Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2011, 04:41 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by IMTASE
Infiniti has finally released a reprogram for the G37 7-speed transmission. The bulletin has been designated as ITB10-075 and covers 2009-2011 G37 and the 2011 G25.
I'm getting the flash done this Thursday, wish me luck..
Old 02-16-2011, 10:09 AM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
I sometimes feel the car could read my mind too.
Originally Posted by MaluG37
My personal experience is that the feeling of a transmission lag has been reduced with the reprogram. There is still a delay in acceleration, but nothing worse than before. What I notice is that the trans selects a gear faster than it did before.

I experienced something different with the transmission yesterday. I was driving home from work in DS mode and approaching a highway on ramp and accelerated hard into the turn. The trans seemed to realize I wanted to drive aggressive based on my previous throttle inputs and held what seemed to be 4th gear through the corner. I tried letting off the throttle to force it to shift and it still held the same gear at around 4000rpm. Then I punched it and there was instant power no lag and it continued to rev until it changed gears. I was impressed because it never did that before and it felt like how I used to shift in my previous manual car.

I haven't felt the need to shift manually since the cars been shifting much better than before, but I will try.
Malu, maybe you telepathically sent a message to my car, but yetsreday driving home in D and DS mode, I had an opportunity to Floor It and she reacted better in DS mode, hit 7500 RPMs and then behaved like it should in DS mode for the balance of the ride home !! I don't know if its due to the fact that I floored the throttle - which I have NOT done too much of b/c of the weather conditions - and something changed in the ECU behavior b/c of the WOT in DS mode, but this morning same thing - more response - higher RPMs when hitting it ! as it is truly designed to do.... Puzzling. I'mm still bring 'er in to dealer for the follow up complaints that I posted here and mentioned to the dealer after reflashing. Don't get me wrong: there is still some hesitation , BUT it was little better and the car seemed to stay in a lower gear in DS mode without that much Torque Converter lockup...That's what contributes to the "gear hunting" lag, the poor performance of the TC, IMHO.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:12 AM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Almatti: That's good to hear!! I have found that driving her more aggressively has led to better shifts and more responsive acceleration and deceleration. Also found that adding in some aggressive highway miles also helps. The problem is how do you drive aggressive and stay within the legal limit...especially for those that live in the city.
Old 02-16-2011, 11:36 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
can anyone confirm if the 2011 comes with the reflash? I ask since the TSB applies to 2010 (2009?) and the 2011 G rental I had felt a lot better. Maybe it was driven like it was stolen, but the car only had 300 miles when I rented it. Didn't even have plates yet.
Old 02-16-2011, 12:36 PM
ualdep
Registered Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I just had mine done & so far it seems to be smoother; ie, I havent had any rough downshifts.

2009 G37s sedan 10K
Old 02-16-2011, 03:18 PM
G_Spot_37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sniper27
can anyone confirm if the 2011 comes with the reflash? I ask since the TSB applies to 2010 (2009?) and the 2011 G rental I had felt a lot better. Maybe it was driven like it was stolen, but the car only had 300 miles when I rented it. Didn't even have plates yet.
I took my 2011 Journey sedan for a reflash and they told me there is none for this car, but they installed the one they had anyway because I insisted that this behavior was unacceptable. They told me that even though this reflash didn't list my car, it is still OK to install it. They also reset the ECU. Feels much better... and I started driving it hard which also helped.

On an unrelated note...how long do you guys warm up the car? Do you keep it under 4 rpms for the first couple of miles before you step on it? Thank you.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:30 PM
MaluG37

Originally Posted by G_Spot_37
I took my 2011 Journey sedan for a reflash and they told me there is none for this car, but they installed the one they had anyway because I insisted that this behavior was unacceptable. They told me that even though this reflash didn't list my car, it is still OK to install it. They also reset the ECU. Feels much better... and I started driving it hard which also helped.

On an unrelated note...how long do you guys warm up the car? Do you keep it under 4 rpms for the first couple of miles before you step on it? Thank you.
I was told by my dealer that they could not push an update if the car does not accept it. The problem ended up being a consult III that was not up to date.

My car is garage kept, but I wait till the chattering in the engine stops after 30 secs before pulling out of the garage, then I wait about another 30 secs before I drive. As I accelerate onto the main road, thats usually when I would get the flaring rpm sometimes...if I'm understanding the issue correctly.
Old 02-16-2011, 03:56 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Almatti
Max, Riley and Chris11, not to be too facetious, but this thread is really abut the 7 AT Reprogramming - Reflash and results and performance of this "wonderful" 7 speed Auto Tranny.....I think the discussion of engine breaking and using the tranny downsgifts should go to another Thread for that discussion.. I only say that b/c hoepfully Infiniti will get the message as the members who cite the complaints about the 7 AT here are read by the Inifiniti Clan of engineers. Even though the reflash has made the performance a little better, I still remian disgusted with the lack of the 07 G performance levels.....
Lately, if tried to Punch the Throttle WOT on the highway, which I have not been able to do, with this icy weather here in the North east, but noticed for the first time, that when I do Punch WOT - she hesitates slightly, and only hit about 5000 to 5500 RPMS??? That must be the Restrictions/Governor Infiniti has installed into the ECU ??
Disagree. The ONLY reason I am not getting the flash done on my car, because I have complained about the overly-sensitive, non-linear throttle since Day 1 that is now resolved and happily fixes some of the tranny jumpiness, is due to the REMOVAL of the engine braking. I like it in D and DS just the way it is. It is designed to simulate a manual transmission and basically means the car is always in the right gear at the right time for either acceleration or engine braking or just toddling along. All controlled with a tiny flex of the right foot...not back and forth from one peddle to another. It is relevant to this topic.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:13 PM
burningembers

Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Disagree. The ONLY reason I am not getting the flash done on my car, because I have complained about the overly-sensitive, non-linear throttle since Day 1 that is now resolved and happily fixes some of the tranny jumpiness, is due to the REMOVAL of the engine braking. I like it in D and DS just the way it is. It is designed to simulate a manual transmission and basically means the car is always in the right gear at the right time for either acceleration or engine braking or just toddling along. All controlled with a tiny flex of the right foot...not back and forth from one peddle to another. It is relevant to this topic.
I'd definitely agree if I could keep the engine braking it would be awesome.

But what I've got going right now is engine braking + not ever being in the right gear. Whenever I punch it while coasting along with engine braking, it downshifts for half a second and I fly forward in my seat, then it goes back to the "right" gear, and off I go.
Old 02-16-2011, 04:23 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Marc: How did you Resolve It... if you didn't get the Reflash Done? I still get engine braking in D mode under certain driving circumstances and definetley more engine braking in DS mode as it is designed to do both before and after the Reflash of the ECU/TCM.
Old 02-16-2011, 05:10 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
i don't mind the engine braking if it was smoother. i just hate the jerkiness of the tranny when downshifting and jerky gear hunting in traffic.
Old 02-16-2011, 06:43 PM
firstinfiniti

This is getting very annoying now. I almost ran a red light because of the delayed power at 25mph. This is turning out to be safety issue. I am definitely going to the dealership this weekend.
Old 02-16-2011, 07:28 PM
sneakers
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by MaluG37
My personal experience is that the feeling of a transmission lag has been reduced with the reprogram. There is still a delay in acceleration, but nothing worse than before. What I notice is that the trans selects a gear faster than it did before.

I experienced something different with the transmission yesterday. I was driving home from work in DS mode and approaching a highway on ramp and accelerated hard into the turn. The trans seemed to realize I wanted to drive aggressive based on my previous throttle inputs and held what seemed to be 4th gear through the corner. I tried letting off the throttle to force it to shift and it still held the same gear at around 4000rpm. Then I punched it and there was instant power no lag and it continued to rev until it changed gears. I was impressed because it never did that before and it felt like how I used to shift in my previous manual car.

I haven't felt the need to shift manually since the cars been shifting much better than before, but I will try.

Thanks for the reply. Going to roll the dice and get this reflash (G37xs 2009). Have an appointment Thursday. Will report back.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:56 PM
burningembers

Went to dealership today for the reflash (45 minute drive, really wish they could've told me over the phone) and they claimed it wasn't compatible with my 2011 G37x and didn't apply. They also said since my car is sub 1200-1500 miles its hard to say whether or not my issues are legitimate or not.

Honestly, that's fair. I've started ignoring "break-in" and driving it like I normally would (for better or worse). And it actually seems to be getting better...I'll give it another week and see. I might just jump the gun get HyperTech it up sans the reflash.
Old 02-16-2011, 09:59 PM
HappyG

Originally Posted by burningembers
They also said since my car is sub 1200-1500 miles its hard to say whether or not my issues are legitimate or not.
That's a total BS on their part.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram