Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-2011, 10:59 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Folks: Just dropped my 2010 G37X off to Re-examine my issues post-reflash. Spoke directly to the Technician, a really nice guy who was patient and explained the issues in layman terms. They are going to look at my car again , BUT, the reflash was done and the ECU was Reset, the Lagging / hesistation is a a chronic issue with the 7 AT. I told him that just this week I was able to Punch the Throttle to WOT territory and she hit up to 7500 RPMs which did Not occur previously. After that acceleration on the highway, the car behaved "better". He is going to look into that. An aside: I have a 2009 G37X loaner, it has some Lagging but not as bad, and the DS mode is much better - much more like how my 07 G35X was - than my car. It stayed in 4th or 5th gear much longer contributing to a more sporty performance with some less hesitation. I just called the Srvice advisor about this.

The Tech did tell me that the 7 AT "is what it is" and the TSB is a "minor" fix. But to drive it hard, the ECU / TCM seems to be on a continual learning Curve....it will adapt over and over according to him.

I'll post results of this Bring Back...Oh Yeah, I know there are othere threads about the Shi* paint job, the so-called "forgiving"- recovering Clear coat paint.... BS , I have scratches all over. Thin fine line scratches. That's another topic.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:10 AM
burningembers

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
That's a total BS on their part.
I agree. However, since Sunday I've been driving this car like I stole it - and it seems to have minimized the bulk of the issues I was having last week.

There's still the periodic incorrect downshift. I like the engine braking while coasting. I'll give RPMs at WOT a test after work...

I'm beginning to think I just don't need the reflash, which is fine by me.
Old 02-17-2011, 12:52 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Was driving the car during lunch today and had to pass a truck going downhill at 65 mph. As I passed the truck and lifted off the accelerater (cops love staying at the bottom of the hill so I had to slow down), the trans didn't down shift immediately like it did before the reprogram. While still going downhill it let the car coast until I slowed down using the brake and then it downshifted into 4th or 5th gear and hovered around 4k rpm allowing me access to the full power band. It was great!! No more fumbling through the gears like it used to...it just senses what gear to be in. Once it sensed that I didn't need the power it changed to a higher gear. And this was all in D mode.
Old 02-17-2011, 03:24 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Almatti
Marc: How did you Resolve It... if you didn't get the Reflash Done? I still get engine braking in D mode under certain driving circumstances and definetley more engine braking in DS mode as it is designed to do both before and after the Reflash of the ECU/TCM.
My understanding from reading this thread is that the engine braking present in the older revisions (which is definitley a lot more than a typical auto tranny in a typical car) has been eliminated or significantly reduced in both D and DS.

Are you saying there is MORE engine braking in DS than before? What are the certain driving circumsatnces that give the same or more engine braking in D compared to the older revision?

Simply driving my car in Snow Mode for a few minutes (linear throttle) gets rid of most of the problems. All the new revision contains is a throttle mapping closer to the linear Snow Mode (laughably described as "reduced throttle sensitivity" when it is the normal mode that has exaggerated throttle sensitivity). I have no issues as long as I apply throttle smoothly and don't drive in a jerky manner.

Of course I would be delighted to have a more linear throttle so I didn't have to be so conscientious, but not if it involves giving up the engine braking that, for me, is one of the better aspects of the transmission programming. I love not having to jump on the brakes constantly in heavier traffic. I rented a Hyundai with a "luxury-style" tranny programming that was incredibly smooth. So smooth that you had to wait 15 seconds after taking your foot off the throttle to detect the slightest descrease in speed--even at highway speeds! Very smooth, but a huge waste of brakes, use of brake lights distracting other drivers when you aren't really slowing to a stop and additional foot pedal use for no apparent purpose. And, it would always be in top/too low a gear for any purpose other than coasting along. If I wanted a 1980's Cadillac, I wouldn't be driving a G37XS.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:50 PM
firstinfiniti

The Tech did tell me that the 7 AT "is what it is" and the TSB is a "minor" fix.

Thats grounds for lemon, if you take it in enough times for the same issue.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:28 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I've been following this thread and was on the fence because of some of the pros/cons reported. But decided to reflash the tranny today along with ecm. Driving experience is subjective so I am not going to say its good or bad. However, here is what I experience driving 20miles home.

- The lag is definately lot less.
- D mode, engine braking is minimal.
- DS mode, little more engine braking compare to D mode.
- acceleration not so agressive but linear. One poster call it more "timid".

Those been driving their G for awhile and adapted to the way the car drives might see some of the bullet points as cons. Those who just got their G see this as more pros.

As for me, I was indecisive about getting the hypertech. I'll leave it at that. But please note, one poster from the hypertech thread notice lower mpg with hypertech reprogramming. They didnt say how much but if you have to ask, you dont need it.

I tried to be unbias and informative and let those on the fence make their own decision given what I said. Thanks for reading.
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM
Almatti

Originally Posted by sneakers
I've been following this thread and was on the fence because of some of the pros/cons reported. But decided to reflash the tranny today along with ecm. Driving experience is subjective so I am not going to say its good or bad. However, here is what I experience driving 20miles home.

- The lag is definately lot less.
- D mode, engine braking is minimal.
- DS mode, little more engine braking compare to D mode.
- acceleration not so agressive but linear. One poster call it more "timid".

Those been driving their G for awhile and adapted to the way the car drives might see some of the bullet points as cons. Those who just got their G see this as more pros.

As for me, I was indecisive about getting the hypertech. I'll leave it at that. But please note, one poster from the hypertech thread notice lower mpg with hypertech reprogramming. They didnt say how much but if you have to ask, you dont need it.

I tried to be unbias and informative and let those on the fence make their own decision given what I said. Thanks for reading.
Sneakers: Ditto on your report Post-Reflash, except the lagging. Don't think it's less but its subjective as you say. I just picked mine up at dealer for a Bring Back, complaining about the lagging. See my earlier post of today. All of a sudden: the car is driving better NOT as good as the 5 AT, but better. I posted that I opened 'er up WOT throttle the other day and now it is a bit more responsive. The tech again said today, Drive it hard, it does adapt on a continual basis. My God what heck are we driving today : ar with AI like the Jeopardy IBM "contestant".....
Old 02-17-2011, 08:36 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
Does that mean if I bring it in and request the dealer to perform ITB10-075, they are required to do it?
Apparently not. I had mine in today, and complained of a jerky transmission and a lot of engine braking. Told the Service Advisor there was a new flash out, 10-075.

He called me at lunch and I inquired again. I again mentioned the ITB number and he told me they were going to put on 09-032B (which is the one from last year the "harsh 4 to 3 downshift". I told him no, that's the old one, he said they had found a new one that came out and that they overlay the numbers, new on old, and that even though it has the old number it's really the new update. I thought "that's strange" but ok...

So I pick up the car and I see now he put on the work order "Customer notes that trans seems to be jerky and engine down shifts seem harsh". That's NOT what I told him. The response is "found TCM logic failure reprogrammed TCM per ITB09032B".

That doesn't sound like I got the new one, they just re-applied the old one. What's odd is that it DID seem to drive differently! What's also odd is that DS mode seems to be exactly like D mode now in upshifts under moderate throttle, except that it does downshift at higher points. It's not as agressive as it was before. The engine braking seems to be the same, no noticable difference there.

I don't know what I've got... is there any way to confirm?
Old 02-17-2011, 08:40 PM
Amir

I like the engine breaking feature. Very fast up and down shifting in DS. My only complaint would be the delay when using the paddles. Would like it to change as fast as it does in DS mode.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:04 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Apparently not. I had mine in today, and complained of a jerky transmission and a lot of engine braking. Told the Service Advisor there was a new flash out, 10-075.

He called me at lunch and I inquired again. I again mentioned the ITB number and he told me they were going to put on 09-032B (which is the one from last year the "harsh 4 to 3 downshift". I told him no, that's the old one, he said they had found a new one that came out and that they overlay the numbers, new on old, and that even though it has the old number it's really the new update. I thought "that's strange" but ok...

So I pick up the car and I see now he put on the work order "Customer notes that trans seems to be jerky and engine down shifts seem harsh". That's NOT what I told him. The response is "found TCM logic failure reprogrammed TCM per ITB09032B".

That doesn't sound like I got the new one, they just re-applied the old one. What's odd is that it DID seem to drive differently! What's also odd is that DS mode seems to be exactly like D mode now in upshifts under moderate throttle, except that it does downshift at higher points. It's not as agressive as it was before. The engine braking seems to be the same, no noticable difference there.

I don't know what I've got... is there any way to confirm?
My invoice showed "ITB10-075". If you see only "ITB09032B" on your invoice, chance is that you don't have the latest revision. I would recommend you drive your car for say 1000 miles and see what happens. If you are still not happy with it, talk to your dealer again about ITB10-075. If they still don't want to deal with it, try another dealer. GL!
Old 02-17-2011, 11:35 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
Sneakers: Ditto on your report Post-Reflash, except the lagging. Don't think it's less but its subjective as you say. I just picked mine up at dealer for a Bring Back, complaining about the lagging. See my earlier post of today. All of a sudden: the car is driving better NOT as good as the 5 AT, but better. I posted that I opened 'er up WOT throttle the other day and now it is a bit more responsive. The tech again said today, Drive it hard, it does adapt on a continual basis. My God what heck are we driving today : ar with AI like the Jeopardy IBM "contestant".....
Glad its working out for you.

Its all relative and based on pass driving history. I guess thats why some like the reflash and some dont.

Thanks for the pointer. I wll drive like I need to go to the bathroom.

I agree, the newer generation G is not what it should be. My only experience with Infiniti was test driving a demo and that was sweet. I was about to replace my 1998 maxima with a 2009 maxima. I test drove the G and maxima on the same day. I felt the maxima padal shifting and acceleration was just a tad behind the G...but did enjoy the When I got my 2009Xs, it was nothing like what I demo. But I love my G none the less, just wish it just go!!

There are other threads about our G needing more torque at the lower end of the RPM to get the driving experience some of us are looking for. Is the hypertech the answer and/or other mods? That my friends gonna cost us about $350 to see if thats for you. Why should we pay extra when it should be like the way we want. I didnt lease and want to maximize my driving experience for the duration.

If I do get one, I will report back. With all the research I've been doing on this forum, I think I caught the mod bug Got my eyes on a drop, hotchik sway bar and MAYBE force induction. Knowledge is expensive on the wallet.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:01 PM
cao_123

I had the reprogram applied yesterday. Engine breaking while coasting to a stop is reduced. I don't feel any transmission downshifts while coming to a stop. Throttle response and sensitivity feel unchanged. It's only been a day but I haven't noticed any flare on the upshifts. DS mode seems quite a bit less aggressive. It only seems slightly more aggressive than D mode.

I'm happy with the update so far. The engine breaking felt strange to me and DS mode felt too ragged before the update. I rarely drive aggressively so I find the improved smoothness during normal driving more important.
Old 02-18-2011, 07:45 PM
Merc88

Just did the 45k service. Had the flash done on a 2009 with 46, 500 miles. The transmission was much smoother in shifting and downshifts were less harsh and natural feeling. Transmission fluid was black! They replaced the door handle cover (plastic aluminum look) for scratching, replaced the passenger side seat heater switch assemble due to it feeling like it was full of gummy bears... ( no kids), door window motor on drivers side... all on warranty.

I can recommend the transmission re-program.

Got a G37 on loan...great service!

Merc88
Old 02-18-2011, 08:43 PM
hscac

Just got the car back from dealer today for reprogram Tranny and ECM (ECU?)...
Technically I do not fell too much differences on the sensitivity on the throttle or brake. However, the engine brake during 60km curising without applying gas feels less now (not too much but at least a bit).

I got a G25x loaner, the 7AT was GREAT (same tranny but I assume different program?). That's what I want on my G37. Very smooth, and during normal drive in city it seems like driving a very smooth civic or accord or camry or my bmw 3series, not much engine braking, upshift as quickly as possible as I gain speed on a city road (legal speed of 50 -60km/h). Also, the upshift point is a bit earlier than the G37...

G37: (approx)earliest shifting point.
1st 0- 8km
2nd 8 - 18kmh
3rd 18 - 40kmh
4th 40 - 53kmh
5th 53 - 60km/h
6th 60km/h - 68
7th 68+

G25 (approx.) earliest shifting point.
1st 0 - 6kmh
2nd 6 - 15
3rd 15 - 25kmh
4th 25 - 40kmh
5th 40 - 57kmh
6th 57 kmh+...
7th ...

The G25 is less power I understand, but for normal city driving most people don't rev ur g37/g25 over 3000rpm, and in fact most people stay at the 2000rpm range. The setting for g25 has better livablity when driving like a normal person, and you can always move to DS mode or manual when you need better engine brakeing or high rpm.

I guess I cannot complain because I am driving a g37... too bad...

Last edited by hscac; 02-18-2011 at 08:57 PM.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:30 PM
RedG37SNC

If the 2010 service manual is like the 2008's the shift points are documented in the service manual. You can pick up the serivce manual here for $8.

mcstore - Filesharing

<script src="http://www.tradebit.com/layouts/javashop.php?if=y&bgc=FFFFFF&fc=0000AA&lc=000066&f x=440&fy=200&prodid=93885970&hh=1"></script><noscript>Buy this file:<a href="http://www.tradebit.com/filedetail.php/93885970-Documents-eBooks-Recipes-Manuals">2255299</a></noscript>

Last edited by RedG37SNC; 02-18-2011 at 09:43 PM.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram