Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2011, 04:31 PM
MaluG37

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I finally was able to get the TCM and ECM reprogramed and it sure did make a difference. I've only driven about 15 miles of suburban stop and go, but the car feels much more well mannered. There is less jerky shifts accelerating from a stop, engine braking is reduced to a comfortable level and downshifts are smooth. The car does not feel lazy, as a matter of fact I merged into traffic moving at 55mph from a stop effortlessly. The car seems faster since the shifts are not jerky (but its probably the same as before). Hopefully after I pile on the miles I will still be as happy, if nothing else it's a step in the right direction.

I was getting between 21 to 22 mpg doing 80% suburban driving and 20% highway, so I'll see what I get with the reprogram.

The only odd thing I noticed was a strange rattling type noise when in D and trying to slowly role from a stop on an incline. Noticed this on my driveway and I never heard it before. It's only when you feather the throttle to keep the car from rolling back. Noise seemed to be present when the trans was under some load, but I'll have to experiment some more.

For those that were not able to get the reprogram the first time around. Make sure the dealer gets the Consult III updated, because I was unable to get the update the first time around.
Old 02-03-2011, 05:25 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
I have a hypertech tune (in response to another post on this thread) with the 7AT, and it has gone a long way in improving the ECU-based throttle lag. The only lag I get is from the torque converter locking in and out, and the TCMs shift pressure programming. But about 50% of the lag is gone with the HT tune's ability to remove the 0-60 throttle restrictions.

I will never get the TCM reprogram. I bought my car for performance reasons, and I like the aggressive, a bit harsh shifting feel. Anything that removes performance from my car in the name of comfort is a non-starter in my book. If infiniti would put a wet clutch DSG in the car's tranny, you'd no longer need a torque converter and you'd get super-smooth shifts + better performance through faster shifts, so I hope they go in that direction. Solve all problems.
Old 02-03-2011, 08:56 PM
RedG37SNC

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ozzypriest
I will never get the TCM reprogram. I bought my car for performance reasons, and I like the aggressive, a bit harsh shifting feel. Anything that removes performance from my car in the name of comfort is a non-starter in my book. If infiniti would put a wet clutch DSG in the car's tranny, you'd no longer need a torque converter and you'd get super-smooth shifts + better performance through faster shifts, so I hope they go in that direction. Solve all problems.
Yea, no doubt, my next car will be DSG, I don't want to have to pick manual or automatic.. I want them both. I've been trying to get a gist as to where Jatco's going but it really doesn't seem like DSG. They're trying to fill the low cost DSG like space with their Step-AT's and it's just not close enough for me.
Old 02-03-2011, 11:04 PM
Hapa DC5

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Looks like I am going to skip this as well. Headed to the dealer tomorrow. They'll just have to replace my driver side seat heater switch which sticks in the morning. Anyone else experience that? Nothing spilled on it either...
Old 02-04-2011, 11:39 AM
Alex57r

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by RedG37SNC
Yea, no doubt, my next car will be DSG, I don't want to have to pick manual or automatic.. I want them both. I've been trying to get a gist as to where Jatco's going but it really doesn't seem like DSG. They're trying to fill the low cost DSG like space with their Step-AT's and it's just not close enough for me.

I agree. Driving a dual clutch M3 totally changed my views of transmissions in general. I don't even care if it's smooth. I want instant responses to paddle pulls and ability to do burnouts... LOL

Btw the 7AT in my '10 S oupe is much smoother than the 7AT in my '09 xS sedan. So either they changed something in the programming or maybe they already did the update on the 2010. I will never know becasue I am perfectly ok with either, but I do miss the extra downshifting and engine breaking I had in the '09.
Old 02-04-2011, 11:55 AM
mag37x

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I had the reflash done on my 10 G37x. It is somewhat better, but was told it will take sometime to "relearn" my driving habits. Still very disappointed in the 30-40 mph range. It still lugs the car along especially in traffic. How long does it take to "relearn"?? I wish I had my 2008 G35x back. I want to get rid of this car already with only 4700 miles on it....Any info would be great
Old 02-04-2011, 11:59 AM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Any idea how many updates the 5AT had during its lifetime?

Im kinda hoping that Nissan is just taking baby steps with the 7AT, one small update at a time to make it as good as the 5AT apparently was (Ive never driven the 5AT so I dont know).

We can start to worry once Nissan stops using the 7AT in its vehicles.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:19 PM
TheLocNar
Registered Member

Received 66 Likes on 52 Posts
Originally Posted by mag37x
I had the reflash done on my 10 G37x. It is somewhat better, but was told it will take sometime to "relearn" my driving habits. Still very disappointed in the 30-40 mph range. It still lugs the car along especially in traffic. How long does it take to "relearn"?? I wish I had my 2008 G35x back. I want to get rid of this car already with only 4700 miles on it....Any info would be great
I know the last thing you want to do is spend $ for something you feel should be perfect from the factory, but the Hypertech tuner really helps with that issue.
Old 02-04-2011, 12:53 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mag37x
mag, you need to flip through some of the earlier pages on this thread - its growing daily it seems - but one member described this so-called "learning" of the driving style. My 2010 G37X Post Reflash is performing a little better, whatever that means... but the Lag is till there under cerain driivng conditons as has been described at nausium here... You reference the 08 G - I had a 07 G35X which had even more throttle sensitivity than thye 08s [judging from having driven some 08 loaners), that will NOT happen with this 7 AT unfortunately...
Old 02-04-2011, 05:06 PM
Ibanez540r

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by efuseakay
I know the last thing you want to do is spend $ for something you feel should be perfect from the factory, but the Hypertech tuner really helps with that issue.
Can you elaborate/write-up on a comparison before and after hypertech? Trying to get a feel for how much of a difference it really makes with trans & power.

..sorry if it is in this thread already somewhere. I had kept up with it for a bit but not the last 1000 pages
Old 02-04-2011, 10:41 PM
ozzypriest
Registered Member

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Ibanez540r
Can you elaborate/write-up on a comparison before and after hypertech? Trying to get a feel for how much of a difference it really makes with trans & power.

..sorry if it is in this thread already somewhere. I had kept up with it for a bit but not the last 1000 pages
I do - check out my new PR thread here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...-1-4-mile.html
Old 02-07-2011, 04:38 AM
hscac

I have talked to my dealer a month ago telling them that my car has very hard engine braking with crusing and very late upshift.

Late Upshift: I found out the auto (in D AND Ds), it shift from
1>2 at ~10km/h
2>3 at ~20km/h
3>4 at 40km/h
4>5 at 53km/h
5>6 at 60km/h
6+ whatever...

What I did is trying to get it upshift as soon as possible to gain gas milage, so i was driving like a grandma... but nothing I could do to make it upshift earlier...
The biggest problem occurs at 3>4 and 4>5, especially in urban driving, if I am driving at like 48km/h, it does not upshift and stays at higher rpm, and the gas consumption meter says 17-20L/100km, which is considered as a gas eater....

Same idea for crusing,
it downshift so fast from 50 > almost 20km/h within like 10sec, so I cannot just cruise to the red light, instead, I have to step steadily to the throttle just to "cruise" to the red light not far in front of me.

The dealer says they went thru a complete check and nothing wrong has found... would the new reprogram correct this?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:44 AM
Exigent

If I just bought the car, this reprogram is already done, yes?
Old 02-07-2011, 10:44 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by hscac
The dealer says they went thru a complete check and nothing wrong has found... would the new reprogram correct this?
It will help with the engine braking when coming to a stop, you will not have to keep your foot on the gas pedal. It does not change the upshift points, those stay the same.

I am getting used to the more linear throttle, it's not bad. Feels as if I have more control, and VDC doesn't come on everytime there's snow outside.

The lag isn't there when driving aggressively. Its noticeable when the car shifts into a high gear with rpm between 1000-1500. This mostly occurs while driving in stop and go traffic. Car tries to accelerate in that high gear, then it downshifts a couple of gears, this is where the lag is, and it goes really fast after.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:32 PM
firstinfiniti

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I dont understand this trans issue at all. My wife's G25 shifts flawlessly, whereas my G37 has the harsh downshift/delayed upshift issue. Both cars are 2011. I called the dealer because they are both 7ATand they said its the engine. I was like WTF. They also said it will go away after it "learns" my driving habits, in about 7.5k miles. I was so disappointed by the crap they were trying to feed me. I just bought 3 cars in December. I will be seeing the manager this weekend.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram