Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Paddle Shifters on non sport G37 sedan

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-2010, 12:03 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKG37X
I have a question for anyone who has paddle shifters ...
If you're driving in D mode, and you want to downshift one gear, do you have to first bring the shifter to the left to the DS/Man Mode and then flick the paddle to downshift? Or do you just flick the paddle without ever touching the shifter, leaving it in D?
You just flick it, no need to touch the console shifter. However, with the console shifter in "D", the car will revert back to "D" mode after a few seconds, or after you're done playing.

If you shift the console shifter to the DS position, paddle shifts will remain in manual mode until you go back to "D".
Old 12-17-2010, 09:28 AM
BLKG37X

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
You just flick it, no need to touch the console shifter. However, with the console shifter in "D", the car will revert back to "D" mode after a few seconds, or after you're done playing.

If you shift the console shifter to the DS position, paddle shifts will remain in manual mode until you go back to "D".
Ok so now I'm confused... not for long term playing around, but for a sigle quick downshift... do you leave it in D?
Old 12-17-2010, 10:30 AM
CaptainObvious
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BLKG37X
Ok so now I'm confused... not for long term playing around, but for a sigle quick downshift... do you leave it in D?
You can leave it in "D" but if you downshift with the paddle & then accelerate, it will hold the gear to red-line until you shift again, even bounce off the limiter as it is essentially in manual mode at this point.
So, what you do is go ahead and flick it while in "D" for a manually forced downshift, accelerate, up-shift again to cruising gear and then after cruising for a very short while with little to no throttle position change, it will go back to "D" by itself. Also, if you downshift with the paddle, accelerate a little, then do nothing (hold particular throttle position) it will also go back to "D" eventually. If you happen to put in into "DS" mode before it changes back automatically, it will go to and stay in manual mode.
sorry, beancounter10 was giving wrong information...
Old 12-17-2010, 07:12 PM
TinsleyC

Anyone know what tells the tranny it's okay to go back into D? I would assume vaccuum, but maybe not.

While in D, I can drop down a gear with the paddle. If I keep the car at a higher RPM (say, 4,000) it will remain in that gear what seems to be indefinately. However, if I back down to a lower rpm, it will revert back to D.

BLKG37X - I know this all sounds confusing and frankly it sort of is - but once you give it a try you will understand it all. Here's an example -

Driving in traffic in D, going 40. Car is likely in 5th or 7th. I see an opening and pull the left paddle once. Tranny will go to 5th if it was in 7th (it always skips 6th for some reason) or to 4th if it was in 5th. The dash display will read 4 or 5. You speed up, make your move, and then either wait for it to revert back to D, or upshift once with the right paddle, and it'll revert back to D sooner than it if you just wait with the car running at a higher RPM.

I need to clarify my 2nd paragraph. If the car is in D and you've downshifted with the paddle to 4th, and you're varying your RPM's between, say, 3k and 5k, it'll remain in 4th unless you change it. But if you settle down and run at a lower RPM, it'll revert back to D.
Old 12-17-2010, 10:56 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Got a set for sale. Pretty much brand new for $200 plus shipping.

https://www.myg37.com/forums/private...ifter-kit.html
Old 12-19-2010, 12:07 AM
MOONLIGHT37

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
just installed ambiance lights in my infiniti, was buy far the most challanging car i have ever worked on! so if i get paddle shifters anyone in kansas city willing to help me
Old 12-20-2010, 03:18 PM
BLKG37X

Originally Posted by CaptainObvious
You can leave it in "D" but if you downshift with the paddle & then accelerate, it will hold the gear to red-line until you shift again, even bounce off the limiter as it is essentially in manual mode at this point.
So, what you do is go ahead and flick it while in "D" for a manually forced downshift, accelerate, up-shift again to cruising gear and then after cruising for a very short while with little to no throttle position change, it will go back to "D" by itself. Also, if you downshift with the paddle, accelerate a little, then do nothing (hold particular throttle position) it will also go back to "D" eventually. If you happen to put in into "DS" mode before it changes back automatically, it will go to and stay in manual mode.
sorry, beancounter10 was giving wrong information...
Originally Posted by TinsleyC
Anyone know what tells the tranny it's okay to go back into D? I would assume vaccuum, but maybe not.

While in D, I can drop down a gear with the paddle. If I keep the car at a higher RPM (say, 4,000) it will remain in that gear what seems to be indefinately. However, if I back down to a lower rpm, it will revert back to D.

BLKG37X - I know this all sounds confusing and frankly it sort of is - but once you give it a try you will understand it all. Here's an example -

Driving in traffic in D, going 40. Car is likely in 5th or 7th. I see an opening and pull the left paddle once. Tranny will go to 5th if it was in 7th (it always skips 6th for some reason) or to 4th if it was in 5th. The dash display will read 4 or 5. You speed up, make your move, and then either wait for it to revert back to D, or upshift once with the right paddle, and it'll revert back to D sooner than it if you just wait with the car running at a higher RPM.

I need to clarify my 2nd paragraph. If the car is in D and you've downshifted with the paddle to 4th, and you're varying your RPM's between, say, 3k and 5k, it'll remain in 4th unless you change it. But if you settle down and run at a lower RPM, it'll revert back to D.
Thanks guys, now I understand. I'm just not sure if my car is pre-wired for this. It's a 2010 X with premium pkg/backup cam. If it is prewired, then I will start dropping hints to my girlfriend, just in time for the holidays
Old 12-21-2010, 10:05 AM
LightsOut

^^^
its pre wired.
Old 12-21-2010, 10:28 PM
photoalexd

I confirm - it's pre-wired. Installed a set of paddle shifters on my '10 G37x myself in 15-20 minutes.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:43 AM
TinsleyC

Originally Posted by photoalexd
I confirm - it's pre-wired. Installed a set of paddle shifters on my '10 G37x myself in 15-20 minutes.
So... what do ya think?

It took me a bit to get used to it, but now I use them daily.
Old 12-22-2010, 12:59 AM
HappyG

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by photoalexd
Did you have to take out the air bag? I read the DIY thread and it looks complicated to me. I don't really want to mess with the air bag.

In any case, congrats for doing it in about 15 minutes. Hope you enjoy your paddle shifters.
Old 12-22-2010, 09:32 AM
PeterUbers

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I never use the paddles.
Old 12-22-2010, 10:01 AM
LightsOut

I dont have them and proably wont get them for awhile. But good thing about paddle shifters is quicker down shifts. Coming to a light at higher speed, or taking a turn, down shift click of the paddle is much easier and faster.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:06 AM
photoalexd

I definitely like them, use them every time I'm driving all alone

I didn't have to remove the wheel/air bag. You can just turn the wheel all the way to the left and to the right in order to install these shifters.
Old 12-22-2010, 11:46 AM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by FishMeetFish
Did you have to take out the air bag? I read the DIY thread and it looks complicated to me. I don't really want to mess with the air bag.

In any case, congrats for doing it in about 15 minutes. Hope you enjoy your paddle shifters.
There is a way to do without having to take out the air bag. The info is buried somewhere in this forum

Quick Reply: Paddle Shifters on non sport G37 sedan