see what the car is thinking when it lags. I still have to work at it to get mine to lag, but I can occasionally.

It's a long term project, but I'll post updates as I have them.
Old 03-07-2011, 11:21 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by wpmcnamara
So I ordered the gear to interface with the car's CAN bus today. Pretty much the entire car is accessible via the bus, which is brought out on the ODBII port. I got the interface electronics to take the ODBII port and convert it to bluetooth so I can connect it to my laptop.

Now, here is the interesting thing. There is no direct connection between the shifter/paddles and the transmission control unit. It is all via the CAN bus. Theoretically, this means I could put my car in manual mode and run a custom shift program from my laptop. About the only thing it looks like I can't control is the torque converter lockup. It is a lot of programming to do the custom shift program and I don't know if it is worth it or not. My first goal to to capture the TCM parameters to see what the car is thinking when it lags. I still have to work at it to get mine to lag, but I can occasionally.

Interesting experiment!

What interface did you go with? I was interested in the auto enginuity because it seem fairly inexpensive for what it can do (once you buy the Infiniti enhanced chip)
Old 03-08-2011, 07:13 AM
wpmcnamara

Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Interesting experiment!

What interface did you go with? I was interested in the auto enginuity because it seem fairly inexpensive for what it can do (once you buy the Infiniti enhanced chip)
The chip is the ELM327 which is a OBD-II to serial bridge that supports all the standard OBD-II protocols, as well as raw CAN. To that I am connecting a serial to bluetooth bridge. It's nothing fancy, but it should get me the access I need.
Old 03-08-2011, 07:57 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
The chip is the ELM327 which is a OBD-II to serial bridge that supports all the standard OBD-II protocols, as well as raw CAN. To that I am connecting a serial to bluetooth bridge. It's nothing fancy, but it should get me the access I need.
Cool....I've looked at those before yo use with an android phone. Maybe ill get one eventually
Old 03-08-2011, 10:24 AM
coolraz

Hey I knw the guys at Uprev have been working on cracking the TCM code. I think they already got some things in beta that were able to change the tcm characteristics. Maybe you could get with them to cooperate on working on this? it would be awesome if the tcm and shftig can be customized just like ECU parameters with the uprev tune.

Last edited by coolraz; 03-08-2011 at 11:16 AM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 AM
carz

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently did the transmission reprogram 2 weeks ago. the shifting is smoother....the shift points have changed.

I dont know if this is due to the system relearning my style of driving....but i noticed it downshifts a lot sooner than it usually does.

for example: driving at 40-50mph on the highway in 7th....hit the brakes a little and it will jump straight to 6th...even though im still above 40mph. if i brake a litle harder, it will jump straight to 4th. it never used to do that
Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 AM
wpmcnamara

Originally Posted by coolraz
Hey I knw the guys at Uprev have been working on cracking the TCM code. I think they already got some things in beta that were able to change the tcm characteristics. Maybe you could get with them to cooperate on working on this? it would be awesome if the tcm and shftig can be customized just like ECU parameters with the uprev tune.
I was planning on staying away from actually changing the TCM code as I don't want to have to limp into the dealer for a reflash. Plus, the wife already looks at me funny as it is -- "You are going to do what to you car?" Should I find anything of interest, I'll certainly let everyone know.

Now, if someone wants to send me a TCM logic board, I'll be more than happy to put it on the bench and start poking at it. The majority of it's inputs come from the CAN bus so simulating the rest of the car is easier to do than having to fake a bunch of analog/digital sensor connections.
Old 03-08-2011, 11:37 AM
coolraz

Now, if someone wants to send me a TCM logic board, I'll be more than happy to put it on the bench and start poking at it. The majority of it's inputs come from the CAN bus so simulating the rest of the car is easier to do than having to fake a bunch of analog/digital sensor connections.
With the rate of accidents that us G owners seem to have (at least according to the posts on this board) : ) , I'm sure someone who totals their G will be more than willing to send you the TCM.
Old 03-08-2011, 10:07 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by carz
I recently did the transmission reprogram 2 weeks ago. the shifting is smoother....the shift points have changed.

I dont know if this is due to the system relearning my style of driving....but i noticed it downshifts a lot sooner than it usually does.

for example: driving at 40-50mph on the highway in 7th....hit the brakes a little and it will jump straight to 6th...even though im still above 40mph. if i brake a litle harder, it will jump straight to 4th. it never used to do that
carz: If you are driving in D mode - how do you know what gear you are in? That would only be possible in Manual Mode ?? I can NOT say the same after the reflash. I still get some awkward shifting and plenty of hesitation when I step on the brakes and then hit the gas - no matter if D or DS mode. The throttle feels "buttery" not quick on the response at travelling speeds...I'm still waiting to hear from Infiniti of North America on my protest claim I posted last week. They called and left a message. I am ready to turn this car in and swap for an 08 M35X, a CPO with low mileage would be fine and a bit larger of a car - no 7 AT for me, not until they get this working aas it should in a personal Sports Sedan. Shame on You Infiniti for ruining this car.
Old 03-09-2011, 10:42 AM
carz

Originally Posted by Almatti
carz: If you are driving in D mode - how do you know what gear you are in? That would only be possible in Manual Mode ?? I can NOT say the same after the reflash. I still get some awkward shifting and plenty of hesitation when I step on the brakes and then hit the gas - no matter if D or DS mode. The throttle feels "buttery" not quick on the response at travelling speeds...I'm still waiting to hear from Infiniti of North America on my protest claim I posted last week. They called and left a message. I am ready to turn this car in and swap for an 08 M35X, a CPO with low mileage would be fine and a bit larger of a car - no 7 AT for me, not until they get this working aas it should in a personal Sports Sedan. Shame on You Infiniti for ruining this car.
sorry, i forgot to state i was driving in manual mode.
Old 03-09-2011, 02:58 PM
Marc Collins

I agree. The learning factor in this thread recently has been very high and very interesting. I hadn't bothered learning how a torque converter actually worked until moonsky's last post. Quite enlightening.

As far as the learning transmission goes I will answer the second part first. It is changing how it reacts to a given set of inputs and/or changes to inputs. This behavior would be the shift point RPMs, how many gears to upshift, when to lock unlock the torque converter and when to actually shift. I don't know that it actually modifies all those items, but those are the possibilities.

As far as what it monitors to learn from, it almost certainly monitors engine rpm, brake pedal pressure, throttle position, and throttle position change rate. It could also monitor lateral G forces, steering positions, wheel spin, O2 levels, temperature, even cabin occupancy. Some of these are obviously used for dynamic stability control, but I would be surprised if any of the latter set were actually used for transmission learning.

The transmission is trying to learn how to guess what you are going to need it to do without the benefit of being able read your mind or see through your eyes. For example. You just hit the brakes hard. Is that because an idiot just cut you off, or because you entered a tight turn on a curvy road? In the former, chances are, the car doesn't really have to do much quickly. After giving the guy the finger, you will probably gently press on the gas to accelerate where it will smoothly upshift and off you go. In the latter case, it needs to downshift, rev match, and me ready for you to stand on the gas to accelerate quickly out of the turn. How does it know what you need? It looks at your past history. If your past history shows lots of commuter traffic with stop and go and a few hard braking situations then you probably want it wait and smoothly shift. If your prior driving shows lots of hard braking followed by quick acceleration and lots of time spent in the max power band of the motor, then you are probably at the track or otherwise aggressively driving and it needs to aggressively shift. That is an extremely simplified explanation but it should give you a good picture of what it is trying to do.

It should also point out the problem. Most of us drive our cars as regular commuter cars in addition to whatever else we do with them. So the car learns our commute traffic and driving. Then suddenly, we get the opportunity to really drive the car. But the car is still guessing based on our daily commute. It can't see that the sun is out, it's 75 degrees and you have 30 miles of tightly curving road through mountain foothills and not another car to be seen, so you come into a turn, stand on the brakes, and it guess wrong and lags on the shift because it wasn't expecting you to hit the gas hard as your next action.

As I said, the above is a very simply example/explanation. I can tell you that the software to get the learning correct, or even close to correct is not simple and will always fall prey to drastic changing in driving behavior. The computer simply can't know enough to guess right. This is why some people state that in certain cases the car seems to be able to read their mind while in others it seems to have lost its.

This is a side effect of trying to make the car good at everything, which is another way to make it excellent at nothing.
Excellent description and explanation!
Old 03-13-2011, 03:19 AM
Imua1

Aside from all the 7-speed auto problems, my 2011 G37S sedan is difficult to take out of park, even with the slightest incline. Dealer says its normal, citing parking pawl. Even when using the parking brake, real difficult to take out of park sometimes. Have owned a lot of cars in my life, never had this before. Any body else had this problem?
Old 03-13-2011, 04:19 AM
AKG37
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Has anyone had this TSB applied to their vehicle?
https://www.myg37.com/forums/tsb-tec...reprogram.html

Edit: should have read the entire thread before posting

Last edited by AKG37; 03-13-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram