Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 12-13-2017, 09:20 PM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Lucky13S
I just bought a 2012 G37x with 2500 miles so I didn't think it would have these kind of issues but sure enough... the 2nd to 1st gear can be pretty rough and at times it feels like the car doesn't know which gear it should be in. This is especially true while cruising in traffic where I'll constantly find myself below 1k RPM's and have absolutely no power if I go to accelerate.

Can only a dealer preform the update? What's the latest version and is there a way to check what version your car has beforehand? I'm having a shop do some work on my car soon so I'm not sure if they are able to do it for me.
Only a dealership can do the update. They should be able to see if you have the latest update or not but most likely you don’t. When I had mine flashed it definitely fixed the rough downshift from 2nd to 1st. They charged me an hour of labor to do the update which was $125.
Old 12-13-2017, 10:21 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I think that only a tech with access to a Consult II diagnostic computer can do the update. So, you may be able to get it done at a NIssan dealer. Generally, you can get an update only to the most recent firmware, not any incremental ones. And my experience with doing the AT updates on a 2011 G37x sedan says that gas mileage will trend downward as the updates are applied. I'm now getting around 19mpg in mixed driving, originally got about 23.
The following users liked this post:
tiguy99 (08-16-2019)
Old 12-13-2017, 10:24 PM
Quiver
Registered Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudgen
I think that only a tech with access to a Consult II diagnostic computer can do the update. So, you may be able to get it done at a NIssan dealer. Generally, you can get an update only to the most recent firmware, not any incremental ones. And my experience with doing the AT updates on a 2011 G37x sedan says that gas mileage will trend downward as the updates are applied. I'm now getting around 19mpg in mixed driving, originally got about 23.
I believe most Nissan dealerships can do it, they just can’t do warranty work. I got mine applied at a Nissan dealership. But I do agree with the gas mileage, I’m not sure what I was getting before but I get about 19 combined now.
tiguy99 (08-16-2019)
Old 12-13-2017, 10:36 PM
Mudgen
Registered Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Quiver
I believe most Nissan dealerships can do it, they just can’t do warranty work. I got mine applied at a Nissan dealership. But I do agree with the gas mileage, I’m not sure what I was getting before but I get about 19 combined now.
Absolutely. They can't do Infiniti warranty work, but they can do anything that you're paying for to Nissan/Infiniti standards, if they're willing. And the two I've dealt with have been pleased to have the business. Only necessary because my Infiniti dealer moved about 30 miles farther away from me after I bought the car.
Old 12-14-2017, 08:00 AM
joebrez

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Mudgen
Absolutely. They can't do Infiniti warranty work, but they can do anything that you're paying for to Nissan/Infiniti standards, if they're willing. And the two I've dealt with have been pleased to have the business. Only necessary because my Infiniti dealer moved about 30 miles farther away from me after I bought the car.
I've worked with a Nissan dealer that says they can do Infiniti Warranty work if there is not an Infiniti within a set amount of miles (50+ IIRC).
Old 12-15-2017, 12:02 PM
nguyem01

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
My 2010 G37x experience same downshift issues 4th to 3rd gear, however after replaced transmission fluid and reset ECU I didn't notice any issues since hopefully this fix the problems in the long term.
Old 02-12-2018, 01:28 PM
Nabeel24

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hey everyone.
I recently purchased a 2013 G37xS w/60K miles. I've called a couple of the local dealers (Sheehy Infiniti in Tysons & JBA Infiniti), both have stated they cannot tell me if my G37 has the latest TSB if I provide the Vin number.
Additionally, Tysons Infiniti stated they don't "just check" for tsb's unless someone brings it in for a major service and the cost is $135.

Is there any other way to know which update is on my car or if it needs one in general?

Thanks.
Old 02-12-2018, 02:17 PM
telcoman
Registered Member

Received 161 Likes on 139 Posts
Originally Posted by Nabeel24
Hey everyone.
I recently purchased a 2013 G37xS w/60K miles. I've called a couple of the local dealers (Sheehy Infiniti in Tysons & JBA Infiniti), both have stated they cannot tell me if my G37 has the latest TSB if I provide the Vin number.
Additionally, Tysons Infiniti stated they don't "just check" for tsb's unless someone brings it in for a major service and the cost is $135.

Is there any other way to know which update is on my car or if it needs one in general?

Thanks.
Why didn't you have the vehicle thoroughly inspected by an Infiniti dealer prior to purchase? They could have provided that information to you and if there was a cost you could have forced the seller to pay for it.

Telcoman
tiguy99 (08-16-2019)
Old 02-12-2018, 02:22 PM
Nabeel24

Originally Posted by telcoman
Why didn't you have the vehicle thoroughly inspected by an Infiniti dealer prior to purchase? They could have provided that information to you and if there was a cost you could have forced the seller to pay for it.

Telcoman
I purchased the car from an Audi dealer but I did have the Pre-purchase Inspection done at the Infiniti dealer across the street. I forgot to specifically ask for the TSB detail when I got the PPI done at the time.

When I spoke to the adviser today, I did ask for the TSB information from my PPI but was told they don't have any.
Old 02-13-2018, 01:10 PM
justinc7100

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I own an 09 g37x with 126k miles. I have had many of the problems described throughout this thread. One thing that concerns me though is that every once in a while, the downshift is rougher then normal and somtimes makes a clunk noise. It doesn't vibrate or anything and the car shifts normally apart from the noise. Seems to do it more when I am in a high gear, i brake hard then stomp on the gas again to gain back my speed. It happens every once in a while and only if the car is warm. It like it slams into gear.

Last edited by justinc7100; 02-13-2018 at 01:15 PM.
Old 02-14-2018, 06:45 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Justin, have you had any of the tranny updates installed? If not, it's recommended. I too have an '09, but 2WD - and I was getting the clunk noise sometimes. The first update was light night and day - much smoother, I loved how the car drove. I think I had 1-2 more updates installed after the first, each was noticeable but not as dramatic as the first. If you can get it done for a reasonable price, I'd do it.
tiguy99 (08-16-2019)
Old 02-15-2018, 06:56 PM
justinc7100

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Justin, have you had any of the tranny updates installed? If not, it's recommended. I too have an '09, but 2WD - and I was getting the clunk noise sometimes. The first update was light night and day - much smoother, I loved how the car drove. I think I had 1-2 more updates installed after the first, each was noticeable but not as dramatic as the first. If you can get it done for a reasonable price, I'd do it.
I am unsure, I will check with the dealer. My main concern is just city driving with this car. Some days it drives pretty normally with the usual weirdness lol but my main concern is when cursing at around 25-30 the rpms are at 1000? I understand the car is in 7th gear for fuel economy but I am unsure if it is normal. Occasionally once in a blue moon the car will even vibrate when applying light throttle, this vibration goes away instantly as I press harder on the gas. So is it normal for my car to be at 1000k when pretty much coasting? I would understand if I was coming off the highway or accelerated to 40 but sometimes this happens when I come from a stop. The car upshifts and downshifts fine which leads me to believe this is either an ECU issues and I need an update or the torque converter is having problems with locking and unlocking. Seems like the car is upshifting to 7th too early. I also notice when coming to a stop right before the rpms settle at idle, the car vibrates a little bit, hopefully cleaning my throttle bodies fix this but I fear my trans is on its way out
Old 02-16-2018, 10:58 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I recall my car having most of those issues. I bought it new, so I know it didn't have the updates. I recall thinking that the car didn't know what gear to be in, and sometimes wouldn't upshift or downshift when expected. I also recall some clunking and shaking at low RPM.

Running at 1000 rpm is not right. Mine may get down to 1500 but will always shift to the proper gear when needed.

Again, it sounds like you need the update applied. Maybe if you get some other work done, they'll do it free. Even if they charge you to do the work, it's WELL worth it, trust me...
Old 02-21-2018, 11:34 AM
sdross99

Just bought a 2013 G37x 7AT @50K miles. I notice the transmission kind of "shudders" at low acceleration going from 2nd to 3rd gear and it just seems the responsiveness of the pedal to the transmission is not in sync. I know there has been issues up to 2011 and a re flash of the ECU. anyone know about the 13's? Something I can bring to dealer and have them re-program the transmission for a smoother shifting response?
Old 02-21-2018, 11:39 AM
jfridge92
Registered Member

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
I just did a 3x drain and refill on my 13's transmission (at 66,000 miles)on Saturday, and I noticed an immediate difference in the response and shifting behavior of the car. It's much smoother between shifts, but still acts a little sluggish in D. DS clears it up, and shifting manually is much more responsive. Not sure that there is an update for the 13's but that may be something a quick call to the dealer with your VIN can verify.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram