Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Tuner only got 5 hp gain

Search this Thread

Old 11-16-2010, 07:53 PM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
but this is why cobb does not support anything and stopped selling the g37 accessports now
Old 11-16-2010, 07:57 PM
advan37

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
which dyno ?
Old 11-16-2010, 09:21 PM
infamousstunna1

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey fellas, can anyone of you guys elaborate on how different the infiniti ecu is vs cobb's stock style map? and does the stock style map also raise the rpm's?
thanks.
Old 11-16-2010, 10:23 PM
w0ady

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
kind of hard to judge without a stock baseline. these cars are slightly different from the factory so you cant say because someone else got xxx hp, you'll get xxx hp. maybe the average is 10 hp gains with +/- 5 hp variance and you just happen to be at the low end. just too many factors and maybe the extra time he put in was him actually trying to help you get more rather than give up?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:32 AM
draper

it was disappointing because he somewhat guaranteed numbers above 10 hp but he seem to blame it on the bugs in software, maybe someone with experience with 'AccessTuner Race' can chime in. And again at the end he said that it is doable with Uprev !!

Cobb has asked for what was done and this was his response
The tables that I remember modifying and not seeing any live changes in were:

Primary Fuel
Primary Ignition A
Primary Ignition B

And finally, the main fuel compensation tables (Fuel Mix A, B, C) show RPM values ONLY going to 3750rpm – hence why we had to tune with the Primary Fuel table. It was possible to modify the X axis but I didn’t know if this would have ill effects in the lower rpm. I figure this is a glitch in the software and the actual higher rpm values are just not being displayed.

Let me know what the guys say at COBB, good luck!

I’ll get you that dyno graph tomorrow, just have the dyno put away right now. Just a FYI your car made almost the same power as a full bolt-on 370z AT we had here with intakes, high flow cats, full exhaust etc. So your car is right there power wise, it just came in running really well. Normally I would see these cars running in the 11s (AFR) stock, your car was up around high 12s out of the box. So don’t be disappointed in the lack of gains, your car is making great power!

I think it was a dynapack dyno and not sure how the a/f ratio was monitored as I didn't see any sniffers on the exhaust or hfc bung.

Last edited by draper; 11-17-2010 at 12:47 AM.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 AM
da mayor

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
as a tuner, how can you not run a baseline dyno before starting?
Old 11-17-2010, 12:38 AM
wakeboardr116

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
You were probably not seeing any changes with Ignition because you were doing the pulls in 4th. This is the problem I ran into (on my 5AT). When we did pulls in 4th the temps would rise fairly quickly and when that happens VVEL just takes over and does its own thing. You can advance the timing all day long but VVEL just does what it wants. It will even do this in third too if you don't let the engine cool down a bit between pulls. The second time I went to the shop we pulled in 3rd gear and tried to start each pull with oil temps at or below 185 so each run was consistent. Even with an increase in temps of just 5 degrees we could start to see VVEL kicking in a bit.

But as far as the fuel tables go, that definatly sounds like more of a problem in the software. We never had any problems with fuel. But again this was all with UpRev.
Old 11-17-2010, 12:52 AM
draper

wakerboard: looks like things you mentioned need to be done exclusively with G37 and a tuner who has done more than a couple would know this. I guess even an Uprev tune wouldn't do much if he does things the way he does.
Old 11-17-2010, 03:50 AM
808MIKE

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Hmm, this almost sounds similar to my gains!? But my car is a VQ35 HR 6Spd Manual Trans, in a Sedan. But I did the same as you did. I never ran a baseline test on my car, so I'll never really know how much I gained with my Mods. But on the first Pull usuing the same COBB "Stock Style Map" ....I got like 275HP to the wheels, and after like 5-7 pulls later, with the A/F Ratio adjusted to no be so Rich. I got like 280HP to the wheels!

And I gotta remeber that every Dyno is diffrent! The Tuner I went to was Highly recommmended by the my Local 350Z guy's, since he tuned alot of the older VQ engines, and does Turbo Evo's and everything in-between, LOL. I was kinda dissapointed at the numbers, but car runs so much better, and the top end power is nuts! even from a Stop, I can spin my heavy 20's on every shift up to 3rd. which it never did before! So go figure, LOL

Heres one of my Dyno sheets. this was done at a diffrent place, same dyno, but diffrent day, my other frnd here, specializes in high power mustangs and anything turbo or Supercharged! he done it all, this was just to get runs and A/F ratio done. no tuning, and this was a 5th gear Run, and hit a top speed at redline at 150MPH!! LOL.

Old 11-17-2010, 09:47 AM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
a vq35 hp basline is less.
personally I know someone with a hr35 motor on a 06.
he gained 30whp with his tune from alterted atmosphere.
Old 11-17-2010, 10:12 AM
Philip8969

keep in mind that it is not all about peak power gains. What you really want is more area under the curve. Perhaps the guy tuned it to give you a really nice smooth flat curve instead of peaky max power points. Would help to see the dyno sheet.
Old 11-17-2010, 11:30 AM
draper

I'll post the dyno results as soon as I get it. But as per wakeboardr116 experience and few others I think the tuner makes a huge difference. Any tuner who says that the car doesn't need much tune and makes minimal gains is inexperienced.

but I've noticed few features that were added to the car with Stock style map as that is what is running on the car now,
- car doesn't turn off when lights are ON and start/stop button is pressed
- gives a warning/chime if car is driven with hand brake ON.
Old 11-18-2010, 01:23 PM
draper

Got dyno. what do you guys think? Is there room for improvement?
Attached Thumbnails Tuner only got 5 hp gain-sgdynog37mod.jpg  
Old 11-18-2010, 06:32 PM
1SiCkG
Banned

Cobb acess port = fail you should have went with uprev
Old 11-18-2010, 07:15 PM
Harley'sG

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by draper
Got dyno. what do you guys think? Is there room for improvement?
After looking at that dyno sheet then yes, there is a lot more to be gained. Not sure if you can do it with cobb but I know with uprev and a good tuner you surely can get more throughout. I would be asking for my money back. Not sure that I would trust him to figure it out since it doesn't look like he knows what to do with our 37's or maybe it's the cobb. ???

Quick Reply: Tuner only got 5 hp gain