Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

Slid in DS mode

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2010, 12:30 AM
AnalogWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cbach1997
I've been in DS down some sharp grades through S-curves and the engine braking has been strong enough to begin to lock the rear wheels, which could result in the said scenario. VDC was on, and as the rear continued to lose grip the car eventually decided to apply a small amount of acceleration to even things out, which caught me by surprise.

Fortunately there was no one around and I'd planned on working the car out so the whole cherade was planned and I didn't lose enough control to chicken out and brake.
Exactly! The engine braking will come right after stepped on the brake, and the pull is so strong that it locks the rear wheels and cause it to skid.

Is there any fix, or is this is still normal?
Old 10-22-2010, 05:58 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
It is supposed to do that.

DS is programmed to basically downshift to the lowest available gear (within reason) anytime you are braking; it is for "spirited" driving. Generally, you should not be braking in a middle of a turn.

Originally Posted by cbach1997
I've been in DS down some sharp grades through S-curves and the engine braking has been strong enough to begin to lock the rear wheels, which could result in the said scenario. VDC was on, and as the rear continued to lose grip the car eventually decided to apply a small amount of acceleration to even things out, which caught me by surprise.

Fortunately there was no one around and I'd planned on working the car out so the whole cherade was planned and I didn't lose enough control to chicken out and brake.
Engine braking alone is not enough to cause the rear to come out. Going from on-throttle to off-throttle mid-turn with a heavy suspension load will cause the rear to come out on ANY rwd car. It's lift-off oversteer, and a very common cause of spinning out for cars without traction control and drivers who are not aware of it.

If anything, it sounds like you went into a corner too hot for the given conditions and the car saved your butt.