Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Car not starting after audio install

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2010, 08:55 PM
bingpwr
Registered Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I was gonna say fuel pump or you're out of gas?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:55 AM
EnfinitI

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So they tested everything and everything seems to be ok (fuses etc) but the fuel pump still isn't running. The only thing they couldn't test was the fuel pump relay which we couldn't find.

The installer contacted a friend of his and he said that it sounds like the Immobilizer has kicked in or some such and that is why the fuel pump isn't running. This would require a rekey of the car or some such. Does that make sense to anyone?
Old 12-04-2010, 11:58 AM
Fezzik

Received 57 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by EnfinitI
So they tested everything and everything seems to be ok (fuses etc) but the fuel pump still isn't running. The only thing they couldn't test was the fuel pump relay which we couldn't find.

The installer contacted a friend of his and he said that it sounds like the Immobilizer has kicked in or some such and that is why the fuel pump isn't running. This would require a rekey of the car or some such. Does that make sense to anyone?
That's what I had thought originally. Did you try putting the key into the socket on the left side behind the drivers door. Put a fuel pressure guage on and see if it builds.
Old 12-04-2010, 12:10 PM
EnfinitI

We had tried putting the key in the socket already and we actually took the back seat out and the cover over the fuel pump and listened to it directly and it never made a peep so something is preventing it from switching on.

We're going to tow it to InfinitI today as they said they should be able to use the Consult III system to reset it or figure out what the problem is if that isn't it.
Old 12-04-2010, 01:25 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Doesn't make sense to me. The immobilizer disables the fuel pump if it does not detect the intelligent key. However, since the car is letting you turn it on, it's recognizing the intelligent key. I'd suggest that you try another remote and putting the remote into the slot.
Old 12-04-2010, 09:19 PM
Fezzik

yeah I originally thought that too and Enfiniti said that the key missing is not showing. I'm thinking it recognizes the key but the anti theft has kicked in or something got disconnected
Old 12-05-2010, 09:05 PM
Modme
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 56 Posts
Just thought of a another thing that could be causing it. If you have an auto transmission, they might've damaged the gear signal wire. In other words, the car does not think you're in P or N, so it wont let the engine start.
Old 12-06-2010, 01:41 PM
EnfinitI

I've got a 6MT so unfortunately that isn't it . I'm supposed to hear from the shop today so hopefully I'll know something soon.
Old 12-06-2010, 02:30 PM
Fezzik

Or if you have a 6mt the wire or switch that is pushed in so the car knows the clutch is pushed in may be damaged. or disconnected during the install
Old 12-10-2010, 12:42 PM
EnfinitI

The car is at Infiniti finally and they said that somehow the immobilizer did trip and that is why the fuel pump wasn't coming on. They are going to have to rekey the thing it appears. We don't have an answer as of yet as to what exactly caused it to activate in the first place though.

I'll update this when I get that info.
Old 12-10-2010, 12:49 PM
Fezzik

Wow. Good to hear at least they Know what's wrong.
Old 12-11-2010, 05:30 PM
EnfinitI

The car is back up and running and Infiniti doesn't really know what tripped the thing either. They guessed that it was due to the fact that the battery was disconnected for a long period of time.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:56 PM
Fezzik

Hmm. Odd. I've had my battery disconnected for about a week. No probs. I'd say if someone bumped against it maybe it set it off.

BUT great to hear its running now. How does it sound?>
Old 12-14-2010, 06:19 PM
EnfinitI

Here's an odd update to this whole story. The car came back from Infiniti and the drivers side power seat and steering wheel wouldn't move at all. The relays and all were clicking over and everything but the seat wouldn't move. It worked fine before it went to Infiniti.

The audio guy called up Infiniti at 9am to find out wtf they did since all they were supposed to do was get the car started and they didn't return his call when I got there to look things over at 4pm. I called them up and was like "wtf is this crap about? You get the car starting but you break my seat and steering wheel and don't even mention it or why it would be broken in the first place?" and they said "I asked the tech at lunch to call so I'm surprised he hasn't called back. I'll get him to call you right away.".

So the tech calls back and talks to the audio guy. when he gets done he tells me the tech said "We didn't do it all we did was reconnect some stuff. Best of luck on your project."

So I call the service manager back and talk to him about the brush off from the tech. He says "We don't know but since he's modified so much stuff it's probably something he did so we can't help you but you can bring it back in and we can fix it for you (This type of thing isn't covered under warranty so it would cost us for them to fix it)." I then asked him how no one noticed if the seat and steering wheel were or weren't working when the car got there. He said "Well I didn't try to move the seat so I don't know if it was working when it got here. Since I don't know if it was working when it got here I don't know what to tell you."

So then I ask him what exactly they did to get the car to start again. Here is the interesting part. He says "There were some connections loose in the IPDM module next to the battery, behind the center consolue and under the drivers area which is why it wasn't starting." I was like "wtf? I thought it was the immobilizer." I was actually at the audio shop when the car wasn't starting and actually helped them pull that IPDM out and open it up to check it and everything was fine. The fuses were checked and so were the connections. So I am really at a loss now as to what exactly the cause of the car not starting was if it was just some loose connections and not the immobilizer. I missed the window of time to call Infiniti today to see if I could get the tech to tell me exactly why the car wasn't starting so I can get the whole story. when I call Infiniti of Charlotte tomorrow and hopefully get the whole story from the tech I'll update this.

I finally figured out what was causing the seat and steering wheel to not work after scavenging the service manual. There is a speed sensor that plugs into the back of the "Unified meter and A/C amp. M67" module (from the service manual it has a big number 9 in black on it) in the center console directly under the factory screen. This sensor was unplugged somehow so the seat wasn't getting a signal as to if the car was or wasn't moving so it defaulted to "moving" which prevented the seat and the steering column from moving. This was something that the audio guy said he never touched or removed since it wasn't near anything he needed to mess with. I don't see how you could accidentally knock out the plug since it has locking tabs on it so it can't just fall out. Since the Infiniti guy had been behind the center console checking plugs and such I'm guessing he was the one that left it unplugged but I guess we'll never actually know.

P.S.

I don't know how it sounds yet I'm picking it up tonight. I'll let you know when I get back.
Old 12-15-2010, 10:51 AM
s2ktoEvo

Welcome to the joys of car modification. When it all works as intended people fight for the credit, when it doesn't they all point fingers at the other guy... Actually that's just life in general .

You really are kind of screwed with any electrical problems at this point. Infiniti will never accept responsibility since its been messed with so much, and the installer will probably deny any wrong doing if he can get it out of his shop working.

But at least this part of the saga is at a close. Lets just hope your installer didn't screw anything up.

Last edited by s2ktoEvo; 12-15-2010 at 12:40 PM.

Quick Reply: Help Car not starting after audio install