Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

G37 7speed transmission reprogram

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2012, 11:15 PM
Marc Collins

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Chris11LE
Absolutely agreed.

You cant be the only auto transmission since auto transmissions became common that will give a downshift after panic braking. The whole reason we hated the lag was because it was not what we were expecting.

A downshift immediately after panic braking is the same thing. Anyone else that gets into a G would be like "WTF".

The few times Ive had to panic brake (in automatic AND manual transmission cars), the next move I made was NOT downshift and get the heck outta dodge. In fact, my tendency is to stay the course, even if I might hit something (within reason....if I can swerve to avoid a person or car I will do so, but again no downshift and acceleration). Panic braking, downshifting and trying to maneuver at the same time is more a recipe for an accident than just trying to stop altogether.
Then you don't know to drive.

If you are on the highway in top gear (overdrive presumably) in a manual transmission car going 60 mph and then panic brake to 20 mph, you are not going to downshift? You are going to try to drive away at 20 mph on top gear?

Or are you saying the only panic braking scenario you can imagine is one where you come to a complete stop (and so does everyone else involved in it)? I hope not...
Old 06-24-2012, 11:25 PM
2009G37Bandit

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts
Hey guys. I am in Dallas, near Flower Mound. I am calling too. Let me know how it goes. Do you remeber WHO you spoke with, PM me please. Don't worry I am respectful and will be nice to the person I speak with. I don't want to mess up your reprogram.

Thanks! Gary
Old 06-24-2012, 11:27 PM
g37guy01

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Marc Collins
Then you don't know to drive.

If you are on the highway in top gear (overdrive presumably) in a manual transmission car going 60 mph and then panic brake to 20 mph, you are not going to downshift? You are going to try to drive away at 20 mph on top gear?

Or are you saying the only panic braking scenario you can imagine is one where you come to a complete stop (and so does everyone else involved in it)? I hope not...
Correct, driving a manual I use the brakes in a panic stop not the clutch. I depress the clutch and put the gear in neutral whilst i slam on the brakes. Driving an auto I don't want the tranny to rev match....downshifting is ok. (and I know how to drive)
Old 06-25-2012, 09:02 AM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
I went in this morning. No update found for 2009, maybe it's not out in Canada?
Old 06-25-2012, 12:35 PM
'11G37S
A 1/4 mile @ a time

Received 173 Likes on 153 Posts
Just picked up my G from the dealership and I am happy to announce that 95% of my transmission problems are solved and it has smoothed out.
Old 06-25-2012, 12:48 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Originally Posted by g37guy01
Correct, driving a manual I use the brakes in a panic stop not the clutch. I depress the clutch and put the gear in neutral whilst i slam on the brakes. Driving an auto I don't want the tranny to rev match....downshifting is ok. (and I know how to drive)
Thats what I do. Hit brakes and clutch and pop it into neutral. That way I dont have think about downshifting to not stall the engine while Im trying to avoid an accident.

The less things to worry about in that situation, the better.

And yes, I know how to drive a manual transmission. And no, I dont downshift through every gear coming up to a stoplight either. (granted, Ive heard yes and no whether its "legal" to coast to a stop in neutral instead of rolling through each gear, since you lose engine braking)
Old 06-25-2012, 01:00 PM
g37guy01

Thats what I do. Hit brakes and clutch and pop it into neutral. That way I dont have think about downshifting to not stall the engine while Im trying to avoid an accident.

The less things to worry about in that situation, the better.

And yes, I know how to drive a manual transmission. And no, I dont downshift through every gear coming up to a stoplight either. (granted, Ive heard yes and no whether its "legal" to coast to a stop in neutral instead of rolling through each gear, since you lose engine braking)
As far as coasting to a stop....I would have to say its cheaper to replace brakes than the clutch. I don't coast to a stop in neutral, but rather shift into neutral keeping my foot on the clutch in case. When I come to a stop I release the clutch.
Old 06-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Originally Posted by g37guy01
As far as coasting to a stop....I would have to say its cheaper to replace brakes than the clutch. I don't coast to a stop in neutral, but rather shift into neutral keeping my foot on the clutch in case. When I come to a stop I release the clutch.
Yep, thats always been my take. Brakes are cheap and easy.

Yet Ive had more than a few people tell me they would rather replace a clutch (?)
Old 06-25-2012, 03:01 PM
Marc Collins

Panic braking/avoiding an accident is not the same as normal driving. What you do in normal, everyday conditions is not the same.

Anyone who thinks it is better to be in neutral or in high gear while you are trying to avoid an accident doesn't know how to drive...period.

Yes, you or I might just jam in the clutch and pray because it takes a lot of co-ordination to rev-match downshift while panic braking and possibly steering all at the same time as heart rate is spiking. That doesn't make it the right thing or the best thing to do. The engine should be engaged and at a reasonable rpm to provide both torque for possible acceleration and/or engine braking assistance.

The tranny programming that provides this, within less than a second of applying the brakes, is brilliant, safety-conscious engineering that allows the car to EXCEED the capability of 99% of the drivers out there. Just like the AWD system and traction control and ABS and so on have all been developed to allow people who are less competent and/or who have momentary lapses of attention to be safer than if they relied upon their own skills, the tranny being in the right gear at the right time is part of that evolution.

I learned to drive and had a perfect driving record in the era of bias-ply tires, drum brakes, no ABS, no nothing, driving in heavy snow and winter conditions. I have raced Formula 2000. I know how to drive, but still appreciate and marvel at advancements in automotive engineering that can respond faster than any human can and can be deployed in a manner that still results in a fun car to drive. Downshifting during panic braking is absolutely one of those advancements.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:13 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

Panic braking/avoiding an accident is not the same as normal driving. What you do in normal, everyday conditions is not the same.

Anyone who thinks it is better to be in neutral or in high gear while you are trying to avoid an accident doesn't know how to drive...period.

Yes, you or I might just jam in the clutch and pray because it takes a lot of co-ordination to rev-match downshift while panic braking and possibly steering all at the same time as heart rate is spiking. That doesn't make it the right thing or the best thing to do. The engine should be engaged and at a reasonable rpm to provide both torque for possible acceleration and/or engine braking assistance.

The tranny programming that provides this, within less than a second of applying the brakes, is brilliant, safety-conscious engineering that allows the car to EXCEED the capability of 99% of the drivers out there. Just like the AWD system and traction control and ABS and so on have all been developed to allow people who are less competent and/or who have momentary lapses of attention to be safer than if they relied upon their own skills, the tranny being in the right gear at the right time is part of that evolution.

I learned to drive and had a perfect driving record in the era of bias-ply tires, drum brakes, no ABS, no nothing, driving in heavy snow and winter conditions. I have raced Formula 2000. I know how to drive, but still appreciate and marvel at advancements in automotive engineering that can respond faster than any human can and can be deployed in a manner that still results in a fun car to drive. Downshifting during panic braking is absolutely one of those advancements.
I dont necessarily disagree that an immediate downshift would be nice, the problem is 99% of cars wont be advanced enough to do it. So you'll have plenty of people out there that get spooked when they arent expecting the downshift after panic braking.

Obviously good drivers will get used to it, but even still if you havent panic braked your shiny new car you wouldnt necessarily know its coming.

I suppose any time you get a new car you SHOULD go around in a parking lot or something and learn the ins and outs of how it really works, but really how many people do that? You or I may, thats why we're on these forums. But the average everyday driver? Probably not. For them, I think it actually turns into a safety issue, not something that HELPS safety.

In the G, Ive honestly never seen it downshift like that in normal D (even when panic braking just to do it, not about to get into an accident). I havent tried DS since getting the flash upgrade since D is that much better now but I do know I was able to get it to revmatch-downshift consistently based on certain parameters (sharp turn, sharp tap on the pedal and it would revmatch 100% of the time).

I know you or someone else has mentioned this "aggressiveness" has been tamed with the new flash, I will try it out when I get a chance. I actually liked it aggressive as long as it was just in DS, because that was the point of DS to me.
Old 06-25-2012, 03:53 PM
Marc Collins

I dont necessarily disagree that an immediate downshift would be nice, the problem is 99% of cars wont be advanced enough to do it. So you'll have plenty of people out there that get spooked when they arent expecting the downshift after panic braking.

Obviously good drivers will get used to it, but even still if you havent panic braked your shiny new car you wouldnt necessarily know its coming.

I suppose any time you get a new car you SHOULD go around in a parking lot or something and learn the ins and outs of how it really works, but really how many people do that? You or I may, thats why we're on these forums. But the average everyday driver? Probably not. For them, I think it actually turns into a safety issue, not something that HELPS safety.

In the G, Ive honestly never seen it downshift like that in normal D (even when panic braking just to do it, not about to get into an accident). I havent tried DS since getting the flash upgrade since D is that much better now but I do know I was able to get it to revmatch-downshift consistently based on certain parameters (sharp turn, sharp tap on the pedal and it would revmatch 100% of the time).

I know you or someone else has mentioned this "aggressiveness" has been tamed with the new flash, I will try it out when I get a chance. I actually liked it aggressive as long as it was just in DS, because that was the point of DS to me.
I said in my original post that the first time it happened to me I was very surprised. But why would I be spooked? After the incident (that fortunately had no damage or consequences), my thought was, wow, someone (and my car by extension) actually paid attention to details and cared about my saftey. The seat belt auto-retracting at the same moment added to the effect.

In advanced European cars, the sunroof and windows would have also started closing had they been open so that if the big one was coming the occupants would be better protected. I am sure that would surprise the hell out of you if you weren't excpecting it, but it should be a pleasant surprise, not something to complain about or lobby to get rid of.

And yes, I would like to confirm what has actually happened with the panic braking downshifting. Is it still in DS (not clear from info posted here)? Is it really gone from D completely, or did they just get rid of the "spirited driving" downshifting from D?

Last edited by Marc Collins; 06-25-2012 at 04:05 PM.
Old 06-25-2012, 04:08 PM
Marc Collins

Originally Posted by awais
I went in this morning. No update found for 2009, maybe it's not out in Canada?
Did you quote the exact ITB reference? Which dealer?

This is exactly what I would expect from the dealers--who tend to know less than the people here about what is going on.

Infiniti Canada head office didn't even know about the update AFTER it was released.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:52 PM
awais
Registered Member

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Did you quote the exact ITB reference? Which dealer?

This is exactly what I would expect from the dealers--who tend to know less than the people here about what is going on.

Infiniti Canada head office didn't even know about the update AFTER it was released.
Yes, I did. It's a dealership in Mississauga. Not bashing them or anything.

Service manager pulled up all the ITBs for 2009 G37, I did not see ITB12027 in the list. I did see the last update ITB10075 in there. I don't mind waiting a week or two for the update or drive to another dealership even if it's far, or across the border

I do agree with you on Infiniti's service not so great in Canada. The only time I was given a service rental car (EX35) was when I was paying them to have my rotors resurfaced. Never for any warranty work.
Old 06-25-2012, 05:58 PM
Chris11LE
Registered Member

I said in my original post that the first time it happened to me I was very surprised. But why would I be spooked? After the incident (that fortunately had no damage or consequences), my thought was, wow, someone (and my car by extension) actually paid attention to details and cared about my saftey. The seat belt auto-retracting at the same moment added to the effect.

In advanced European cars, the sunroof and windows would have also started closing had they been open so that if the big one was coming the occupants would be better protected. I am sure that would surprise the hell out of you if you weren't excpecting it, but it should be a pleasant surprise, not something to complain about or lobby to get rid of.

And yes, I would like to confirm what has actually happened with the panic braking downshifting. Is it still in DS (not clear from info posted here)? Is it really gone from D completely, or did they just get rid of the "spirited driving" downshifting from D?
I havent seen the G do the tranny downshift thing. Makes you wonder....was it NOT supposed to be doing that? And did they actually FIX it with the new update?

Ive seen the auto closing windows and sunroof, etc. Never really thought about it too much, especially with enough airbags to float a boat inside your car. I thought all the side curtain stuff would be enough to keep you from ejecting (then again, once its deployed there is no more protection afterward). Oddly enough when I was in an accident with my Frontier, the airbag deployed and helped, but the truck was still going and ended up hitting a highway entrance sign, at a decent speed. Airbag was no use at that point!

IIRC, Infiniti was one of the first automakers to have active head rests. I know my '01 i30 had them but I dont think the G does. Supposed to kind of turn into a cradle around your head to help prevent whiplash. Luckily I never got to "test" them out.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:08 PM
g37guy01

I certainly am not debating downshifting, what I am debating is the rev-matching I once felt on a fast brake. The car actually lurched forward as I was pressing on the brake. It happened only once in 10 months, but it spooked me.

On those few occasions I had to panic brake with my manual, foot hit the clutch and brake at the same time. When you have 4 seconds to keep yourself out of an accident, you are not rowing through your gears.

I don't want to give my driving record a kina hurra but I also have a spotless record, save for one moving violation many moons ago. It's not how you row the gears, it's how you train your mine to recognize a bad situation and react accordingly.

Unfortunately as we all know, sometimes the stars are not aligned, but you don't want to be the cause of a car crash.

Anyway we can debate this ad-nauseum, but I am happy Infiniti toned down the D mode. It now operates within parameters, I find more than acceptable.

Quick Reply: G37 7speed transmission reprogram