Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help ECU PIDs. Anyone know anything about them?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2010, 11:59 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
ECU PIDs. Anyone know anything about them?

I just got the PLX Devices Kiwi Wifi module to plug into the OBD II port to use along with the iPhone apps to monitor different things and do some data logging. The two different apps I've tried are Rev and DashCommand. Both are really cool and work pretty well but are missing a few things. DashCommand can monitor all the standard PIDs and I am able to see coolant temp, intake temp, timing advance, throttle position and more, but there are a few more that I want to see but it cant.

The nice thing is it has the option to add your own PIDs that are vehicle or manufacturer specific, i just don't know what they are. The main 2 that I'm wanting are OIL temp and A/F ratio. I know they can be monitored with UpRev Cypher so if I can find out the PID parameters for them I should be able to add them into dashcommand on my phone. Does anyone have any idea?
Old 11-28-2010, 12:46 PM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't you need additional sensors to be able to monitor those? i highly doubt a company would give those vital options away for free.

i just looked on their website, i think you need to buy the additional sensors to be able to monitor. egt, boost, a/f, oil temp, oil pressure.

most more than likely you need to add these sensors

http://plxdevices.com/sensormodules.html

Last edited by Weiboy718; 11-28-2010 at 12:53 PM.
Old 11-28-2010, 01:29 PM
wakeboardr116

Those are for if you don't already have them built in. The G37 already has a factory wideband 02 sensor and oil temp sensor. Otherwise there would have been no way for the tuner to monitor them when he did the tune. Most auto manufacturers have their own set of enhanced PIDs along with the standard OBD II ones. The DashCommand program only monitors the standard pids but has the ability to add enhanced pids. I just need to know the parameters or whatever for them.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:46 AM
kRAM
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Did you ever find out the parameters? How is the kiwi wifi module? I've been looking at it for awhile and I'm still not sure if it's worth it. Which app are you using it with for your iphone?
Old 12-01-2010, 10:16 AM
wakeboardr116

Yeah I went over to the dashcommand forums and got some help. DashCommand is the app I'm using on the iPhone. Turns out you can't add manufacture r enhanced PID's, but I was able to get the A/F ratio working. So the only thing I'm missing that I kind of wanted was oil temp readings. It's not too big a deal though.

It just depends on what all you are wanting to do. I'd say its worth it for me since I track the car, so now I have a way of monitoring everything when I do. Also the dashcommand app has a lot of other cool features to track fuel economy and other things very precisely.

Oh and if you have a jailbroken iPhone you can download cracked versions of dashcommand and Rev apps for free. I also bought this windshield mount for my phone for 3 bucks it it works amazingly.
Old 12-01-2010, 10:46 AM
Weiboy718

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeboardr116
Yeah I went over to the dashcommand forums and got some help. DashCommand is the app I'm using on the iPhone. Turns out you can't add manufacture r enhanced PID's, but I was able to get the A/F ratio working. So the only thing I'm missing that I kind of wanted was oil temp readings. It's not too big a deal though.

It just depends on what all you are wanting to do. I'd say its worth it for me since I track the car, so now I have a way of monitoring everything when I do. Also the dashcommand app has a lot of other cool features to track fuel economy and other things very precisely.

Oh and if you have a jailbroken iPhone you can download cracked versions of dashcommand and Rev apps for free. I also bought this windshield mount for my phone for 3 bucks it it works amazingly.
So you do need to add additional sensors for the other stuff?

I wished my hks camp 2 can display a/f right out the box
Old 12-01-2010, 11:10 AM
shumby

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by wakeboardr116

wake tell me exactly what i gotto do to get my A/F on my iphone. plz plz PM me with this info it is all that i am missing from my camp 2. only issue is my camp to is pluged into the OBD II port. so i think what you got set up will not work for me. plz drop me a PM
Old 12-01-2010, 11:12 AM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by Weiboy718
So you do need to add additional sensors for the other stuff?

I wished my hks camp 2 can display a/f right out the box

If you want to you can. The Kiwi wifi the ability to add on other sensors, but I don't really need to. The sensor for the oil temp is already there, it is just not a standard OBDII sensor. It is a manufacurer enhanced PID. It just depends on what software you have to read it. Since uprev specializes in Nissan/Infiniti they have added support for Nissan enhanced PIDs in their software. The iPhone apps are for more general use so they don't support the manufacturer PIDs.

At least this is how I understand it after talking on the dashcommand support forums.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:23 AM
wakeboardr116

Originally Posted by shumby
wake tell me exactly what i gotto do to get my A/F on my iphone. plz plz PM me with this info it is all that i am missing from my camp 2. only issue is my camp to is pluged into the OBD II port. so i think what you got set up will not work for me. plz drop me a PM

pm sent...
Old 12-01-2010, 12:32 PM
kRAM
Registered Member

Received 21 Likes on 11 Posts
Yea I was looking at a couple apps on installous. Have you tried Rev? I heard that was a pretty good app also.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:05 PM
wakeboardr116

Yeah Rev is good. It is nice and simple to use, but it doesn't have a fraction of the features that dashcommand has.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:17 PM
mozy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've been looking for this info on-and-off for almost two years, haven't found a good answer other than "Buy ConsultIII".

They're proprietary for a reason. I have both a bluetooth OBDII and a USB device, have been able to sniff the CAN bus (more info than OBDII, obviously) and its all greek to me until I can figure out the exact PID's.

AutoEnginuity® - OBD2 Scan Tool - Professional PC and PDA Diagnostics has some software that they say can read proprietary data but its kind of pricey.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:55 PM
wakeboardr116

I talked with the people on the palmer performance engineering website who makes the DashCommand app and they said they are working to add as many manufacturer enhanced PIDs as possible. It's just a matter of which manufacuters they do first and how long it takes them.