Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Problems in the DS mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 03:13 PM
AnalogWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems in the DS mode

Besides the engine braking locks the rear wheels problem described here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...n-ds-mode.html

Another problem that I experienced in the DS mode was that it doesn't up-shift after aggressive accelerations. For example, I was getting on a freeway, flooring the gas to accelerate to about 5Krpm at 70mph (don't know which gear it was in), then I slowly release the gas pedal for highway speed cruising, normally it would up-shift for more smooth highway driving, but the transmission got stuck at the same gear at 4-5Krpm! It didn't up-shift and the car was dragged by the engine braking. So I have to either manually do the up-shift or put it back to the D mode to have it shift to a higher gear! However, if you accelerate moderately at the beginning of getting on the freeway, it up-shifts fine in this DS mode.

I am not sure if these behaviors are normal to real racing drivers, but it doesn't seem normal to me. I guess the DS mode wasn't meant for daily driving!
Old 10-21-2010, 03:32 PM
MPULSE

dont know if i have this problem. When i drive in DS mode i manually shift the gears myself (up or down) using the peddle shifters. I thought thats the whole purpose of shifters in DS mode. If i want the car to shift for me at high rpm's i stay in normal mode D.
Old 10-21-2010, 03:38 PM
hadokenuh

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by AnalogWorld
Besides the engine braking locks the rear wheels problem described here:

https://www.myg37.com/forums/g37-sed...n-ds-mode.html

Another problem that I experienced in the DS mode was that it doesn't up-shift after aggressive accelerations. For example, I was getting on a freeway, flooring the gas to accelerate to about 5Krpm at 70mph (don't know which gear it was in), then I slowly release the gas pedal for highway speed cruising, normally it would up-shift for more smooth highway driving, but the transmission got stuck at the same gear at 4-5Krpm! It didn't up-shift and the car was dragged by the engine braking. So I have to either manually do the up-shift or put it back to the D mode to have it shift to a higher gear! However, if you accelerate moderately at the beginning of getting on the freeway, it up-shifts fine in this DS mode.

I am not sure if these behaviors are normal to real racing drivers, but it doesn't seem normal to me. I guess the DS mode wasn't meant for daily driving!
This topic has been beaten to dead. This is normal behavior in DS. It doesn't up shift because when you decide to push that pedal again, the power will be available right then. You were either in 4th or 5th gear.

If you are in DS and accelerate slowly, it'll behave like it's in D.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:24 AM
Mockenrue

DS mode isn't good for highway driving. It holds gear/rpm when you accelerate heavily and never gets to 7th gear. I use DS all the time in suburban and city driving, but switch to D on the highway. I only wish there was a way to keep it in DS after making a manual shift. I almost never shift manually, but when it locks 3rd gear and 3k after only a short burst is needed, I'd like to make a quick adjustment without having to go back and forth between D and DS.
Old 10-22-2010, 09:52 PM
KLB

You'll find that if you do not drive aggressive a lot that over time DS will not hold the RPMs that high all the time.
Old 10-23-2010, 12:26 AM
terrycs
Registered Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
It would have shifted if you took it to redline.
Old 10-23-2010, 02:06 AM
mw09g37

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ha had to read that thing a couple times... but uh.. 5k is flooring it? lol

but yeah DS mode while spirited driving... will not shift to 6 or 7.

if you don't, it'll let you cruise into 6 and 7...

no worries man, the TCM is smarter than you are... just live with it... ha ha j/k. nah it's normal.

Last edited by mw09g37; 10-23-2010 at 02:12 AM.