Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Help Just Ordered my 4.08 Final Drive

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2010, 07:51 PM
kosstick

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ivoidwarranties
"Nismo differential for $1150", is that for a differential or for the whole housing? Sometimes people use "differential" when describing the whole rear end, when the "differential" is actually one of many parts inside the housing.
It is on their website it is called NISMO LSD KIT. I am not entirely sure. Regardless I have decided to not go through with this mod and I have put of the ring and pinion for sale on Classified for $525. I paid $552 but its better than paying restocking fee.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:15 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
I thought it was the diff housing that was different on the auto's? :/

I also know that aftermarket LSD's will not fit the auto's without changing the housing from the auto version to manual. I don't know what other parts are required for such a swap.

To me it sounds like >>
the stock VLSD's are the same on 5AT/7AT/6MT
the ring and pinion are different but same design/fitment
but the housing on the 6MT can accommodate the 4.08 gears whereas the 5AT/7AT can't.
Old 10-20-2010, 08:30 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
I thought it was the diff housing that was different on the auto's? :/

I also know that aftermarket LSD's will not fit the auto's without changing the housing from the auto version to manual. I don't know what other parts are required for such a swap.

To me it sounds like >>
the stock VLSD's are the same on 5AT/7AT/6MT
the ring and pinion are different but same design/fitment
but the housing on the 6MT can accommodate the 4.08 gears whereas the 5AT/7AT can't.
From everything I've read, you are correct.
Old 10-21-2010, 01:14 PM
kosstick

Adam at Z1 Performance said the housing is the same but the guts are different.

Here is the LSD He was talking about Z-1 Performance Automotive Services Inc. - NISMO LSD Kit 350Z/G35
Old 10-21-2010, 09:27 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

If the housing is the same then GREAT! You want a different differential to replace the crap VLSD anyway.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:41 PM
kosstick

If the housing is the same then GREAT! You want a different differential to replace the crap VLSD anyway.
Ya I am thinking about getting the nismo I just might not sell the final drive. Just need to find out if they are 100% sure about the housing being the same so I wont be surprised during installation.

Also is NISMO LSD technically aftermarket isn't it still a NISSAN product? Anyone know if Aftermarket LSDS have issues exceediing 100k mile mark?
Old 10-22-2010, 12:11 AM
Q8y_drifter

The housing is the same? sweet. So I still don't understand why AT G's can't fit most (if not all) aftermarket LSD's. Can someone from Z1 comment on this issue? :/
Old 10-22-2010, 09:50 AM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I have no idea why everyone was saying the housing needs changed if it's not true. I hope it not true but now there are two more conflicting bits of information.

I don't know if you've checked these links out yet but there is some useful info in them. Personally, I think I'd go with a Quaife. Adjustablity is overrated unless you are on a race team, and clutch type units are are prone to requiring a lot of maintenance. I know nothing about the Nismo LSD.

Which Diff? - Nissan 370Z Forum

VHR + FD Gear Ratio upgrades - 3.9 and 4.08 - Nissan 370Z Forum

Kaaz Diff.? - Nissan 370Z Forum

The Big LSD FAQ thread (About various Limited Slip Differentials) - MY350Z.COM Forums

There's a lot more links out there if you have the time to search.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:13 AM
kosstick

I have no idea why everyone was saying the housing needs changed if it's not true. I hope it not true but now there are two more conflicting bits of information.

I don't know if you've checked these links out yet but there is some useful info in them. Personally, I think I'd go with a Quaife. Adjustablity is overrated unless you are on a race team, and clutch type units are are prone to requiring a lot of maintenance. I know nothing about the Nismo LSD.

Which Diff? - Nissan 370Z Forum

VHR + FD Gear Ratio upgrades - 3.9 and 4.08 - Nissan 370Z Forum

Kaaz Diff.? - Nissan 370Z Forum

The Big LSD FAQ thread (About various Limited Slip Differentials) - MY350Z.COM Forums

There's a lot more links out there if you have the time to search.
In General do you think a Aftermarket LSD would last on a Auto Tranny?
Old 10-22-2010, 11:03 AM
tollboothwilley

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
For the G35 the AUTO has a DIFFERENT ring/pinion size than the MANUAL - unless it came with STOCK LSD. stock LSD works with the different ring/pinions. The OPEN (non-locking) pumpkins are a slightly different size. Completely interchangeable as long as you have the stub axles as well.

Your best option if you want to do this is to KEEP the gears and find a different pumpkin. You can find one on ebay or in the marketplace for relatively cheap and then swap gears. At the end of the lease period all you need to do is swap stock pumpkin and then you can sell the 4.08 geared pumpkin.
Old 10-22-2010, 11:13 AM
kosstick

Originally Posted by tollboothwilley
For the G35 the AUTO has a DIFFERENT ring/pinion size than the MANUAL - unless it came with STOCK LSD. stock LSD works with the different ring/pinions. The OPEN (non-locking) pumpkins are a slightly different size. Completely interchangeable as long as you have the stub axles as well.

Your best option if you want to do this is to KEEP the gears and find a different pumpkin. You can find one on ebay or in the marketplace for relatively cheap and then swap gears. At the end of the lease period all you need to do is swap stock pumpkin and then you can sell the 4.08 geared pumpkin.
Ebay seems to be down right now... I dont know why lolll. Any idea what the price may be for a g37 manual pumpkin .
Old 10-22-2010, 11:54 AM
Q8y_drifter

Ivoidwarranties, I just made a thread on G35driver comparing the 370Z diff with the G35 sedan. If you have a copy of the FSM and check the Driveline section, you can confirm the specifications for the G37 coupe (5AT/7AT/6MT)

Technical info regarding rear differential - G35Driver

Thanks.
Old 10-22-2010, 12:16 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I just got off the phone with Adam from Z1. I should have called them a year ago (I'm a dumbass for not doing that).

The pumpkin is the same for every car. The axle stubs are different between cars with factory LSD and cars without factory LSD. The LSD differential and the gear set is different between cars with an automatic and cars with a manual.

If I were doing an entire housing swap, meaning pulling the stock out and putting a new pumpkin with a new LSD and gears in, this is what I'd need:

-A new/used axle housing from a car with factory LSD (because it has the correct axle stub shafts). It would have to come from a manual if you planned on reusing the crap factory VLSD.

-A new Quaife differential. Or reuse the crap factory VLSD if it came from a manual. Or differential of your choice.

-A new 4.08 ring and pinion set. Or gear set of your choice.

-A gear set installation kit, ie. seals, shims, and bearings.
Old 10-22-2010, 01:06 PM
Q8y_drifter

Is the same true for the G35 HR sedan?

The FSM shows exactly the same FD ratio for LSD/non-LSD/5AT/6MT as well as the same L/R axles. The only difference is the driveshaft flange between the 5AT and 6MT.

This is confusing me even more haha

The V35 G's and Z33 Z's had all kinds of different FD's and diff components depending on the options which made swaps a mess. I don't think the same can be said for the V36 but then again I'm only going by exploded views and parts lists in the FSM.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:37 PM
Ivoidwarranties
Premier Member

I don't know what to tell you about the sedan's, I didn't ask any direct questions about them.

I did just get off the phone with Richard from Uprev and he says the wheel speed signal comes from the ABS control unit and he has no control over that at this time. They work solely with the ECU he says. But, I had to tell him that the manuals did not lose cc when changing gears and that was news to him, he thought they did.

So if you have an auto, no cruise control for you.

Quick Reply: Help Just Ordered my 4.08 Final Drive