Engine, Drivetrain & Forced-Induction
Have Technical Questions or Done Modifications to the G37? Find out the answer in here!

DS mode, mash the throttle

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 PM
onthelimit

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PascalT
My wife refers to DS mode as "that noisy thing you put on". She knows when I get on the highway I go in "Commando Mode". ;p
LOL, man!
Old 10-11-2010, 05:30 PM
BKG37X

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My wife refers to DS mode as "that noisy thing you put on". She knows when I get on the highway I go in "Commando Mode". ;p
Haha, mine says the same thing ...
Old 10-12-2010, 08:31 PM
Q8y_drifter

Received 39 Likes on 9 Posts
I use M mode here all the time. No D or DS here
Old 10-12-2010, 09:00 PM
tympanik

Nice post! Amen!
Old 10-20-2010, 11:07 PM
cbach1997

Mine isn't far behind. That's awesome.

Old 10-20-2010, 11:23 PM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
There are threads about adding Paddles to Gs that don't have it. Relatively easy from what I read. Question is: If you have the Paddle shifters which can be engaged in D mode temporarily, after a short time period the car goes back into D mode, can you do the same while in DS mode? If so, I would very interested in adding the Paddle Shifters - which come with the S versions of the G37.
Unfortunately, no. I installed the paddles on mine about 2 weeks ago and while I love it, it does have that limitation.

When in DS mode, if you shift using a paddle, it goes into a numerical gear and stays there - except that it will downshift automatically as the car slows. It's basically the same operation as using the shifter when in DS mode. manual

But in D mode, it will go back into D after your paddle shifting is sensed to be over.
Old 10-22-2010, 04:35 PM
Almatti

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
TinsleyC, I've never had Paddle shifters. I like to drive with either one hand or two hands straddling the the center of the Steering wheel, right where the paddle shifters would be. I might find that somewhat annoying..... With Paddle Shifters do you flip up toward the driver ? or flip down toward the floor on the shifts?
Old 10-22-2010, 05:48 PM
Mike

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
This isn't a BMW. Left paddle = downshift, right paddle = upshift. You pull on the appropriate paddle.

If you use paddles while in "D", it'll go to manual until it doesn't detect input from you for roughly 10 seconds, and then go back to "D". If you do it in "DS", it'll stay in manual until you move the shifter back to "D". It's perfect when you need to go around someone, but don't want to shift to DS or manual mode. Then again, you could just floor it...
Old 10-23-2010, 03:19 AM
TinsleyC

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Almatti
TinsleyC, I've never had Paddle shifters. I like to drive with either one hand or two hands straddling the the center of the Steering wheel, right where the paddle shifters would be. I might find that somewhat annoying..... With Paddle Shifters do you flip up toward the driver ? or flip down toward the floor on the shifts?
They are conveniently placed. With the hands at 10 & 2, just reach your fingers out and will the paddle toward you, as described left is for downshift and right is upshift. They are fixed to the steering column and don't turn with the wheel, which is what you want.