Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Slid in DS mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2010, 03:54 PM
AnalogWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Slid in DS mode

How are you guys! Proud to be one of the 2010 G37 owners! Just wondering if you guys have experienced the following scenario.

I was getting off a freeway, going at about 60mph in the DS mode, saw the traffic light suddenly turns yellow, so I mildly stepped on the brake and tried to slow down, but my car responded to this was by down shifted to about 3-4krpm (40-50mph but don't know which gear was in), during that time, I heard the tires were screeching and felt that I lost the control of it for about 1-2 seconds.

Also, this is a repeatable experiment as long as I am driving it in the DS mode, nothing like this will happen in the D mode. So I am wondering if this is a known issue or just for my car?

Last edited by AnalogWorld; 10-07-2010 at 05:54 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:40 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
it's the downshift rev matching. it's normal. this will be more aggressive in DS mode compare to D mode.
Old 10-07-2010, 04:41 PM
LightsOut

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
its an issue called rev matching.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:13 PM
MOB

Originally Posted by AnalogWorld
.......so I mildly stepped on the brake and tried to slow down, but my car responded to this is by down shifted to about 3-4krpm (40-50mph but don't know which gear is in), during that time, I heard the tires were burning and felt that I lost the control of it for about 1-2 seconds.
To my knowledge when in the DS mode, the display will only show "DS" and does not show which gear you are in and when....which is a flaw by Infiniti when programming the system in my opinion. That display should track each and every gear you are in at any given time but unfortunately it doesn't. So it doesn't surprise me that you didn't know what gear you were coming from, or going into. What I'm not following you on is that you "heard the tires burning.....and lost control of the vehicle for 1-2 seconds"? Confused....
Old 10-07-2010, 05:39 PM
AnalogWorld

Originally Posted by sniper27
it's the downshift rev matching. it's normal. this will be more aggressive in DS mode compare to D mode.
Thanks for the inputs!

So it's normal to have the tires screeching and the car sliding while rev matching?

Last edited by AnalogWorld; 10-07-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:48 PM
Austin713

Received 19 Likes on 12 Posts
i seriously doubt your car was sliding or your tires were burning? when i am in DS and i hit the brakes as hard as i can the car aggresivly downshifts to engine brake and help pull the car to a quicker stop, as well as put me in the correct gear to go into a corner in. i have actually listened for it and kept track of the gears it goes into and out of and it is exactly what i would do 99% of the time if it were a 5 speed manual.
Old 10-07-2010, 05:52 PM
sniper27

Received 79 Likes on 72 Posts
i'm not sure what you mean by tires burning and sliding? were you skidding?
Old 10-07-2010, 05:59 PM
AnalogWorld

It was more like the tires were screeching, and I am not sure if it were skidded, but I felt I lost control of the steering during that time.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:19 PM
MOB

I think it really comes down to getting to know your car better.
Old 10-07-2010, 06:30 PM
katfish711

I thought it was supposed to be very difficult (but not impossible) to get the wheels to break traction when the VDC is in the "on" mode.

If you are sure the "loss of control" was not due to road surface (sand, oil, etc.) and you truly can repeat the condition at will, I might be concerned about whether the VDC is working correctly.

Can you do a burnout from a standing stop? I can get the wheels to screech a little pulling away from a stop while cornering but they are not actually breaking traction.

I am not claiming to be an expert and it is certainly possible that I am misinformed but... my understanding was that you would have to switch off the VDC to get the wheels to spin (ala burnout).
Old 10-07-2010, 08:04 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
yet another reason to get a manual.
Old 10-07-2010, 10:21 PM
RISKY GUY

Received 43 Likes on 31 Posts
^so you can mis shift & grind your trans to death.
it's not a matter of if you will mis shift,but when & how often.
auto ftw.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:13 PM
rks
Registered Member

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts
Originally Posted by RISKY GUY
^so you can mis shift & grind your trans to death.
it's not a matter of if you will mis shift,but when & how often.
auto ftw.

If you can't 'shift' an automatic correctly; a manual is out of the question. When I was first learning to drive a manual I may have had more than a few jack-rabbit starts and ground the gears a few times but nothing since then. It should become second nature when driving. Even my wife felt like the G37 with the paddle shifters was anemic and felt emasculated.
Old 10-07-2010, 11:20 PM
dkmura
Registered Member

Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts
If anything, what AnalogWorld experienced was the ABS kicking in briefly while in DS mode. He didn't mention what the roadway conditions were (dry, wet, slanted surface on exit ramp, etc.) but its conceivable his G was responding to rapid steering response as well as the above.

So it's not a "known issue"- more than likely, it's your Infiniti saving your butt!
Old 10-07-2010, 11:38 PM
xixonmn

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by rks

If you can't 'shift' an automatic correctly; a manual is out of the question. When I was first learning to drive a manual I may have had more than a few jack-rabbit starts and ground the gears a few times but nothing since then. It should become second nature when driving. Even my wife felt like the G37 with the paddle shifters was anemic and felt emasculated.
Don't turn this into another auto-manual thread.

Quick Reply: Slid in DS mode