Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2014, 09:22 PM
joselitopr

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by EpicOnDaBeat
I went to an Infiniti dealership last month to have the transmission update done and that has paid off because I don't notice nearly as much of the jerky shifting I was experiencing before. On the other hand, the service tech said there was also an "engine update" that they installed. Now when I go to use my Hypertech tuner it gives me an error message or says it cannot read the ECU. Does anyone know what "engine update" this guy was talking about and whether its worth having? My assumption is that it is for a stock setup so it may be of no use to me.
You may need to up date you hypertech.That happen to a body of mine with his dodge he got a dealer up date and his hyper tech stop working and he got to wait until hypertech had the up date for that ROM.
Old 02-28-2014, 05:36 PM
EpicOnDaBeat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by joselitopr
You may need to up date you hypertech.That happen to a body of mine with his dodge he got a dealer up date and his hyper tech stop working and he got to wait until hypertech had the up date for that ROM.
That makes sense. I plugged the tuner up to see if there were any updates for it and everything was up to date. Then about 2 days later I received an e-mail from a Hypertech rep about the error message I was getting (I assume it showed up when the software read the last output message from the tuner and alerted Hypertech) but his e-mail might as well have been in German because it didn't make any damn sense. Either way, I guess I'll keep trying every couple weeks and see if an update ever pops up. Thanks
Old 02-28-2014, 05:49 PM
Jsnc87

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adding my experience... Just took my 2010 Sedan (sport) in for the transmission update. No lag, proper and smooth downshifts. I was still covered under warranty, but I'm sure if you're out of warranty and make a big enough deal about it, they will do it for free. This should be included in the power train warranty too which is longer than the 4 year 60k standard warranty, so be sure to ask about that. If you're lagging or experiencing harsh downshifts, this is HIGHLY recommended. I am one happy camper now.

I'm thinking this would be a good thread to sticky?
Old 03-03-2014, 01:30 PM
Rakaposhi

I've been going back and forth with the dealership for thousands of miles now and I'm fed up. The 3 different g37 and q50 loaner sedans I've been given have a major difference in pick up response and acceleration than my g37s coupe. Its ridiculous. And my car shifts very rough and the downshifting is horrible. This time I told them you just need to fix it asap while you fix the oil consumption issue. I'll open a new thread on oil consumption.
Old 03-03-2014, 03:24 PM
Ronso

This forum is great!. I picked up a 2012 G37 sedan AT with 16,520 odd miles on it, 3 weeks ago and am wondering why the transmission shifts very smoothly with light throttle but seems to really hang in third if I get on it. Now I'm thinking to take the car to an Infiniti dealer for inspection and to see if this can be cleared up. with a re-program. Thanks all!

Last edited by Ronso; 03-04-2014 at 05:39 AM.
Old 03-05-2014, 11:59 AM
Jsnc87

Originally Posted by Ronso
This forum is great!. I picked up a 2012 G37 sedan AT with 16,520 odd miles on it, 3 weeks ago and am wondering why the transmission shifts very smoothly with light throttle but seems to really hang in third if I get on it. Now I'm thinking to take the car to an Infiniti dealer for inspection and to see if this can be cleared up. with a re-program. Thanks all!
Hangs in third? Mine was hanging in 5-6 while cruising at 30-40mph and when I would try to speed up, the downshift would literally take around 4-5 seconds, and once it did it would kick really hard throwing everyone back in their seats. Now when I replicate that situation, it takes 1-2 seconds MAX to downshift and the only time it kicks is when I want it to.

Hope you get yours figured out!
Old 03-05-2014, 12:51 PM
Darth Kinetic

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by Jsnc87
Hangs in third? Mine was hanging in 5-6 while cruising at 30-40mph and when I would try to speed up, the downshift would literally take around 4-5 seconds, and once it did it would kick really hard throwing everyone back in their seats. Now when I replicate that situation, it takes 1-2 seconds MAX to downshift and the only time it kicks is when I want it to.

Hope you get yours figured out!
What did you do to affect change?
Old 03-05-2014, 01:07 PM
Jsnc87

Originally Posted by Darth Kinetic
What did you do to affect change?
Originally Posted by Jsnc87
Adding my experience... Just took my 2010 Sedan (sport) in for the transmission update. No lag, proper and smooth downshifts. I was still covered under warranty, but I'm sure if you're out of warranty and make a big enough deal about it, they will do it for free. This should be included in the power train warranty too which is longer than the 4 year 60k standard warranty, so be sure to ask about that. If you're lagging or experiencing harsh downshifts, this is HIGHLY recommended. I am one happy camper now.

I'm thinking this would be a good thread to sticky?
^This is what I did.
Old 03-07-2014, 02:51 AM
tamikojae

Did you have to pay anything? Im bring my 2010 g37x coupe in next thursday, the service advisor said my vehicle is still under factory warranty.. which means i souldnt be paying anything right?
Im really hoping its a reprogramming problem. Ill be going 45mph, ill slow down and my car would down shift from 3rd to 2nd but my rpms would jump up from 1000 to 1500 just to down shift, which will give that hard jerk while braking. Is this a reprogramming problem?
Old 03-07-2014, 08:11 AM
jazzmang

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
Originally Posted by tamikojae
Did you have to pay anything? Im bring my 2010 g37x coupe in next thursday, the service advisor said my vehicle is still under factory warranty.. which means i souldnt be paying anything right?
Im really hoping its a reprogramming problem. Ill be going 45mph, ill slow down and my car would down shift from 3rd to 2nd but my rpms would jump up from 1000 to 1500 just to down shift, which will give that hard jerk while braking. Is this a reprogramming problem?
Are you in DS mode? If so, that's normal.
Old 03-07-2014, 09:53 AM
rm2342

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts
Ok, so I scheduled an oil change at the dealer tomorrow and haven't mentioned the transmission issue.

How should I work this in under warranty while in for an oil change? I don't think the direct route will work based on responses I've seen.
Old 03-08-2014, 04:58 PM
scottp2765

Hi...just to add to the crazy of this thread and maybe to help out some all wheel drive folks. I had really awful shifting with my automatic finally it just blew up and they replaced it. When they replaced it they did the update mentioned here and I still had strange shifting delay slow upshifts just plain goofy loose feeling. Last weekend I changed the oil in the transfer case and it's now night and day better overall period. I am thinking the xfer case was slipping a bit or something. I have a 2011 G37xS 7 speed auto. I am much happier with it now. Never thought changing the transfer case oil would make such an improvement. If you have AWD I would change it and see if you can tell a difference too.
Old 03-08-2014, 05:48 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
How many miles were on your car that you changed the xfer case oil?
Old 03-08-2014, 06:44 PM
joselitopr

Originally Posted by Ronso
The reason it hang on 3 is cause the gearing there is no right gear around 25 to 35 mph 2 to low and third to heavy. The only way it come back down to second is pedal to the metal.You can try on manual do 30 mph and switch between second and third and you know what I am talking about
Old 03-08-2014, 06:47 PM
joselitopr

The whole thing is about the gearing. For the car to feel smoth and prevent gear hunting they have to go with that programing the programing don't change the gearing.What help me from going crazy was changing the rear end it does help.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram