Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2011, 03:24 AM
hscac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
If the 2010 service manual is like the 2008's the shift points are documented in the service manual. You can pick up the serivce manual here for $8.

mcstore - Filesharing

<script src="http://www.tradebit.com/layouts/javashop.php?if=y&bgc=FFFFFF&fc=0000AA&lc=000066&f x=440&fy=200&prodid=93885970&hh=1"></script><noscript>Buy this file:2255299</noscript>
it cant be the same tho right? 08 is still 5speed AT, and 2010 is 7speed ...
Old 02-19-2011, 10:07 AM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by hscac
it cant be the same tho right? 08 is still 5speed AT, and 2010 is 7speed ...
I'm referring to the contents of the 2010 service manuals covering the same topics as the 2008's did, which strangely enough is free, not the same content. It's a worthwile investment for the owner since it's about the only place you'll find more info on the workings of the car in more detail then the owners manual and it's also good to give you and idea of some basic things you can check should a problem arise or become aware of other symptoms to relay when communicating a problem to a service person. Also note there's different manuals for coupe, sedan or vert.

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 02-19-2011 at 10:13 AM.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:14 PM
Almatti

I posted on another thread about my Bring Back to continue to complain about this 7 AT post-reflash. I am seeking the cure to the Lagging. It's not here yet. Spoke directly to the Tech not the service advisor, he said: They know all about it, they know about the TSB 10-075 which was applied to my car - the VIN did qualify - but that "it is what it is"... He confirmed it's the TC and its design with 7 speeds. This was done for Mileage gains - which btw, I have seen compared to my 07.
The lagging / hesitation is so disappointing and ruins this car's driveability. I will confirm my earlier posts and some other very recent ones from folks that just had the Reflash, driving an 09 G37X loaner with reflashing the ECU/TCM, the DS mode was more aggressive and a little less hesitant, still there but less so than my 2010. Driving home last night, local road, brake to make a turn, just slightly, step on the gas and BINGO : hesitation/Lag - can't stand it...

Oh yeah, the Tech also mentioned that the TC takes you into 5th gear at a ridiculous low speed - I thinh he said at 20-25 mph. I feel that TC lockup driving on local roads 30-35 mph RPMs are at 1500, and you can feel thet TC Lockup feeling like the first Auto trannies with OD of yesteryear!! Makes the car lose its Sportiness.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:35 PM
RedG37SNC

Originally Posted by Almatti
Driving home last night, local road, brake to make a turn, just slightly, step on the gas and BINGO : hesitation/Lag - can't stand it...
Try repeating that with VDC off. It's possible VDC introduces this lag in a turn to help maintain traction.
Old 02-19-2011, 05:16 PM
burningembers

Try repeating that with VDC off. It's possible VDC introduces this lag in a turn to help maintain traction.
This lag on turns happens to me too (sometimes). I was debating if it was the VDC but I haven't been able to nail down a significant difference with it on or off.

The only argument against it being VDC I can think of is that the user manual says that a VDC light will light up on the dash when it is kicking in, and this isn't happening when it happens.

Does it always light up?
Old 02-20-2011, 12:20 PM
CodeG

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
My 09 have the 2nd - 1st gear down shift abruptness, some lagging when I was light on throttle and needed to down shift for passing. I noticed that these behavior goes away if I drive more aggressively, comes back if I cruised for long period of time. So I "teach" the trans by stepping on the throttle real fast, just partial not flooring it. Do this a couple of times, this seems to make the car more ready to down shift. Not the double down shift but enough for the car to accelerate and enough load on the engine to make the car sounds like the old 330i. That is my experience.
Old 02-21-2011, 11:35 PM
wpmcnamara

This is my first post, but after reading this entire thread and getting very worried, I wanted to relate my experiences with the 7AT. I just purchased a 2011 G37S, less than a week ago. I checked and it has a manufacture date of 12/2010. To give a bit of background, I am coming from a 2002 BMW 330i with the five speed steptronic.

When I started reading this thread, I was very worried. Then I realized that I don't have any of the problem you guys are describing. My normal commute is about 45 minutes, with the majority of it being either surface streets or heavy traffic. It starts with about 5 miles of 20mph construction. In normal D, there is no jerkiness or abnormal hesitation. Certainly no shaking or shuddering unless you want to count the mess of the roads from construction.

I have not had the opportunity to intentionally replicate the light breaking followed by spirited acceleration that seems to give so many troubles, but I certainly have not noticed the resulting lag that people describe.

The only time I get any lag is if I punch it from about 40-50mph on the freeway to merge with much faster traffic, or to get around someone quick. I would estimate the lag to be less than a second at worst, probably a half second most of the time. This only occurs when I floor it hard enough to cause it to drop two gears. The torque converter could probably unlock a bit faster but the 7AT's behavior is certainly as good as, or better than the transmission in my 330i. The bonus in the G is that the paddles are active in D as well. In the 330i, I could kick it into sport and manually shift if it was planned, but if not, I was just out of luck. If I moderately accelerate as in normal passing, I get a nice, light shove back in the seat as it almost instantaneously drops a gear and smoothly launches forward.

As far as engine braking goes, the 330i was a little more aggressive and rougher in downshifts under braking. I attribute smoothness to the rev matching on the G/7AT combo, though I agree the engine braking could be a bit more pronounced. I haven't had the opportunity to do hard braking in DS mode yet, but under moderate braking I can definitely feel the shift points and the extra braking force. It is pretty well non-existant in normal D.

Unfortunately I am still early in the break in period (~300 miles) so I try not to be to hard on it unless required by conditions so I can't really so how DS differs from D under spirited driving. I can say that on the way home, at 60mph in DS, the car would not go into 7th gear. It hummed happily along in 6th and would smoothly drop to 5th if I went to overtake someone. In D, it sat happily in 7th, dropping to 6th in I pushed on the accelerator a bit and 5th if I went further.

I have experienced the car holding the gear after hard acceleration followed by letting up on the gas, but not hitting the brake. The first time was during the test drive, getting on the freeway. I floored in an had to let off the gas at about 7k rpm because of traffic in front of me. It stayed in gear and started to engine brake as I had completely let off the gas. When I hit it again, it whipped my head back and shifted around 7.5k.

My gas pedal does not seem to be touchy at all. Quite linear and smooth. Of course my 330i would jerk your head if you weren't light on the gas at take off so I may be coming from a different reference point than some.

All in all I have been quite pleased. I am still adjusting to the different feel of the car compared to my old BMW, but I am certainly not feeling the buyers remorse that many seem to be experiencing.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:14 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
i was quite pleased my first few hundred miles also.
Old 02-22-2011, 06:45 AM
TONY37X

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I have my dealership appointment setup for Friday 2/25 for the Infiniti ECU reflash/update.

*So far my experiences have been that driving with stock tuning there are definite dead spots in acceleration and at low speeds strange gear searching and abruptness in downshifts and acceleration when you step on the gas. These flaws are more so noticed in "D" mode than "DS".

*I also have had the experience of driving the car with Hypertech Power Tuning, which has helped throttle response in most situations as well as removing the stock 0-60 restriction which makes the car much more fun to drive when you really get on it.

* So now let's see what the Factory ECU reflash and/or Hypertech's patch to this update brings me.... I will post my follow-up experiences ASAP guys.
Old 02-22-2011, 10:49 AM
Almatti

Red : did it again this morning VDC OFF, comong into turn at 40 mph, hit the brakes, make the turn, step on the gas, and BINGO - a 1 second Lag.. You know what I mean by Lag, right? That pull back - hesitation - and then torque coming out of the turn.. Hate it, can't stand it. My 2010 CRV doesn't do it, My new 2010 Subbi Legacy [just got it on a trade in of our Mazda 3 s ] doesn't do it, the 2010 Ford Fusion at work doesn't do it....the Mazda didn't do it !!!!!
Old 02-22-2011, 03:31 PM
wpmcnamara

In reading through all the posts, it seems like a very large number of folks with issues seem to have the AWD G. I'd be curious to know if anyone with the RWD version in a late 2010, or especially 2011 with the TSB applied is still having significant issues.

--wpm
Old 02-23-2011, 04:05 AM
hscac

Red : did it again this morning VDC OFF, comong into turn at 40 mph, hit the brakes, make the turn, step on the gas, and BINGO - a 1 second Lag.. You know what I mean by Lag, right? That pull back - hesitation - and then torque coming out of the turn.. Hate it, can't stand it. My 2010 CRV doesn't do it, My new 2010 Subbi Legacy [just got it on a trade in of our Mazda 3 s ] doesn't do it, the 2010 Ford Fusion at work doesn't do it....the Mazda didn't do it !!!!!
Yes i fully understand what you meant. This happens to me before AND after the reflash and reset. It seems like it does not have enough low-end tourque during the middle of the turn, especially right after applying the brake.

Yes, my 10yr-old accord never does that, so does my bmw 325xi. Although so far it doesnt give me any dangerous situation, but its a issue that needs to be addressed soon before an accident happens.
Old 02-23-2011, 09:42 AM
Almatti

To All on this Thread: yesterday I sent an email to Infiniti North America to the attention of the president of that group about this situation. They responded via an email from Customer Service Rep wanting to know more and with which Dealer I have been working with. I supplied same and see what kind of responses I get. I suggest that all of you do the same. This freakin 7 AT is problematic in it's design and should be addressed by Infiniti - 09 10 and it appears its 11 models are all affected. I don't want to come off "crying' and bitching, but when compared to what I had (07 G35X ) which was highly responsive, personal sports sedan to the 2010 G37X, I am pissed. The balance of the car is great: ride , handling, (the steering did change too, some like it, some don't), but the "buttery" feeling of the response & the lagging as has been so much described here, and that I didn't feel in the test drive in June, leaves me very disappointed!!
Old 02-23-2011, 10:06 AM
ANMVQ
Registered Member

Received 394 Likes on 343 Posts
I posted on another thread about my Bring Back to continue to complain about this 7 AT post-reflash. I am seeking the cure to the Lagging. It's not here yet. Spoke directly to the Tech not the service advisor, he said: They know all about it, they know about the TSB 10-075 which was applied to my car - the VIN did qualify - but that "it is what it is"... He confirmed it's the TC and its design with 7 speeds. This was done for Mileage gains - which btw, I have seen compared to my 07.
The lagging / hesitation is so disappointing and ruins this car's driveability. I will confirm my earlier posts and some other very recent ones from folks that just had the Reflash, driving an 09 G37X loaner with reflashing the ECU/TCM, the DS mode was more aggressive and a little less hesitant, still there but less so than my 2010. Driving home last night, local road, brake to make a turn, just slightly, step on the gas and BINGO : hesitation/Lag - can't stand it...

Oh yeah, the Tech also mentioned that the TC takes you into 5th gear at a ridiculous low speed - I thinh he said at 20-25 mph. I feel that TC lockup driving on local roads 30-35 mph RPMs are at 1500, and you can feel thet TC Lockup feeling like the first Auto trannies with OD of yesteryear!! Makes the car lose its Sportiness.
The techs quote is not true I drive with TC OFF all the time.. An I'm in 5th at 35 MPH rediculous!!!!!!. I searching for the pedal ECU reset and trying that first cause the car jerking back and forth with REVS going upi and down at 30-40 MPH is killing me, Makes me feel like a milk shake.. HAAH
Old 02-23-2011, 10:33 AM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
The techs quote is not true I drive with TC OFF all the time.. An I'm in 5th at 35 MPH rediculous!!!!!!. I searching for the pedal ECU reset and trying that first cause the car jerking back and forth with REVS going upi and down at 30-40 MPH is killing me, Makes me feel like a milk shake.. HAAH
I think he meant TC to mean torque converter, not traction control. After the reprogram the jerking has been reduced.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram