Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2011, 09:55 AM
clutch5

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wow! Scanning through this thread almost makes me glad I haven't yet worked out an acceptable deal to get a new G37.

I can't draw any concrete conclusions from the varied descriptions of the problem (or problems), whether it's a specific year, whether it's a specific model, whether it's mileage-dependent, and on and on.

About all I can conclude is that it's not a rare/fluke problem, but whether it is experienced by 1%, 10%, 50%, or 90% of 2009 / 2010 / 2011 owners...can't conclude that.

At a minimum it's got my attention and I'm starting to reconsider my (future) G37 purchase. But I have very high expectations for spending zero time in for repairs on new vehicle purchases.

It seemed initially the G37 met that expectation but now I'm not so sure. Rattles and quirks I can look the other way, but transmission issues that by some descriptions border on safety issues and/or heavy mechanical wear, not so much. Bummer.
Old 01-11-2011, 10:38 AM
cvroom

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by clutch5
Wow! Scanning through this thread almost makes me glad I haven't yet worked out an acceptable deal to get a new G37.

I can't draw any concrete conclusions from the varied descriptions of the problem (or problems), whether it's a specific year, whether it's a specific model, whether it's mileage-dependent, and on and on.

About all I can conclude is that it's not a rare/fluke problem, but whether it is experienced by 1%, 10%, 50%, or 90% of 2009 / 2010 / 2011 owners...can't conclude that.

At a minimum it's got my attention and I'm starting to reconsider my (future) G37 purchase. But I have very high expectations for spending zero time in for repairs on new vehicle purchases.

It seemed initially the G37 met that expectation but now I'm not so sure. Rattles and quirks I can look the other way, but transmission issues that by some descriptions border on safety issues and/or heavy mechanical wear, not so much. Bummer.
i think this is more of a complaint forum on the tranny than a problem with it. at first it seems like a problem but over time its gets almost completely better after it adapts to your driving. i think we just want infiniti catch the word on how to make the transmission better/perfect. you would never want to pass up buying this car if you like it do to the gripes mentioned here.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:16 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
ya, it's not a transmission problem, merely complaints about not suited to others' preference. there's nothing wrong with the tranny. the reflash is not a repair issue. You can drive your car just fine without it. it's just a matter of preference. if you expect zero time in for repairs for a new car...you probably won't be getting anything, because all cars will have some time in repairs.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:38 AM
clutch5

Originally Posted by sniper27
if you expect zero time in for repairs for a new car...you probably won't be getting anything, because all cars will have some time in repairs.
That hasn't been the experience in our household, but maybe you're right and that's the "new normal."

We've had 2 Toyotas and a Nissan, for 9,11, and 6 years respectively, with zero repairs beyond standard maintenance. We had a Saturn for 6 years with only 1 minor repair to the moonroof. But we also had a couple other GM vehicles and a VW that were in the shop all too often.

The G37 sure seems like the best package of value, performance, reliability, and features for its category in today's market. I looked at a lot of brands in the 4-dr quasi-luxury/performance category, and in the end it was down to two (the SH-AWD Acura TL being the other, so that would be the likely alternative).

I'd sure like to drive a G37 that is experiencing these issues, since, as you said, it may be purely a driving impression thing that I might not even have given a second thought to if it had not been for this thread pointing it out. Some of the descriptions do seem like more than a small annoyance though.
Old 01-11-2011, 11:50 AM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
Go test drive any new G37 and you should be able to experience these annoyances, now that you know what to look for. When I test drove the car, it didn't bother me that much as it's hard to tell with only a few minutes of seat time. But like i said, this is the design of the car, so it's not problem. Merely a preference issue.
Old 01-11-2011, 02:02 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by cvroom
i think this is more of a complaint forum on the tranny than a problem with it. at first it seems like a problem but over time its gets almost completely better after it adapts to your driving. i think we just want infiniti catch the word on how to make the transmission better/perfect. you would never want to pass up buying this car if you like it do to the gripes mentioned here.
+1

If you want to see real tranny problems, look up the issues I (and many other people) had with the 1999-2000 Accords with the V6 engine. That tranny was a piece of junk, and Honda basically just swept the issues under the carpet. No formal recall, at the time there wasnt even a TSB, it was just a "replace as they come in" kinda thing. Tranny on national backorder, etc. I had my Accord for 36K miles and it was on its 3rd tranny when I got rid of it. The first tranny went at 1200 miles!

Surprise all the issues went away when they redesigned the car in 2003, because there was a new tranny design. They extended the warranty on the earlier cars with the problem, but there were still some showing up with problems even outside of the extended warranty (mostly from low mileage cars that outlived the extended warranty years)

I recently test drove (and bought) a G37x sedan. The tranny is a refreshing change from the Accord I used to have and the i30 I have now.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:41 PM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
That hasn't been the experience in our household, but maybe you're right and that's the "new normal."

We've had 2 Toyotas and a Nissan, for 9,11, and 6 years respectively, with zero repairs beyond standard maintenance. We had a Saturn for 6 years with only 1 minor repair to the moonroof. But we also had a couple other GM vehicles and a VW that were in the shop all too often.

The G37 sure seems like the best package of value, performance, reliability, and features for its category in today's market. I looked at a lot of brands in the 4-dr quasi-luxury/performance category, and in the end it was down to two (the SH-AWD Acura TL being the other, so that would be the likely alternative).

I'd sure like to drive a G37 that is experiencing these issues, since, as you said, it may be purely a driving impression thing that I might not even have given a second thought to if it had not been for this thread pointing it out. Some of the descriptions do seem like more than a small annoyance though.
In my case, it was just a complaint, not an issue. After they reprogram the transmission, my G is a lot smoother than before. I am totally happy with the result.

If you decide not to get the G just because some of us here complaint about the jerky transmission, then you don't know what you are missing out. I suggest that you go test drive one and see for yourself.
Old 01-11-2011, 03:46 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
chris11 & clutch5: These are the "new Norm" complaints about the 7 spd AT. yes, its an annoyance, yes I have found that it has gotten better with more miles on it. It doesn't perform like my 07 G35X did with a 5 spd AT, but in talking to folks that have 7 spd Trannys - Lincoln MKS & and others, they experience the same, a little jerkiness in traffic (slower speeds) and some gear hunting. The lag I think is definetely from the WOT programming in combination with Throttle sensitivity issues [many people complained about the head jerking takeoff - I Loved It], and the fact that there are 7 gears, done for mileage increases. Don't Let This Disuade You From This Car !!!

Get past those - and you may or may not feel it - the Car is the Best Value Personal Sports Sedan out there. Do your shopping{ Audi, Lexus, BMW, Cadillac, Acura} , feel the acceleration, handling and steering, the smart interior, the X factor (AWD , is one of the best in the business}, safety ratings, for the $$$$$$ - IMHO, the G37X can't be beat. For those who like the Coupes : The Same...
Old 01-11-2011, 05:16 PM
speedster100

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I love my G37XS car, I actually like the way it downshifts itself coming up to corners and slowing down. My Duramax Diesel truck does that and it is actually better safety feature especially in slippery conditions.

My 2010 is a little slow if I putter around with it for a few days or week and don't give'er a bit in between. If I drive it like a sports car it doesn't take more than a half hour and all it's little hesitations are gone and she is responding perfectly.

Don't let the forum scare ya into not buying one of these awesome cars... I've drove Nissans for 20 years, Maxima SE's Altima SE's & Pathfinders with the V6. All magnificent vehicles and quick for what they were.

This G blows my mind when I get into the throttle and throw it into a corner, now that we have feet of snow and I've drove it through 6 inchs - a foot of snow on the highway it has only impressed me further and I've drove 4X4's since I got my license 34 years ago.

Everyday I like the car better than the one yesterday so relax, buy it and love it... Truely great value for the dollar when looking at comparables in its class.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:40 PM
JENG37S

Hi all, first post here.
I got my '11 G37S in December and have loved it. Coming from a Lexus IS350 it was a very pleasant change. Just two things in the Lexus I did not like, the very disconnected steering feel and the small interior. The G37 is great in all this and more.
I've been following this thread and did the TCM update. The shifting is smoother,engine braking is less severe and the lag is less,but is manageable.
So in the end I am very happy with my G37S and glad to be in the Infiniti family.
Old 01-11-2011, 08:12 PM
1BadAssG

ok guys here's a huge improvement i got out of my car. as most of you know, i was complaining about how heavy the car ran after the update.
well, i did a ECU reset and now my car runs smooth like butter.

i actually love it even more.

try the reset after the update and then you should be able to see the improvement of the update.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:36 AM
hufington

We've had 2 Toyotas and a Nissan, for 9,11, and 6 years respectively, with zero repairs beyond standard maintenance.
This reprogram can be performed during a standard oil change (if you choose to get it performed, of course) and takes not more than 5 mins. So, if this is against your zero repair time policy, then you better don't buy the G37. Cheers.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:48 AM
hufington

Another thing that I'd need to add is that the acceleration is much more linear from a full stop or from any speed. The jumpiness and multiple gear drop is gone, instead I felt that the tranny program chooses the appropriate gear much faster and much more accurately. You can apply the throttle more evenly without experiencing gear hunting.

Some may get the impression that the acceleration is slower than before the reprogram as it feels less aggressive, less jumpy and much smoother; however, I have measured the 0-60mph and 1/4 mile times with my V-box and the new values are almost identical with the old ones.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:49 AM
Adam West
Registered Member

Received 38 Likes on 31 Posts
What kind of numbers have you got with your Vbox?
Old 01-12-2011, 11:10 AM
hufington

Originally Posted by Adam West
What kind of numbers have you got with your Vbox?
The 1/4 mile ET are between 13.522 and 13.757.
0-60mph results are between 5.29 and 5.63.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram